THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

31 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

MoooOOoore videos HOJ!!!  It would be nice to test the GT16 on some sort of treadmill to test the upper limits.  I remember seeing a video where someone tethered their wheel to the arms of a treadmill and rode it until it failed.  Might be a bit dangerous with 40kph+ speeds though...  Maybe that Russian fellow with the custom dyno rig will eventually do a video...    

My impressions of the GT16 were that it was fast enough for me at ~35km/h. At that speed it felt very fast and was starting to feel uncomfortable in terms of stability. That's where the ACM beats it. The ACM is a much heavier wheel so at higher speeds it feels more 'planted' to the ground. My ACM V2s can go 40km/h before that same sensation is reached.

So I don't care what the real top end speed is for the GT16 since I'll never try and push it that far.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

But @KingSong69 says that he now hears that sound in his upgraded KS18. So maybe it's not a bad thing. Who knows at this point.

Same Here, the different noise came after the KS18 update v.1.23 which improved stability.

I am also still waiting for the delivery of my girlfriends Rockwheel GT16 and will share my experience with you as soon as I can...

2 minutes ago, Juggler said:

Wow, that's insane!! riding on snow!! Did you have studs in the tyre?

his machine is customized. he even has special firmware from GOTWAY that lets his wheel tilt to 70 deg before shutting down. He got bigger wires, bigger special batteries, pedal hub shaft is thicker than normal. Pedals raised. and studded tires.

6 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

his machine is customized. he even has special firmware from GOTWAY that lets his wheel tilt to 70 deg before shutting down. He got bigger wires, bigger special batteries, pedal hub shaft is thicker than normal. Pedals raised. and studded tires.

Ahh, that explains a lot!!

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

My impressions of the GT16 were that it was fast enough for me at ~35km/h. At that speed it felt very fast and was starting to feel uncomfortable in terms of stability. That's where the ACM beats it. The ACM is a much heavier wheel so at higher speeds it feels more 'planted' to the ground. My ACM V2s can go 40km/h before that same sensation is reached.

So I don't care what the real top end speed is for the GT16 since I'll never try and push it that far.

Yes, I concur with this sentiment, approaching 40km/h (haven't gone above) does start to feel sketchy, probably due to the smaller case sizing, but especially due to the smaller and thinner 16" wheel.

2 minutes ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

New theee months. MCM4. Like it a lot. But itching for a 16 or 18 so I can ride and not have to slow down on every crack on the road. 

For me I think a wheel that has safe 40kph  with 16 or 18 inch wheel is perfect. 

With that criteria you have exactly two choices: ACM or MSuper V3. Yet I know you're not keen on getting another Gotway. So you're kind of stuck for awhile :(

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

With that criteria you have exactly two choices: ACM or MSuper V3. Yet I know you're not keen on getting another Gotway. So you're kind of stuck for awhile :(

I hear you. When I was researching I almost did the ACM but did not wanted to spend that much on my first love. 

When i am ready I will look at all the brands again. The MCM4 would be more comfortable if they put a 2.5 inch instead of the 2.125. I almost think it would fit. I might do that a a project. Possibly 3D print a spacer between the two half shells if there is no room. 

Edited by Carlos E Rodriguez

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Why not Kingsong?

KS16S is basically  as fast as ACM, just battery might be too small.

KS18A(Y) is probably a bit better at 40 km/h [more stable] than msuper V3, and the upcoming KS18S (soon-ish) will allow you to go 50 km/h in KS-designed safety (not just like "well, the motor goes that fast" like GW)! KS18 comes with up to 1680Wh.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The power button is under the handle and below the surface of the soft top plastic. So it's fully water proof. It's location is a good thing because like many other early wheels, it turns on and off instantly at the press of the button. So you wouldn't want to accidentally bump the switch while you were riding. Most other wheels require you to press and hold for a second or two before they turn on or off.

There's one oddity that @captainwells first observed and you may be able to hear it in the video. The wheel emits the typical whine that you expect from these powerful wheels, and my impression is that it's a lower pitched whine compared to the Gotway. But, in addition to the whine there is a very noticeable crackling sound. The best analogy that we can come up with is the cracking sound that you hear from high tension power lines. We joked that we hoped that there weren't a bunch of sparks going on inside the wheel :cry2:

6 hours ago, houseofjob said:

They've been improving the GT16 as they go. My GT16 was from the same dealer, Rockwheel AliExpress store, with just about 3 weeks difference. They should be the same batch before the order stop happened early in March.

My power on is about 4 full seconds, power lights on first, then beep, then the wheel balances. My power off is a hair under 2 seconds. Both long press, not momentary.

I have no crackling sound with power on or off; I thought you were saying this happened during riding.

@Marty Backe's recollection of the power button behavior was incorrect.  It works as you describe.

5 hours ago, SuperSport said:

And hopefully not arcing between the motor wires.  That would eventually take a toll, and cause a major failure in the future.

5 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

crackling is BAD.  I hope is just sand pebbles getting picked up by the rubber wheel and flying off in the upper wheel weal. High pitch is just fine. Crackling could be Back-EMF of the motor arcing. if you go at the same speed, does it do it periodically? Maybe is a bad coil with broken wires.  Maybe I should not comment anymore. I just dont think any crackling of any kind is normal.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, some sort of arcing in the motor.  It only does it at certain points in the rotation of the wheel/motor.  Move the wheel a centimeter or two in either direction and the sound stops.  Here's a video that demonstrates.

So, question for those that know more about electric motors than me:  would you ride this one?

Edited by captainwells
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, captainwells said:

Yeah, some sort of arcing in the motor.  It only does it at certain points in the rotation of the wheel/motor.  Move the wheel a centimeter or two in either direction and the sound stops.  Here's a video that demonstrates.

Ah, that sound.

Yeah, mine does that too, not an issue, just almost like the wheel is tuned to be super sensitive (it is, after all, spec'd at 2000W nominal, supposedly), so that any slight pressure in either direction results in the wheel wanting to move.

For my GT16, If I rest the wheel perfectly balanced, no "growling" sound.

I've observed the same thing with certain, higher torque-tuned firmware'd board revisions on my KS-18A when I was changing out boards due to bluetooth issues.

• Upvote 2

My 84V ACM makes a comparable sound (a bit like grinding sand), but less notable, when idle and only when the front light is on, so it may not be the motor (or the sound only happens in conjunction with some change from the light being used). Are you 100% sure it's the motor? Can you locate the sound in the motor, is it "everywhere" or localized? Is it just a general "electric arc" sound?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, captainwells said:

@Marty Backe's recollection of the power button behavior was incorrect.  It works as you describe.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, some sort of arcing in the motor.  It only does it at certain points in the rotation of the wheel/motor.  Move the wheel a centimeter or two in either direction and the sound stops.  Here's a video that demonstrates.

So, question for those that know more about electric motors than me:  would you ride this one?

Perfect video for demonstrating the symptoms. Hopefully some of the motor nerds ;) out there will have some valuable insight. And is this what you hear @KingSong69?

Sorry about the power button. I'd swear it turned off instantly when I touched it.

• Upvote 1

@captainwells interesting, your tire tread is different from mine. Mine was fitted with a CST e-bike Pro tire that is treaded more regular (not as wide and smooth a middle) like an off-road tire, ala the CST that came with my Monster. I guess they slap on any old tire they find *smh

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

My 84V ACM makes a comparable sound (a bit like grinding sand), but less notable, when idle and only when the front light is on, so it may not be the motor (or the sound only happens in conjunction with some change from the light being used). Are you 100% sure it's the motor? Can you locate the sound in the motor, is it "everywhere" or localized? Is it just a general "electric arc" sound?

This is fascinating. So I just went to my 84v ACM and turned it. Nothing but the whine. However, I pressed my ears against the case and sure enough, I can hear the same crackling sound as the wheel is slowly advanced like @captainwells did, but it's much softer than the the GT16. And when I turn on the light it gets noticeably louder. @captainwells, try it and hopefully you hear the same thing.

I think that puts this 'issue' to bed.  :thumbup:

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Ah, that sound.

Yeah, mine does that too, not an issue, just almost like the wheel is tuned to be super sensitive (it is, after all, spec'd at 2000W nominal, supposedly), so that any slight pressure in either direction results in the wheel wanting to move.

Whew, that's reassuring! I really feel like a beta tester on this one.  I think you might be the only other owner on this forum.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

@captainwells interesting, your tire tread is different from mine. Mine was fitted with a CST e-bike Pro tire that is treaded more regular (not as wide and smooth a middle) like an off-road tire, ala the CST that came with my Monster. I guess they slap on any old tire they find *smh

Yeah, I noticed in your video that you had a better (for me) tire than @captainwells

18 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Why not Kingsong?

KS16S is basically  as fast as ACM, just battery might be too small.

KS18A(Y) is probably a bit better at 40 km/h [more stable] than msuper V3, and the upcoming KS18S (soon-ish) will allow you to go 50 km/h in KS-designed safety (not just like "well, the motor goes that fast" like GW)! KS18 comes with up to 1680Wh.

There's no way that the KS16S is as fast as the ACM, particularly the 84v version. I'd bet my paycheck on that one.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, captainwells said:

Whew, that's reassuring! I really feel like a beta tester on this one.  I think you might be the only other owner on this forum.

Ha! nice to compare notes finally ;)

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I noticed in your video that you had a better (for me) tire than @captainwells

To each his own. I actually prefer the semi-slick style on @captainwells, more diverse for city streets, but understandable you prefer the knobby, off-road, being you are a avid trail-runner/hill climber. Actually, at some point, I'm meaning to swap out my CST with a spare 16" Chao Yang Tire I have, my fav (also semi-slick).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, captainwells said:

I really feel like a beta tester on this one.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:You are. We are all beta testers, aren't we? At the very least, the Gotway and Rockwheel customers are. Not sure about other manufacturers, Inmotion and KS seems to have advanced.

@Marty Backe Per spec, the 16S goes to 35 km/h right? Which is the same as the second alarm on ACM 84V. Do you go significantly faster with your ACM? (not sure how fast 16S will let you go if you disable every alarm you can)

Edited by meepmeepmayer