THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

1 hour ago, Flyboy10 said:

More footage from the same ride as above. 

So @Nick McCutcheon has a Nikola now. He's been rotating thru quite a few nice wheels this past year.

Not really a long ride yet all you guys are carrying backpacks. What's in those things :)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So @Nick McCutcheon has a Nikola now. He's been rotating thru quite a few nice wheels this past year.

Not really a long ride yet all you guys are carrying backpacks. What's in those things :)

After hearing all the good things you’ve said about it, I decided to get my first 100v wheel! I decided against the 100v MSX or Monster because I already have a (newly upgraded to 2400wh) monster, which I feel covers the use cases of those other two wheels for me. If Gotway eventually releases a 126v monster, my monster is getting sold and I’m picking one of those up asap! It definitely rides and handles differently than anything else I’ve ridden, and I haven’t been able to ride it that much but I’m sure that, much like the Monster, I’ll come to love it after perfecting the riding style :)

I already hit 38mph, but it doesn’t feel stable enough at those speeds for me to be comfortable pushing past that. I’m glad to finally have a wheel where I don’t have to always listen for beeps, I have to try hard to get them to sound! 

My ACM2 is mostly just an around-campus and backup wheel now, but I don’t know if I can sell it since I’ve become so attached after all the work I’ve done on it! If I did, I’d probably get something like an MCM5 to replace it for going around campus since it’s lighter and has useful things like the integrated trolley handle and lift cutoff switch. 

In my backpack I have all the stuff I need in case of a catastrophic wheel failure (allen keys and electric screwdriver to take apart the wheel if I need to disconnect the battery) and all the stuff I need for tire pressure adjustments (electric pump and pressure gauge, right angle adapter etc), and of course a water bottle and usually a snack or something. So not too much stuff but enough to handle most scenarios. 

• Like 3

I have just started doing some short vids (less than 2mins). This is a first for me, only now feeling comfortable enough on the wheel to hold a stick as well. Plenty to learn on the video front, but we all gotta start somewhere I guess. Got a longer stick on order :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

After hearing all the good things you’ve said about it, I decided to get my first 100v wheel! I decided against the 100v MSX or Monster because I already have a (newly upgraded to 2400wh) monster, which I feel covers the use cases of those other two wheels for me. If Gotway eventually releases a 126v monster, my monster is getting sold and I’m picking one of those up asap! It definitely rides and handles differently than anything else I’ve ridden, and I haven’t been able to ride it that much but I’m sure that, much like the Monster, I’ll come to love it after perfecting the riding style :)

I already hit 38mph, but it doesn’t feel stable enough at those speeds for me to be comfortable pushing past that. I’m glad to finally have a wheel where I don’t have to always listen for beeps, I have to try hard to get them to sound! 

My ACM2 is mostly just an around-campus and backup wheel now, but I don’t know if I can sell it since I’ve become so attached after all the work I’ve done on it! If I did, I’d probably get something like an MCM5 to replace it for going around campus since it’s lighter and has useful things like the integrated trolley handle and lift cutoff switch. 

In my backpack I have all the stuff I need in case of a catastrophic wheel failure (allen keys and electric screwdriver to take apart the wheel if I need to disconnect the battery) and all the stuff I need for tire pressure adjustments (electric pump and pressure gauge, right angle adapter etc), and of course a water bottle and usually a snack or something. So not too much stuff but enough to handle most scenarios. 

Hey, great to hear from you Nick :D  Welcome to the Nikola club :cheers: I'm sad that I still only own 84-volt wheels, but I am getting the 126-volt Nikola. Right now the plan is for Gotway to send me one of the first working wheels. Just need to wait :(

I do hope you're fully happy with the Nikola even though it has it's faults. I still love mine and haven't changed my opinion.

My ACM2's still work great. Unless you really need the cash, just keep it :D

• Like 2

On 9/15/2019 at 10:38 PM, Marty Backe said:

You probably didn't watch the video :(

I specifically talk about why I don't like headlamps (lights mounted on your head). But it's just one mans opinion.

I haven’t watched it yet - but I think I’d rather have a light not attached to my head.

I think it’s a cool idea.

you're an engineer right Marty? Have you considered designing and building your own EUC?

Im getting tempted to do it.

Edited by HippoPig
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HippoPig said:

I haven’t watched it yet - but I think I’d rather have a light not attached to my head.

I think it’s a cool idea.

you're an engineer right Marty? Have you considered designing and building your own EUC?

Im getting tempted to do it.

The Chinese don't have to concern themselves with intellectual property rights. But us in the West do so I think there would be legal difficulties for us.

After having worked on EUCs for awhile now, I know it's not as simple as we sometimes think. Yeah, it's just a motor, some batteries, and a controller. But when you consider the nitty gritty details of each of these components, there's a lot engineering involved.

I'm retiring shortly so I wouldn't have the emotional energy for starting such an endeavor.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 11:52 PM, Marty Backe said:

you guys are carrying backpacks. What's in those things :)

Mine transports all my riding gear from the house to the group ride. During the ride it just holds my water bottle and snacks.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, Planemo said:

Wheeling around with Ashleigh in Billericay 15/09/2019

I'm glad to see a slow but noticeable trend of more girls on EUCs! Monika and Petra from Stockholm, for example, now we've seen Ashleigh a few times riding excellently and looking very stylish. I hope many more female EUC riders will be inspired by Ashleigh!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Loving the 100v MSX on my morning commute! P.S. It really isn't as dark as the footage makes it look. I wish the 100v had the 1600 wh battery...

Damn son, you were hauling ass on that thing, loll. You were unlocked from the kingsong safety net, and just unleashed your true need for speed. :lol:

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 5:32 AM, Planemo said:

I have just started doing some short vids (less than 2mins). This is a first for me, only now feeling comfortable enough on the wheel to hold a stick as well. Plenty to learn on the video front, but we all gotta start somewhere I guess. Got a longer stick on order :)

I too started riding with a selfie stick last weekend. I bought a 9-foot stick, which is utterly ridiculous.

Paying attention to the stick and riding is going to take some practice.

Maybe it's a good job I'm not permitted to share any of my footage yet, because I was making myself look like a noob at riding.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

I also can't imagine getting the full potential out of myself with a selfie-stick in my hand, at least not off-road in the woods. On the road, of course, that's not a problem.

Probably already after 500m the camera would have shattered at a tree. :laughbounce2:

3 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

I too started riding with a selfie stick last weekend. I bought a 9-foot stick, which is utterly ridiculous.

Maybe it's a good job I'm not permitted to share any of my footage yet, because I was making myself look like a noob at riding.

Yeah I think it deffo takes some skill. My buddy uses a 9' stick which is the same one I have ordered. Even he has problems in the wind.

I have also bought a GoPro Session4 which I will use instead of the Hero+ which I used in my vids so far. The Session is tiny, and any size/weight reduction at the end of a 9' lever is gonna be a bonus.

15 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

P.S. It really isn't as dark as the footage makes it look.

Oh, but it is that dark. (No sun before 6:30 AM these days.)

Haven't you ever noticed the lights attached to my backpack? Try one of these on your AM ride...

Edited by RayRay
They work!

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I would get a reflective vest for this kind of riding. Great video!

I was wearing a full upper body reflective jacket. I also wear a very bright turn signal light on my back. I'll post a video about it. On the day tp home I wear the classic yellow jacket like Chooch and Duf. 

Edited by Flyboy10