THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 11/17/2019 at 8:34 PM, Zack Wong said:

Had my first cutout on a wheel this weekend! Definitely my fault. I got caught up in the fun of a group ride, music was going, the visor went down and I gunned it. Overleaned and it just tilted forward and dumped me. Absolutely destroyed the boblbee backpack on my back: https://imgur.com/a/p42fZZJ 

Another rider got the tail end of it on his helmet cam:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/187yWz0zBxCs-3yanf07KX7RuE9kbI3p4/view?fbclid=IwAR1Nto2gvM1pH09_9QBMh7w219eHx0uRTm-Ym51HNfYqlNUzwYjithjV7gY

Armored hoodie and the rest of the safety gear soaked up the rest of the damaged. Walked away with a bruised heel and shin, and a bit of abrasion on my hip. Pretty lucky. Definitely gotta respect the wheel! 

So apparently my bruised shin was actually a fracture and because I didn’t get it checked out sooner, today while riding on the way home, when I pushed off at a stoplight and felt a “pop” in my leg. I turned the simple straight fracture into a compound fracture now. :( the crazy part is that I went 9 days without feeling any real pain there and even did an entire 35 mile ride this last Saturday and felt nothing. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Zack Wong said:

I turned the simple straight fracture into a compound fracture now. :( 

Oh, man, shit!

What a bad luck!

I hope you get well soon. Wish you a good healing. The only little "advantage" is the point of time, even better as at the beginning or just in the middle of the summer. 

;)

1 hour ago, MR BRAD said:

@Marty Backe... just what I needed! The “2nd day of riding” video gives me hope that I may actually get this someday! 😃

None of us were born being able to ride :D

• Like 1

Wait... does that mean I may actually be able to ride backward someday too??? You guys make it look so easy! The grace of carving backward and one legged spinning and the “ballet” of turning and moving at impossibly slow speed was so inspiring to me that I took this EUC plunge. Thanks for giving me something to aspire to @stephen (was there a “before” video?)

• Like 1

I put a lot of effort into learning backwards yesterday for the first time.  Not a lot of progress.  I think it might help if I rotate through the wheels, as that seemed to help with forward riding.

• Like 1

@stephen... wow! Thanks!!! It’s so great to see that the “wobbly drunk wheel style” goes away. Looking at and listening to the likes of you and all the others in this forum  really helps me get through some of the frustrations and believe that sore shins, scratches, bruises and a damaged ego will be worth the price of admission... holding out hope that I’ll someday have the chops to advise as so many on here @Mono, @Rywokast, @meepmeepmayer @erk1024 @Marty Backe have done for me - thanks again!

Is anybody aware of informal (or even semi formal) meetups for EUC rookies in the Silicon Valley or SF Bay Area? I don’t know that I would feel confident on a true group ride... but maybe eventually? Just thinking of a way to “compare notes” and maybe work on some of the very basic learning dynamics? I think it would be fun to share some of the, I’m sure, similar tribulations of this learning.... or maybe somebody reading would enjoy an opportunity to laugh at me in person? (Just sayin’)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, MR BRAD said:

@stephen... wow! Thanks!!! It’s so great to see that the “wobbly drunk wheel style” goes away. Looking at and listening to the likes of you and all the others in this forum  really helps me get through some of the frustrations and believe that sore shins, scratches, bruises and a damaged ego will be worth the price of admission... holding out hope that I’ll someday have the chops to advise as so many on here @Mono, @Rywokast, @meepmeepmayer @erk1024 @Marty Backe have done for me - thanks again!

Is anybody aware of informal (or even semi formal) meetups for EUC rookies in the Silicon Valley or SF Bay Area? I don’t know that I would feel confident on a true group ride... but maybe eventually? Just thinking of a way to “compare notes” and maybe work on some of the very basic learning dynamics? I think it would be fun to share some of the, I’m sure, similar tribulations of this learning.... or maybe somebody reading would enjoy an opportunity to laugh at me in person? (Just sayin’)

As Meep points out, the San Francisco group is very active and big. Not so much here. Best to join the "Bay Area Electric Unicycle" Facebook Group.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MR BRAD said:

Thanks!!! It’s so great to see that the “wobbly drunk wheel style” goes away. Looking at and listening to the likes of you and all the others in this forum  really helps me get through some of the frustrations and believe that sore shins, scratches, bruises and a damaged ego will be worth the price of admission... holding out hope that I’ll someday have the chops to advise as so many on here

We've all been there in the learning stages there's no rush just keep riding and you'll learn as you go along , no need to jump in at the deep end , sore shins will quickly go once your legs get conditioned and your legs will adjust , don't wait for the unexpected actually aim to go over bumps/ imperfections/slopes so you get the feel of how the wheel acts so it's not a big surprise when you don't see one 👍 try some fast braking here and there , just take your time and just ride alot as I'm sure you will cause i still smile everytime I'm on my wheel 😊😁

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stephen said:

try some fast braking here and there

BUT(t) don't do it in Unventor-style 😉 I am sure @Rehab1get a flashback picture now😁

I will not repost it here as to spare the faint hearted :smartass::ph34r:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Zack Wong said:

So apparently my bruised shin was actually a fracture and because I didn’t get it checked out sooner, today while riding on the way home, when I pushed off at a stoplight and felt a “pop” in my leg. I turned the simple straight fracture into a compound fracture now. :( the crazy part is that I went 9 days without feeling any real pain there and even did an entire 35 mile ride this last Saturday and felt nothing. 

Bummer!! Your lack of tibia pain after your accident is interesting. I’m not sure if I would have sought treatment either.  Your surrounding tissue, ligaments and musculature were holding the fx together until you pushed off. A couple more weeks and you may have healed just fine.   Did ortho cast you?

7 hours ago, MR BRAD said:

As others have said, just go for it. I haven't had the pleasure of going on any group rides yet. But from my relatively short time as a member here, I feel I can confidently say that no EUC rider would do anything other than make you feel very welcome.

16 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Bummer!! Your lack of tibia pain after your accident is interesting. I’m not sure if I would have sought treatment either.  Your surrounding tissue, ligaments and musculature were holding the fx together until you pushed off. A couple more weeks and you may have healed just fine.   Did ortho cast you?

Turns out it was actually my Fibula. Went to Ortho yesterday and I’ve just gotta wear a boot for 4 weeks until the next checkup. It’s still weight bearing and I can walk on it with some, but minimal pain. Not a terrible outcome, but never would’ve guessed! 

• Like 3