Things to know before opening a EUC motor ?

Gluton

Hello everyone,
After 2500 km with my S2 and a flat tire, I decided to do some work on my S2 like deep cleaning, new paint, try to remove all the damm anti poncture traces and grease the bearings.
I would like to know if there's specials things to know before opening the motor. 
32202942_10156160147105519_4739667359424315392_n.thumb.jpg.372a4fcf7e801672eb4565d3def4f79d.jpg

The wheel is IP54 so I'm wondering if there's spi joints to change or anythings special to know before opening it ☺️

Thanks

56 minutes ago, Gluton said:

Hello everyone,
After 2500 km with my S2 and a flat tire, I decided to do some work on my S2 like deep cleaning, new paint, try to remove all the damm anti poncture traces and grease the bearings.
I would like to know if there's specials things to know before opening the motor. 
The wheel is IP54 so I'm wondering if there's spi joints to change or anythings special to know before opening it ☺️

Ip54 is pretty much no protection at all, just “not much dust will get in and you can splash water on it OK.”

To be honest, unless you have a very good reason to take the motor apart (I.e. the bearings are clearly failing) the best advice I can give is leave it alone.

I doubt you can grease the bearings, it isn’t a 1950’s car so they should be sealed for life, but the biggest problem you may have is clearance between the stator and rotor will be very small and there is likely to be sufficient play in those bolts around the circumference of the, I suppose you could call it a shell or hub cap (the black bit with “Ninebot one” written on it), coupled with VERY powerful magnets that you may have some real difficulty reassembling it with out rubbing. If you do take it apart I would recommend only removing the shell on one side at a time so there is a chance the other side will preserve the clearance. You might find the bolts are locktited in (they certainly should be when you refit them) so you might find you need to heat the bolts to get them out (soldering iron down the Hex socket works well). You should find that the bearings are in the shells.

Yea, I would not open it without good reason. What are you going to do once it's open? Nothing much. But you may damage the brittle hall sensor wires or something if you open it, and maybe it's hard to close again exactly. So I would keep it closed and just clean it.

Hello Keith and meepmeepmayer and thanks for your anwser.

I'm not sure my english is really good to explain my issue but I'll try to do my best.

I have an issue and I should had told it before like on the top of the topic. I apologize.

First of all, since I bought my EUC, there's a position of the wheel that when I turn it on, the wheel vibrate abnormally when I ride it.
In this situation, I notice that turning off my wheel, rotate the wheel of a few cm and turn it back on fix the issue until I turn it on again on this position. Not a big deal.

But few months ago, I started to realize that my EUC had a strange behavior :
When I leaned forward a little too much, the tilt back wasn't smooth as it was back in the time : It was giving little hits. 

Beside of that, I do a kind of bump jump with 5 cm high objects : you lead over it and you jump as soon as you feel that the wheel is going to hit it. It makes you bounce high and I love the feeling.
Recently after making a big bump jump, the wheel made a strange electronic noise for a few seconds then became silent again. I went back on it and the driving was again fluid as in the first days: no more strange reaction when I lean forward too much.
On the other hand, since, it start vibrate abnormally around 20 km/h and trying the fix by turning the wheel of few cm and turning on again doesn't do anything.

Something telling me that my issue isn't coming from the bearings but is more something liked with stator/rotor.
The vibration feeling is exactly the same as the issue I had when I start my wheel in a wrong position.

Maybe there is something wrong inside the motor. Maybe a loose magnet?

I would check the tire rim first, I had a bent tire rim recently and it produced regular bumps. Even a very small deformation or irregularity can be felt. So check for deformations and tiny cracks maybe first, before you open the motor. It's also hard to imagine how the inside of the motor could get damaged but nothing on the outside can be seen.

Is the frequency of the bumps/vibration dependent on speed? Does it get higher when going faster?

Also, since you are in France, are you aware of the French counterpart to this forum? https://www.espritroue.fr/ Lots of knowledgable people there, too, and they speak French. You can ask there, too, double the chance to find someone who had such a problem and knows an answer.

Hi everyone
Well, I just put everything back in place and the wheel is acting perfectly. I'm not sure to understand why ?.

My rim have a little bump on it but never product vibration I was able to feel.

The vibration was depending on speed yes and get higher when going faster.

Thanks for the link of the forum, I'll try to ask if some people experience my issue.

And thanks to everyone :)

Archived