Going from 16inch max 30km/h to 40km/h. What euc?

alcatraz

Hi riders...

I've done 2500 km now and feel pretty confident. From busy city streets to off road. I currently own an Inmotion V8 but I started on a 9B E.

I'm trying to determine how I'd like to improve on the V8. It's lightweight and convenient with the handle. Lights work beautifully.

What I'd like in a faster EUC around 40km/h is a wider tire or an 18inch. Because I live in a big city in China I don't want to go with a beast like an 18inch @30kg. If there were lightweight 18 inchers I would consider it.

I've nailed it down to wider tire being sufficient and staying with 16inch. What euc's support 16in x 2.5 tires and cruise at 40km/h?

Inmotion V10. Tesla and ACM are all 16x2.125 which doesn't feel safe at speed. I want to have some more shock absorption ability without going beast size.

Ideas?

/a

The V10(F) is a 16x2.5" tire. That is one of it's selling points. It seems to fit your needs well, especially if safety is your main concern. You'll probably have to ride with tiltback though at speed, the Tesla and ACM are both much faster wheels.

Thanks for writing Hatchet.

The V10 looks good. It's a bit over 20kg. The Kingsong 18 inch is quite compact for it's size and is under 19kg. I wish I knew the width of the KS-18L tire. I'm not so concerned with 16vs18 but the width helps to keep pressure a bit lower which makes bumpy roads into flat.? At similar width an 18inch tire will be superior of course but if I'm comparing a narrow 18inch with the v10 wide 2.5 tire I wouldn't assume the 18 inch wheel to be superior over bumps.

I think it's cool that 18 inchers can come in at 18.x kg. I realize it has to do with the battery capacity a lot. I don't mind having 30-40km of available distance. I got 25km now on the V8 and it's just enough for my 20km commute plus a tiny bit extra. In deep winter though when it's like minus 15 degrees that capacity plumets. I have to limp home after 19-20km.

/a

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

Thanks for writing Hatchet.

The V10 looks good. It's a bit over 20kg. The Kingsong 18 inch is quite compact for it's size and is under 19kg. I wish I knew the width of the KS-18L tire. I'm not so concerned with 16vs18 but the width helps to keep pressure a bit lower which makes bumpy roads into flat.? At similar width an 18inch tire will be superior of course but if I'm comparing a narrow 18inch with the v10 wide 2.5 tire I wouldn't assume the 18 inch wheel to be superior over bumps.

I think it's cool that 18 inchers can come in at 18.x kg. I realize it has to do with the battery capacity a lot. I don't mind having 30-40km of available distance. I got 25km now on the V8 and it's just enough for my 20km commute plus a tiny bit extra. In deep winter though when it's like minus 15 degrees that capacity plumets. I have to limp home after 19-20km.

/a

KS18L is 2.5" wheel width I'm pretty sure. It should be very similar to the V10F. Those are the two wheels I am most excited by. 18L will have a higher top speed, and the V10F will be more agile. But the 18L will be very agile for an 18" wheel.

18L will have the larger battery. Both are the most advanced wheels from the two companies with the best reputations for safety and reliability.

I would say go for the Tesla, I currently own an Inmotion V8, previously owned a Tesla , M Super V3 and the Kingsong 18a. The Tesla weighs just under 19 kilograms. The Tesla tire may be thin but feels more planted and more stable at speed than an 18 inch M super V3. It is an incredible wheel. It feels twice as powerful as the Inmotion V8 and is Silent in comparison. It handles better IMHO. 

19 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Hi riders...

I've done 2500 km now and feel pretty confident. From busy city streets to off road. I currently own an Inmotion V8 but I started on a 9B E.

I'm trying to determine how I'd like to improve on the V8. It's lightweight and convenient with the handle. Lights work beautifully.

What I'd like in a faster EUC around 40km/h is a wider tire or an 18inch. Because I live in a big city in China I don't want to go with a beast like an 18inch @30kg. If there were lightweight 18 inchers I would consider it.

I've nailed it down to wider tire being sufficient and staying with 16inch. What euc's support 16in x 2.5 tires and cruise at 40km/h?

Inmotion V10. Tesla and ACM are all 16x2.125 which doesn't feel safe at speed. I want to have some more shock absorption ability without going beast size.

Ideas?

/a

If you are absolutely set on a 2-1/2 inch tire, people have installed those on the Tesla and ACM (pictures are in this Forum). You will have to cut the shell to do so however.

The ACM and Tesla feel very stable at 40-kph, at least to me and many others. Maybe you have personal experience that says otherwise.

The V10F is not a good high-speed wheel because it's absolute maximum speed is 40-kph and you'll be riding the tilt-back to get there, and only while near 100-percent battery. IMHO, the V10F is a solid 0 - 34 kph wheel.

Unfortunately your requirements are at odds with each other. 18-inch wheels are heavy. Period.

If you want a fast and stable wheel that's relatively light, the Tesla is the only wheel for you.

I too also want an 18L ?. The Tesla feels like it has endless power. If you get the chance to test it,  try it.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

f you are absolutely set on a 2-1/2 inch tire, people have installed those on the Tesla and ACM (pictures are in this Forum).

Really?

I must have missed  that....do you have any links? I know the 2,5 inch is a very common mod on the KS16...but on the Tesla and ACM?

23 minutes ago, US69 said:

Really?

I must have missed  that....do you have any links? I know the 2,5 inch is a very common mod on the KS16...but on the Tesla and ACM?

No links, but they were all done by @Ando Melkonyan on both of his wheels. If you search his posts I'm sure you'll find the pictures. I rode his modded ACM before he switched to the Tesla. He's got a thing for wide tires :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm intrigued about the tesla now since it has a good trolley handle and could possibly be upgraded to a 16x2.5 inch tire.

I'm looking for the guide for doing so and also what the end result would be. I hear some wheels actually feel less stable after such mods.

The Kingsong 18L appears to be lighter than a Tesla and comes with a bigger tire without need for mods and possibly better quality control. Would I be crazy to buy a Tesla? Hmm...

Thank you everyone for writing. 

/a

15 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I'm intrigued about the tesla now since it has a good trolley handle and could possibly be upgraded to a 16x2.5 inch tire.

I'm looking for the guide for doing so and also what the end result would be. I hear some wheels actually feel less stable after such mods.

The Kingsong 18L appears to be lighter than a Tesla and comes with a bigger tire without need for mods and possibly better quality control. Would I be crazy to buy a Tesla? Hmm...

/a

You wouldn't be crazy. The power delivery from the Tesla is smooth, silent and immense, it feels like you are gliding, and you soon find yourself hitting headwind. Have you ridden a Tesla before? The long body design means it sits higher up the inside of your legs, this allows the Tesla to feel more stable at speed, even more than the MSuper V3 in my opinion. 

On 4/28/2018 at 8:55 PM, alcatraz said:

Inmotion V10. Tesla and ACM are all 16x2.125 which doesn't feel safe at speed

This could not be farther from the truth when referring to the Tesla.  I constantly ride at 28mph+ and it couldn't be more planted or stable at these speeds, dismissing it on tire size would be a big mistake. 1270 miles on mine as of last night and I only ride for fun... ❤️

18 minutes ago, Brian Morris said:

This could not be farther from the truth when referring to the Tesla.  I constantly ride at 28mph+ and it couldn't be more planted or stable at these speeds, dismissing it on tire size would be a big mistake. 1270 miles on mine as of last night and I only ride for fun... ❤️

Thank you for a point well made. Would you be interested in upgrading to a 2.5inch tire one day?

I got sold on the V8 having magnesium this and lightweight that. I'm wondering if lifting a Tesla will get old quick. I ride in the city and I often need to get it past a few stairs. Obviously it's better than an msuper but I'm not sure if it's better than a KS-18L. How much does your Tesla weigh?

Have you ever come across an unexpected bump at a bit too high speed and just wished you were on an 18 inch? That has happened to me on the V8 and I've had it for around 2000km.

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

/a

There is no way that the 18-inch KingSong is going to weigh less than the 16-inch Tesla.

26 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Have you ever come across an unexpected bump at a bit too high speed and just wished you were on an 18 inch? That has happened to me on the V8 and I've had it for around 2000km

The V8 is very light for a 16 inch wheel, I struggle on mine when facing strong crosswind. The Tesla is more forgiving in those situations you mentioned than the Inmotion V8.  It is heavier so feels more planted, It has power and the battery capacity is more than twice that of the V8. Mechanically the Inmotion V8 feels like a Toy compared to the Tesla,  2000w motor v 800w motor.

3 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Thank you for a point well made. Would you be interested in upgrading to a 2.5inch tire one day?

I got sold on the V8 having magnesium this and lightweight that. I'm wondering if lifting a Tesla will get old quick. I ride in the city and I often need to get it past a few stairs. Obviously it's better than an msuper but I'm not sure if it's better than a KS-18L. How much does your Tesla weigh?

Have you ever come across an unexpected bump at a bit too high speed and just wished you were on an 18 inch? That has happened to me on the V8 and I've had it for around 2000km.

I don't know what benefit a 2.5 tire would bring.  I really don't have a problem with the current tire, but I also don't know any better as I haven't ridden a 2.5 tire.

45lbs I think, I used to think the v8 was heavy, but now that I mainly lug a Tesla around I feel like I can carry the v8 5x as far and not be bothered.  The real problem with the Tesla is no cutoff switch.  you have to shut it off every time you go up more than a curb. 

I've not road an 18 so I don't know how those handle bumps better.  I'm pretty good at watching the road but sometimes I don't see something bigger than I should but its never caused anything other than an unexpected jolt.

the features of the v8 stomp a mudhole in the Tesla, but the same goes back at the v8 on speed.  can't have it all right now :(

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There is no way that the 18-inch KingSong is going to weigh less than the 16-inch Tesla.

Have you checked the specs? They may be inaccurate but still... got me thinking. Besides even if they are the same (which they appear not to be) it would be a win for the 18L for cruising stability. Don't you agree?

18L is 18kg (somewhere between 18 and 19 probably) according to their official datasheet.

A Tesla is reported to be 42lbs (ewheels dot com) which with my calculations (carry the four) puts it at 19kg.

So is it the weight of the wheel that contributes most to cruising stability or is it the tire size? I'm confused...

/a

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

Have you checked the specs? They may be inaccurate but still... got me thinking. Besides even if they are the same (which they appear not to be) it would be a win for the 18L for cruising stability. Don't you agree?

18L is 18kg (somewhere between 18 and 19 probably) according to their official datasheet.

A Tesla is reported to be 42lbs (ewheels dot com) which with my calculations (carry the four) puts it at 19kg.

So is it the weight of the wheel that contributes most to cruising stability or is it the tire size? I'm confused...

/a

The Tesla 1020wh used by Speedyfeet in his youtube upload weighed 18.99 kilograms to be precise. 

There are are lighter versions of the Tesla such as the 850wh, 680wh and 425wh which will weigh below 18 Kilograms. 

KS18L weight is 21.6 kg.

poids.thumb.jpg.64791bf129f7b12e59c3c2d5f2812bf5.jpg

Thank you very much Eddeus!

So it's 4kg lighter than a 1600wh msuper.

2,5kg heavier than a Tesla. (same battery capacity)

18x2.5inch tire like an msuper.

That didn't clearly make it in favor of the Tesla. 

One question remains unanswered though. Do you think it's the weight or the tire size that mostly contributes to cruise speed stability? Hmm...

my Tesla and v8 have the same size wheel, the tesla's ride beats me much less.  I think its mostly weight that contributes to ride although I heard replacing the v8 tire makes it better.  More weight less agile but after riding my Tesla for so long I find the v8 to be too edgy

I ride a 16S with a 2.5” tire. I’d never go back to the skinny 2.125” because of how much nicer the fattie handles rough and soft patches on dirt roads and off-road. If I were to ride on pavement only, I wouldn’t have an issue with the narrow tire, even at speed.

Archived