Bigger wheels = bigger SPEED (MINI PLUS)

I figure that changing outer diameter on the wheels would allow

1. Higher top speed

2. Less acceleration

3. Higher risk for cutoff (especially when breaking) 

But i want to give it a try. Problem of i Can't find any high profile 6.5" wheels not even in China. If they are bigger they are also wider and there is only space for 1dim up (10mm width wise) then i have to start cutting in particular or remove a lot. Mud guards of course have to go.

MN any tips on tires ?

• Upvote 2

Mini Pro is more suitable for this task. Because it has 10" stock tires comparing to Mini Plus 11". And there couple 11" tires from China that fit Mini wheels. Even tires from Mini Plus will fit Mini Pro. And, as Mini Pro has 18 km/h limit at 10" stock tires, with 11" tires the speed is increased up to 20-21 km/h. I use this setup for more than 2000 kilometers and I'm very satisfied.

tires.png

tires2.jpg

Edited by GrAnd
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GrAnd said:

Mini Pro is more suitable for this task. Because it has 10" stock tires comparing to Mini Plus 11". And there couple 11" tires from China that fit Mini wheels. Even tires from Mini Plus will fit Mini Pro. And, as Mini Pro has 18 km/h limit at 10" stock tires, with 11" tires the speed is increased up to 20-21 km/h. I use this setup for more than 2000 kilometers and I'm very satisfied.

tires.png

tires2.jpg

So it actually WORKS ?

VERY HAPPY TO HEAR THAT.

I will begin looking for bigger tires. I have found slightly wider and bigger diameter tyres that would give an additional 14% speed so around 20km/h real speed. Now it tilt back around 19 but actual speed is 16.

but I will look for monster tires:-)

The bigger the diameter, the higher the speed but also less reserve and closer to cutoff if braking accelerating hard (unless it handles that somehow, but can't see how it could. It can only accelerate max and a bigger wheel will be faster but with less Accel &deceleration just like when changing gears on a motor bike.

But i dont mind. I will try to find a wheel that takes me to 25km/h. The profile must be very high and it will likely require a wider tyre and some plastic removal/ cutting but i can always mold something if needed ?

Sweet that some one already tried this

thanks for the info :+)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Boogieman said:

I will try to find a wheel that takes me to 25km/h.

Actually, there is hacked firmware for Mini / MiniPro with higher limits. It allows to ride the bot up to 23-24 km/h on stock tires, and up to 26-27 km/h using "high profile" tires. Sorry, no such firmware for Mini Plus.

Also, a looong time ago there was an experiment to mount the 42 cm (16.5") wheels on the Mini Pro. :shock2:

20161028_215155_resized.thumb.jpg.49a7d0245e762b798222a9ce658bff0c.jpg20161028_215204_resized.thumb.jpg.f04d8e7855df3bb6eaa6babefd5d7fc3.jpg

The story (sorry, mostly Google-translated from Russian):

So, installed, went to ride ....... the behavior of the bot has changed, it has become like smooth or something, or slow-minded.
Playfulness and responsiveness to any movement is disappeared. And it does not depend on the weight of the rider (the same behavior with daughter (36 kg). If you rapidly begin to accelerate the bot starts to move, but it is late a bit and does not have time to move under you and you can just jump forward. By the way, he does not beeping at the same time from overload, just lagging behind.
If everything is done smoothly, then everything seems normal, only you stand much higher, it's scary to ride it.
It brakes sluggishly too, and with a delay. I tried to go down from a hill and then go up ........ rises, goes, just a couple of times beeped, but it seems can manage it, and not particularly "with difficulty."
Speed certainly increased, but ride on this sluggish thing is not comfortable. I managed to accelerate up to 25 km / h. It was possible to speed up higher, the bot did not even start to lift the platform.
For all the time of bullying the bot, he stayed good and never dropped me and turned off (with my weight under 90).

Conclusion:
Driving such wheels is certainly not comfortable, all this was done for the sake of experiment.
The slow behavior of the bot, in my opinion, is due to two reasons .....
First, this significantly increased the wheel leverage relative to the engine lever (the rotor diameter of the engine) ........
the second, this greatly increased the weight of the rotor of the engine (external rotating part of the engine plus a large disk and rubber). Weight bot in this setup was 23 kg (I shuddered when weighed it).
You can go further and put something light and a smaller diameter, but I do not know yet how this can be organized (maybe using spokes and bike rim).

Edited by GrAnd
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

Could you tell me where there's the tutorial for this firmware

There is no such tutorial, unfortunately. There are at least 3 guys (in Moscow, Saint Petersburg and Kiev) who can "upgrade" Mini / Mini Pro with this firmware for a piece of money. It's required some soldering work and there are no plans to share the firmware and related stuff. But they can upload the firmware just to mainboard if someone send it to them.

Edited by GrAnd

1 hour ago, GrAnd said:

There is no such tutorial, unfortunately. There are at least 3 guys (in Moscow, Saint Petersburg and Kiev) who can "upgrade" Mini / Mini Pro with this firmware for a piece of money. It's required some soldering work and there are no plans to share the firmware and related stuff. But they can upload the firmware just to mainboard if someone send it to them.

I ordered a programmer. For a fee I may be able to get the firmware update, but it has some limitations depending on battery, maybe others, but they are working on it.  Hopefully in June I will be able to test it on one of my MiniPros.  I didn't ask how much the fee was yet, I think it should be reasonable.

6 hours ago, GrAnd said:

is it not more the downgrade to v117 firmware with programmer?

or it's a new custom firmware?

8 hours ago, GrAnd said:

Also, a looong time ago there was an experiment to mount the 42 cm (16.5") wheels on the Mini Pro. :shock2:

20161028_215155_resized.thumb.jpg.49a7d0245e762b798222a9ce658bff0c.jpg20161028_215204_resized.thumb.jpg.f04d8e7855df3bb6eaa6babefd5d7fc3.jpg

The story (sorry, mostly Google-translated from Russian):

Haha, that is crazy :) just mounted bigger wheels on the outside of the standard :)

I bet it feels sluggish, that's expected. Though something in between would be nice. Like a 100/80-6.5" but no such high profile tyre can be found.i can only find a tyre that will give me 2km/h extra... And of course some extra "damping" from the high profile. Search continues until a speed mod of available also for the plus :)

I'm one of the developers of this mod. (I apologize, google translate)

This firmware is based on firmware 1.3.1 and on it you can now travel with the most comfortable and at the same time safe speed for distances of about 22-24 kilometers (for pro version). With the development of this firmware I was helped by Alexey, the developer of the firmware for scooters, for more details about his firmware you can see on the site mimod.ru
Pleasant soft steering, smooth powerful acceleration and easy maintenance of speed above 20 km. The maximum speed depends on the charge of the battery, on a full charge (5 division), the speed is up to 23km, on the 4-3 division, the speed is 22.5km / h, for 2 divisions the speed is 20km / h, on one division the speed is about 16km / h, without divisions, the speed drops to 7km / h and begins to pick up the platform . For the total mileage, the firmware was practically unaffected.

Updating is by soldering the programmer J-link V8

You can see this topic, it has links to the programming procedure.
Firmware will not be available.

• Upvote 3

On 5/8/2018 at 8:34 PM, GrAnd said:

To clarify the information, "update" can make 4 guys (Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kiev and Krasnoyarsk)

54 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

i dont find about this custom firmware on this site ?

There are no firmware on that site (This is the site of the second (main) developer of this firmware, he described on his website what he did with the Xiaomi Mijia Scooter M365). the firmware is not for the public access. Only description. Firmware for those who will provide the fee. Later I will make a site with a description.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MRN76 said:

There are no firmware on that site (This is the site of the second (main) developer of this firmware, he described on his website what he did with the Xiaomi Mijia Scooter M365). the firmware is not for the public access. Only description. Firmware for those who will provide the fee. Later I will make a site with a description.

Thank you ?

On 5/11/2018 at 12:56 PM, MRN76 said:

Firmware + soldering mod + needed programmer (if any) description possible For a fee? For the mini plus ?

I prefer not to send my mini plus abroad due to crazy import taxes in Sweden (and ridiculous need of proof if its a returning product, to prevemt taxes)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 3:56 AM, MRN76 said:

I have two new MiniPRO (US version) with firmware 4.1.0. I weigh 200lbs and have been repeatedly thrown when crossing a minor gutter (less than 1cm). The motor seems to momentarily switch off, after the downslope while changing to the upslope with the small l (<1cm) ledge at the bottom. I have seen a YouTube video showing some similar strange behaviour on pavement with  >v1.1.7 firmware. I think that the algorithm to step up the power momentarily exceeds a software overflow - which would be a firmware bug, in fact. It happens with me, not my wife, who weighs less. I am assuming the bug probably is part of the speed/current-limiting software which was put  in after v1.1.7, but am not certain of this. Do you think your custom 1.3.1 firmware would still have this bug in it? I am an MCU developer, and have ST-Link and J-link programmers (and know how to use them).

On 6/9/2018 at 5:00 AM, trevmar said:

I have two new MiniPRO (US version) with firmware 4.1.0. I weigh 200lbs and have been repeatedly thrown when crossing a minor gutter (less than 1cm). The motor seems to momentarily switch off, after the downslope while changing to the upslope with the small l (<1cm) ledge at the bottom. I have seen a YouTube video showing some similar strange behaviour on pavement with  >v1.1.7 firmware. I think that the algorithm to step up the power momentarily exceeds a software overflow - which would be a firmware bug, in fact. It happens with me, not my wife, who weighs less. I am assuming the bug probably is part of the speed/current-limiting software which was put  in after v1.1.7, but am not certain of this. Do you think your custom 1.3.1 firmware would still have this bug in it? I am an MCU developer, and have ST-Link and J-link programmers (and know how to use them).

I can not answer your question. Only by trying it is possible to find out.

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys,

Really need some help here.

Manege to fix the wheels but unable to inflate it. not sure whats went wrong.

Tried Reinstall few time with professional help, but still can't inflate it.

Anyone could help? or any here know someone in Singapore that can do it?

Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, Nelson said:

Tried Reinstall few time with professional help, but still can't inflate it.

A competent mechanic would realize that the large amount of air leaking around the hubs of these small tires often requires quite a large compressor to seat them. Also, sometimes the valve has to be removed to initially get enough air into the tire. There is a tourist company using MiniPRO in Singapore, I think. Maybe they have a professional with some experience replacing the small tires?