THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 8/4/2020 at 11:45 AM, Marty Backe said:

Sorry. I probably misinterpreted what you were saying. I was under the impression that you were associating the lack of accessible power with the suspension and I feel that there's zero relation. My mistake.

I think you're setting yourself up to be forever disappointed if there are missing screws, firmware issues, etc. It sucks, but this is the life of an EUC rider - dealing with subpar quality. I reset my expectations loooong ago and have been happy ever since :D

The power and suspension had its issues for me. They are related however, but I get your point.

I am not one to accept crap as the norm. My expectations will always remain high and I will almost always be disappointed. Lowering MY standards to accommodate bullshit build quality, is not going to happen.  "Good enough" will never be "good enough". I feel defeated anytime I compromise on that. Yup, I would be much happier if I were to just lower my standards. I also would be a person of lower standards. I can say there are a few companies and products that impress me, so its not an impossible goal. When it happens, I am very quick to praise them and feel VERY happy where my money went. On the flip side, I wont tolerate having products around that are too far beneath my standard. I would rather take a bathe in losses, than have it sitting around for me to feel like (and reminded) I got taken advantage of or wasted good coin on something I hate. Take the losses, move on to the next one..:D

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Great video Marty and great seat 👍 so the suspension is only from the seat while sitting because the suspension is only from the pedals on the V11 because the handle is rigid is this correct?

The only thing i don't like about sitting in my other wheels is that its so bloody low so this is a brilliant option for the v11 with it been so high ,, well done i bet Inmotions seat option won't be better 👍👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stephen said:

Great video Marty and great seat 👍 so the suspension is only from the seat while sitting because the suspension is only from the pedals on the V11 because the handle is rigid is this correct?

Nope. 

Pedals and handle is connected though the saddel design (bars under the saddel outer cover) of the V11. 

The spring of the bike saddel added by Marty adds a little more to the seated suspension. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stephen said:

The only thing i don't like about sitting in my other wheels is that its so bloody low so this is a brilliant option for the v11 with it been so high ,, well done i bet Inmotions seat option won't be better 👍👍

Absolutely false. The handle framework of the V11 is a continuous metal structure that includes the handle, pedals, and shocks. So the handle (and my seat) moves with the suspension.

I'm sorry that I didn't make this clear in the video - I assumed everyone knew how the V11 suspension is constructed.

Thanks, and yeah, I doubt the Inmotion solution will be superior.

Edited by Marty Backe

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Absolutely false. The handle framework of the V11 is a continuous metal structure that includes the handle, pedals, and shocks. So the handle (and my seat) moves with the suspension.

I'm sorry that I didn't make this clear in the video - I assumed everyone knew how the V11 suspension is constructed.

Thanks, and yeah, I doubt the Inmotion solution will be superior.

Thanks for clearing that up and actually it's great news i just needed clarification 👍 

So you basically have double suspension  ,,  nice work Mr Backe😊

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stephen said:

A double upload your spoiling us Mr Backe ,, I'll sit back and watch 👍

What's with all the formality lately? :laughbounce2:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Albatross said:

This kid amazes me everyday.

I was telling him that riding while sitting is an advanced skill, when he said, “is it?” And did the following...

Now have him do it at a respectable speed :)  You guys and kids. I truly thank you for having them so I don't have to. Damn I love my life!

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 6:18 AM, Flyboy10 said:

S18 Suspension Test

Very cool. Yeah, I'm a wimp and could never do jumps. That park looks fantastic. Is that privately funded or a city/county park?

Nice video

2 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

Trail ride. Lots of talking...

Interesting commentary about your "bigger" tire being nice vs the suspension wheels. I was curious and just measured the V11 tire vs my MSX/MSP tires. They are the same.

Your bigger motorcycle tire on the MSX probably isn't much more than ~1/4-inch larger in diameter that the S18 & V11 tires.

So all that being said, I would venture that the suspension wheels still offer superior comfort than the MSX.

I'm only making this comment because your commentary implied that the larger diameter of the MSX tire compensated for the lack of suspension vs the S18/V11. At least that was my interpretation :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Interesting commentary about your "bigger" tire being nice vs the suspension wheels. I was curious and just measured the V11 tire vs my MSX/MSP tires. They are the same.

Your bigger motorcycle tire on the MSX probably isn't much more than ~1/4-inch larger in diameter that the S18 & V11 tires.

So all that being said, I would venture that the suspension wheels still offer superior comfort than the MSX.

I'm only making this comment because your commentary implied that the larger diameter of the MSX tire compensated for the lack of suspension vs the S18/V11. At least that was my interpretation :)

Nah, the stock tire is only 19" and the Shinko 244 is 20.3".

This is from a different post by @Elliott Reitz but it's hard to make multiple quotes from different threads.

Tire ---------------------size --------- diameter ---------------------comment

IRC T10299         2.50-14        17.9                               per an ebay listing  (my purchase now)

Stock                     2.70-14*        19                                 measured (* size marked as: 18x3.0/76-355)

Shinko SR244      2.75-14          20.3                              measured

Shinko SR241      2.75-14          20.3                              per an ebay listing

C-186                    2.75-14          20.3?                            Per google the SR241 appears to be the same tire... though IDK per dialog here.

But you're talking about over an inch larger. And frankly, it's not about the diameter. It's about the thickness of the sidewalls. I run with maybe 24-28 psi which is probably low for most people. But I feel like the tire can handle it, no problem. When you mount it, you can tell the sidewall is probably 4 times thicker. Plus it's rated for motorcycle speed instead of bicycle speed. I didn't even put slime in it because there is nothing short of a huge roofing nail that is going to be able to flatten this thing. Goatheads, it laughs at goat heads! Below is a picture of the Shinko 241, 244, and MSX stock tire side by side.

MSX-Tires.jpg

Look, I agree with you that a suspension wheel is generally going to be better than one without suspension. What I am saying is that an MSX wheel with an upgraded motorcycle tire, running low air pressure already has a certain amount of shock absorption. And thus the perceived difference is not as pronounced. It's true that I didn't have the pressure dialed in with my test run on the V11 or the S18. But dropping off a curb or hitting washboard on the trail didn't feel that much different to me. I don't want to get flamed here for saying it, but I prefer my MSX.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZenRyder said:

Nah, the stock tire is only 19" and the Shinko 244 is 20.3".

This is from a different post by @Elliott Reitz but it's hard to make multiple quotes from different threads.

But you're talking about over an inch larger. And frankly, it's not about the diameter. It's about the thickness of the sidewalls. I run with maybe 24-28 psi which is probably low for most people. But I feel like the tire can handle it, no problem. When you mount it, you can tell the sidewall is probably 4 times thicker. Plus it's rated for motorcycle speed instead of bicycle speed. I didn't even put slime in it because there is nothing short of a huge roofing nail that is going to be able to flatten this thing. Goatheads, it laughs at goat heads! Below is a picture of the Shinko 241, 244, and MSX stock tire side by side.

MSX-Tires.jpg

Look, I agree with you that a suspension wheel is generally going to be better than one without suspension. What I am saying is that an MSX wheel with an upgraded motorcycle tire, running low air pressure already has a certain amount of shock absorption. And thus the perceived difference is not as pronounced. It's true that I didn't have the pressure dialed in with my test run on the V11 or the S18. But dropping off a curb or hitting washboard on the trail didn't feel that much different to me. I don't want to get flamed here for saying it, but I prefer my MSX.

Understood, particularly running lower pressures. I hyper-focused on your comment in the video about the larger tire, thinking you meant the diameter.

BTW, the Sherman uses a super thick tire too. I measured it being 1/4-inch thick rubber. I doubt people will be getting many flats with that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, the Sherman uses a super thick tire too. I measured it being 1/4-inch thick rubber. I doubt people will be getting many flats with that.

My theory is that the tire, in part, is one of the reasons why the Sherman rides so well. @Kuji Rolls put a street tire on it and didn't like it as much. I think the heavy duty tire really improves the ride on rough surfaces, which is obvious. But it also improves the overall feel and handling once you are really used to it. I'm sure you have your own take on this, but IMHO it's a big improvement over basic street tires on all surfaces.

• Like 2