THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's a bit disconcerting that it happened at ~47kph, even when accelerating. 45kph is the regular limit, so this might even be an unmodded wheel.

I think the top speed is 25 mph (40 kph) 

18 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Looks like an overlean (pedals tilt forward), not a cut-out (instant off + motor lock). He even got a step in, this would hardly (or rather, not at all) have been possible in a cut-out

Yea. The speedo jumps from 40 to 47. Seems like you were at 40 and put too much effort into it to go faster. 

Thats the thing about powerful wheels limited to lower speeds. When i rode the locked demo 18XL, I was dancing around the limiter and i accelerated hard right before tiltback kicked in. Nearly threw me off. When your wheel starts beeping at 30+ the wind is already kicking your ass. VS 25-28mph where the wind isnt that extreme and you feel you have alot of speed left

Edited by dieterGRAMS
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Looks like an overlean (pedals tilt forward), not a cut-out (instant off + motor lock). He even got a step in, this would hardly (or rather, not at all) have been possible in a cut-out.

It's a bit disconcerting that it happened at ~47kph, even when accelerating. 45kph is the regular limit, so this might even be an unmodded wheel.

But in the end, EUCs have no fixed top speed, only a power limit. Top speed always depends on rider weight and all the other stuff. People need to learn these things aren't cars. :efef895ddd: More like planes. Nobody would ever try to find out how fast a plane can go before the wings break off (by going into a nosedive and speeding towards the ground). Somehow for EUCs, this obvious thing is too hard to grasp?

A EUC's top speed is when it beeps at you (emphasis on "you", what's happening right now). What other people did or did not do doesn't matter.

It can go arbitrarily fast if nothing else speaks against it (power limit reached for any given situation, motor switch off at some speed, speed of light limit). Which is how every EUC works.

These assumptions are unfounded to work for everyone and it's disingenious to blame the wheel. Unless it really was unmodded and gave up in the margin area around the 45kph alarm, there should be way more reserves or a non-ignorable tiltback as soon as there are not enough reserves.

Does it say if it was modded?

I don’t think it was modded. I found the video on YouTube by chance. It is a Spanish owner,  I believe. I saw @RoberAce has also commented on the video, in Spanish, so maybe he can help shed some light on the situation leading up to the Z10 crash.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dieterGRAMS said:

Yea. The speedo jumps from 40 to 47. Seems like you were at 40 and put too much effort into it to go faster. 

Thats the thing about powerful wheels limited to lower speeds. When i rode the locked demo 18XL, I was dancing around the limiter and i accelerated hard right before tiltback kicked in. Nearly threw me off. When your wheel starts beeping at 30+ the wind is already kicking your ass. VS 25-28mph where the wind isnt that extreme and you feel you have alot of speed left

True I think that’s what happened. The owner of the video is Spanish I believe. I try not to ride the Z10 past 25mph, especially in London traffic. 

38 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

But in the end, EUCs have no fixed top speed, only a power limit. Top speed always depends on rider weight and all the other stuff. People need to learn these things aren't cars. :efef895ddd: More like planes. Nobody would ever try to find out how fast a plane can go before the wings break off (by going into a nosedive and speeding towards the ground). Somehow for EUCs, this obvious thing is too hard to grasp?

A EUC's top speed is when it beeps at you (emphasis on "you", what's happening right now). What other people did or did not do doesn't matter.

BEST explanation EVER, hands down. Well said!

giphy.gif

To any moderators reading this, can you please pin @meepmeepmayer's comment to the top of every safety and speed-related thread? :thumbup:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, travsformation said:

BEST explanation EVER, hands down. Well said!

giphy.gif

To any moderators reading this, can you please pin @meepmeepmayer's comment to the top of every safety and speed-related thread? :thumbup:

AGREED!! :thumbup:

Edited by Afeez Kay
  • Like 2

The video owner is Russian. In the video after crash he says that he damaged the glove and the handle on the wheel. Then the only thing he says is "...somehow I don't want to ride anymore...". Fortunately he didn't break anything, just had a minor road rash. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Trolling or not I still believe it is a good study. My photo forensic analysis: It appears he went beyond the speed or the “power limit” as @meepmeepmayer stated. 

46395817582_662e06b123_b.jpg

46395817592_5643c402b5_b.jpg

46395817532_aec9af47c0_b.jpg

45723432404_72689924d0_b.jpg

45723432254_b1d8123f4a_b.jpg

So NOT a cut off then as the motor was still running after the crash...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Afeez Kay said:

So NOT a cut off then as the motor was still running after the crash...

Hard to say if the motor is still running. All I can see is the wheel’s toppling momentum after the rider disengages. 

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

Hard to say if the motor is still running. All I can see is the wheel’s toppling momentum after the rider disengages. 

Moral of the story is ‘Respect the beep’. :thumbup:. The wheel could be heard making the speed limit warning noise. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You made me LOL! :laughbounce2:

Glad to see you're in good spirits! (and/or drinking good spirits!) and managed the long drive safely!

May PM you in the next few days: a neighbor's cat has been pissing on my door for the past few days. I have video footage, but can't determine who's cat it is. Do you provide services as a P.I. as well as working for the FBI? (Faceplant Bureau of Investigation)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

(as I top off the charge on the KS18XL that just arrived at my door this Christmas Eve).

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3: Hell of Christmas gift,  man. Now, charger her up and go for a ride. Eager to compare your first impressions with mine. Very cool. 😀👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Thank you:) But it's only common sense. If you have something where you can't exactly know when it fails unless it actually fails, and where the consequences of the failure are really bad, then you shouldn't try and test exactly where it fails. Plane, EUC, whatever. These can't just roll to a stop like a car or scouter can. That's all. But maybe this isn't compatible with how human curiosity usually works (try it until it breaks) and what people are used to from every other vehicle (floor it and you'll see how fast it can go).

Well spoke my good man, well spoke :)👍