THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Since it's for cars and trucks

I first heard of the road through Phil Freeman (MotoQuest tours) a few years ago when he was organizing an 'experimental tour'. I read about it then. A new road has been constructed around it and rockfall on the Yungas is a bigger problem for trucks and cars than two wheeled vehicles since it is no longer routinely cleared and repaired. It has a summer or spring opening date after inspection but is closed during the south American winter.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294072-i5798-k9327065-Driving_on_Yungas_road_still_possible-La_Paz_La_Paz_Department.html

Bicycle rentals and guided tours by a local pro exist.

https://www.boliviahop.com/discounts/death-road-tours/

With drone video positioned to the side a DJI Go 4 type drone might make a different YouTube type video in spots when it's not foggy! Maybe 360 video...for sure in time from bicyclists.

Google Earth Streetview is found along most of the toady.

Yungas road - Google Earth Streetview

@Marty Backe

try Google Streetview at this gps (Streetview might not show as blue-line but the 360 photo record is there)

16°16'8.55"S,  67°47'3.95"W

Protective gear, perhaps too shin guards for EUC riders but the elbow and forearm guards are worth a look

https://earth.app.goo.gl/bCf6AU

Edited by Bob Eisenman

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

That looks ridiculously difficult, except the falling part which anyone can  probably do even better than you just did.

it was the upper unit that failed! Hope you are ok, and nice tricks btw

I must sheepishly say that I have fallen before. But this one was quite a bad spill.

Fall time .2 sec. The GF and I are still laughing about it.

Thanks for the nice feedback.

20180930_112544_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

I would freak out and go over the cliff with my current riding ability.  I got scared just watching the video LOL

@Marty Backe did I hear right at the end you are taking a break to rest your legs? Are you starting to slag around now :P

I thought you would have the stamina by now only to be matched by Superman after all the videos you made so far on trail rides.And of course taming that Z10 and its 25-kg:w00t2:

Ok ok jokes off, I guess my kneees would last me 100' to 200 yards on those trails.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

Looks like fun! Just be careful, the MSX tire doesn’t grip too well on wet nature. A spot of soft mud and the grip goes down to zero...

I agree, the older MSuper V3 tire was much better on wet off-road driving.

3 hours ago, egiljo said:

I've been taking flying lessons lately ?

Deep hole and my wheel hit it in a wrong angle. 

Are you ok?  Interesting dynamics as the MSX became disoriented after hitting the hole. It both tipped and rotated CCW while your right foot began slipping off.

Keep an eye out for those trail irregularities. You can easily get caught up enjoying the scenery  when a sudden hole or tree root appears and ruins your day. 

30113680597_d70566a9bf_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

This video is of a run down the shoreline of Astotin Lake. Like most of my other videos, it looks far better when viewed in 4k, especially the heavily forested sections. I'm convinced now that at 1080p YouTube doesn't supply the bitrate needed to keep up with fast riding through forests. At 4k we appear to be getting 40Mbs, while at 1080p it looks like only about 10 are getting through. I'm going to try some more experiments to verify this.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for asking @Rehab1 , yes I'm mostly unharmed.

Had the armour on, so I'm only feeling a bit beat up in back/neck after landing on right shoulder and head.

I inspected the place it occured and what I think happened:

The hole is long and narrow (like a burn out from a motorcycle). My path crossed this hole and the wheel fell into the hole. I didn't see the hole and was expecting the msuper to go further to the right. But as the tire fell into the hole it could not get up on the right side and bounced back left. There a new hole just after that I also hit and I think this was messing up my "save" attempt and made the wheel turn so much it threw me off.

I thought of inspecting the path before running fast since there's been a flood recently, but didn't do it...(stupid)

So I learned 3 things:

1. Inspect the trail before riding fast

2. Always use body armour

3. ALWAYS use body armour and inspect the trail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, egiljo said:

I thought of inspecting the path before running fast since there's been a flood recently, but didn't do it...(stupid)

Glad your ok. Not stupid. We all learn from our mistakes. Your pre flight check list sounds about right. :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Glad your ok. Not stupid. We all learn from our mistakes. Your pre flight check list sounds about right. :)

Thanks,

Also been thinking about grippier shoes after you pointing out the slip in the video.

Skechers are very nice shoes, but not very grippy when wet.

In the other video a page back my feet slipped there also, and I had several ones after that.

Maybe this missing grip was the reason for not being able to make the save after the 2 hole ? So the wheel turned too much to hold my kinetic forward energy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egiljo said:

Maybe this missing grip was the reason for not being able to make the save after the 2 hole ? 

Hard to say if grip was the issue.  Did your feet lifted off the pedals as you exited the holes?

Just don’t add spikes to your pedals like I did. Not a pleasant outcome.

Kinetic energy played a roll but if you went down the same path again with awareness and hit the holes straight on I’m sure you would exit with a perfect 10.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Stupid if you don't learn from mistakes or misjudgement or an accident. If you do same thing and expect a different results, that might not be considered smart ?

I learned a lot as a kid riding bike. Now for some reason I get a refreshment cause riding EUC ?

So I totally agree with you @Rehab1

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Would you mind telling that to my wife? ;)

I am pretty sure you will do a much better job convincing her than I do. But feel free to show her my post. Just be aware she might get curious and want to read more on forum if you dare ??

• Like 2