New Rider, New King Song!!

mfvtgtgs

Thanks for you story and welcome to the club :cheers:

Regardless of how many muscles you have or don't have, your body will be sore. That's just part of the learning process. Give it time. Within a week or two your body will have adjusted to the various pressure points.

Your intro was a bit confusing. You describe the purchasing experience from Freemotion, but then state that you spent $1300 buying from EWheels. I'm confused :confused1:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mfvtgtgs said:

I also changed the mode to learning mode. 

@mfvtgtgs, welcome to the forum, and great write up. Just one thing I would pick up on. Virtually everyone considers learner mode to be unpleasantly soft, even complete beginners, you might want to try the medium mode (I think it is “cycling”) before you get much further. See the 4th paragraph in the below posts for example: 

Shins hurting is a pretty common problem when you start off (for me as well!) I have never been totally sure whether it is the shins hardening up or the riders learning not to frantically grip the wheel between their legs - you really only need to stand on the peddles not grip the wheel tight. However, whichever reason it is you should find the problem goes after a week or two.

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion Marty. I purchased the wheel from Freemotion and then the 5amp charger from ewheels. My total cost was $1300 for both.

Based upon the comments it seems like keeping the battery between 20%to 80% with a full charge about every 2m seems to be optimal. I purchased the ewheels 5amp charger so I could do this. I think the charger will come next week from ewheels.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mfvtgtgs said:

Sorry for the confusion Marty. I purchased the wheel from Freemotion and then the 5amp charger from ewheels. My total cost was $1300 for both.

Based upon the comments it seems like keeping the battery between 20%to 80% with a full charge about every 2m seems to be optimal. I purchased the ewheels 5amp charger so I could do this. I think the charger will come next week from ewheels.

Thanks for clearing up the vendor confusion.

Lots of differing opinions on battery 'babying'. My opinion is to fully charge and enjoy the wheel. I think the odds of your batteries deteriorating within the 2 to 3 years that you'll probably own the wheel, due to always fullying charging, is essentially nil. It's just an opinion, but that's how I roll :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for clearing up the vendor confusion.

Lots of differing opinions on battery 'babying'. My opinion is to fully charge and enjoy the wheel. I think the odds of your batteries deteriorating within the 2 to 3 years that you'll probably own the wheel, due to always fullying charging, is essentially nil. It's just an opinion, but that's how I roll :)

I agree completely.  I'm only charging to between 95-97%, because I live up on a hill, and when I leave my house, I must roll down first for quite some time.

That's the only reason why I do not charge up to 100%.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like a familiar starting sequence (from purchase to first rides).

Word of CAUTION (from experience), do not get too comfortable with going fast. About my 3rd month in I had a couple high speed minor collisions as I felt I was ready for high speed, but had not learned restraint yet.

Have fun!

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:
On 5/10/2018 at 3:21 PM, mfvtgtgs said:

I roll at 90% except for when I know I'm going for a long ride, then I'll top it off. My line of thought is if my usual rides only use 30 or 40 percent of the charge then why keep it at 100%? This will prematurely age the batteries for no good reason. Then again, I only have one grown up wheel. There is a reason why Tesla wants you to keep the maximum charge at 90% and why laptops often have battery modes that cap off charge to less than 100% to preserve battery longevity. Even my hotspot gives a warning to take it off the charger and that keeping it plugged in would decrease the battery lifespan. 

My Airwheel A3 (seated 2-wheeler) battery has lost most of it’s ability to deliver power, just after 2 years (3000km). When I got my 16S I had learned about the 40-80% range and Charge Doctor, therefore the 16S battery is still doing great after 7000km. I charge to 90% and top it off if I know I’m going for a long one.

If you plan to ride the wheel for 2 years or more, I would definitely recommend babying the battery as much as is/feels reasonable. For the price for a nee battery, it’s definitely worth it.

- Keep the charge between 40-80%.

- Let it charge 3 hours past 100% every 10th charge cycle.

- Let the battery sit for 15 minutes before charging.

My shins still hurt if I have a lot of starts. The point of contact is a bit low on the 16S, so padding helps.

The inflation tube is just a brass extender tube to make filling easier. If your pump fits without bending the valve too much, the extender is not needed.

The 2-sided tape of the baby bumper will not harm the 16S finish. It comes off perfectly with Label Off.

Welcome to the greatest hobby in the world!

• Like 1