THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

1 hour ago, Augus said:

Ride with several friends through the freshly flooded rice fields of the Albufera, in Valencia (Spain)

I really like the fact all ridning different wheels and the way you list this at the end.

Edited by Unventor

19 hours ago, maltocs said:

I talk about my upcoming Mt Wilson Observatory ride, motivated by a conversation with @maltocs

Damn that looks like a fantastic ride. Are you ascending a road or trail to the Mt Wilson Observatory? Looking at Google’s aerial I was trying to figure out where you’ll begin. It looks like there are a number of homes along the way if you happen to get into trouble. Best wishes! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anton Prinsloo said:

Man that thing is a beast! Awesome!!!

man i wish i weighed 50 kg instead of 92... :I

well now i have a descent motivation to loose some weight! :roflmao:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i’d guess 70 kgs.

im planning to set my goals high and loose some serious weight. that makes it easier to motivate yourself to actually do it.

70kgs seems low. if i were to loose about 20 kgs of fat that would be around 25 percent of my body weight ? guess what is also around 20-25 percent of my body weight.. fat

so i would turn into a skeleton :blink: so im thinking about 80 but to be honest i dont know 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shad0z said:

im planning to set my goals high and loose some serious weight. that makes it easier to motivate yourself to actually do it.

70kgs seems low. if i were to loose about 20 kgs of fat that would be around 25 percent of my body weight ? guess what is also around 20-25 percent of my body weight.. fat

so i would turn into a skeleton :blink: so im thinking about 80 but to be honest i dont know 

i’m guessing that guy’s weight, not making a healthy weight suggestion. i think some of these electronic scales that shoot an electric current through the soles of ur feet do a pretty accurate job of measuring ur percentage of fat. 

fat is not necessarily a bad thing when ur working around cows, or riding an wheel. i think it acts as a cusion. my muscles are bigger now and i probably have a higher fat content too, but if i weighed today, i’d probably be 210 pounds at 6’0” tall. i don’t feel fat. i feel like this is where i need to be to screw with the cows. jumping on the head of a 600 pound yearling bull u want a little extra mass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Damn that looks like a fantastic ride. Are you ascending a road or trail to the Mt Wilson Observatory? Looking at Google’s aerial I was trying to figure out where you’ll begin. It looks like there are a number of homes along the way if you happen to get into trouble. Best wishes! 

This is where the trail begins: https://goo.gl/maps/KjzgKhLGCTx

The 'road' was built in 1891. I believe there's no pavement except at the very beginning. Beyond that, it's a mystery which makes it that much more exciting to explore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

Depends on how overweight you are. I'm not overweight and (according to my fancy scale) my body fat percentage is 16%, weighing 69kg.

If I was overweight at a point of having to lose 25% of my body weight to be ok again I should weigh 92kg.  92 - 69 = 23kg. Lets presume its all fat.

if at 69kg I have 16% fat = 11kg of fat.

at 92 I should have 11kg + 23kg = 34kg of fat = 31% of my weight.

So my conclusion is that either you underestimate your body fat %, or you overestimate how much weight you can lose and be healthy. If you have 25% fat and are 92kg, it will be very hard to go lower than 15% fat = losing approx. 10kg or going to 82kg, unless you really commit and change drastically your food habits and do lots (and I mean LOTS) of cardio. 

I work out 3 times a week (approx 1000Kcal per workout) and I'm not going under that 16%. Sometimes I am at 15%, but never less. Of course it also depends on your age. If you are < 25 it will be easier to achieve lower fat percentages (and a visual six pack once you get into single digit fat % territory) than when you are > 35.

Talk about going off topic ?

Edited by ir_fuel
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

17% climb means going for a few (like 3 or 5) minutes, then waiting for at least the same time for the wheel to cool down. Even 10% is probably above what you can do consistently without overheating (or worse in the 17% case).

So my guess is, if these percentages are real, the trip won't be too long (distance wise - the time to carry a broken wheel back down from where it failed might very well be long:efeebb3acc:).

Marty, wear your protection and maybe carry the mten3 in a backpack so you can get down in reasonable time again:efee8319ab: Really looking forward to see how this turns out! Just film everything so anything that happens can at least entertain us:efeebb3acc:

THIS is real EUC testing, respect! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My 17% statement is not based on anything other than Marty saying it looked like that for a "looonnng" time. I can't imagine the climb is more than 10% most places. That's still a killer because of the 10 mile length.

@Marty Backe I noticed you amongst others use a Sony action cam. Is there a particular reason behind choosing just that videocam compared e.g.. GoPro or another brand? I am comparing your videocam to the GoPro Hero 6. I know yours have optical IS and the GoPro only have electronic IS.

Next thing/question how hard is it to learn to drive with a selfystick or gimbal compared to just normal riding when you are still learning or rookie-ish still?

Now I do ride a few miles but I am not 100% stable all the time. I do ride now dayly to work and back 1.8Km + a speedrun after work of 2-3miles extra.

I did test my Inmotion V8 max speed of 30Km/h yesterday. No issues. However on gravelpathways I ride slowly as I have a hard time in the gravel.

Anyone that can pitch in with input please feel free ? I know a fair bit of tech behind recordings and editing, it is just actioncam is a new field to me. Just like the EUC was a few months ago. 

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

This is where the trail begins: https://goo.gl/maps/KjzgKhLGCTx

The 'road' was built in 1891. I believe there's no pavement except at the very beginning. Beyond that, it's a mystery which makes it that much more exciting to explore.

Should be exciting! The road does have one nice amenity along the way. 

28264775498_eaec5892f9_b.jpg

This trail looks like a fun challenge. Check out 9.00.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Depends on how overweight you are. I'm not overweight and (according to my fancy scale) my body fat percentage is 16%, weighing 69kg.

If I was overweight at a point of having to lose 25% of my body weight to be ok again I should weigh 92kg.  92 - 69 = 23kg. Lets presume its all fat.

So my conclusion is that either you underestimate your body fat %, or you overestimate how much weight you can lose and be healthy. If you have 25% fat and are 92kg, it will be very hard to go lower than 15% fat = losing approx. 10kg or going to 82kg, unless you really commit and change drastically your food habits and do lots (and I mean LOTS) of cardio. 

I work out 3 times a week (approx 1000Kcal per workout) and I'm not going under that 16%. Sometimes I am at 15%, but never less. Of course it also depends on your age. If you are < 25 it will be easier to achieve lower fat percentages (and a visual six pack once you get into single digit fat % territory) than when you are > 35.

Understanding lipid metabolism (not mixing refined carbs + refined fats) and doing an anaerobic exercise like sprint-8 (16 minutes every other day) is the most efficient way to lose weight. 

1 minute ago, wheelr said:

Understanding lipid metabolism (not mixing refined carbs + refined fats) and doing an anaerobic exercise like sprint-8 (16 minutes every other day) is the most efficient way to lose weight. 

Now we are really getting off topic :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Should be exciting! The road does have one nice amenity along the way. 

This trail looks like a fun challenge. Check out 9.00.

Here's a view of the beginning of the trail, as I saw it last Sunday. Apparently the grade is very consistent for ~10-miles. The angle of the road is actually ~5-degrees at this point.

Mt Wilson Toll Road

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

@Marty Backe I noticed you amongst others use a Sony action cam. Is there a particular reason behind choosing just that videocam compared e.g.. GoPro or another brand? I am comparing your videocam to the GoPro Hero 6. I know yours have optical IS and the GoPro only have electronic IS.

Next thing/question how hard is it to learn to drive with a selfystick or gimbal compared to just normal riding when you are still learning or rookie-ish still?

Now I do ride a few miles but I am not 100% stable all the time. I do ride now dayly to work and back 1.8Km + a speedrun after work of 2-3miles extra.

I did test my Inmotion V8 max speed of 30Km/h yesterday. No issues. However on gravelpathways I ride slowly as I have a hard time in the gravel.

Anyone that can pitch in with input please feel free ? I know a fair bit of tech behind recordings and editing, it is just actioncam is a new field to me. Just like the EUC was a few months ago. 

Optical image stabilization will always be better than digital, and I can see the difference when I look at GoPro footage.

The Sony captures much higher quality 4k video than GoPro. It does this because it compresses the video much less. The Sony X3000 captures 4k video at 100mbps vs the 60mpbs of the GoPro 6. That's a huge difference.

Regarding the selfie- stick, that's just a matter of practice. Best if you can hold the stick loosely so that the transmission of vibrations from the wheel to the camera are minimized.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

Riding with a selfie stick isn't that hard actually. To some extent it provides just the right amount of distraction to make you stop "thinking" about riding, and just do it. ;) 

I have a GoPro without stabilisation, and that is almost stable enough for most uses, as long as you accept lower final resolution. If I record in 1080p and then let my editor stabilise the video to 720p I get pretty good results. If I wanted 4K, I would go with the Sony that @Marty Backe uses, optical image stabilisation is sooooo much better than digital.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Riding with a selfie stick isn't that hard actually. To some extent it provides just the right amount of distraction to make you stop "thinking" about riding, and just do it. ;) 

I have a GoPro without stabilisation, and that is almost stable enough for most uses, as long as you accept lower final resolution. If I record in 1080p and then let my editor stabilise the video to 720p I get pretty good results. If I wanted 4K, I would go with the Sony that @Marty Backe uses, optical image stabilisation is sooooo much better than digital.

You can do the poor man's route that I took. The Yi 4k+ has electronically imaged stabilized 4k at 120Mbps, but the EIS is not nearly as good as the Optical image stabilization. Only about $300 when it's not on sale. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

my estimations are pretty random. and a big part of what makes me "heavier" is wide shoulders and all that. but i still have a little bit of weight to loose on my legs and stomach.

we are REALLY of topic now. image stabilization health carbs proteins what else lol :D lets remember what forum were on 

Edited by Shad0z
  • Like 1