THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

3 hours ago, kasenutty said:

Sweet pedal slide!

Thanx man, it's still my favorite original trick. BTW I'm still waiting for someone else to try it! :ph34r::whistling:

P.s. please comment or :thumbup: on my Youtube. Thnx

Edited by Sidestreet Reny
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, abinder3 said:

Are those padded shin guards that you're wearing?
(By the way, nice riding.)

Allen

Yep. Just neoprene no plastic. Thnx 4 the luv.

P.s. please comment or :thumbup: on my Youtube. Thnx

Edited by Sidestreet Reny
  • Upvote 1

Riding the streets of Copenhagen on Electric Unicycles with EUC Denmark. EUC Denmark is a local community of riders meeting to share the mutual passion for Electric Unicycles. This was the first official trip during Easter where the weather was decent. You can see in the video many nice places in our Capital.

• Upvote 3

This is a shorter version of the Mesa-Tempe AZ ride I posted a couple of weeks ago, for anyone who couldn't stand the idea of watching a 24 minute video.  This version is under four minutes.   @dbfrese @Playarider @Clovis

Our next ride is coming up on May 6 in downtown Phoenix.  Anyone in the area is welcome to join.  We'd even accept a few Californians ... :D

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Ombre said:

This is a shorter version of the Mesa-Tempe AZ ride I posted a couple of weeks ago, for anyone who couldn't stand the idea of watching a 24 minute video.

Great editing work, @Ombre, and love the music! Watching this again, I see what a bad mistake it was to use my messenger bag instead of a backpack. The extra battery served as a pendulum, countering every move I made to maintain balance, constantly working against any balancing I was doing. fro now on. I'll leave the messenger bag at home if I am carrying a spare battery. A backpack holds the battery firmly in place, making the job of keeping upright much smoother.

3 hours ago, dbfrese said:

@Ombre I see what a bad mistake it was to use my messenger bag instead of a backpack. The extra battery served as a pendulum, countering every move I made to maintain balance

I was wondering about that. You seemed to be doing an usual amount of arm flailing for such an experienced rider, but since I never met you before I wasn't sure if that was just your "style".  My wife saw the video and blamed your messenger bag right off the bat.

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

A quick spin on the new Rockwheel GT16

@captainwells just received his new GT16 and was gracious enough to allow me to ride it for 6-7 miles. Periodically we ride the Southern California beach together and as I was riding out to meet him he said that he got his Rockwheel GT16 (ordered in early March) and was wondering if I wanted to see it. "Are you kidding me" :dribble:

So I dropped my 1300wh ACM off at his house and took the GT16 for a nice long ride down the Strand and associated paths. He rode his KingSong 16S (which I got to also ride on the return leg). These are my initial observations.

I, like many people, really like the looks of this wheel. It may not be as practical in less sunny climates as Southern California due to the very exposed wheel. But it has the cool factor going on. As previously observed, the slide out mud guard also rubs on this wheel, so it appears to be designed that way. If you slide it halfway in it no longer rubs.

The pedals are not floppy (@Rehab1 will like this), but they are small. On the other hand during my 7 mile ride my feet felt comfortable. My feet feel less comfortable when riding 7 miles on my KS14C. They have a soft rubber  layer (not coating) that was half attached on one of the pedals. Maybe that contributes to the comfort level. But I suspect they might be very slippery when wet. Again, no problemo in Southern California :P

Also as mentioned elsewhere, the two rubber pads are not attached on the top. They flop away from the wheel easily. Very odd. We can't see what purpose leaving them not attached could be. But they are very comfortable on the legs.

My only reference for this wheel is the ACM. The GT16 weighs substantially less and looks much smaller. Yet it is a 16 inch wheel and the tire is just as wide as the ACM. I did observe that the tire tread is much less aggressive than the ACM, which isn't particularly aggressive. Relating it to bicycles, the tire looks more like a road tire (smooth tread in the middle).

The power button is under the handle and below the surface of the soft top plastic. So it's fully water proof. It's location is a good thing because like many other early wheels, it turns on and off instantly at the press of the button. So you wouldn't want to accidentally bump the switch while you were riding. Most other wheels require you to press and hold for a second or two before they turn on or off.

Now the fun part, how does it ride? Fast, very fast. And extremely nibble. I have to say, I loved riding this wheel. It feels like it has all the oomph (that's a technical term) of the ACM, but since it's lighter, it feels like a faster accelerator. The ACM is a 'dense' wheel and sticks to the pavement, making it feel like a very stable wheel. The GT16 does not feel like a stable wheel, but in a very good way. It handles like a 14 inch wheel. But here's the thing, and I'm not sure why this should be, but it feels much smoother than a comparable nimble wheel. When I rode the KS16S on the return it also felt very nimble, but was noticeably less controllable than the GT16.

It's very responsive (no pedal dipping). Those of you who don't like the relative softness of the Gotway wheels will love the GT16. I do.

We rode to the end of the beach path where there's a very steep path to the upper parking lots. It's a good test. The GT16 flew up the hill. And since there's not a lot of history with this wheel I wasn't trying to really push it. But I was able to accelerate up the hill and it felt very perky in the process. Much perkier than the ACM. We'll have to take the GT16 into the mountains to really test it's raw power, but my impression is that it may out perform the ACM.

Of course I have no idea whether it's prone to overheating, or whether it's reliable. But I really like riding this wheel - it's a blast.

There's one oddity that @captainwells first observed and you may be able to hear it in the video. The wheel emits the typical whine that you expect from these powerful wheels, and my impression is that it's a lower pitched whine compared to the Gotway. But, in addition to the whine there is a very noticeable crackling sound. The best analogy that we can come up with is the cracking sound that you hear from high tension power lines. We joked that we hoped that there weren't a bunch of sparks going on inside the wheel :cry2:

I have to say that now I really want to buy this wheel. But I'm married, so you know where this is going. I have four really nice wheels, none of which I would want to swap for the GT16. So somehow I have to subtly purchase it without making her think that I've lost my mind :unsure:  Does anyone really need 5 very nice wheels (I'm looking at you @captainwells)?

Of course @captainwells has a lot more time on the wheel than I do, and he can talk about the app and such things. So if you have more questions he may chime in. I may let him break it in for a few weeks, and if it doesn't explode (that crackling sound) I'll most likely be pulling the trigger :facepalm:

I got my first wheel on the 28th of February this year and I have 2 wheels already looking to buy another which I can use in the city the GT16 sounds like a great wheel lots of power and very nimble only down side I see is that it doesn't have a trolley handle I know you can get one to attach to it not sure if it's good or not where as the KS 16S comes with one built in which I really like. I too have a wife and I think I have to think carefully and choose one which I would like I don't have anymore reasons to give for another wheel in such a short time frame :cry2:. Great short review I'll wait and see how @captainwells goes with the GT16 in the next few weeks hopefully it is reliable :) .

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So somehow I have to subtly purchase it without making her think that I've lost my mind :unsure:  

If she didnot think that after 4 wheels allready...she will take a fifth, also :rolleyes: Perhaps she gave up after the second or third :whistling:

3 hours ago, Goodman said:

Also as mentioned elsewhere, the two rubber pads are not attached on the top. They flop away from the wheel easily. Very odd. We can't see what purpose leaving them not attached could be. But they are very comfortable on the legs.

I guessed that on some deliveries to the US the Batterie has to be sent separatly...perhaps because of that the pads are not taped, so that the Batterie compartment is better reachable?

Nice Review!

• Upvote 2

I love thinking about GT16 :) It is 84V, small weight, funny to ride like 14' .. I love it(except design :-D ) ACM is heavy and big for me.. But I am 97Kg. So, I am really worry about mother board in fire or faceplant in hill :( And no one sell this wheel in EU

OOPS. Double post! Sorry!:pooping: My computer is going nuts! @Marty Backe sorry that I quoted the wrong post regarding your original comment on the floppy pedals!:crying:

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

And nimble is relative. My GT16 feels like a regular 16", not as nimble as my 14" V5F+, especially due to the GT16's 49lbs.

The GT16 weighs 49 lbs?

That's almost as much as my KS18; it supposedly weighs 50 lbs. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

If she didnot think that after 4 wheels allready...she will take a fifth, also :rolleyes: Perhaps she gave up after the second or third :whistling:

I guessed that on some deliveries to the US the Batterie has to be sent separatly...perhaps because of that the pads are not taped, so that the Batterie compartment is better reachable?

Nice Review!

That is not true. read the regulations. Basically it is simpler to ship with batteries installed. The rules basically say that it needs to be robust enclosure and that packaging need have cushioning and strong box. also batteries need to be at below 30% charge. if you send batteries alone it have more restrictions. specially battery packs.

“Rigid” Packaging (Effective January 1, 2016). The updated regulations specify that “strong rigid outer packaging” must be used for batteries that are shipped alone or in or with equipment when meeting the requirements of Section II of Packing Instructions 965, 966, 967, 968, 969, and 970. The Packing Instructions also specify acceptable materials for such packaging (e.g., fiberboard boxes, plastic drums).

Battery Powered Equipment (Effective January 1, 2016). The Regulations include special packaging requirements to address the potential risk of transporting hover boards and other vehicles containing lithium batteries. Under Packing Instruction 952, battery powered equipment and vehicles that may be handled in different positions must be secured in a strong, rigid outer packaging and “be secured by means capable of restraining the vehicle in the outer packaging to prevent any movement during transport that would change the orientation or cause the vehicle to be damaged.” Updated Packing Instruction 952 also forbids the transport of vehicles containing “[l]ithium batteries identified by the manufacturer as being defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, that have the potential of producing a dangerous evolution of heat, fire or short circuit…”

Lithium Ion Batteries Packaged Alone (Effective April 1, 2016). Lithium ion or lithium polymer cells and batteries packaged alone (i.e., without equipment) may not exceed a state of charge of 30% of their rated design capacity (under Packing Instruction 965) as determined by the guidance and methodology in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, 5th revised edition, Amendment 1, Section 38.3.2.3. Shippers may ship lithium ion or polymer cells or batteries with a state of charge greater than 30% only if they have received approval from the State of Origin and the State of the Operator.

As these small lithium battery-powered vehicles do meet the definition of “vehicles” as set out in Special Provision A21, and as they are powered by a lithium ion battery then the correct classification for these small vehicles is UN 3171, Battery-powered vehicle and therefore must be packed in accordance with Packing instruction 952.
There are a number of important considerations with respect to the use of UN 3171 for these small vehicles, as follows:
1. the assignment to UN 3171 does not provide for any exception from the full application of the Regulations, i.e. there is no exception for vehicles that contain lithium ion batteries that do not exceed 100 Wh.
2. the net quantity required on the Shipper’s Declaration for UN 3171 is the net weight of the complete vehicle. There is no limit on the weight of a lithium ion battery in a vehicle or in a package and there is no net quantity difference between passenger aircraft and Cargo Aircraft Only.
3. If the lithium ion battery is removed from the vehicle and packed separate from the vehicle in the same outer packaging, then the classification becomes UN 3481, Lithium ion batteries packed with equipment and Packing Instruction 966 applies.
Recommendations
In locations where these devices are readily available and being consigned as cargo, operators should engage with freight forwarders and their cargo ground service provider to clarify the classification of these small vehicles and the additional considerations that apply. Forwarders should be encouraged to reach out to shippers of these products to ensure that the shippers are made aware of the classification requirement as UN 3171.
You can contact the IATA Dangerous Goods Support team if you have questions or concerns that may not have been addressed in this document at: dangood@iata.org.

lithium-battery-vehicles-cargo.pdf

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, abinder3 said:

The GT16 weighs 49 lbs?

That's almost as much as my KS18; it supposedly weighs 50 lbs. 

Proximity of weight, in particular battery weight, might make the KS18 feel heavier (ie. gravity), as the battery packs are down the leg sides and farther from the handle on the KS18 as opposed to the shorter GT16 (battery packs still down the side of each leg, albeit in a more compact frame).

This phenomena is particularly observed in the InMotion wheels, where the battery packs sit on top, right next to the handles.

edit: phenomena is the same, but disregard, should've read 39lbs for 858WH

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 1