THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

42 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Chris is so busy checking out wheels he got his username pluralized to @houseofjobs!   I hope to someday become Hunkahunkaburningloves!  :thumbup:

Did you say burning gloves ??

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I prefer the kill switch in the MCM5 and V10F

Don't forget the Inmotion V8, the wheel that started the trend! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Just to correct something that @houseofjob was saying at the beginning, the MCM5 absolutely has a kill switch in the handle. It does not use weight sensing to shut off the motor. I don't think the Chinese worry too much about infringing on patents :lol: 

Also, as you observed with the wheel spinning when you picked it up, I don't think they are using weight sensing, but instead are sensing the resistance of the tire to the ground (which disappears when you pick the wheel up). Don't know for sure of course. Like you, I prefer the kill switch in the MCM5 and V10F, but it's good to know that it can be disabled.

Yes, this was before I had a chance to actually press it at our Z10 NYC demo. At that time, I only knew the early report info.

The MCM5 implementation was very interesting, not exactly the same style as the V10F button, in a good way.

All the InMotions have a spring-resisting plastic button press, which doesn't always engage when quickly snatching the wheel off the ground; you have to learn to pause for the blip, then you can pull off the ground.

Whereas the MCM5 implementation is like a sturdy metallic strip under the handle (which you already know, but for those who have not experienced yet) that can be clicked up to disengage the wheel, almost like pressing / clicking on a tin box that will dimple in, then dimple out when un-pressing.

Actually, out of all 3 handle motor disengage styles (Ninebot/King Song weight sensor (S2, Z, KS18L) / InMotion spring-resist plastic button (V5, V8, V10) / Gotway clicky-tin under-handle (MCM5)), I really like the Gotway MCM5 implementation the best.

It's:

• super fast with no need to delay for the disengage (I love fast transitions from riding to carrying & walking),
  • very sturdy (the InMotion disengage buttons are the worst to align the depressed springs in place when you've split the shell, then have to reassemble, ugh),
  • and less chance for failure IMHO with wires & such, like the worrisome weight sensor wiring method in at least the KS18L, where it's just wires at the end of trolley assembly's base support sticks in the body (TBF, I haven't seen the internals of how the Ninebot & Gotway wiring for this is implemented).

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

<snip>

Actually, out of all 3 handle motor disengage styles (Ninebot/King Song weight sensor (S2, Z, KS18L) / InMotion spring-resist plastic button (V5, V8, V10) / Gotway clicky-tin under-handle (MCM5)), I really like the Gotway MCM5 implementation the best.

<snip>

I agree with you. The MCM5 is my first wheel with a cutoff switch and I felt that it is much more natural then the V10F where you have to slightly 'hunt' for the button to use it.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, z3n said:

The V5 did! ;)

1 hour ago, Edddeus said:

Don't forget the Inmotion V8, the wheel that started the trend! ?

Good points. My only personal experience is with the V10 and MCM5. Hopefully this is a trend that will become baseline on all future wheels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Citi Wheel said:

Respectfully disagree. If you watch the video you see we yield to pedestrians, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Blowing through stop sign - https://youtu.be/gfBC5fEAQXo?t=1m49s

Blowing through another stop sign - https://youtu.be/gfBC5fEAQXo?t=1m58s

Blowing through a red light while a pedestrian is crossing a crosswalk - https://youtu.be/gfBC5fEAQXo?t=2m20s

Blowing through another red light - https://youtu.be/gfBC5fEAQXo?t=2m33s

Blowing through another red light, riding between cross pedestrians that have the right of way - https://youtu.be/gfBC5fEAQXo?t=5m34s

Doing it again - https://youtu.be/gfBC5fEAQXo?t=5m42s

Blowing through another red - https://youtu.be/gfBC5fEAQXo?t=6m6s

Riding past pedestrians who have the right of way again - https://youtu.be/gfBC5fEAQXo?t=8m1s

Doing it again, disregard another red too - https://youtu.be/gfBC5fEAQXo?t=8m50s

But hey, you have no idea what I'm talking about. I must be seeing things.

• Like 3

And where in that entire list of "evidence" you see one pedestrian being blocked? It seems to me they all just keep on walking at their normal pace and nobody has to move over or stop because they are "blowing through"?

Ever seen how pedestrians themselves behave at intersections?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don't forget about the lack of helmets!!!  :w00t2:  Where's the helmet police???  Wrr wrr wrr...

NYCers have hard heads.  They don't need helmets.  :whistling:  Except for @Citi Wheel.  He's a rebel.

But ya gotta give props to @Tishawn Fahie - the man's got swagger even on EUCs!  :efee6b18f3:

It'd be funny to shoot a video with these guys chasing the NYC crew down and issuing tickets for not wearing safety gear and breaking some driving rules.  :innocent1:

It would be neat to see a wheel reveal done at a go kart track or something like that.  I'd love to see people zoom around the curves on the 9botZ at high speed to see their turning technique.  Even with the Tesla, I like to lean into the curve a fair bit to keep the speed up while making the turn.  Slaloms are really fun.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

And where in that entire list of "evidence" you see one pedestrian being blocked? It seems to me they all just keep on walking at their normal pace and nobody has to move over or stop because they are "blowing through"? 

Please point out where I said pedestrians were being blocked. Blowing through, not yielding - whatever. Riding between pedestrians is not yielding.

But whatever man - red lights and stop signs are optional for New Yorkers.

16 minutes ago, nte said:

I was going to record my ride this morning but decided against it since recording a video means holding my phone in my hand.

I was traveling down a street with no traffic and I sensed a vehicle behind me. I check with my mirror mounted on my wrist guard and the vehicle is kinda far from me but its pace was strange. So I slow down as I come up on a stop sign and the truck that was behind me speeds up, gets next to me and slams on the brakes. The driver yelled "GET OUT OF THE FUCKING ROAD". 

Kinda bummed that I didn't capture the moment.

You guys got rednecks in your part of the woods too hey?  It's sad when people who shouldn't reproduce create offspring.  It just dilutes the gene pool.  :rolleyes:  There really should be like a procreation license or test or something that people need to pass.  Then again, sometimes it's nature versus nuture.  Difficult to win against the powers of stupidity.  It runs very strong in some people as the dominant gene.

11 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love did you see the price of those things in the video you posted?

?

Ah, I didn't look too closely?  $999?  Do people even still buy those?  Last I saw was the one guy from Mythbusters trying it out.  I still like the video.  It's funny.  Even still, the SBU design was clean and functional.  Maybe add on a splash fender in the back, swap in a Tesla motor, control board, and batteries... and it would be a barebones type of wheel with a seat.  :w00t2:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

it was a long time ago, but the most thrilling part of nyc(besides some big black guy trying to mug me)was the late night cab ride where my cabbie blew all the lights.

i got the feeling nyc was a combat zone where u were always on guard and rules were broken. get over it.

this pretty much summed up ur focus back then:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've never intimated that I don't get wobbles. However, I don't fall off the wheel when I get them :roflmao:

don’t worry, those must be “newbie” wobbles. they’ll go away after a few thousand miles.

i started a wobble topic because of the issues i was having with my s2. turns out it was the tire bead had gotten unseated a little, but nooo, all anybody had to say was “must be newbie wobbles” even though i never experienced wobbles and i was over a couple of hundred miles at the time.

so “experts” does Marty have newbie wobbles, or is it something else?

when my tire was screwed up, my wobbles weren’t as bad as urs, but i wasn’t going as fast. sure, i get little correction wobbles after an irregularity on my road, but not like ur new wheel. i would not like that. the difference is, my s2 would wobble on perfect pavement once i got to about 8mph.

• Like 1