Ks16s 1.05 firmware is here

acevalsl

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ck your speed settings in the app so the first 2 are set to "0"....  I updated my app a while back and it reset them so mine was beeping as soon as I started moving... not sure on the lights...

I was finally able to upgrade my 16S from 1.02 to 1.05. Here’s how I succeeded:

- Went to KingSong’s official Facebook page and asked help for firmware upgrading. The person who replied asked the tech guy to put the upgrade back online. It had been off the whole time.

- Tried on Android. Found new firmware, but the install process didn’t start. My Android loaner is a bit of an oldie.

- Tried on iOS on iPhone5 (my 6 is reserved for the old app). Found new firmware, but had difficulty pressing ”OK” since the notification is not scrollable, and only a very thin slice of the button is visible. Once I was able to hit it, the upgrade went smoothly. Took a few minutes.

The medium riding mode that I use has at least changed for the better! The wheel feels more powerful, especially on tough situations like curbs and short steep offroad inclines. Ii feels as if the tilt would now stiffen faster, so that when accelerating hard or uphill, the pedals tilt less than before. I believe it is now also safer on surprise bumps and potholes, as the wheel might not lose as much speed and balance.

The top speed of the 16S has been reduced with the firmware 1.05 compared to 1.02. Tiltback now keeps the speed under 33km/h.

I really don’t get the point in doing this. Airwheel did it also way back. Has there really been so many full speed crashes that they are forced to lower the top speed? Did they find out that the motor power is not safe after all at 35km/h? I don’t think so. Their 18” wheels go freaking 50! What this does is encourage people to ride the tiltback. You buy a 35km/h wheel so you learn how to do the 35 that was promised. Upgraders are used to 35, so they get annoyed and learn to ride the tiltback. This was a dangerous move.

I have the 1.05 upgrade and 2 days ago I looked at my pebble top speed and it said 21.5(MPH) so not sure why yours is not the same... I have my speed settings at 0...0...34...35, I did not hit any tiltback on that ride either... may want to double ck your speed settings

By top speed I meant the maximum travel speed. Actual top speed is of course always way beyond that as a safety buffer. When riding my usual trip my momentual maximum speed used to be 34.7-35.5, now it was barely above 33km/h.

Before the upgrade I was able to ride at a steady 34.5km/h, now I can’t keep it even at 33.0km/h. Checked with the old Green KingSong app and DarknessBot. While the tiltback is very polite and often goes unnoticed, the speed difference is definitely noticeable.

I did set the tiltback to 25 for a while to find the same behavior, couldn’t hold a steady 24km/h. Back to 35, still the same. Wouldn’t let me set the limit at 36 of course.

A wishful person would think that they closed the upgrade servers to fix this, but somewhow I’m not at all hopeful.

Atleast if you ride in medium mode and don’t mind losing 1.5km/h from your maximum travel speed, then yes, you should. Can’t say how the hard mode has changed though.

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Atleast if you ride in medium mode and don’t mind losing 1.5km/h from your maximum travel speed, then yes, you should. Can’t say how the hard mode has changed though.

Did you check if one looses "real speed" by comparing with gps data. There was a ~25% discrepancy (with the 16b) for shown speed and travel distance... Maybe they changed something? Or was this discrepancy already resolved for the S versions - i never checked this.

Another thought to this earlier tiltback - maybe they decided to "soften" the tiltback so it wont kick in to harsh anymore, but by this it starts a bit earlier?

7 hours ago, Chriull said:

Did you check if one looses "real speed" by comparing with gps data.

I have a 2.5" tire that has about 5% larger diameter, so even if I had a fast enough gps speedometer, it would still show different. Therefore I'm only comparing KS and DarknessBot app speeds to what they used to show.

7 hours ago, Chriull said:

Another thought to this earlier tiltback - maybe they decided to "soften" the tiltback so it wont kick in to harsh anymore, but by this it starts a bit earlier?

I found the tiltback very smooth already with the 1.02, I usually didn't notice it, but my momentual max speed was almost always 34.4 - 34.8 km/h.

One thing I noticed today though. This issue might be related to the horizontal pedal calibration. My riding boots have a thick heel section, which I have so far compensated with a rather steep backwards calibration. As the pedal stiffness behavior is different now, today I tried a more level calibration. I must test more tomorrow, but I felt as if the issue was not as strong anymore.

It could be that as the pedals are more level now, the tiltback does it's job more effectively. As I was yesterday riding with a steeper backwards angle than I'm used to, it makes sense that even the slightest tiltback would be noticeable. Once I find the familiar riding angle, I can properly test wether there is a difference after all.

Today I had a bad experience with the Kingsong app (again).

I turned it on, it told me to upgrade the FW, and before I could do anything, he already started upgrading.  Of course I did not want to interrupt, but I didn't like it.

Especially because he upgraded from 1.05 to 1.05, which should never ever happen. 

Again a sign, how poor the software quality of the Kingsong app is.  Until now I used it only once every 2 weeks or so, but now I believe I will delete it from my phone completely.

For riding I use wheellog only, and look only into the KS app to see if there is something new from time to time.

Kingsong.jpg.bb51961aaeb74827c841afdc57d43626.jpg

Updated from 1.02 to 1.05 2 days ago (android ) no issues here, player mode wheel seems more firm and stable , a bit more comfortable. Set the tilt back on 35kph so far havent experience tilt yet.

Guess I am one of the lucky ones.  From my android phone I just upgraded firmware on the first try.  Checked my battery percentage, and it’s at 80% - but its really fully charged but I have always had a problem with it saying 76% on full charge.  4% closer to being accurate I guess.  I am going to go give it a ride and see how it feels/ does.  I just noticed 8 leds are lit on the side now on a full charge instead of 7. So maybe the battery level being wrong is a firmware thing, not a hardware thing, or possible a combination of both. 

11 minutes ago, Joker10 said:

I have always had a problem with it saying 76% on full charge.

That might mean you have a dead battery cell. That happened to me yesterday, the charging suddenly stopped at 80% (fw 1.05). Opened her up, and there is a one parallel pair of cells that measure 0V. When I detached that pack, the charging did continue with the healthy pack.

When a cell dies, the BMS stops charging when the remaining 15 pairs of cells reach 4.2V. That means 63.0V total for the 15 remaining cells. The healthy pack now tops at 3.94V per cell.

My range dropped likewise of course. I will replace the dead cells sometime after I receive my Msuper X!

Went out for about 4 miles.  Feels different, but not in a bad way.  I didn’t notice much of a difference when accelerating, but braking is noticeably different.  Just feels like I have to be more assertive when trying to get the same results.  I am always the optimist but I think I am going to get a bit more range out of it since it is reading the battery percentage slightly more accurately.

@Joker10 they came out with 1.07, I just downloaded it 20 minutes ago.... I will get a ride tomorrow on it and see, the description of improvements includes battery calibration and gyro calibration among others... I have been using 1.05 for a couple of weeks and like the way it rides since that upgrade...

@Borg666 started a thread today that he downloaded it earlier and will give a short review tomorrow evening...

Ok I did 30 and a half miles today.  15.2 our and 15.2 back.  Recharged at my destination.  I weigh 210 lbs right now and carried probably 15 to 20 lbs between clothing, padding/helmet and backpack with water and quick charger and edc gear. Had 38% battery after 15.2 miles out probably averaged about 13 mph.  No headligh or Bluetooth.  Also there is 433’ of ascent on this route according to Strava.  The return trip I averaged 14 mph and had 34% battery left, I accidentally had the headlight on for a few miles.   The last 4miles or so is on rough sidewalk and some grass/ off roading.  I was probably averaging between 17 and 19 mph when I got to the bike trail.  I don’t feel like my range has improved with the update but the accuracy of the battery level is better.  I was getting some beeping near the end of the return trip climbing the hills as these are the steepest of the hills along this route and there was a slight head wind.  I learned that I don’t enjoy riding 2 hours in one day.  I could not wait to get off the wheel.  The update did change the way the pedal feels like it accelerates and decelerates,  But I have already adapted to it.   The king song 16s is one nice wheel!  About perfect for the get around town wheel.   I wonder how many miles it will give me.  I got to ride an msuper the other day thanks to JES.  It would have been a much more comfortable ride and a faster trip with it.

For me the greatest difference in comfort between the Msuper and 16S are the pedals. For my EU46 canoes the original KS pedals are a joke. Today I got to ride an old Msuper v3, and realized that I have to make new pedal extensions, as the Msuper pedals were still so much more comfortable. (And the old extensions are slightly bent.)

The smallest shoe I wear is an eu47 cycling shoe by specialized, apparently they are slightly large on their sizing.  I have some redwing boots in size 14.  I feel your pain mrelwood.  

Archived