I have had my MiniPro for 6 months now and have just over 1000 km on it. Today it decided to stop charging past 41%. Is this indicative of a battery cell failure?

Not seen a problem, like that, you are best calling Segway.  If you have equipment you can measure the charger voltage and the battery voltage to see if everything is in order there.  I take it the charger light never goes green, or the charger light goes green and the App and/or display still says 40% only.  You need to provide more information.

2 hours ago, FreeRide said:

Not seen a problem, like that, you are best calling Segway.  If you have equipment you can measure the charger voltage and the battery voltage to see if everything is in order there.  I take it the charger light never goes green, or the charger light goes green and the App and/or display still says 40% only.  You need to provide more information.

The charger light goes green but when I turn on the Segway it says it only shows two bars and the app says that it's only at ~40%.

I contacted Segway and they told me to disconnect the battery and try charging it. Didn't help. When the LED on the battery itself turned solid green I reconnected it but it still was only at 40%. I don't think it's a charger problem because I've tried using another charger and it doesn't make a difference.

This of course happened 190 days after purchase, 10 days past the Segway warranty on the battery.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Seastan said:

The charger light goes green but when I turn on the Segway it says it only shows two bars and the app says that it's only at ~40%.

I contacted Segway and they told me to disconnect the battery and try charging it. Didn't help. When the LED on the battery itself turned solid green I reconnected it but it still was only at 40%. I don't think it's a charger problem because I've tried using another charger and it doesn't make a difference.

This of course happened 190 days after purchase, 10 days past the Segway warranty on the battery.

It sounds to me like it might actually charging correctly.  If the light on the battery turned green generally everything is fine.  Have you tried riding it and see if it lasts more like 100% or 40%?  I guess the only other way to know is to install a different battery and see what it says.  Do you know anyone else with one that you can swap the battery on?

One more thing, in the App, does the mac rating still say 5700 mAh and the current capacity says 40% of that on mAh?

Just to clarify; the light on the battery turned green, while it was still connected to the charger?

Edited by FreeRide

4 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

It sounds to me like it might actually charging correctly.  If the light on the battery turned green generally everything is fine.  Have you tried riding it and see if it lasts more like 100% or 40%?  I guess the only other way to know is to install a different battery and see what it says.  Do you know anyone else with one that you can swap the battery on?

One more thing, in the App, does the mac rating still say 5700 mAh and the current capacity says 40% of that on mAh?

I haven't ridden it all the way to 0, but after riding it for 10 minutes it drops to 1 bar and imposes a reduced maximum speed so it is pretty frustrating.

In the app it still gives the 5700 mAh rating but says it's only charged 1912 mAh. So I guess it's using the 4800 mAh max that the stock charger goes up to to compute the percentage.

One weird thing that happened was yesterday I charged it up until it stopped charging (40%) then took it down a long hill. By the time I got to the bottom it was showing 3 bars and the app was showing 54% charged. So I guess the regenerative braking is capable of charging the battery past 40%, but not the actual charger.

18 minutes ago, Seastan said:

One weird thing that happened was yesterday I charged it up until it stopped charging (40%) then took it down a long hill. By the time I got to the bottom it was showing 3 bars and the app was showing 54% charged. So I guess the regenerative braking is capable of charging the battery past 40%, but not the actual charger.

This is very confusing. That would indicate the fault is in the battery, but somewhere between the battery and the charging connector, if the regenerative charging can push it higher using the internal contacts.  Seems like swapping the battery might still fix it since you've tried a different charger already.  

5 hours ago, FreeRide said:

This is very confusing. That would indicate the fault is in the battery, but somewhere between the battery and the charging connector, if the regenerative charging can push it higher using the internal contacts.  Seems like swapping the battery might still fix it since you've tried a different charger already.  

Unfortunately I don't know anyone nearby with a miniPRO that I could swap batteries with. Looks like I just need to get a replacement.

16 hours ago, FreeRide said:

Just to clarify; the light on the battery turned green, while it was still connected to the charger?

Yes

I have the same issue, will only charge to 40%. I have 2 and maintained both exactly the same with no issues with the other one. I suspect a bad cell or two may be the issue internally. Planning on troubleshooting soon 

While riding I would get huge swings in mileage left in the app. Dropping to 3 miles then back up to 12 miles ect... The remaining power mAh would fluctuate .

I used a 63v power brick that appeared to take it to 100% but after riding for a few minutes it quickly dropped. Went from 15mi range down to 12 then 6 pretty quickly.