Jump to content

GW Electronics Safety Improvements


Jason McNeil

Recommended Posts

There's some encouraging developments with electrical safety improvements from Gotway; thanks to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love suggestion of the anti-spark connector, I insisted that our next batch of Wheels be fitted with this type of connector. The part is widely available & inexpensive, will hopefully make the accidents that occurred to @Rehab1, @Scott Henley a thing of the past  

uc?export=view&id=1A-D_kO3W7WKllW2S6ibhQ

Charging ports will also be fitted with a reverse diode. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xmU6jgtRL2kTZn7r9

WARNING: Linnea tells me that these improvements will only be fitted if requested. If you receive a new GW Wheel, just because it is new, do not risk putting your keys against the pins to test if the reverse-charging PCB has been installed, it probably hasn't been & then you'll need a new connector, or worse....  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

There's some encouraging developments with electrical safety improvements from Gotway; thanks to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love suggestion of the anti-spark connector, I insisted that our next batch of Wheels be fitted with this type of connector. The part is widely available & inexpensive, will hopefully make the accidents that occurred to @Rehab1, @Scott Henley a thing of the past  

uc?export=view&id=1A-D_kO3W7WKllW2S6ibhQ

Charging ports will also be fitted with a reverse diode. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xmU6jgtRL2kTZn7r9

WARNING: Linnea tells me that these improvements will only be fitted if requested. If you receive a new GW Wheel, just because it is new, do not risk putting your keys against the pins to test if the reverse-charging PCB has been installed, it probably hasn't been & then you'll need a new connector, or worse....  

Fantastic.

I wonder what's the reluctance to making it standard on all of their wheels?

So this is basically an EWheels only feature :thumbup:  It's nice that they listen to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone who previously wouldn't have considered a Gotway wheel, the recent improvements have caused me to re-evaluate my stance and now I'm open to the idea of owning one of their (newer/revised) wheels in the future!  

Customers pay attention!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

WARNING: Linnea tells me that these improvements will only be fitted if requested. If you receive a new GW Wheel, just because it is new, do not risk putting your keys against the pins to test if the reverse-charging PCB has been installed, it probably hasn't been & then you'll need a new connector, or worse....  

Ugh...You actually have customers that would purposely short out the pins to confirm the reverse diode modification was installed? :facepalm: Not very smart!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:thumbup:  Yay!  @TremF also had the connector explosion too so it is happening out there.  It seems like a no brainer if you ever need to reconnect high voltage/current batteries.  The live charge port has always been a safety issue I think.  Luckily we haven't heard too many accident reports regarding it.  Imagine a little kid with wet fingers from sucking on them popping off the port cover and touching the little prongs inside.  I dread the day that happens when it could have been easily prevented...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Imagine a little kid with wet fingers from sucking on them popping off the port cover and touching the little prongs inside.  I dread the day that happens when it could have been easily prevented...

Add Children Protection Services to your resume. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Ugh...You actually have customers that would purposely short out the pins to confirm the reverse diode modification was installed? :facepalm: Not very smart!

Use your tongue... It's like a 9 volt battery, only bigger.   :blink1:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mezzanine said:

As someone who previously wouldn't have considered a Gotway wheel, the recent improvements have caused me to re-evaluate my stance and now I'm open to the idea of owning one of their (newer/revised) wheels in the future!  

Customers pay attention!  

Same here! I recently changed my z10 preorder to the msuper x after seeing all of these improvements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

There's some encouraging developments with electrical safety improvements from Gotway; thanks to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love suggestion of the anti-spark connector, I insisted that our next batch of Wheels be fitted with this type of connector. The part is widely available & inexpensive, will hopefully make the accidents that occurred to @Rehab1, @Scott Henley a thing of the past  

uc?export=view&id=1A-D_kO3W7WKllW2S6ibhQ

Charging ports will also be fitted with a reverse diode. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xmU6jgtRL2kTZn7r9

WARNING: Linnea tells me that these improvements will only be fitted if requested. If you receive a new GW Wheel, just because it is new, do not risk putting your keys against the pins to test if the reverse-charging PCB has been installed, it probably hasn't been & then you'll need a new connector, or worse....  

You're going to have to start shipping worldwide now jason!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I welcome these improvements too. I habe Bad a big Explosion too, it was my fault oft course. In a New delivered Tesla i have measured the voltage in the charging port (very Bad idea) and have shortened +and - die to tremble fingers :-). So fitted a t-Plug AS New charge port because the original melted crazy. But then i measured again and there was no voltage any More (oh no the Brand New wheel is dead?) after this shock i habe stripped down the whole wheel and found a small black connector From one battery to the mainboard where inside this one oft two Pins was also melted down. After 4 hours i have driven the wheel and am glad that it seems no Further damage is occured (but think it was not too good for the batterys? ). Bad experience but learned for the future :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Jason McNeil Are the Gotway wheels the only ones that deal with this issue?  Do King Song or Inmotion have this problem?  I feel like I personally can avoid this type of thing happening , but you never know with kids.   My youngest is 7 and doesn’t mess with things too much, but it makes me cringe to think of something like this happening while I wasn’t around.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sketch said:

@Jason McNeil Are the Gotway wheels the only ones that deal with this issue?  Do King Song or Inmotion have this problem?  

Inmotion & KS have always had reverse diodes installed, it's a characteristic GW trait.

Downside is that now it's going to be more difficult converting your 1600Wh ACM as a DIY home UPS. 

5 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

@Bobwheel Will InMotion get on the anti-spark connector train? I was nervous when I did my first routine safety check of my V8 and would have been more comfortable with these fitted.

Amount of surge-spark is related to the size of capacitor(s), KS 18S's have some bite, but no instances of the charred fingers yet, believe the same holds true on the Inmotions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2018 at 1:21 PM, fryman said:

GW needs to strive for excellence and fix this safety issue along with adding mandatory tiltback when the wheel has met its maximum output ability.

problem is when the wheel is at its maximum and it tiltback the tiltback is basically going to overpower it since its at max

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shad0z said:

problem is when the wheel is at its maximum and it tiltback the tiltback is basically going to overpower it since its at max

At the maximum every little additional burden will overpower the wheel by definition - if it's a bump, a wind gust or a tiltback. One needs a reserve to safely overcome some not foreseeable events

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...