New KS 16 - 680 Wh - noisy

MBIKER_SURFER

Hallo,

I'm a new rider from Germany. I've done about 650 km last month with a inmotion V5F. Great wheel - no problems - despite the mileage. Just about 25 km max. per ride. Always an eye on the battery status.

Now I got my  brand new KS 16 with 680 Wh, which will be good for roughly 50 km in distance.

But it has an annoying high frequency noise. How a wheel sounds - I know from the inmotion.

My dealer says: normal.

Next problem is, that the pedal goes down in small curves. Not all the time - but often. I never experienced this problem with the inmotion.

The disturbing noise is on video - but I don't knwo, how to bring it down to the max 3MB so you can hear it.

Any suggestions. 

Regards

Welcome @MBIKER_SURFER !

Don't worry, I listened to it, that's absolutely normal with the KS16B. Advantage is: pedestrians think, starship Enterprise approaches from behind, and step aside. ?

But make sure that you have  at least firmware 1.23 (I hope I remember correctly, I sold mine last autumn).

And calibrate the wheel approximately 3 degrees backwards (using a tubular level or a smartphone app like "bubble"). This in combination with the firmware helps with the pedals going down, and use it only in expert mode.

It depends on how fast you ride and if your terrain is hilly or flat, but I only reached 40 to 45 km maximum with the KS16B (680 Wh).

My KS16S makes that very high pitched whine, also.  I hear it only when riding close to a solid surface, where the noise echoes back.  Otherwise, I do not hear it.  Sort of like how a motorcyclist does not hear the full noise of a motorcycle.

Just got my new KS16S today, and yup --- initially I thought some sort of high pitched sound was coming from somewhere in the neighborhood, but as I continued to ride and the sound continued --- rats.   Someone my age should by rights have lost enough upper range hearing that this wouldn't be an issue, but I find that noise pretty irritating.   My other EUCs don't do that.   I've got it on in my office now, in vain so far trying to connect the KS app via bluetooth, and even stationary there's a high pitched sound that I could happily do without.

Hallo,

I ride today my Inmotion V5F - what a real relief. Quiet - that's it.

Despite that, I sent back my KS 16B for repair. It still does pedal tilt approx 20° to 30° to the front as soon, as I try to do a circle or half circle. I tried this also with great diameter of aprrox 40 m - exactly the same. You think, you'll do a faceplant soon - only annoying. Quality control seems to be missed on my KS 16 B. Totally disappointed about quality.

Regards from Germany

In my experience a lot of new wheels will greatly benefit from a proper calibration. Most common issue being a forward or backward tilt while cornering.

Do make sure that the wheel is centered precisely in the left-right axis while you calibrate, and the issue should be gone.

On 5/10/2018 at 7:47 PM, MBIKER_SURFER said:

Hallo,

I'm a new rider from Germany. I've done about 650 km last month with a inmotion V5F. Great wheel - no problems - despite the mileage. Just about 25 km max. per ride. Always an eye on the battery status.

Now I got my  brand new KS 16 with 680 Wh, which will be good for roughly 50 km in distance.

But it has an annoying high frequency noise. How a wheel sounds - I know from the inmotion.

My dealer says: normal.

Hi,

I just bought a KS14D and have the same annoying whistle. My old Ninebot was silent. It;s supposed to be about 6khz so even being old doesn't help LOL

On 5/13/2018 at 4:20 AM, brianle said:

Just got my new KS16S today, and yup --- initially I thought some sort of high pitched sound was coming from somewhere in the neighborhood, but as I continued to ride and the sound continued --- rats.   Someone my age should by rights have lost enough upper range hearing that this wouldn't be an issue, but I find that noise pretty irritating.   My other EUCs don't do that.   I've got it on in my office now, in vain so far trying to connect the KS app via bluetooth, and even stationary there's a high pitched sound that I could happily do without.

I agree with you. The whistling noise is very annoying and I'm 65 !!

My Ninebot was silent

I was disappointed with the noise at first too as I’m a bit sensitive to noise in general, so I ended up covering the inside of the tire cavity with a noise blocker goo made for car audio. At first I thought it didn’t help that much, but now comparing to my brother’s brand new 16S the difference is definitely noticeable.

A hood for the entire wheel made from a few layers of thick fabric would help too, perhaps even more than the goo. None of these removes the noise, but atleast for me it was easier to get to the state that others are talking about: getting used to it.

Archived