Tire bent for shipping, how to make straight?

mrelwood

F95CA256-C6E3-43E2-AB3A-1B6365F9920C.thumb.jpeg.eaccafba24163912ff3b0b8323914bc6.jpeg

25A570C7-982A-4696-9E9A-9C677B88CCE4.thumb.jpeg.bbc0de46224a4f0d4d15de394e7109dc.jpeg

02B61247-9378-43A6-872B-3990060E2B62.thumb.jpeg.8c1a947d6c29e8ed04f63ec4ce66ca47.jpeg

How the heck do you straighten a tire that has had the ends bent together for shipping?! The inner edges have several sharp corners that I tried to straighten by hand with little success.

I installed the tire anyway, and with 3 bars the ride was just horrible. My knees couldn’t take the rattle for more than 1 km. Lowered to 1.8 bars, which made the careful ride tolerable for a while, although it was a chore making it turn. Back up to 2.3 bars, tolerable for a while, but no sign of the problem getting any better. And it’s no pressure for me on the 16S.

Is this tire forever doomed as trash, or is there something I can do?

39 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe try heat gun with the tire off the rim? 

That might actually work somewhat, thanks. Though I’m open for other ideas as well, must have a break before taking it off again.

I had lost my faith on this one, but I tried once more: I deflated the tire, and manually aligned it as straight and centered as I could. I pumped it up only very little, and again centered it. I repeated this until the tire had enough air not to react to my "hand"ling. Pumped to 3 bars, and weight balanced the wheel. It took 30g at a single spot. Based on free air shakiness, it is now within normal range! I'll go for a test ride soon.

How about that! The tire rides fine. Actually very fine. While it's not the tire I ordered, this is a very good tire.

956230178_ChaoYangH-5102.png.7d74dda59b44573b04c2e94b8e97cfb9.png

Nano-review of Chao Yang H-5102 (16" x 2.5", 3.3 bars, 94kg rider, KS-16S):

• Very directional, keeps its course over bumps, surface changes and sideway slopes very well.
  • Soft rubber makes for quite a comfortable ride over harsh bumps.
  • Rolls effortlessly, device speed limit seemed to come up earlier.
  • Has less of the upright force of a wider tire in curves, making it the best 2.5" tire of the ones I've tried for carving.
  • Seemed like it didn't sink to soft fine gravel as much as my other 2.5" tires.
  • I had zero sense of decreasing grip when curving from pavement to fine gravel. Felt supernatural.
  • Seems to struggle slightly with very tight turns at walking speed. My feet have never before touched ground in tight turns.

Overall: Marvellous for travel & speed, larger turn radius might not be good for tricks.

Mine came with a blue stripe, meaning it is Kevlar reinforced for durability and puncture protection. Yellow stripe is puncture protection only.

On 5/6/2018 at 1:15 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

:efee612b4b: Mhkay... still would not order from THAT seller again lol

This was the second time I received a different tire than I ordered. And one time they were friendly enough to send pictures before shipping. No surprise there either, the tire was the wrong model. Each purchase was from a different seller, and I had specifically said that I will not buy any other tire than the H-5167.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this. It must be that the general attitude towards everything is so hugely different in China vs the western world, that this kind of thing is a non-issue to them. Makes me think of the TV-series Silicon Valley.

I am demanding my money back, ofcourse. Might not get all of it, but I’m sure I’ll be satisfied with the end result in a week or so. ?

It's a little late, but this still might be useful for someone with a similar problem.

And although this is about tubeless tyres, the first issue (on bent tyres) is relevant...

40 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It's a little late, but this still might be useful for someone with a similar problem.

And although this is about tubeless tyres, the first issue (on bent tyres) is relevant...

This was a useful video, very good, thanks for sharing!

Carl

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I'm actually planning on going tubeless, so those were all very valuable tips. Thanks!

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I'm actually planning on going tubeless, so those were all very valuable tips. Thanks!

It has started me thinking too... But what do you do about the bent valve bit?

On 5/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It has started me thinking too... But what do you do about the bent valve bit?

I got a wild idea for that: I have an inner tube lying around that has the correct style air valve, but it is pointing exactly to the side. It won't fit an EUC too well, as the valve would just scrape the casing. I'll cut the tube generously around the valve, and make a bushing for the stem of the valve with a very sticky, rubbery, sealer that is used in car body repair work. That and the tubeless tire sealer should (or _could_) do it. If not, I got myself some serious scraping to do...

Archived