Jump to content

Pedal-Triggered Sound Effects (VrooomVrooom, Skiiiidddd)


Esash
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is there a wheel out there that has customizable noises based on pedal throttle and braking?

We know that electric cars play artificial noises so that the EV doesn't creep up on people in silence, for safety reasons.

I hope to some day be able to ride an EUC that sounds like a Harley or a sports bike, for "safety reasons"

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This suggestion is the work of a madman! ?

Let’s let EUC be its own thing. It needs space to grow in culture, and as the early adopter community we should do our best to help people not make a metaphorical jump between existing technology through comparisons with the visceral effects of Harleys and other mid-life crisis machines, especially if these effects are ‘faux’, haha! I can hear em now...

‘Poor man’s Harley’

‘He don’t have the balls for a real bike so he got one of them hoverboards’ 

...NO!

The fact that it’s so quiet, smooth and completely powered by electricity (best served from from renewable sources) is one of the most beautiful qualities of the tech IMO. Look at me silently and nimbly whizzing through this gridlocked, choking city on pure solar energy. What a dream. ?

Technically, I agree on sounds to make people aware of it but I’m sure the sounds linked to acceleration and deceleration could get annoying very quickly. I’m always leaning in or pulling back to deal with changing road conditions including surface and unpredictable pedestrians, cyclists and traffic. I even feel dorky using my electric bike horn! Def give one of those a try if you need to alert phone zombies tho.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roo Williams said:

This suggestion is the work of a madman! ?

Let’s let EUC be its own thing. It needs space to grow in culture, and as the early adopter community we should do our best to help people not make a metaphorical jump between existing technology through comparisons with the visceral effects of Harleys and other mid-life crisis machines, especially if these effects are ‘faux’, haha! I can hear em now...

‘Poor man’s Harley’

‘He don’t have the balls for a real bike so he got one of them hoverboards’ 

...NO!

The fact that it’s so quiet, smooth and completely powered by electricity (best served from from renewable sources) is one of the most beautiful qualities of the tech IMO. Look at me silently and nimbly whizzing through this gridlocked, choking city on pure solar energy. What a dream. ?

Technically, I agree on sounds to make people aware of it but I’m sure the sounds linked to acceleration and deceleration could get annoying very quickly. I’m always leaning in or pulling back to deal with changing road conditions including surface and unpredictable pedestrians, cyclists and traffic. I even feel dorky using my electric bike horn! Def give one of those a try if you need to alert phone zombies tho.

Don't act like pedal-driven sounds are any more gimmicky than customizable side light patterns.

The sounds wouldn't need to limited to sounding like a Harley, you'd be able to customize the sounds however you want. Just like people probably stop customizing their side light blinking patterns after a week or less, people would probably stop playing with this audio system quickly, but if it was done subtly with a really sweet sound it could actually be a lot of fun long-term, especially since you could turn the volume way down so it was not intrusive, and really authentic sounding.

Wouldn't even need to sound like an internal combustion engine, just make it sound like a quiet futuristic motor packing some serious power and technology, like some Batman technology.

Let's face it, engine noises are a huge reason for why car junkies and motorcycle junkies love those toys, and this is a big opportunity being missed out on by these EUC companies. It's not like they don't already have the speakers, and the apps, and the bluetooth tech to make this happen quite easily.

One of the big companies will unveil this feature within the next 2-3 years, watch. 

And I bet Tesla the car company has already spent money on audio development to make their new high powered electric cars sound a little more muscular.

As EUCs become more and more powerful and high performance, it only makes sense to give customers the option of making them sound like something more than a pair of hair clippers.

A small library of sound effects like this, available in our EUC app would be awesome

 

Only downside would be the temptation to drive like a maniac at all times ?

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Scouts Honor
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There's one pioneer waaaay ahead of the pack. 

 

Now I remember I actually watched that Marty video a few months ago, yes Marty was ahead of his time.

As far as pedal-driven sound effects, I just realized that DarknessBot or WheelLog or some other app could make a brand-independent feature that simply analyzes the EUC speed (and perhaps rate of acceleration) and customizes "motor" noises to the EUC's bluetooth speakers.

I realize that braking sounds every time you lean back would be very corny. You can't hear brakes on a motorcycle or car, of course, unless it's an extreme braking and the wheels skid. 

An app could have an optional skid sound for extreme braking situations where the speedometer drops dramatically.

But otherwise the only sounds could be motor sounds and idle motor sounds, with a smooth transition between revving and idle states.

 

 

 

Edited by Scouts Honor
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This would be a cool sound effect to be able to activate through a smart watch when somebody's not looking and needs to be alerted, lol

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

Don't act like pedal-driven sounds are any more gimmicky than customizable side light patterns.

Wouldn't even need to sound like an internal combustion engine, just make it sound like a quiet futuristic motor packing some serious power and technology, like some Batman technology.

Let's face it, engine noises are a huge reason for why car junkies and motorcycle junkies love those toys, and this is a big opportunity being missed out on by these EUC companies. It's not like they don't already have the speakers, and the apps, and the bluetooth tech to make this happen quite easily.

One of the big companies will unveil this feature within the next 2-3 years, watch.

I feel a lot of the aesthetic across the industry is questionable. The EUC industry seems to be a result of a technology driven design process, so rather than being a product of design thinking/user centered design, which starts with the user and what job they want the product to do, it is the product of ‘we have this technology, what can we do with it? We could do this, then add these lights, then add these speakers, then add this USB port, then add X...’ you can find countless examples of products designed and made in the East that encapsulate this approach to product development.

I’m hoping through product iteration and Western feedback the flashy LEDs will be reduced to communications only, signals, visibility, nothing superfluous. If I want to be flashy for a laugh on a group ride I’ll wear a full body LED harness or dress up in a chicken suit or something. As Dieter Rams said, good design is as little design as possible. Less is more.

I don’t think EUCs are made for car junkies. Sure they’re fascinating things that anyone can look at and find magical, including car junkies, but for me, EUCs are an awesome way to get around packed into a small, discrete footprint. Why the need for some outward display of raw power? Especially if you know it’s not actually the result of raw power but merely a synthesis. It’s like wearing a t-shirt with fake abs in it. You know they’re fake, and it’s all geared towards trying to shift perception of yourself within society. Its actually just a manifestation of insecurity, which is pretty heartbreaking for anyone with an ounce of empathy!

Culturally, in the Western world we’re living in a time where waste and conspicuous consumption is not cool any more. Luxury is no longer about gaudy displays of outward wealth, but access and experience. Attention is not about screaming, but just doing your thing and not worrying about what the other guys are doing. As a society we’ve been loud and obnoxious and taken more than we’ve given for years. It’s time to be lean and conscious about what we consume, and what we put out into the world, through all channels. EUCs with their size and quietness fit this space nicely.

And let’s face it, EUCs are pretty powerful, but not that powerful! ?

Maybe a brand will decide to go in that direction and make EUCs with the visual language of a hotrod. Stick an faux engine block on the side while they’re at it. Put some superhero decals on there! Maybe they’ll find an audience, but it won’t be the audience that helps push EUC any closer to being cool in culture, which is what we need if it is to take off seriously. As someone that has invested themselves in EUC I find it hard not to feel the weight of this on my shoulders. As someone here once said, we’re all ambassadors for this right now.

I always remember that EUCs main competitor options are OneWheel and eboards. At least amongst gen pop they have the metaphor of skating to jump from (although skaters think they’re douchey) so that gives them a head start amongst the kids... I’m sure we all want this industry to grow and flourish, I’m sure it will. It can be helped by treading carefully though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roo Williams said:

.... It’s like wearing a t-shirt with fake abs in it. You know they’re fake, and it’s all geared towards trying to shift perception of yourself within society. Its actually just a manifestation of insecurity, which is pretty heartbreaking for anyone with an ounce of empathy!...

:blink:  Ew... anyone know how I can cancel my AliExpress order... They looked so cool...  :cry2:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Superman-Tshirts-Men-Compression-T-shirts-BodyBuilding-Fitness-T-shirts-Funny-Streetwear-Tight-Short-Sleeve-3d/32777021940.html

Superman-Printed-Tshirts-Men-Compression

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roo Williams said:

I feel a lot of the aesthetic across the industry is questionable. The EUC industry seems to be a result of a technology driven design process, so rather than being a product of design thinking/user centered design, which starts with the user and what job they want the product to do, it is the product of ‘we have this technology, what can we do with it? We could do this, then add these lights, then add these speakers, then add this USB port, then add X...’ you can find countless examples of products designed and made in the East that encapsulate this approach to product development.

I’m hoping through product iteration and Western feedback the flashy LEDs will be reduced to communications only, signals, visibility, nothing superfluous. If I want to be flashy for a laugh on a group ride I’ll wear a full body LED harness or dress up in a chicken suit or something. As Dieter Rams said, good design is as little design as possible. Less is more.

I don’t think EUCs are made for car junkies. Sure they’re fascinating things that anyone can look at and find magical, including car junkies, but for me, EUCs are an awesome way to get around packed into a small, discrete footprint. Why the need for some outward display of raw power? Especially if you know it’s not actually the result of raw power but merely a synthesis. It’s like wearing a t-shirt with fake abs in it. You know they’re fake, and it’s all geared towards trying to shift perception of yourself within society. Its actually just a manifestation of insecurity, which is pretty heartbreaking for anyone with an ounce of empathy!

Culturally, in the Western world we’re living in a time where waste and conspicuous consumption is not cool any more. Luxury is no longer about gaudy displays of outward wealth, but access and experience. Attention is not about screaming, but just doing your thing and not worrying about what the other guys are doing. As a society we’ve been loud and obnoxious and taken more than we’ve given for years. It’s time to be lean and conscious about what we consume, and what we put out into the world, through all channels. EUCs with their size and quietness fit this space nicely.

And let’s face it, EUCs are pretty powerful, but not that powerful! ?

Maybe a brand will decide to go in that direction and make EUCs with the visual language of a hotrod. Stick an faux engine block on the side while they’re at it. Put some superhero decals on there! Maybe they’ll find an audience, but it won’t be the audience that helps push EUC any closer to being cool in culture, which is what we need if it is to take off seriously. As someone that has invested themselves in EUC I find it hard not to feel the weight of this on my shoulders. As someone here once said, we’re all ambassadors for this right now.

I always remember that EUCs main competitor options are OneWheel and eboards. At least amongst gen pop they have the metaphor of skating to jump from (although skaters think they’re douchey) so that gives them a head start amongst the kids... I’m sure we all want this industry to grow and flourish, I’m sure it will. It can be helped by treading carefully though.

"Its actually just a manifestation of insecurity, which is pretty heartbreaking for anyone with an ounce of empathy!"

Maybe you should tone down the smug personal insults without knowing EXACTLY what you're talking about. It comes across like suburban transplant Brooklyn hipster douchery.

You live in Brooklyn, I live waaay out in the sticks. Enhanced motor audio obviously wouldn't be a great fit for riding in Brooklyn, but there's a big world out there outside your own personal environment. 

What a manifestation of millennial hipster narcissism, heartbreaking self-absorption even!

If you weren't so full of yourself and your stereotypical suburbanite-hipster-in-Brooklyn righteous superiority, you might have paused before jumping to the conclusion that I ride in environments with more than an occasional passerby. The audio effects would be primarily for MY enjoyment.

But thanks for the condescending, self-absorbed, fake-empathetic diagnosis that I'm driven purely by "heartbreaking" "insecurity" in my desire for subtle enhanced audio feedback from next generation (aka MORE POWERFUL) EUCs.

It's not like we won't have 3000 watt motors within the next two years, hipster bro.

But keep talking down to the world from your mountain top. Smug, narcissistic Brooklyn millennials are a dime a dozen.

coffee_guy.png

 

"I don’t think EUCs are made for car junkies."

I never said EUCs were made for car junkies, but you read it that way to make yourself feel superior.  I said that audio feedback is a big part of what draws car junkies to their passion. Get the difference?

If not, try grooving on it for a few minutes over a clove cigarette or something.

"Why the need for some outward display of raw power?"

Why the need to assume the worst about somebody who enjoys audio feedback from their vehicles? Talk about an outward display of (smug, superior) power.

Many car, motorcycle, and EUC lovers live out in the country, away from the maddeningly annoying hipster crowds, and they enjoy the audio feedback from their vehicles for their OWN personal pleasure, not as an outward display of raw power to re-enforce their toxic male privilege and the patriarchy.

 

I know it's tempting to assume the worst in people and talk down to them for your own ego boost. But that doesn't make it right, or even accurate. 

And what kind of secure person jumps so quickly to invent opportunities to call others insecure?

Hmmm.

priming.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roo, now I remember, you're the guy who started this thread:

Alternative names for EUCs?

Quote

 

As I waited for the food I placed it on the table in front of me and the guy opposite reaches out to shake my hand and he’s like ‘hey man what are you ridin?’ I felt like a goofball when he told me he rode a Harley and I pointed out my Gotway Tesla!! My fiancée (who is a creative director and gets sent free stuff because of her Instagram following ie. a ‘social influencer’, therefore a good barometer in this discussion) loves that story. HAHAHA. ANYWAY, I digress.

In my opinion, one attribute of an EUC that could help edge it a little closer to ‘cool’ is a new name. Any time someone asks me ‘what’s that thing called’ I reply with ‘an electric unicycle’ and immediately feel a wave of cold sweat come over me. In my house it’s become a ‘OneWheel’ although we know that’s something different but I’ll take it over it’s last name, also assigned by my fiancee, of a ‘uni ball’.

 

You were so concerned with impressing others and wanting to impress the Harley rider that you wanted to find an entirely new name for EUCs.

"Cold sweats", even. Sounds like tragic insecurity, heartbreaking to anybody with an ounce of fake empathy. 

Talk about psychological projection. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  UNcancel that AliExpress order ASAP!  :w00t2:  I'm gettin' abs!!!

Why stop there while you can even also have boobs? :dribble:

Big-Boobs-Sexy-Stomach-Pack-Abs-print-T-

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:w00t2:  Now we talkin'!   I'm comfortable enough with my feminine side to wear that!  :lol:

I wish more women would wear these to show they are comfortable with their masculine side:  :whistling:

incredibly_unique_tshirt_designs_640_12.

Wait, wait... I have a special combo move for this. (Now what was it?) :confused1:

Left-right-up-down-360... or was it left-right-360-up-down...?

Awe hell! -- Just start mashing away and hope for the best! :facepalm:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I sometimes will use my nose, tongue and mouth to press the special buttons in the middle.  Don't forget the middle buttons.  :efef927839:  Making some motorboat sounds also does the trick.  Wait, what was this thread about?  :whistling:

Thread was about making your EUC sound like a motorboat if you wanted it to:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh sit down @Scouts Honor! I was taking about the abs shirt as an extreme and kind of absurd example to land my point. It wasn’t even personal, althogh I’m wondering if you actually  own one looking at that barrage of animosity above! ?

I spent 4 years of my life studying product design (with my thesis focusing on human motivation) and a further 5 working in an industry that’s built around trying to make products and brands culturally relevant so I know I have a genuine curiosity about this stuff and enjoy trying to break it down and critique it. Sorry if that comes off as smug. My thread about the name is along the same lines - damn right I felt a little insecure. I knew it too, and wrote about it in this forum with curiosity and a sense of humor. The Harley guy could have been anyone that isn’t aware of EUC. It was just funnier that he was a Harley guy. 

I thought we were having an adult conversation here and looked forward to your rebuttal, but you just went straight to make me ‘the other’ and played into your own criticism about judging others! FYI I’m actually from a run down, ex mining/steel town in South Wales where I grew up with next to nothing.

On a serious note and despite the button pushing above, truthfully, if I offended you I’m sorry. I don’t mean to upset anyone, especially any member of this community. ?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Roo Williams said:

truthfully, if I offended you I’m sorry. I don’t mean to upset anyone, especially any member of this community. ?

 

Apology accepted. I didn't know you were a Brit when you said: 

Quote

it’s all geared towards trying to shift perception of yourself within society. Its actually just a manifestation of insecurity, which is pretty heartbreaking for anyone with an ounce of empathy!

tumblr_lwwhywaQmm1qatmal.gif

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried playing car sounds through my wheel's Bluetooth speaker (using an app), but it sounded a little weak. I see there is a thread now for giving your personal sound system an U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D! ?

Maybe this is the answer, more testing needed... ?

 

For what it's worth, my own tests so far have been brief:

Had a 'verify purchase' error with XLR8, so I used a different app (which worked okay, but could've been better). Playing music files (e.g. weird electronic) through the wheel's speakers was just as interesting/provocative (+ app to increase volume with speed). ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...