THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

It looks to me like the wheel hit a bump right in the shadow area, which initiated the wheel instability. It may be that he didn't realize there was a bump there because it was in the shadow. It further looks to me like footwear was part of the issue; with proper shoes it is possible he might have been able to hang on to it.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

On 10/8/2018 at 4:24 PM, eddiemoy said:

here you go.

That was perfect. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Extremely clear that it's a wobble induced fall. Scary.

This is essentially what happened to @Rehab1 during his injurious crash, although perhaps without the arm waving :whistling:

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

<video deleted>

For what it is worth, here is a zoom in of the wheel as it passes through the shadow. It looks very much to me like it comes off or nearly off the ground and the tire deforms as the weight comes back down. This seems like it would be a perfectly normal reason to crash - hitting an unexpected deformity in the pavement at high speed and losing control. 

Edited by winterwheel
on request

10 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

For what it is worth, here is a zoom in of the wheel as it passes through the shadow. It looks very much to me like it comes off or nearly off the ground and the tire deforms as the weight comes back down. This seems like it would be a perfectly normal reason to crash - hitting an unexpected deformity in the pavement at high speed and losing control. 

He requested the video be taken down.  He said the wheel cut out for a split second causing him to lose control and that he didn’t get the wobbles, but from looking at the footage he clearly did.  He thinks that he doesn’t get the wobbles because he has 3 years of experience.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

He requested the video be taken down.  He said the wheel cut out for a split second causing him to lose control and that he didn’t get the wobbles, but from looking at the footage he clearly did.  He thinks that he doesn’t get the wobbles because he has 3 years of experience.  

That's cool, we're all free to believe whatever we want. For me the video evidence helps me to know what really happened, thanks for having gotten on that so quickly. If you could delete the link from your post then that would be all the references to it.

Edited by winterwheel

Just now, Alien Rides said:

That's sad ? Both he and us could learn from it regardless of wheel or rider fault. Taking it down doesn't help anyone.

If I had just had a public, nasty crash, I imagine I wouldn't be too happy about people dissecting it online, at least in the first little while. It could be, with the passage of time, that he might change his mind. 

• Like 1

Just now, winterwheel said:

If I had just had a public, nasty crash, I imagine I wouldn't be too happy about people dissecting it online, at least in the first little while. It could be, with the passage of time, that he might change his mind. 

He shared it on FB with the EUC group.  It is a public link so people and download and analyze for themselves.  Just that not everyone has the tools to do so.  

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

He shared it on FB with the EUC group.  It is a public link so people and download and analyze for themselves.  Just that not everyone has the tools to do so.  

Having seen your video, and broken it down even further for myself to see exactly how the wobbles started, I am greatly relieved to know the real story, but sorry that the video evidence cannot be shared for others to see.

14 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Then why did he post it? 

He's just embarrassed now, tough imo. 

7 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

On a happier note, here is me checking out the ACM2 in the ice conditions this morning to be sure it is good to for tomorrow's commute. Studs are awesome, everyone absolutely should use them in the winter, but so far at least I have been able to get by without them. 

Awesome, haven't done much snow riding, but I can't imagine it'd be super pleasant. Good luck!

28 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

On a happier note, here is me checking out the ACM2 in the ice conditions this morning to be sure it is good to for tomorrow's commute. Studs are awesome, everyone absolutely should use them in the winter, but so far at least I have been able to get by without them.

Snow? Ice? Already? Depressing. Remind me in what part of the World you are located so I can avoid it forever. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Snow? Ice? Already? Depressing. Remind me in what part of the World you are located so I can avoid it forever. 

Actually this my second ice video this year, we had a freak bit of weather back in the middle of September.  Hopefully this second blast will all melt away in a few days also. These little pre-winter episodes are quite helpful for my cold weather prep so I don't mind too much. I was considering whether the ACM2 would be the right wheel  for the winter, and now I know that it is good to go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

So that means in a little under a year I won't get any more wobbles :clap3:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

Well, looking at his profile, he's located in Edmonton

• Like 1

3 hours ago, winterwheel said:

I love the ambiance of this video :cheers: The crunchy sounds, the silence, etc. Reminds me of my childhood in Chicago, in a good way. But I'm sure glad I don't live there any longer B)

Edited by Marty Backe

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I love the ambiance of this video :cheers: The crunch sounds, the silence, etc. Reminds me of my childhood in Chicago, in a good way. But I'm sure glad I don't live there any longer B)

I love where I live but there will definitely be times in February when I'll wish I was riding a wheel up to the top of a mountain in California.:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

another euc meetup in cophenhagen. no better way to spend your afternoon :D

what do you think of the video. point out the flaws so i can improve. all is filmed and edited by me

Looks nice, i like a lot that you keep clip/cuts short it makes it much more dynamic too look at. This is something I can't do as easy when riding solo and not using a view of the wheel. 

I were looking at going to Cph next weekend (Saturday) maybe visit Tivoli and their Halloween theme. This seems to be one of those tag boxed I have missed all summer. My Cph visit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Looks nice, i like a lot that you keep clip/cuts short it makes it much more dynamic too look at. This is something I can't do as easy when riding solo and not using a view of the wheel. 

I were looking at going to Cph next weekend (Saturday) maybe visit Tivoli and their Halloween theme. This seems to be one of those tag boxed I have missed all summer. My Cph visit.

on saturday i have a trip to helsingør with my freind from cophenhagen. maybe you could join. maybe i could get some more from the group to join in :D 

and thank you for the constructive feedback on the video :) 

Edited by Shad0z