THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

21 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Here's my friends Music video briefly featuring me and my sister riding around on EUCs. In the afterlife I hope there are still EUCs.....

Nice video and music - thanks for sharing – and expanding my world, as I would probably never have seen this elsewhere. :D

17 hours ago, SuperSport said:

be sure to check your camera for Optical Image Stabilization.  This is my $100 SJCam SJ5000x

That is very impressive stabilization. I think the next cam I buy will be the SJ5000x.

The SF area seems to have a very active EUC community. Your group ride videos are very enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

While searching for stabilized action cams came across the YI 4K Action Cam. Seems to have good reviews on YouTube. Won't do stabilization at 4K but will at 1080p 60/30 fps.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

15 minutes ago, animan said:

While searching for stabilized action cams came across the YI 4K Action Cam. Seems to have good reviews on YouTube. Won't do stabilization at 4K but will at 1080p 60/30 fps.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

As far as I know, it's very similar performance to my SJ5000x.  You should be happy with it.  The SJ5000x will do 4K with stabilization though, and it's usually cheaper.  I do like the touch screen on the YI though.  Mine screen is not touch.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

As far as I know, it's very similar performance to my SJ5000x.  You should be happy with it.  The SJ5000x will do 4K with stabilization though, and it's usually cheaper.  I do like the touch screen on the YI though.  Mine screen is not touch.

Okay - so I'm getting camera envy here (as I don't have one at all - yet).

But I need to know more before I buy one... First off, is there a difference between hardware stabilisation (in the camera) and software stabilisation (after the fact, on my conputer)?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Okay - so I'm getting camera envy here (as I don't have one at all - yet).

But I need to know more before I buy one... First off, is there a difference between hardware stabilisation (in the camera) and software stabilisation (after the fact, on my conputer)?

I use the iPhone 6s Plus for video with a chest harness mentioned in a previous post on a different topic. It can do 4K at 30fps, 1080p at 60 or 120fps (slo-mo), or 720p at 240fps (super slo-mo). The hardware stabilisation is excellent, but the phone is a bit dear in NZ, and the iPhone 7 will be announced next week on September 7. What I don't like about using a phone or some cameras is that you never really know what is in frame, as there isn't a separate remote viewer, although you could theoretically use a special app and a less expensive phone or iPod Touch with the iPhone 6s Plus et al. The handheld ( @Duf ) or selfie-stick technique probably works better, but I wouldn't risk dropping or falling with a high-end phone. I think the Yi is a great choice at $249.00 on Amazon, and Ben at Authentech gave it a great review. Ben also has reviewed hover boards, electric scooters and at least two inMotion EUCs (the V3S and V5f+), so he is worth watching and subscribing to.

Edited by litewave
spelling, clarity
  • Upvote 1

@SuperSport So awesome to watch! Just like a personal tour of San Francisco! Love it! What was the beeping when you stopped at red lights? I see the car backing out stopped for you. So polite! In Michigan they would have rolled right :Dver you! Then the dog encounter...funny..the guy yanked his dog back to make way...ARF

Good Points @litewave.  I also love the video from my iPhone 6s Plus, but the fear of dropping it is great.  I am now able to achieve almost the same quality from my SJCam, at 1/6th of the price, and I can use all of the GoPro mounts, which are many.

I agree, the YI is probably a better camera than what I have.  The current YI was not available when I bought my SJ5000x, but at that time, I was trying to stay around $100 mark, so probably would not have bought the YI anyways.  I was testing the Action Cam concept to see if I'd even like it. I DO!

Here is one of the big reasons I decided to go with an Action Cam.  I've done some Snorkeling, and want to use this.  I forgot to take it on my trip to Maui, and I'm so bummed! This is someone else's video.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, daniop301 said:

Video of me cruising around the parking lot a week after I've received my first unicycle(Gotway MCM4) and learned to ride it.

Nice riding after 1 week!  You could carry so much food in those pants, or legos, or... ;)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SuperSport said:

BIG difference.  Hardware will give you very clear video where software will pixelate, warp, and blur the video to stabilize it.  The more stabilized the video is using software, the more it gets distorted.

Here is an example of my own video to show how software distorts the video.  1st is with Hardware stabilization and 2nd is with software stabilization.  Both videos are 1080p from the same exact camera.

Hardware Steady

<snip>

Software Steady.  Held in hand, so SHOULD be even steadier than the above video mounted directly to the wheel.  Notice how the video constantly warps to try to keep the center of the video steady.

<snip>

The difference Explained.  Notice the lens on the OIS camera moving...

<snip>

Great comparisons, thanks. I like the animated map graphics and editing, and the scenery was nice, too :rolleyes:. The ActionCam video is great quality, but the stats say 852x480 in both clips. I also wonder how survivable it is when attached to the Ninebot in a minor mishap, even as an advanced rider.

edit: Disregard comment re: resolution. The frame didn't refresh with the higher-res video available from YouTube when it was resized as it should have due to all the security plugins I had enabled in my browser . 

Edited by litewave
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, litewave said:

Great comparisons, thanks. I like the animated map graphics and editing, and the scenery was nice, too :rolleyes:. The ActionCam video is great quality, but the stats say 852x480 in both clips. I also wonder how survivable it is when attached to the Ninebot in a minor mishap, even as an advanced rider.

That's a good point - I fall off a lot!

I need something indestructible...

8 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@SuperSport or anyone :D What video editing software do you guys use?

I have a license (with my work) so I will be using Adobe Premiere Pro, once I get a stabilising camera...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, litewave said:

I also wonder how survivable it is when attached to the Ninebot in a minor mishap, even as an advanced rider.

I use the Underwater case when mounted.   It's pretty indestructible.  The case will die, but I think the camera will survive.  Case can be replaced for under $15.

Case.jpg

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@SuperSport or anyone :D What video editing software do you guys use?

Camtasia Studio.  It's expensive!!!  I got it on sale for $99.  I do a lot of videos.  I'm not good at it, but I do a lot.

https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

HitFilm 4 is free:  https://hitfilm.com

Edited by SuperSport
  • Upvote 2

@SuperSport thanks...You got a fantastic deal as it is selling for $299!  I use a similar underwater case for the gopro. I cannot imagine hitting something hard enough to break the case.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Thanks. Just bought one from Amazon. Amazon's return policy is pretty good in case I don't like.

Now, need to figure out how to mount it on the S2 handlebar.

Just now, animan said:

Got the Y1 4K + Waterproof case. The SJ looked very good though and at a great price.

We will have another cam to compare to.

I was hoping that's what you got.  I'm anxious to see samples.