THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@Marty Backe really glad that the blowout did not cause you to fall from the wheel. I'm sure you would not want to risk re-injuring that shoulder!

• Like 1

I had a blowout while sharing the street with cars. Not funny. Really scary as all of a sudden you lose control of the wheel. It started pulling me into the traffic.

Nice recovery. I wonder if sliming makes a difference since I never slimed a wheel.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pico said:

I had a blowout while sharing the street with cars. Not funny. Really scary as all of a sudden you lose control of the wheel. It started pulling me into the traffic.

A blowout in traffic would suck, glad you’re okay.  Thanks for giving me another thing to ponder before I get on my wheel and commute to work.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

A blowout in traffic would suck, glad you’re okay.  Thanks for giving me another thing to ponder before I get on my wheel and commute to work.  

I believe the main problem is that you can no longer change direction with a blown tire/tube. Other than that... it really is no big deal, as far as I can tell.

On the other hand it was on the V5F that is not well known for it's stability. I guess different wheels must react differently.

10 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

My first thought... You should have slimed the wheel!   :D

Mrs. TFUs first comment... Thank God for wives!!!   :roflmao:

:)

All my wheels are slimed. This was a blowout (rapid loss of air). I believe the valve separated from the tube, which happened on the previous tube on this wheel.

Yes, the wife comes in very handy sometimes :ph34r:

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I love how Marty can't help showing off a little when crossing at the lights. I know the feeling:thumbup:

My experience is different. Blowouts are positively harmless if you're going in a straight line (not in a curve or carving or on uneven ground). I had my inner tube explode - literally, I heard the bang and thought somewhere nearby something went wrong - at about 25kph. The unicycle simply behaved like a twig or something got stuck in the wheel well (felt like that mainly by the rubbing sound, not even due to bigger rolling resistance, it's self-balancing after all so that's not a thing), and I just instinctively and calmly stopped. Didn't even realize the tire was completely empty and that the bang came from the wheel before I had stopped and had a look and realized "so that was the bang!". It was surprisingly non-eventful. No instability or wobblyness. I assume the little bit of wobbling Marty had (it wasn't a danger of falling off) is because he did a little carving.

You're right about the straight line vs carving. Unfortunately I'm mostly carving when I ride :(  Yeah, at the speed I was traveling there wasn't much risk of me falling off the wheel. Cruising at 20+ mph might be another story :cry2:

1 hour ago, pico said:

Nice recovery. I wonder if sliming makes a difference since I never slimed a wheel.

Thanks :D   Slime doesn't help when you have a large tube failure like what happened here, if that's what you're asking. Certainly seems to help with all the small punctures though.

Yeah, it's amazing how uncontrollable the wheel is when there's no air in the tube.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Slime doesn't help when you have a large tube failure like what happened here, if that's what you're asking. Certainly seems to help with all the small punctures though.

Do you know what caused the tube to fail in that way?

Did it go at a point where a previous puncture was sealed by slime?

5 minutes ago, Nic said:

Do you know what caused the tube to fail in that way?

Did it go at a point where a previous puncture was sealed by slime?

I have not opened the wheel yet. May be a couple of weeks because I'm ordering the supplies needed to convert it to tubeless.

My last non-repairable Mten3 tube failure (after ~400-miles) was due to the valve stem separating from the tube. This is probably a week spot with most tubes. When I replaced that tube, it showed evidence of at lest half a dozen punctures that Slime fixed (you could see the little green spots on the tube.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I have not opened the wheel yet. May be a couple of weeks because I'm ordering the supplies needed to convert it to tubeless.

My last non-repairable Mten3 tube failure (after ~400-miles) was due to the valve stem separating from the tube. This is probably a week spot with most tubes. When I replaced that tube, it showed evidence of at lest half a dozen punctures that Slime fixed (you could see the little green spots on the tube.

EUCs need 3D printed, airless tires like this:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Someone didn't watch the end of the video :lol:

See your wife understands. Mine would have let me wait for 3 hours.:crying:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

See your wife understands. Mine would have let me wait for 3 hours.:crying:

:)

Fortunately my wife totally supports my EUC madness

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My last non-repairable Mten3 tube failure (after ~400-miles) was due to the valve stem separating from the tube. This is probably a week spot with most tubes.

The valve stem can be ripped from the tube if the tyre pressure is too low because that lets the tyre spin on the rim and it drags the tube with it resulting in the valve stem (which cannot move) being ripped off.

1 hour ago, Nic said:

The valve stem can be ripped from the tube if the tyre pressure is too low because that lets the tyre spin on the rim and it drags the tube with it resulting in the valve stem (which cannot move) being ripped off.

I'm sure @Marty Backe has his pressure high and he's been through 2 tubes on his mten3  ,i usually run low that's how i like it for my road conditions

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stephen said:

I'm sure @Marty Backe has his pressure high and he's been through 2 tubes on his mten3  ,i usually run low that's how i like it for my road conditions

Tubeless tyres solve this problem, but valve stems are usually the strongest part of the tube and the rubber is at its thickest there. The smaller tyres have less surface area pressing against the rim, which likely makes the tyre easier to move along the rim. I've noticed this problem on bicycles quite a bit and it can often be spotted by the valve stem tilting to one side. On EUC with brass valve stems you won't notice anything until the tube rips. Higher pressure helps, but most EUC riders set their tyre pressure very low compared to what the pressures would be on a bicycle tyre and this problem still occurs on bicycle tyres. I had this happen several times over the years.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/829699-bike-tube-keeps-tearing-valve.html

Edited by Nic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Demargon said:

Third demonstration in Madrid, Spain, asking that portable electric mobility not been prohibited.

That is awesome and well organized! Reminds me of troops all lined up in formation headed to battle. Good luck! :thumbup:

• Like 1