Jump to content
dpong

THE VIDEO THREAD!

Recommended Posts

Nice video is that a drone or an even longer selfie stick 20ft😀😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There is no shortcut. Just ride, ride, ride .....   Fortunately the journey is very fun

This is SO TRUE!!!!!!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stephen said:

Nice video is that a drone or an even longer selfie stick 20ft😀😀

Thanks Stephen. It is footage shot from the Skydio R1 drone. What’s fun is there are so many different following modes the Skydio can be programmed to perform that I have not scratched the surface yet. The company also keeps coming up with software updates featuring new shooting platforms which is awesome. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I can't believe it was 55 degrees on Sunday. Similar as the winter thaw last year but this time no tragedies.

 

Wow, fantastic video. Love how you put the drone footage together (no holding of a controller, etc.). This makes me want to get a drone.

Now for a little critical commentary. I usually associate drones with smooth footage. This drone has a lot of erratic movements even though you are traveling on a smooth trajectory. Man, if that could be smoothed out I'd start saving for whatever drone you are using.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, fantastic video. Love how you put the drone footage together (no holding of a controller, etc.). This makes me want to get a drone.

Thanks Marty. There is no controller with the Skydio R1 you use an Iphone, tap the screen of the person you want to follow and it does the rest. You can have it follow, lead, 1/4  or full lateral follow, orbit,, etc. similar to a Mavic but with greater obstacle avoidance.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Now for a little critical commentary. I usually associate drones with smooth footage. This drone has a lot of erratic movements even though you are traveling on a smooth trajectory. Man, if that could be smoothed out I'd start saving for whatever drone you are using.

Yes I noticed some of the erratice movements too. At times the drone was following me at 20 mph with 12 -15 MPH wind gusts which is the max this drone can fly in. Also a few times it flew near some tiny branches and then almost took the roof off of an approaching car :cry2: so the obstacle avoidance  kicked in. 

I still need to attach the Insta360 X to my Mavic to see what happens. I have mount. I just need some time. As you are fully aware....I love experimenting. :) 

 Edit: @Marty Backe I just learned that the Skydio does not like to fly into ‘low horizon’ direct sunlight. That explains some of the jerky behavior. 

  • When the sun is low on the horizon, it can temporarily blind the R1’s cameras depending on the angle of flight. Your R1 may be cautious or jerky when flying directly toward the sun.
Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ps! I haven’t pooped , my pants have ripped,,honestđŸ˜©đŸ˜đŸ€Ș

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, stephen said:

Ps! I haven’t pooped , my pants have ripped,,honestđŸ˜©đŸ˜đŸ€Ș

Depends...   :blink1:

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, stephen said:

Ps! I haven’t pooped , my pants have ripped,,honestđŸ˜©đŸ˜đŸ€Ș

Just checking. :blink1::o 

33124767268_411d6ecc96_b.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Just checking. :blink1::o 

33124767268_411d6ecc96_b.jpg

 

Pmsl 😀 ,,the ventilation is a bit chilly thoughđŸ„¶

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks Marty. There is no controller with the Skydio R1 you use an Iphone, tap the screen of the person you want to follow and it does the rest. You can have it follow, lead, 1/4  or full lateral follow, orbit,, etc. similar to a Mavic but with greater obstacle avoidance.

Yes I noticed some of the erratice movements too. At times the drone was following me at 20 mph with 12 -15 MPH wind gusts which is the max this drone can fly in. Also a few times it flew near some tiny branches and then almost took the roof off of an approaching car :cry2: so the obstacle avoidance  kicked in. 

I still need to attach the Insta360 X to my Mavic to see what happens. I have mount. I just need some time. As you are fully aware....I love experimenting. :) 

 Edit: @Marty Backe I just learned that the Skydio does not like to fly into ‘low horizon’ direct sunlight. That explains some of the jerky behavior. 

  • When the sun is low on the horizon, it can temporarily blind the R1’s cameras depending on the angle of flight. Your R1 may be cautious or jerky when flying directly toward the sun.

Cool. So basically you were riding towards the Sun on a windy day - obviously challenging. So you should be able to get some nice smooth shots on a calmer day.

The simplicity of that drone is very appealing - seems perfect for EUC rides. Very tempting. That cost though :cry2:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some clips i shot while testing the insta360 so I've put a few together😊

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Cool. So basically you were riding towards the Sun on a windy day - obviously challenging. So you should be able to get some nice smooth shots on a calmer day.

The simplicity of that drone is very appealing - seems perfect for EUC rides. Very tempting. That cost though :cry2:

Yes that was the scenario. I looked back at the snow run I shot with Skydio a few weeks back and the footage was smooth but there was clouds and no wind that day. 

The battery life on this drone is suppose to be approximately 18 minutes but I only achieved 12 minutes due to the cool temperatures. I always encase my spare batteries in a thermal bag with a hand warmer but once they are exposed to the  cold their charge capacity diminishes. Hopefully the battery life increases when it turns warmer as spares are expensive. 

Yes the cost.:( I could have purchased a new wheel and then faced the wrath of my wife or purchase a new expensive drone a still face the wrath. The latter appeared to be a bit safer for my longevity so I chose that route. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still in the learning stage so i feel intimidated posting in here, haha. This was the last session before we got freezing rain, so i wont be back outside for a while, again. Learning to turn comfortably to the left is really hard. I've started leading with an arm. Kinda like a fighting stance or something. Anyways, heres me riding in circled in the freezing cold with some fun voice over. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Your making excellent progress seage. When it comes to turning try looking over your shoulder in the direction you want to turn. As your head turns it will automatically be followed by your shoulders. You should turn naturally if your not flailing with your arms for balance. Also a little more bend of the knee on the side your turning might help.

Okay, now i've got a real question for you and anyone else because this has been getting me. 

So ive seen there are a few ways to turn. The slower speed swivel for tighter turns and like 180s and so on. Leading with the hip for the wider, gradual turns, and pushing down with one foot and bending the other. But on the last one there, the one i was trying to get down, if i were to turn right, i would straighten the right foot and bend left, letting the wheel lean over into the straighter leg. But then i hear people say to bend the opposite leg to go around corners. And i think thats how its done on a bike or a motorcycle, but does it work on the euc? Since its literally the opposite from the other turn... Im confused, haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, seage said:

Okay, now i've got a real question for you and anyone else because this has been getting me. 

So ive seen there are a few ways to turn. The slower speed swivel for tighter turns and like 180s and so on. Leading with the hip for the wider, gradual turns, and pushing down with one foot and bending the other. But on the last one there, the one i was trying to get down, if i were to turn right, i would straighten the right foot and bend left, letting the wheel lean over into the straighter leg. But then i hear people say to bend the opposite leg to go around corners. And i think thats how its done on a bike or a motorcycle, but does it work on the euc? Since its literally the opposite from the other turn... Im confused, haha. 

i like to do gradual turns/curves by just slightly lifting my foot on the opposite side.. if i want to turn on the spot i will lift the opposite leg and then twist my upper body the direction i want to turn.. for a sharper turn while moving yes lift up the foot opposite to the direction you want to turn and push down with the leg on the side of the way you want to turn.. like to turn left sharply bend the right knee and push down the left leg, to do a very sharp turn or a sharp turn from moving at a quick speed i will do what i just said but at the same time  lean my whole body back, seems counter intuitive but it works,,, much easier to show than explain lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@seage , maybe this helps a little. He’s got a few more How to videos, helped me a lot.

 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:thumbup:

What is your EUC, and do you use a special tire...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sbouju said:

:thumbup:

What is your EUC, and do you use a special tire...?

It's an ACM2 with about 3500km on it, stock tire. I ride twice a day every day, have had five unplanned dismounts this winter, four of them because I was trying to video while riding instead of concentrating on staying upright.:angry:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, winterwheel said:

if you dress right and trust your wheel, travelling in these conditions can be a really beautiful thing

:wub: Love the ride, love the music, love the scenery. But you sure need the right clothes!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@winterwheel +! on the video.  What is "yegwheel" ?  And what did you cross on that bridge? the fricking Atlantic Ocean!  Jesus that was long.  That poor woman had a long way to walk in that cold.  Did they ever find her body?  I can only imagine that the original settlers of Edmonton arrived in the spring, and by the time winter set in they were too well established to move.  When I live in Houston, I imagined the settlers arriving in the winter because the heat and humidity is killer without A/C.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 3:52 AM, Marty Backe said:

The simplicity of that drone is very appealing - seems perfect for EUC rides. Very tempting. That cost thouï»żgh :cry2:

Rest assured, we're all beside ourselves with worry that you can't afford that drone. :roflmao:

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Myï»ż coldest ï»żmorning commute coming ï»żit at -33Cï»żï»ż

The view from the bridge with the tracks on top is interesting

EdmontonEdmonton

It sure gets cold there

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton

"The lowest overall temperature ever recorded in Edmonton was −49.4 °C (−56.9 °F), on January 19 and 21, 1886.[60]"

The tar sands must get stiff in the winter

Edmonton

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×