Red and Orange Battery lights on Glide 3

owheely

New Glide 3 owner here.

Most of the time my Solowheel Glide 3 will show its battery indicator lights as Blue.

But sometiems it will change to Red / Orange.

I can't tell if the Red / Orange means there's a problem / trouble with the battery (traditionally on other electronic devices, that's what I'm accustomed to), or if the red/orange indicator just means "battery charge is below some %, otherwise healthy."

If the latter, what is the remaining charge percentage when it turns red/orange? Or does it refer to miles remaining? Should I stop using it when it turns that color?

I think it turns orange when the battery is below 50% (or 40%?). This is not a "problem" sign. You can check your battery level more accurately using the app (either native Inmotion app or WheelLog (on Android).

Each bar, regardless of colour, means 20% charge. When two bars are shown you are in the 20% to 40% range. The coloring is just too warn you that you are getting low on power, the wheel's speed will be reduced, and you should take it easy because it will have a reduced ability to respond to extreme conditions increasing the risk of a fall. When above 40% charge all is well so the bars are blue as part of the overall charge indicator. 

• 1 month later...

Agreed that each bar marks (about) 20% capacity. To my experience going from 2 bars to a 1 bar yet seems to take a little bit longer than for the other bars.

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2018 at 9:51 PM, WARPed1701D said:

"the wheel's speed will be reduced"

@WARPed1701D

Questions about the board reducing the speed of the wheel:

• At exactly what % does those speed reduction occur?
  • Is it a reduction of max speed? Acceleration? Both?
  • Is it a single step reduction? Or does the speed/acceleration get decreased more and more proportionally as the battery drains?

9 minutes ago, owheely said:

@WARPed1701D

Questions about the board reducing the speed of the wheel:

• At exactly what % does those speed reduction occur?
  • Is it a reduction of max speed? Acceleration? Both?
  • Is it a single step reduction? Or does the speed/acceleration get decreased more and more proportionally as the battery drains?

According to the manual speed reduction starts at 40% but from my experience (and as was confirmed by @Bobwheel in another thread a few months ago when the V10s behavior was discussed) speed limiting starts much higher. I believe the V8s top speed starts to drop up around 80%. In the rare days I do a balancing charge to max capacity on my wheel I can very easily blow right up to the V8s max speed of 30kph and surprise myself with a slightly aggressive tiltback. On all other days when I'm charging to 80 to 85% I get to about 27 or 28kph and the pedals start to gently lift. I then ride this gentle feathering of the pedals and never get to the point of extreme destabilising tiltback. The V8 is very polite in this first gentle tilting feedback 

Acceleration is never limited by a wheel unless you simply exceed its abilities. Doing so would result in a faceplant and I know of no wheels that try to initiate tiltback due to rate of acceleration; just top speed is limited by tiltback. 

Speed reduction is a gradual thing. There is no big step down in top speed. It is a gradual curve.

I've ridden my V8 to empty several times and it still allowed speeds over 20kph. 

Archived