Jump to content

THE VIDEO THREAD!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm back with part 2 of my comparison review of the Gotway MSX vs Kingsong 18XL! Took them out to the park to do some off-roading. These things are tough...    

My son Matt honored me with a birthday gift a few months before he died. Low on money he somehow found a copy of an old Rare Earth song 'City Life' that I really like and then recorded it on a CD for

City night ride. Strap on your headphones.  

Posted Images

I don't know what impressed me most about this video. The maneuvering skills, the spontaneous circles, the rock steady camera angle, or the audio track (listen to it with headphones, pretty sure I heard Zeplin). I sure do like the style (black on black (Tesla) with a little red accent on the pads) nice. I would like to make that ride someday.

Edited by Psices
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psices said:

I don't know what impressed me most about this video. The maneuvering skills, the spontaneous circles, the rock steady camera angle, or the audio track (listen to it with headphones, pretty sure I heard Zeplin). I sure do like the style (black on black (Tesla) with a little red accent on the pads) nice. I would like to make that ride someday.

Glad you liked the video. I always enjoy riding here. The soundtrack is the background sounds of Venice Beach, and I think someone was playing a bit of Zeppelin somewhere along the way :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Marty, you're on a roll (no pun intended... or tbh totally intended) with all these videos!

The Tesla no longer does the Gotway Dance, right? Otherwise I would be worried about everyone's shins in a potential loss of balance (like when you had to step down two times) in the really dense crowds. Just imagine it with the ACM...

I also like how often you go to the same spots. Now you're not just showing the sights and sounds, you're also part of the human beach inventory and sights and sounds yourself:efee47c9c8: Maybe some local people already said "Oh, this guy again" to themselves when you sped by once more:efee8319ab:

Cool to see the famous California incline from the EUC perspective. They rebuilt that road/ramp recently, if I remember correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow, Marty, you're on a roll (no pun intended... or tbh totally intended) with all these videos!

The Tesla no longer does the Gotway Dance, right? Otherwise I would be worried about everyone's shins in a potential loss of balance (like when you had to step down two times) in the really dense crowds. Just imagine it with the ACM...

I also like how often you go to the same spots. Now you're not just showing the sights and sounds, you're also part of the human beach inventory and sights and sounds yourself:efee47c9c8: Maybe some local people already said "Oh, this guy again" to themselves when you sped by once more:efee8319ab:

Cool to see the famous California incline from the EUC perspective. They rebuilt that road/ramp recently, if I remember correctly.

I've ridden my other Gotway wheels in these conditions. It's pretty easy to just step off the wheel in a controlled manner, at 1-mph, so I'm not worried about the Gotway Dance in these conditions.

This was the first time I took a wheel up the "Incline". There are so many places to explore that just about every ride I can find an unexplored spot to travel :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

A short video when I was at Atlantic City last week.  It was cold!!!  My face was numb and could barely talk after the ride.

This is no match to Sana Monica beach! SIGH!!!!

 

 

Looks like a fantastic place to ride, when it's warm. With your description of the cold along with the wind sounds, this video was bone chilling :cry2:

Using a full-face helmet is probably very helpful in these conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is videos like these that show just how useful and how in their element wheels are. Relaxed touring in mixed pedestrian and bicycle crowds. 

Now do most of you guys live close by or do you have some distance to travel to get to these places? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

It is videos like these that show just how useful and how in their element wheels are. Relaxed touring in mixed pedestrian and bicycle crowds. 

Now do most of you guys live close by or do you have some distance to travel to get to these places? 

This area is about a 25-mile drive from where I live. But it's only a few miles from where I work so I get out there often during long lunch 'hours'.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Don't try this at home kids until you are very comfortable riding your wheel.

I took the Tesla for a beach ride today (New Years Eve) and the crowds were insane. I thought you might enjoy some of the sights and sounds of the Santa Monica Pier and the challenges of riding among so many people.

 

@Marty Backe, you need to learn to go slow, you are still doing the side to side for slow movement compensation.  It isn't fast enough for walking speeds.  you need to learn to twist with your upper body.  I was thinking of doing a video to teach what I've learned but haven't gotten around to it since it is soooo cold here.  try going slower than walking, the tilting the EUC side to side will not work and takes too much work on the lets.  If you just stand up straight, even with legs locked, you can just do simple twist with the body to compensate and you will be able to go slower than walking. 

I think it would be a fun game to challenge everyone to go as slow as you can for 15ft.  Simple enough to mark out a strip 15ft long and try to time yourself going from beginning to the end.  see how slow you can go.  the highest time wins without going backwards.  only forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 30 min. to DC, 3-4 hours to AC and about 4hrs to NYC.

We had a little get away at AC.  Visited NYC 2 days but didn't take any videos for obvious reasons (super cold).  And I don't have a gopro.

In less than a year, I've collected 3 EUCs now.  I'm looking forward to more riding with my kids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

A short video when I was at Atlantic City last week.  It was cold!!!  My face was numb and could barely talk after the ride.

This is no match to Sana Monica beach! SIGH!!!!

 

 

That's the first time I've seen video of the boardwalk, wow, that's long!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I feel competent enough riding slowly. Keep in mind that I'm holding a camera and filming while riding which may affect the end result that you see here. And it's one thing to ride slowly on a side walk (what you may be describing) and wholly another experience to ride among a throng of semi-randomly moving people on extremely rough pier timbers. For the times that I must thread a route through a crowd my technique is sufficient for me.

But if you want to film yourself while riding within a dynamic crowd I'd love to see it. Otherwise it's just theory.

It isn't a theory, I learned it riding on the crowded sidewalks in NYC.  NYC sidewalks more crowded than what you see here on the broad walk.  it is more narrow and more people.  They are sometimes really rough and cracked.  Not smooth like in other cities.  I was riding with a bunch of friends who didn't have EUC's and had to go really show.  The technique I started out using is what you used here, the side to side motion which isn't enough to compensate when you go slower.  It also was really taxing to do the side to side leaning of the EUC and it wasn't effective when going really slow.  I was able to go slower than walking with the new technique which is the upper body twisting.  I learned it from riding the manual unicycle.  If you see people riding manual unicycle they have to twist their body to keep from falling when going slow.

Edited by eddiemoy
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

It also was really taxing to do the side to side leaning of the EUC and it wasn't effective when going really slow. 

I actually like to use the side-to-side wiggle when I'm going slow because it helps to work out some of the tension and cramps  in my legs and feet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I actually like to use the side-to-side wiggle when I'm going slow because it helps to work out some of the tension and cramps  in my legs and feet.

It's all cued up... Just click below to see that wiggle.

https://youtu.be/wyx6JDQCslE?t=2m12s

BTW - If you go back to the start of this clip (on Venice Beach), can anyone tell if that EUC-ist in the background is our very own Marty?

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It's all cued up... Just click below to see that wiggle.

https://youtu.be/wyx6JDQCslE?t=2m12s

BTW - If you go back to the start of this clip (on Venice Beach), can anyone tell if that EUC-ist in the background is our very own Marty?

Is there a way for me to un-see this video :blink1:

Funny how I recognize the background scenes now that I ride this area so much. Too bad EUCs had not been invented at the time of this video, otherwise we could have gotten into the action.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Is there a way for me to un-see this video :blink1:

Funny how I recognize the background scenes now that I ride this area so much. Too bad EUCs had not been invented at the time of this video, otherwise we could have gotten into the action.

Yep... An "anonymous" unicyclist riding an Mten3 along the bar top (while wearing a sparkly thong) would have done wonders for our fetish hobby! 

And, no! This can't be unseen... :roflmao:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...