THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I believe you are correct that the initial fire started from a direct trauma to the pack and not an electrical short from the infiltration of water. My wife's new KS 14C was underwater for over an hour and there was not indication of a short.

I am pretty sure there was electrolysis from the board, not the battery that split the H2O into hydrogen and water. Yoshi said there was a snap, flash, and the fire was quick, all of a sudden type of thing. This is exactly the type of Perfect Storm that would creat electrolysis. The Mosfets hold tremendous capacity and in my Hydrogen hybrid they were essential to ramp up the amps for the electrolysis. I am pretty sure it is easier for water to get to the mosfets and capacitors than it is to come in contact with the battery.

I also wonder why, if it was a battery fire that the batteries were not more damaged from the inside of the individual batteries, instead of from the outside. My theory is that the mainboard was flooded with saltwater. As electrolysis split the water H2 was released with Oxygen and once the water drained enough to expose the mosfets to air, POP! and a spark or arc and the board and EUC would look melted in about 3 seconds.

I would like to get that board and see if I can duplicate that to see if I can make hydrogen through electrolysis easier. Whats @Marty Backe gonna do with that part? Is it at all salvageable? I want dibs for experiments!:blink::furious::efeed51798:

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I would like to get that board and see if I can duplicate that to see if I can make hydrogen through electrolysis easier. Whats @Marty Backe gonna do with that part? Is it at all salvageable? I want dibs for experiments!:blink::furious::efeed51798:

We love experiments on this forum and your's sounds like a good one! :)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

2nd attempt with Gopro Quick.

Love that speed. You found a great way to demonstrate top speeds. I'll have to keep an eye out for some of those speed monitors around where I live, not that I'll try and push 50km/h :cry2:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

I am pretty sure there was electrolysis from the board, not the battery that split the H2O into hydrogen and water. Yoshi said there was a snap, flash, and the fire was quick, all of a sudden type of thing. This is exactly the type of Perfect Storm that would creat electrolysis. The Mosfets hold tremendous capacity and in my Hydrogen hybrid they were essential to ramp up the amps for the electrolysis. I am pretty sure it is easier for water to get to the mosfets and capacitors than it is to come in contact with the battery.

I also wonder why, if it was a battery fire that the batteries were not more damaged from the inside of the individual batteries, instead of from the outside. My theory is that the mainboard was flooded with saltwater. As electrolysis split the water H2 was released with Oxygen and once the water drained enough to expose the mosfets to air, POP! and a spark or arc and the board and EUC would look melted in about 3 seconds.

I threw the board away. I really can't imagine anything being done with it. At least two of the MOSFETs were shattered into pieces.

I don't understand your discussion about MOSFETs. They are simple devices and are used as on/off switches. They don't hold energy or 'ramp up the amps'. But this is all academic in this case - the board is toast :(

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I was recently thinking "maybe he could at least save the pedals...". Not even that:mellow:

later edit: Wow, what a mess! Looks like both impact+salt water (opening up and maybe damaging the sealed battery, and then extra conductive water getting in) were both necessary to start a fire. And only a part of the battery failed (could be one electrically directly connected 20s block?), which is very reassuring that one bad cell/spot won't blow up the entire thing (even with water getting to the rest):thumbup:

Great tear down video Marty! Very informative, and you could almost smell it:cry2:

I was also reassured that the whole battery didn't go up in flames.

The burning smell was very intense in and around this wheel. I'm glad that it's now in the trash - hmmm, should I have attempted to recycle the batteries :P

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Great informative autopsy! This is the first time I have seen @YoshiSkySun in a wheelchair! Get well soon buddy!

I love the blue gloves Marty. Never know if Yoush's ACM picked up some contaminated hypodermic needles tumbling down the rocks.;)

I believe you are correct that the initial fire started from a direct trauma to the pack and not an electrical short from the infiltration of water. My wife's new KS 14C was underwater for over an hour and there was not indication of a short.

We need to start an EUC Museum topic and display Yorsi's wheel as the first entry. 

I don't think you would have wanted to touch this wheel without protection ;) Melted plastic, oozing fluids, battery chemicals, etc. I was glad to eventually get it in the trash.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice long smooth shots!

"You" were the guy with the grey shirt, white GT16 and the stick-gimbal-camera thing? I was watching another video of this ride yesterday, and was going crazy because you seemed familiar (never a clear shot, so never really sure if and why that was actually the case):D

Not my video - Another rider's video of the same New York City ride.

Thanks!

Hahah yeap that's me!!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

The only thing missing in your post is "Hold my beer and watch this." :D

We used the mosfets in two places for the HHO hybrid Chevy Pickup truck electronics. One was in the efie switch to fool the oxygen sensor and the other place was in a pulse wave type of modulator for the current. It has been 8 years since I was working on it and I have yet to locate the designs for the PWM and other switches.

From what I remember about the unit, the higher the amps, the higher the HHO output from the project. The EUC has a mini 3 phase type of motor power that can increase the amps to achieve higher watt output as the EUC accelerates or reverses. Its not too much of a stretch to think that these devices could increase the efficiency from 15% gains in the Chevy HHO hybrid and steam exhaust emmisions to more than 50% or greater depending on the size of the vehicle. 

Marty's description of the robot remains is a relief that it is thrown away. As far as safety is concerned, it should be something to be aware of when disassembling the machine to make sure that the seals around the batteries and mainboard are replaced or modified to be more reliable if needed. It will shock many to know that in older cars from the 50's and 60's some batteries vented their hydrogen into the air intakes of the engines for more power and octane

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't think you would have wanted to touch this wheel without protection ;) Melted plastic, oozing fluids, battery chemicals, etc.

Great autopsy! :P  Glad to see that you salvaged the wedges, I wonder if they would work on the Monster?:ph34r:

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

We used the mosfets in two places for the HHO hybrid Chevy Pickup truck electronics. One was in the efie switch to fool the oxygen sensor and the other place was in a pulse wave type of modulator for the current. It has been 8 years since I was working on it and I have yet to locate the designs for the PWM and other switches.

From what I remember about the unit, the higher the amps, the higher the HHO output from the project. The EUC has a mini 3 phase type of motor power that can increase the amps to achieve higher watt output as the EUC accelerates or reverses. Its not too much of a stretch to think that these devices could increase the efficiency from 15% gains in the Chevy HHO hybrid and steam exhaust emmisions to more than 50% or greater depending on the size of the vehicle. 

Marty's description of the robot remains is a relief that it is thrown away. As far as safety is concerned, it should be something to be aware of when disassembling the machine to make sure that the seals around the batteries and mainboard are replaced or modified to be more reliable if needed. It will shock many to know that in older cars from the 50's and 60's some batteries vented their hydrogen into the air intakes of the engines for more power and octane

That sounds related to water injection used in some cars in the 50's and 60's, that came with a special 50/50 mix of water and methyl alcohol.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MW50  

Edited by steve454

@Marty Backe Was the motor a complete write-off?  I wonder if sending it to Rehab1 might allow him to rewire it and bring life back into it as long as the hall sensors aren't fried?  Maybe consider it like giving Rehab a second chance with his modding?  I think he has a spare board too... I wonder if he can Frankenwheel things back to life...

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Marty Backe Was the motor a complete write-off?  I wonder if sending it to Rehab1 might allow him to rewire it and bring life back into it as long as the hall sensors aren't fried?  Maybe consider it like giving Rehab a second chance with his modding?  I think he has a spare board too... I wonder if he can Frankenwheel things back to life...

:laughbounce2: Would love to once you send me your Flame for an overhaul!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That sounds related to water injection used in some cars in the 50's and 60's, that came with a special 50/50 mi

Well, not exactly, but that is totally cool! :thumbup:

The Subaru 360 truck vents its battery compartment into the air intake as a 2stroke 2 cylinder. The MGTF does as well. H burns at a 130 octane rating, so it couldnt hurt those old engines that needed the higher octane ratings for proper operation.

There were smoke generator cars in the 30's and 40's running off of the flamable gasses in wood and coal smoke. They had these crazy sooty stove contraptions on the tailgates feeding smoke into the engines somehow. So speaking of HMB (Hold my beer) redneck rocket scientists used a smoke fueled generator to run a sprinkler system for their buddy so he wouldnt have to work so hard watering his lawn, which I think was the guy's roof. Lol,  Hey fellers watch this.... :shock2:

Edited by Stan Onymous
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

OMG.  I don't know how you guys do it.  The ACM16 weights like a ton to me.  Everything time I hit a bump it hurts from the weight of the machine wanting to knock me off.  Most of the time, I'm fighting just to stay on it.

The ACM is definitely more grounded, stable, powerful than the V8.  It definitely gives a better ride.  If I'm lucky enough to avoid all that Gotway problems.

While standing: I would normally bend my knees a little and relax my ankles for the sudden impact from unforeseen road hazards (this is like EUC101, but i find myself locking my knees to stretch my back sometime and very little bump can cause a major out of balance)

While seated: screw all that, its 22 inch wheel can eat most potholes like nothing. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MaxLinux said:

When SuperSport's group crossed this water (2:48), I imagine the bottom must have been quite muddy.

The water was murky and stinky, but [[spoiler alert]] we were riding over a flooded paved path in fairly good nick. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I'm sure that's what @Rehab1 needs, another motor to work on :)  Unfortunately it's now in the big trash dump in the sky...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

The Subaru 360 truck vents its battery compartment into the air intake as a 2stroke 2 cylinder. The MGTF does as well. H burns at a 130 octane rating, so it couldnt hurt those old engines that needed the higher octane ratings for proper operation.

I can't imagine the small amount of hydrogen produced by a lead-acid battery would make much of a difference, but since they don't want it to build up anywhere it makes sense to dispose of it in the intake anyway. I've had two cars with the battery in the trunk and they just had vent tubes that ran out the bottom of the trunk so that you wouldn't get a trunk full of hydrogen. After all, you don't the back-end to get too light on a rear-drive car. :D

Edited by dmethvin
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

When SuperSport's group crossed this water (2:48), I imagine the bottom must have been quite muddy. Everyone's tires seemed to maintain a good grip! Look at 2:48. My MSuper V2 slipped in much less mud than this, even though I was moving slowly and carefully.

I was surprised the main boards didn't short out, in photos it is located down low in the shell in front of the pedal.  I think @SuperSport said they had coated their boards somehow to make them more waterproof.

• Upvote 3