V8 charging to only 86%

Kael

So for about 2 months my V8 has only charged to 97% battery. The LED light on the charger would always remain green and the bars on the wheel wouldn’t become full, no matter how long the wheel was left on charge. I figured hey, maybe the battery has degraded slightly, no big deal. I’ve done a couple of rides where I fully depleted the battery thinking maybe that would reset it, but that hasn’t helped.

This weekend it now seems my V8 gets ‘stuck’ at 86% and won’t charge any further than that. That’s a bit of an unreasonable jump and I haven’t exactly done huge amounts of riding recently to warrant that. Pretty sure you should get 300-600 cycles of 100% charging with Li-Ion batteries. Barely used my wheel over winter so I can’t have done more than 80-100.

So I’m wondering if it’s the BMS or the charger.  Anyone else had similar problems?

Edited by Kael

So it seems like you didn't really reach any kind of solution, but you're pretty sure it's a problem with the charger itself? The charging light was green at 86% charge today.

5 hours ago, Kael said:

So it seems like you didn't really reach any kind of solution, but you're pretty sure it's a problem with the charger itself? The charging light was green at 86% charge today.

Yes, I believe it is. Although somehow my chargers miraculously work again for now. Full charge with green light brings my V8 to 84.5 - 84.6V again now. So it still remains a mystery for my case. :ph34r:

That seems weird for sure. Just measured mine. It still only charges to 85% and 80.9V after running it totally flat and recharging. Messaged my support rep and will see what he says.

I honestly don't think the V8 is the ultra reliable wheel it's cracked up to be sometimes.

Edited by Kael

• 3 years later...

sorry to wake up an old topic, just bought a brand new V8F, and after a night of charging, it is only charging to 85%, so I am still looking on the web for a tip - I measured the voltage that comes out from the charger, it seems a bit low at only 84.2V with no load (electronics designer nerd here)

4 hours ago, LaurV said:

sorry to wake up an old topic, just bought a brand new V8F, and after a night of charging, it is only charging to 85%, so I am still looking on the web for a tip - I measured the voltage that comes out from the charger, it seems a bit low at only 84.2V with no load (electronics designer nerd here)

84.2V no load from the charger is perfect, as the V8F is an 84V wheel!

Most likely your battery came DOA - seems like some dead cell group or a malfunctioning BMS.

Best to get in contact with your reseller and get some replacement!

4 hours ago, Chriull said:

84.2V no load from the charger is perfect, as the V8F is an 84V wheel!

Most likely your battery came DOA - seems like some dead cell group or a malfunctioning BMS.

Best to get in contact with your reseller and get some replacement!

@LaurV Adding to this: it’s worth emphasizing that a dead cell or malfunctioning bms is what’s consistent with the issue you described. This is further indicated after confirming the charger is working as normal, which you already have.

Do not treat this matter lackadaisically. Get a replacement or refund for this worked out as soon as you can. It is not safe to ride your wheel as it may shut off mid ride without warning. A wheel that turns off mid-ride will not slow down gently, it will go immediately slack and likely cause an accident. Furthermore, I would not try and charge it anymore either. Not to say that yours will, but on rare instances electrical issues like this have preceded eucs catching on fire when ignored.

I don’t want to alarm you, but I do want to ensure you’re informed so you can meet the situation with an appropriate timely response. Best of luck to you sorting this out. 

Edited by Denny Paul
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...