Gotway Monster - Internal Charger

Monsterman

Got tired of carrying around the bulky charger to charge on the go on trips. So I had an idea to wire the charger internally, charging with the same 4-pin plug but off a 110v into the charger. Also solving the problem with battery power at the charging port .

IMG-0443.JPG

Nice job!  This was one of the mods I was hoping to see in all wheels, but with a retractable hair dryer style extension cord.  One could then just pull out the charging cable and plug in somewhere without carrying around their power adapter brick with them.  What ever happened to miniaturization?   Control boards and adapters don't seem to be getting any smaller. 

I have been trying to figure out a way to make a retractable cord, only problem is I want to keep the case as "stock" looking as possible without drilling any extra wholes. But believe me its very high up there on my to-do list.

Maybe get one of those hair dryers with the retractable cords, removed the spring loaded reel, and find a place to install it?  The reel can't be that big if it can fit in a hair dryer.  Just need a spot to stash it with easy access...

https://www.amazon.ca/Conair-241RNFC-1875-Dryer-Retractable/dp/B004RCNIOW

Aaaeeeh...as the Gotways have no reverse flow diode...doesnt that mean that your wheel "powers" the charger the hole time when the charger is not pluged into the wall? afaik the charger is under 84Volt then ?

And, can you see the chargers LED? to see if the battery is full, LED changing from red to green?

I thought of that originally and tested with a diode inline. But the charger acts no differently without the diode inline so I left it off. The only thing I could think of is that the charger already has a diode built in.

15 minutes ago, US69 said:

Aaaeeeh...as the Gotways have no reverse flow diode...doesnt that mean that your wheel "powers" the charger the hole time when the charger is not pluged into the wall? afaik the charger is under 84Volt then ?

And, can you see the chargers LED? to see if the battery is full, LED changing from red to green?

I'll post more pictures when I have it apart again but, it is wired now so that two of the pins are connected to the internal charger and 2 of them are connected to the batteries (With a diode of coarse) so you can use a 5A fast charger as well. Also I upgraded the charging wires from 20 gauge to 16 to handle the extra amperage.

They should be good up to the 10A charger if I ever get one. ☺️

IMG-0521.JPG

22 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

that is such a good idea, assuming that it works with out a problem. let us know how it works over time and if you run into any issues.

I have had it like this for 4 months now, I haven’t had any problems has been great so far. 

Archived