THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 10/3/2018 at 6:28 AM, The Wheel Plug said:

We attempted a 43 mile loop around a nearby lake, and also installed some of those delicious EUCGUY side pads. What an amazing day for a ride! Enjoy our ride log :D

Surprised you only made ~30-miles. You guys must have been really pushing the wheels hard.

My MSX too drain very fast when I pushing it hard, with that being said I really do push it then and push so hard over some distance with hardest accelerations I can muster straight into the beep again and again and... + riding fast on the transportation bits. It can suck battery no doubt about it, but yeah admittedly this is not normal riding for most under any standard and also not a lightweight.

Mine do last a long time when riding in group with some Swedish members in Stockholm, I suppose no difference from driving your muscle car around at legal speeds in no hurry and gas last a lot longer die to much better efficiency in that range?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

ah finally, you jumped on board the insta360 boat.  i can still see a little bit of your stick in some shots, you didn't get the fixed head stick?  the camera need to be perfectly vertical in relation to the stick.  

I can't wait until you use it on the mountain.  that footage would be epic.  go on their website and buy the 10' carbon fiber stick.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes. Seems like the best affordable solution right now. I love the post-processing workflow, but I'm using an iPad Pro. It might be a lot slower if you have lesser hardware. The desktop software sucks in comparison.

Although much lower resolution than my Sony X3000, I love the better riding perspective. 

oh, by the way, they are coming out with a new camera.  not sure what it is, but they are announcing it on 10/10 in 5 days.  the stabilization on the insta360 can't be beat.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

[ACM2 Ride Along San Gabriel River Parks]

Cool:efee47c9c8:

• The field of view is adjustable, right? I'd recommend narrowing it so you're maybe 75% of the frame height instead of a small Marty in the center. Too wide makes the further landscape and surroundings disappear too much (like the opposite of a telephoto lens).
  • Maybe that would also improve the video quality, with less fast-moving, peripheral details that are distorted anyways.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

oh, by the way, they are coming out with a new camera.  not sure what it is, but they are announcing it on 10/10 in 5 days.  the stabilization on the insta360 can't be beat.  

From the promo video, they were throwing or shooting it while recording in slow motion. Maybe it comes with a little crossbow one can use to lob it around:efee612b4b: Or some rugged form factor like a bouncy ball.

Unrealistic, but one can dream.

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

• The field of view is adjustable, right? I'd recommend narrowing it so you're maybe 75% of the frame height instead of a small Marty in the center. Too wide makes the further landscape and surroundings disappear too much (like the opposite of a telephoto lens).
  • Maybe that would also improve the video quality, with less fast-moving, peripheral details that are distorted anyways.

actually it is the opposite.  you need to squeeze more of what it captures into the frame would improve quality.  if you think about it, then it makes sense.  you have fixed 4k image sensor combined, you adjust you fov to a spot in the recording, so you get a subset of the 4k video resolution, never 4k.  but if you widen your view and squeeze more of the pixels into the fov, then your video quality goes up.  

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

From the promo video, they were throwing or shooting it while recording in slow motion. Maybe it comes with a little crossbow one can use to lob it around:efee612b4b: Or some rugged form factor like a bouncy ball.

Unrealistic, but one can dream.

From the promo video you can see it is the same form factor as the existing.  i do see them throwing it so not sure if it can survive the impact.  the throwing action is like their bullet time effect, but instead of circular, it is linear.  i'm hoping they increase the resolution to maybe 5.7k like gopro fusion.  ~6k.  can't do 8k atm, processors are too slow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

actually it is the opposite.  you need to squeeze more of what it captures into the frame would improve quality.  if you think about it, then it makes sense.  you have fixed 4k image sensor combined, you adjust you fov to a spot in the recording, so you get a subset of the 4k video resolution, never 4k.  but if you widen your view and squeeze more of the pixels into the fov, then your video quality goes up.  

Actually it is both. The video at home is higher quality as you expand it out. But the video as uploaded is lower quality with larger field of view because compression can't keep up with all those details.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Interesting that the wheel tilts forward. On the Gotway, KingSong, and Ninebot wheels, the pedals tilt-backward.

It always tilts backwards on me too. I powered it off, and back on and that's what it decided to do. Weird. ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Actually it is both. The video at home is higher quality as you expand it out. But the video as uploaded is lower quality with larger field of view because compression can't keep up with all those details.

talking about different things here.  one is the pre uploaded and the other is what youtube does to your videos after you upload it.  what i'm talking about is the video before you upload it.

in the end as someone pointed out to me, most videos are now viewed on your mobile device, so video quality as long as it is 720p is fine.  It is only when you go home and view it on a 1080p or 4k quality then you notice how crappy it is.  

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@eddiemoy By quality I meant compression, not how much of the original picture you see. And the noisy details are the worst offender for how it looks post-compression.

you have to look at it as what the camera see's.  also when you do a flat file, or what they call over capture, you are shifting your perspective to only a fraction of the 4k total image size.  so obviously it will not be 4k when it is outputted.  compression is whole other topic.

21 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

what i'm talking about is the video before you upload it.

I think I went through at least four of the five stages of grief before accepting that the end product is what people see on the net, not the beautifully detailed but uncompressable wonder that gets converted into a blotchy mess once uploaded.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The video was cool but I was complementing @tymerTHEcheezGUY who captured the moment. He deserves the credit so please give him a :thumbup: up. 

Absolutely I did, all credit where credit belong, we are 100% on the same page.

Good stuff tymerTHEcheezGUY, fantastic video!

But nature is something else to behold at times though, nice. Way, way too many go looking down with bowed heads these days instead of up where things going on. Heck I even run into at least 1/day that does not drive off once lights turn green here, they just forget cause staring down into there bloody phones totally busy, at the darn red lights? Never fail to chock me how people can forget they are in traffic cause of a darn phone, so seeing things like this awake something inside me and temporarily wake up from the technological concrete slumber people are in, we are in I suppose?

Anyway, sorry for OT

Edited by Electroman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

ah finally, you jumped on board the insta360 boat.  i can still see a little bit of your stick in some shots, you didn't get the fixed head stick?  the camera need to be perfectly vertical in relation to the stick.  

I can't wait until you use it on the mountain.  that footage would be epic.  go on their website and buy the 10' carbon fiber stick.  

Hey, I bought the caron fiber stick from the link on your channel. It has the GoPro mount at the end.

Duh, I just figured out that I can unscrew that GoPro mount. Going for another run today so maybe it'll look a little better.

Thanks for showing me the way with this camera and particular the 10' stick. I was stopped and a couple people at first thought I was carrying a fishing pole :lol:

I'm glad that I happen to have the 12-inch iPad Pro because the desktop software sucks in comparison, or so it seems. I wish the iPad app allowed you to export in different resolutions like the desktop app. The different apps offer differing and non-complementary controls. What's your processing flow?

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey, I bought the caron fiber stick from the link on your channel. It has the GoPro mount at the end.

Duh, I just figured out that I can unscrew that GoPro mount. Going for another run today so maybe it'll look a little better.

Thanks for showing me the way with this camera and particular the 10' stick. I was stopped and a couple people at first thought I was carrying a fishing pole :lol:

I'm glad that I happen to have the 12-inch iPad Pro because the desktop software sucks in comparison, or so it seems. I wish the iPad app allowed you to export in different resolutions like the desktop app. The different apps offer differing and non-complementary controls. What's your processing flow?

yes, you don't need to gopro mount.  removing it should fix it.  I export from my iphone then "edit" in finalcut.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Yeah, I know. But this was on my birthday gift list for my wife, and I wanted it NOW :D

I think this camera will do fine for now. I'll upgrade when 8k becomes available - maybe within a year or so?

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The field-of-view that you see now is the optimized setting. Zooming in would decrease the resolution.

It looks wide because I'm shooting at the end of a 10-foot pole. For me, I like seeing the wider context of where I'm riding.

There's no doubt that the 360 cameras have a different look to them in the resulting videos.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It looks wide because I'm shooting at the end of a 10-foot pole.

That pole... does it have a curve in when fully extended or is it perfectly straight? I'm trying to find a longer stick than the three foot that comes with the GoPro, but as they get longer they bend and that bend seems to produce a weird artifact around the mounting point. So far everything I've tried has a sag to it once it gets extended.

Edited by winterwheel

14 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

That pole... does it have a curve in when fully extended or is it perfectly straight? I'm trying to find a longer stick than the three foot that comes with the GoPro, but as they get longer they bend and that bend seems to produce a weird artifact around the mounting point. So far everything I've tried has a sag to it once it gets extended.

It's not ridgid that's for sure. Unavoidable unless you want your stick to weight 10-pounds  

• Like 1

Not a very exciting video, but here's a typical route that I take from the San Gabriel river (one of the paved over Los Angeles rivers) to my home neighborhood.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Unavoidable unless you want your stick to weight 10-pounds  

Might not be a bad way to get some exercise value out of my wheel time. :) I actually wouldn't mind a heavier stick that I could carry for short distances or mount to something when taping stuff around the house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

yeah i was about to buy the insta but holding out see what the new one is like first

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stephen said:

yeah i was about to buy the insta but holding out see what the new one is like first

I'm guessing that it's essentially the same camera but with a form factor that allows you to throw it. Very cool, but not useful for riding videos.

Guess we'll find out in a few days.