THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

19 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Are you guys watching Monsieur Flex touring around the world on his EUC?

He started in France and is now in China. 

Great to see all the different countries, and the people are so nice.

Yep, been watching from the start. Great stuff!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Henrik Olsen said:

I took my KingSong 18XL Electric Unicycle on a trip to the Deergarden North of Copenhagen. I filmed the trip with my Insta360 One X and made this montage :-)   

Yay :clap3:so you are still alive and riding.

1 minute ago, Henrik Olsen said:

hehe, yes.. I have not been out much lately I admit. 

You need to work on that Danish tan of yours 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alien Rides said:

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to get one, just not sure I can swing it right now. I do think it's an amazing upgrade for most electric skateboards, but more of a sidegrade for EUCs in its current state. I'm waiting for them to be able to hit 40-50mph or so, then the two wheels will really be nice for stability at speed. It's definitely an awesome form factor, and I hope they do really well.

This page has some specs on the Speedboard: https://newatlas.com/urban-transport/speedboard-two-wheeled-chain-drive-electric-skateboard/

2 hours ago, Alien Rides said:

Also I just released an EUC + Skydio 2 video, check it out:

Great footage, awesome video! Thanks for sharing. I've been wondering how the Skydio would do in a real world scenario following an eWheel and/or a group and you just gave a perfect demo. The obstacle avoidance has really come a long way and it theory it can improve with future software updates. When you don't have to worry about it and just let it record, that's when it's truly relieving you of the chore of filming yourself (at least if you only need one point of view). Looking forward to seeing more of these and watching DJI scramble to catch up. That's the beauty of capitalist competition. You vote with your $$. Thanks again!

• Like 3

Thanks! I'm also super interested in seeing what DJI is going to do next. They're going to have to at least match the Skydio tracking, and also differentiate. Perhaps with better video quality or faster speeds. I think they're way behind on the AI front of things, so I'm sure they're scrambling like you said.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alien Rides said:

Also I just released an EUC + Skydio 2 video, check it out

Fantastic video as far as you are concerned! Short and to the point with all the good information. But the colors are totally oversaturated. Red looks like Neon. Is this the drone? Also I noticed the video compression is really bad and the electric unicycles are moving blocky messes of artifacts. Is this Youtube or the drone also?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
spelling
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Fantastic video as far as you are concerned! Short and to the point with all the good information. But the colors are totally oversaturated. Red looks like Neon. Is this the drone? Also I noticed the video compression is really bad and the electric unicycles are moving blocky messes of artifacts. Is this Youtube or the drone also?

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I cranked up the color too much on this one. It's probably that + a combination of HDR from the drone. I'll work on this for future videos. I'm not sure with the compression, what resolution did you use? The 60FPS should make it buttery smooth, but maybe YouTube is doing weird stuff.

• Like 3

Speedboard has a minimum 8' turning circle, I just don't see how that's useful in a daily way.  Seems more like an uber cool toy.  With a scooter you can at least grab the bars and whip the scooter around to where you want to be headed.  I think bending over to adjust the speedboard at urban corners would get old quick.  Also noted that the riders didn't seem able to really hold a nice straight line -- a lot of medium sized corrections, wandering about. I can't see that even working on the narrow trails with two way traffic that I use my EUC with.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, xorbe said:

Speedboard has a minimum 8' turning circle, I just don't see how that's useful in a daily way.  Seems more like an uber cool toy.  With a scooter you can at least grab the bars and whip the scooter around to where you want to be headed.  I think bending over to adjust the speedboard at urban corners would get old quick.  Also noted that the riders didn't seem able to really hold a nice straight line -- a lot of medium sized corrections, wandering about. I can't see that even working on the narrow trails with two way traffic that I use my EUC with.

I agree about the turning circle. You need to be able to make a 90 degree turn from a sidewalk onto a crosswalk, for example. These are still in development, so maybe they will tighten that up. Skateboards have a pretty big turning circle--but not THAT big. Still seems like a big step forward in terms of road worthiness over a skateboard, even an all-terrain one. 

The "wandering" is an interesting point. Probably need to ask somebody who's ridden one to see if that's the case.

59 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

480p:whistling: I just noticed the compression artifacts are worse than normal. Like the video has been encoded at low bitrate before it was uploaded. Anyways, I'm not an expert!

This is the likely the YouTube compression algorithm. You can export your video with settings that are optimized for YouTube which will result in looking better videos on that platform. Thanks to @meepmeepmayer for pointing this out as I am going to review how I export video and will experiment with the various options.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xorbe said:

That first point pretty much killed my interest in it.

9 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

That first point pretty much killed my interest in it.

One thing that is a turn off for me, is the sound that this device and electric skateboards make. Sounds like an RC car. Spoiled by our mostly silent EUC's.

• Like 1