THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

24 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Might not be a bad way to get some exercise value out of my wheel time. :) I actually wouldn't mind a heavier stick that I could carry for short distances or mount to something when taping stuff around the house.

If you want something that long it might be easier if you built it yourself. Getting a pipe that long to be rigid requires a lot of hard material. Everything flexes in one way or another. Buildings move in high wind, bridges move too. Streets settle as groundwater is removed and some cities are slowly sinking.

For a long rigid poll, I'd go with a square aluminium tube about 8 ft long. On one end, have a heavier square or round iron tube, for balance/counter weight. Afix a small connecter bolt on the end the camera attaches to. Wrap some padding where you hold the bar.  Hold the entire poll with about 1.5 ft sticking out past the bottom of your hand. It will be more stable from wind, but anything longer than that you may want to try different metals. Also, If you drill holes into that aluminium portion, the wind resistance will be smaller and will shake the camera less. But it may create a noise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Esper said:

If you want something that long it might be easier if you built it yourself. Getting a pipe that long to be rigid requires a lot of hard material. Everything flexes in one way or another. Buildings move in high wind, bridges move too. Streets settle as groundwater is removed and some cities are slowly sinking.

For a long rigid poll, I'd go with a square aluminium tube about 8 ft long. On one end, have a heavier square or round iron tube, for balance/counter weight. Afix a small connecter bolt on the end the camera attaches to. Wrap some padding where you hold the bar.  Hold the entire poll with about 1.5 ft sticking out past the bottom of your hand. It will be more stable from wind, but anything longer than that you may want to try different metals. Also, If you drill holes into that aluminium portion, the wind resistance will be smaller and will shake the camera less. But it may create a noise.

Good suggestions. I've made two long selfie-sticks from dowel rod, and they work good. You can buy mini Ball Heads to mount on the end.

It's amazing how much resistance even a thin pole offers when riding at 25-mph. It's enough to almost throw you off your wheel when holding it to the side.

8 minutes ago, Esper said:

This is awesome, thanks. I am planning to try and put something together but I wasn't at all sure where to start. My main concern is getting a GoPro mount onto the end of it; I'm thinking to desconstruct an existing pole and attaching the end of it to whatever pole I come up with. I'm thinking the pole would have to be round, or the magical pole-hiding algorithm in the stitcher might still see it; would that preclude aluminum?

Edited by winterwheel

On 10/2/2018 at 1:22 AM, Marty Backe said:

Come with me as I take the Gotway MCM5 for the exploration of a brand new mountain trail. This is what I do for fun :D

Just watched this and almost called WPS (Wheel Protective Services) about wheel abuse:efeebb3acc: Amazing what the MCM5 can do. Have you ever checked its cabling? A small and light(ish) wheel like this seems perfect for these narrow mountain ridge routes.

And a fantastic path itself, maybe not for riding, but nice route with nice views.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 2:51 AM, Gustesta said:

Gopro 7 Hyperlapse Hypersmooth Inmotion V10F Electric Unicycle ride!

Some pretty spectacular background mountains! :efeeec645d: Any riding opportunities there?

Nice impression of the neighborhood. I was semi-surprised that there are roundabouts in the U.S.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good suggestions. I've made two long selfie-sticks from dowel rod, and they work good. You can buy mini Ball Heads to mount on the end.

It's amazing how much resistance even a thin pole offers when riding at 25-mph. It's enough to almost throw you off your wheel when holding it to the side.

Oddly enough. The heavier poll will work easier than something lightweight. Try using a thicker rod with small holes going down most of it with a softball size counterweight on the end.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm guessing that it's essentially the same camera but with a form factor that allows you to throw it. Very cool, but not useful for riding videos.

Guess we'll find out in a few days.

eh, I bashed one of our insta360s into a stone wall and scratched a lens. I also had the tripod mount rip out of a Qoocam a few weeks ago. If the new one has replaceable lens covers, that would be huge for action sports. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Just watched this and almost called WPS (Wheel Protective Services) about wheel abuse:efeebb3acc: Amazing what the MCM5 can do. Have you ever checked its cabling? A small and light(ish) wheel like this seems perfect for these narrow mountain ridge routes.

And a fantastic path itself, maybe not for riding, but nice route with nice views.

I have not opened the MCM5 yet. I have total faith in Gotway B)

The MCM5 is the best wheel for riding technical trails. Amazingly agile with endless power.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

It's not ridgid that's for sure. Unavoidable unless you want your stick to weight 10-pounds  

Yeah, although never used one and likely will not start filming myself anytime soon either (not doing videos for upload) it's easy to imagine it will start getting silly quite fast by just adding weight? :lol:

But if there are true higher quality carbon fiber sticks available they should be able to make them quite rigid by using the right interlocking weaves, RCC graphite reinforced polymer, turbostratic, nanotubes and many kinds of sandwich constructions and composite materials. This field is growing still and some sick materials available today that are shockingly good as far as tensile strength goes but will not be cheap.

What is the cost for one that is truly high quality and genuine through and through, not mixing glass fibers calling it simply "carbon"?

Could be a fun project to by own weave, resin and a small autoclave, even place own counterweights inside. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, it acts like air brakes.  I'm always laughing when that happens.  You will find just a few positions where the wind doesn't act on the stick.  But transitioning posses a problem.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Beautiful! So your riding an EUC in a thunderstorm while recording with a high quality camera/gimbal combo?

Thanks, Rehab.

Yeah enjoying an evening ride before the storms rolled into my area. It was 87° F when I was out riding, dropped to 54 in an hour and a half...

Just had a sat on the ground next to my wheel, filming with my phone, nothing special. YET. I'd like to get a nice camera, but then again I've only got either black top, highway, or dirt/sand roads to ride so nothing too scenic.

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Surprised you only made ~30-miles. You guys must have been really pushing the wheels hard.

Well they are 1300wh wheels. There was some pretty big long hills and lots of wind involved. When we stopped I still had around 25-30%

Doofus that forgot to charge his wheel and started with 84% was running low.

Average speed was like 19mph ish

He expressed interest in wanting to try to complete the loop again. I think we will but probably not until it gets warmer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Yes, it acts like air brakes.  I'm always laughing when that happens.  You will find just a few positions where the wind doesn't act on the stick.  But transitioning posses a problem.

I haven't gone fast enough where wind resistance become an issue. but with a new wheel coming I might soon encounter that issue as well. I went and checked out the stick you recommended in your video like Marty had suggested; good find! I didn't realize they sell a stick that long!

On 10/5/2018 at 5:42 PM, dieterGRAMS said:

eh, I bashed one of our insta360s into a stone wall and scratched a lens. I also had the tripod mount rip out of a Qoocam a few weeks ago. If the new one has replaceable lens covers, that would be huge for action sports. 

In one of the thread I read while researching the 360 camera, some one suggested buying accident insurance while purchasing the camera. Since the lens are usually exposed and double sided it is hard to protect them and this sounds like a great idea so I went ahead and bought the square trade insurance when I bought my GoPro Fusion 360. haven't had to use it yet but it nice to have a backup since there's no way to fix a cracked lens.

On 10/5/2018 at 4:40 PM, Marty Backe said:

I'm guessing that it's essentially the same camera but with a form factor that allows you to throw it. Very cool, but not useful for riding videos.

Guess we'll find out in a few days.

I returned my insta360 and went with the GoPro Fusion 360 which had the higher resolution, but aside from the unwieldy software. Stepping up on the resolution also seem to added a lot to the processing time and storage requirements. Prob doesn't help that I render everything in 4k. Strangely enough I still use the insta360 software to do overcapture on the GoPro footage since it is a lot better at making transitions. But Ipad app is no longer an option, so I am  missing some of the tracking feature the app had.

4 hours ago, Hsiang said:

I haven't gone fast enough where wind resistance become an issue. but with a new wheel coming I might soon encounter that issue as well. I went and checked out the stick you recommended in your video like Marty had suggested; good find! I didn't realize they sell a stick that long!

Works great with insta360 because it is light, not sure how it will work with GoPro fusion.  2.9 oz vs 7.8 oz.  that is as heavy as the stick.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Works great with insta360 because it is light, not sure how it will work with GoPro fusion.  2.9 oz vs 7.8 oz.  that is as heavy as the stick.

The Insta360 is about as heavy as I'd want to go at the end of a 9-foot pole.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

That Insta360 doesn't handle flare in one lens too well.

Shame, as the lighting was beautiful and it would have looked great otherwise. For me it was too distracting (not enough for me to miss the unintended didn't though ?).

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 1