KS14d high pitch whistling

Juggler

After turning the wheel on I was immediatly aware of a slight whistling sound, My Ninebot is completelly silent!

Having ridden my new KS14d for the first time I was surprised to hear a high pitch whisling sound when riding. Is this normall? Why would it do this? My Ninebot doesn't make this noise!

Other problems are the speed alarms are lowering even with 65% remaining battery!!!!!

I bought this wheel to be better than my Ninebot not worse!

Signed

A dissapointed KS rider

It's normal, unfortunately. You can download the Android app "Advanced Spectrum Analyzer" and see it yourself. For Gotways (at least the old ones, I know from my ACM) it's at 6kHz and the KingSongs should be similar.

asa.png

I think that particular whine is by the PWM on the board. Maybe also the motor itself is vibrating at that frequency. Not sure.

There's a lot of discussion about this here, if you search for "whine", "high pitch whine" etc. General consensus is, you get used to this pretty fast and it is no problem, but of course no whine would be better.

The Gotway Tesla is the quietest wheel (along with the old Ninebots) as far as I know, no or barely no whine. Other wheels all seem to have a whine (the V10 does not, but the motor is louder in lower frequencies).

As for the speed reductions, the 14D battery is only 2P (2x16 cells) which isn't that big. If you want higher speed for longer, you need a wheel with a bigger battery (more cells) because that is needed for high and reliable power delivery over higher ranges of battery percentage. That are just the current limits of technology.

Maybe there is a firmware update, though, they did relax alarms/reductions a bit in the past at some points. I'm not familiar with KingSongs, so someone else has to know the details about this with the 14D. You can try.

Also maybe exchange it for a 14S? Twice the battery size! The seller might not have a problem with such an upgrade, or maybe you're still in some return window? You could also ask your seller what you can expect from a 14S vs a 14D.

49 minutes ago, Juggler said:

bought this wheel to be better than my Ninebot not worse!

seams you bought the wrong wheel....

Ninebot also reduces speed according to battery level, I don't know at what percentage.

The Kingsong has a 420wh battery, yes?  That's almost 25% bigger than Ninebot E+, and the Kinsgsong also has a higher top speed than Ninebot, so even throttling down at 65% it still has more speed and range than Ninebot, plus a 800w motor vs 500w for E+.

Plus the built in trolley handle and bluetooth speakers make it a definite upgrade, just not a large upgrade.

The whine and smaller tire might be the only disadvantages, but maybe you get used to it and tune it out after awhile.  I've read that helmets that cover the ears really help.

You just got the wheel?  How does the motor power feel compared to the Ninebot?  Noticeably stronger?

2 hours ago, Juggler said:

After turning the wheel on I was immediatly aware of a slight whistling sound, My Ninebot is completelly silent!

Having ridden my new KS14d for the first time I was surprised to hear a high pitch whisling sound when riding. Is this normall? Why would it do this? My Ninebot doesn't make this noise!

Other problems are the speed alarms are lowering even with 65% remaining battery!!!!!

Signed

A dissapointed KS rider

If you bought the wheel based on expectations of being quiet than you made a poor choice. The vast majority of powerful new wheels have loud motors. 

KingSong throttles their wheel speeds as battery levels decrease. That's a well known property of their wheels. The KS14S had twice the battery so it's not as noticeable.

39 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Ninebot also reduces speed according to battery level, I don't know at what percentage.

The Kingsong has a 420wh battery, yes?  That's almost 25% bigger than Ninebot E+, and the Kinsgsong also has a higher top speed than Ninebot, so even throttling down at 65% it still has more speed and range than Ninebot, plus a 800w motor vs 500w for E+.

Plus the built in trolley handle and bluetooth speakers make it a definite upgrade, just not a large upgrade.

The whine and smaller tire might be the only disadvantages, but maybe you get used to it and tune it out after awhile.  I've read that helmets that cover the ears really help.

You just got the wheel?  How does the motor power feel compared to the Ninebot?  Noticeably stronger?

Yes Ninebot reduces the speed but not until about 25% remaining . I was told that KS14d firmware had improved the level at which the speed reduces down to 35%. Obviously thats not the case.

I read dozens of reviews on the 14d and not one mentioned the annoying noise or speed reduction at 65%

Can't really say the power is any greater, but it is faster for a while!

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you bought the wheel based on expectations of being quiet than you made a poor choice. The vast majority of powerful new wheels have loud motors. 

KingSong throttles their wheel speeds as battery levels decrease. That's a well known property of their wheels. The KS14S had twice the battery so it's not as noticeable.

Tha last thing on my mind when i bought the whell was the noise level as I never expected it to be any different to my Ninebot

32 minutes ago, Juggler said:

Can't really say the power is any greater, but it is faster for a while!

Seams you annoyance about the sound and the speed reducement is getting through, or?

i one of your first post you even said its more crispy (dont remember the exactly words)

As i know the 9b e-plus AND the 14d with about 300Watt more, to say that the power is not any greater, is just bashing in my view...

If the14d is such an annoying wheel, just try to give it back to the seller, and upgrade to a wheel that meets your exspectations, its just that easy.

Dont get mw wrong, i understand that you are not happy and that this is frustrating...so just try to change that!

29 minutes ago, Juggler said:

last thing on my mind when i bought the whell was the noise level as I never expected it to be any different to my Ninebo

But be warned, as just a really, really tiny percentage of actual wheels sound different than the ks14d....at least i know none quiet in this price class.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:42 AM, Juggler said:

Signed

A dissapointed KS rider

Being that the wheel has such a small battery capacity, 65% standing still does not leave much "meat on the bone" while traveling at speed. The battery drops quite a bit while riding. So 65% on a 420wh battery leaves you with very little useable speed. If you watch the battery meter on your app while riding you'll understand what I am talking about. So no, it's not limiting you at 65%, its limiting you once the wheel gets down around 40% (due to battery usage while riding). 

As for the "whine", I've owned quite a few different wheels over the last few months and my 14D and 14S were the quieter of the bunch. Powerful electric motors are going to give off some sound.

10 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

Being that the wheel has such a small battery capacity, 65% standing still does not leave much "meat on the bone" while traveling at speed. The battery drops quite a bit while riding. So 65% on a 420wh battery leaves you with very little useable speed. If you watch the battery meter on your app while riding you'll understand what I am talking about. So no, it's not limiting you at 65%, its limiting you once the wheel gets down around 40% (due to battery usage while riding). 

As for the "whine", I've owned quite a few different wheels over the last few months and my 14D and 14S were the quieter of the bunch. Powerful electric motors are going to give off some sound.

Ahh, you young people crack me up... Just wait until your a bit older and can't hear that frequency any longer!

I haven't been able to hear my wheel frequency for about 18 months now... And by my calculations, Mrs. TFU will fade out in about 235 days too - I can't wait, it will be like Christmas!

22 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Ahh, you young people crack me up... Just wait until your a bit older and can't hear that frequency any longer!

So how much older do i need to be since i was born in 1953!!!

Bye the way, does anyone have any problems registering with the new 1.47 app?  Everytime i try to register, it says " system busy " !!!

Really fed up with this app  (and wheel)

1 hour ago, Juggler said:

So how much older do i need to be since i was born in 1953!!!

Cripes, I was born in 1955 and my KS-14C is, too me but not others, completely silent. You need to go to a few more heavy metal concerts I think (or maybe it was just two loud children that did it!)

7 hours ago, Keith said:

Cripes, I was born in 1955 and my KS-14C is, too me but not others, completely silent. You need to go to a few more heavy metal concerts I think (or maybe it was just two loud children that did it!)

I never did either LOL

Archived