ACM2 Quirks/Concerns [Questions]

Just got an ACM2, and noticed a two odd things about it and was curious if it's normal:

1. When setting tiltback on WheelLog to, for example, 33kph, the wheel seems to tilt back the second I start moving past walking speed. I can't get it to go as fast as normal. When I go to the Gotway app and set tiltback to 33kph, it works as it should.

2. When I start approaching about 19mph, the wheel starts wobbling quite a bit and I have to slow down to maintain control. Is this just me and my technique causing this, wind buffeting, or something to do with the wheel or tire?

Thanks,

Joe

I haven't noticed the tilt-back idiosyncrasy since I ride with it off.  Obviously it's an issue with the app not the wheel.

Wobbles are a phenomenon of the rider not the wheel. Wind and surface condition can exacerbate the problem. 19-mph is certainly not fast for this wheel,  but it may be fast for you. You may be tensing up and/or squeezing the wheel which can lead to wobbles.

We all get the wobbles  periodically. Your case though, as you describe it, seems to be riding technique related.

2 hours ago, Joe Holliday said:

Just got an ACM2, and noticed a two odd things about it and was curious if it's normal:

1. When setting tiltback on WheelLog to, for example, 33kph, the wheel seems to tilt back the second I start moving past walking speed. I can't get it to go as fast as normal. When I go to the Gotway app and set tiltback to 33kph, it works as it should.

2. When I start approaching about 19mph, the wheel starts wobbling quite a bit and I have to slow down to maintain control. Is this just me and my technique causing this, wind buffeting, or something to do with the wheel or tire?

Thanks,

Joe

i finally fixed the wobbles that just started out of the blue on my 9bot1s2. i deflated the tire, cleaned the bead with a paint brush, applied dawn soap in water to the bead and re-inflated. so far, i’m good now. 2nd day. i never had learner wobbles like people talk about. one time on my ks16s i had my feet to far rearward and experienced a slight wobble at speed. 

35 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i finally fixed the wobbles that just started out of the blue on my 9bot1s2. i deflated the tire, cleaned the bead with a paint brush, applied dawn soap in water to the bead and re-inflated. so far, i’m good now. 2nd day. i never had learner wobbles like people talk about. one time on my ks16s i had my feet to far rearward and experienced a slight wobble at speed. 

It should be noted that Joe is experiencing high-speed wobbles, something not possible on the S2. I don't know if you've done much riding yet in the 20-mph and above range, but at those speeds wobbles are always a possibility.

Interesting to see how you fixed your low-speed wobble issue.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It should be noted that Joe is experiencing high-speed wobbles, something not possible on the S2. I don't know if you've done much riding yet in the 20-mph and above range, but at those speeds wobbles are always a possibility.

Interesting to see how you fixed your low-speed wobble issue.

wait a minute, who made u judge a jury on high speed? 15 mph isn’t high (i actually broke thru 15 mph today on the s2 and no, not because Bob was dragging me) speed but 19mph is? yeah i have a ks18s and no i don’t generally go that fast because i’m not very good at suiting up like u but i have hit tiltback on my ks16s which is 22mph i think and idk how fast i’ve gone on my 18s(did finally order a pebble watch so i can be cool too, hope i can figure out how to make it work) but never had wobbles. 

might be a gotway thing.

btw, after watching ur trail riding on those rough trails, almost as rough as my pastures, i’m gonna be real curious to see how the big tire 9bot fares. i’m thinking because of the larger footprint, it might not be that great for u or me. 

9 minutes ago, novazeus said:

wait a minute, who made u judge a jury on high speed? 15 mph isn’t high (i actually broke thru 15 mph today on the s2 and no, not because Bob was dragging me) speed but 19mph is? yeah i have a ks18s and no i don’t generally go that fast because i’m not very good at suiting up like u but i have hit tiltback on my ks16s which is 22mph i think and idk how fast i’ve gone on my 18s(did finally order a pebble watch so i can be cool too, hope i can figure out how to make it work) but never had wobbles. 

might be a gotway thing.

btw, after watching ur trail riding on those rough trails, almost as rough as my pastures, i’m gonna be real curious to see how the big tire 9bot fares. i’m thinking because of the larger footprint, it might not be that great for u or me. 

I missed the smilies that you intended on inserting here ;), but I hope you're not actually affronted by my assertion that 15-mph is not high speed :confused1:

Like I say, I've experienced plenty of wobbles in my riding, but never at the fall-asleep-speed of 15-mph :P  You're a better rider than me (could very well be true - I'm average) if when riding in the 20+ mph speed envelop you don't develop wobbles periodically.

I can say that getting severe wobbles at 20-mph can put the fear of God in you :cry2:

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I can say that getting severe wobbles at 20-mph can put the fear of God in you :cry2:

Fear of God and one’s wife!  :furious:

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I missed the smilies that you intended on inserting here ;), but I hope you're not actually affronted by my assertion that 15-mph is not high speed :confused1:

Like I say, I've experienced plenty of wobbles in my riding, but never at the fall-asleep-speed of 15-mph :P  You're a better rider than me (could very well be true - I'm average) if when riding in the 20+ mph speed envelop you don't develop wobbles periodically.

i don’t use those things. i figure smart people can figure out thru my words if it’s tongue in cheek.

like i said, i don’t suit up when i ride, so i keep the speed to a survivable impact speed(or so i think)when i do my little driveway runs. but no, i’ve yet to experience wobbles at speeds faster than 15 mph, and that i know now for sure was the tire seating. it would start at about 11mph all the way to tiltback. my ks16s and my still locked down to 25mph(because i’m not at 200km yet and still waiting for a aftermarket brick charger since i smoked both of the kingsong ones)haven’t shown any signs of wobbles at that speed. 

but yeah, for where i ride, i’m ok at riding. pretty good at braking. i can dismount ugly and pretty ok. as long as free mounting isn’t part of the competition or riding backwards(i have zero interest in that).

taking Bob on my euc trip today was monumental. that can really put the fear of God in u. Bob for some weird reason likes to rough house on the return home, so i’ve got Bob jumping on his hind legs, mouth agape looking for action.

i’ll take ur word for it that wobbles occur periodically above 20mph, not just on gotways. i don’t ever intend to spend much time above 20mph. 

2 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i don’t use those things. i figure smart people can figure out thru my words if it’s tongue in cheek.

like i said, i don’t suit up when i ride, so i keep the speed to a survivable impact speed(or so i think)when i do my little driveway runs. but no, i’ve yet to experience wobbles at speeds faster than 15 mph, and that i know now for sure was the tire seating. it would start at about 11mph all the way to tiltback. my ks16s and my still locked down to 25mph(because i’m not at 200km yet and still waiting for a aftermarket brick charger since i smoked both of the kingsong ones)haven’t shown any signs of wobbles at that speed. 

but yeah, for where i ride, i’m ok at riding. pretty good at braking. i can dismount ugly and pretty ok. as long as free mounting isn’t part of the competition or riding backwards(i have zero interest in that).

taking Bob on my euc trip today was monumental. that can really put the fear of God in u. Bob for some weird reason likes to rough house on the return home, so i’ve got Bob jumping on his hind legs, mouth agape looking for action.

i’ll take ur word for it that wobbles occur periodically above 20mph, not just on gotways. i don’t ever intend to spend much time above 20mph. 

You talk a lot about intentions (riding backwards, 20mph, etc), but as you continue down your journey, like most interests, you'll start wanting to see what's on the other side of the hill, metaphorically speaking. Soon you'll be asking Forum members what's the best helmet for riding above 25-mph :D

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You talk a lot about intentions (riding backwards, 20mph, etc), but as you continue down your journey, like most interests, you'll start wanting to see what's on the other side of the hill, metaphorically speaking. Soon you'll be asking Forum members what's the best helmet for riding above 25-mph :D

nope. That would be dangerous for Bob. plus because of my physical demands of running a 325 acre cattle ranch by myself, i can’t risk being like @Rehab1. it has been challenging enough to sneak away from Bob for a few minutes each day to learn this shit and having to juggle taking my medicine (cannabis oil extract). 

u wanna see what’s on the other side of the hill? take about a grain of rice size squirt of cannabis oil and try to ride one of ur wheels. please do a video. trust me, it’s good for u. google “endocannabinoid system”.

i’m kidding about trying to ride ur wheels. u won’t. it’s not at all like smoking or vaping weed. even though it’s great for ur body, i’ve never met anybody that likes to take it, including myself. of course according to the medical marijuana doctors prescribing it in florida, i was taking 70 days worth daily. my last psa test this month was 0.7 though.

i will learn how to free mount a wheel though, no matter how much i bruise my ankles. i’m lazy and the alternative would be put fence posts along my road. that’s why i did the little s2 today in case i had to lug it if Bob’s and mine trip went bad today.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just hope you don't get wobbles when riding near a truck @Joe Holliday

i’ve experienced that before. that is called tank slap. only  once. i didn’t go down and mine was a slower speed but more vicious. my bike had a steering damper on it, so when i got home i immediately set it to the hardest setting. that’s what happens when the front tire leaves pavement and re-engages pavement slightly askew. i suppose an euc could experience that too by re-engaging terrain with the tire spinning in a different direction than inertia was traveling. it sucks. that isn’t the type of wobble my s2 had. tire wasn’t true. this kind of wobble is riding initiated. i’ve had momentary wobbles while riding euc’s. and yeah if u were hauling ass and got a wobble, just like a motorcycle u are probably going down. it was a miracle i didn’t go down on my one and only tank slap. another good reason not to go fast. 

that’s a good video. i could feel exactly how that guy felt when he scrambled to the shoulder and declared “i’m alive”. kinda what i did after i tired out my 1500 pound pet bull by him rolling me like a beach ball across the pasture for 200’.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:48 PM, Marty Backe said:

I haven't noticed the tilt-back idiosyncrasy since I ride with it off.  Obviously it's an issue with the app not the wheel.

Wobbles are a phenomenon of the rider not the wheel. Wind and surface condition can exacerbate the problem. 19-mph is certainly not fast for this wheel,  but it may be fast for you. You may be tensing up and/or squeezing the wheel which can lead to wobbles.

We all get the wobbles  periodically. Your case though, as you describe it, seems to be riding technique related.

Thanks for the advice. One other thing I've noticed is my Pebble watch is vibrating at only around 7mph even though my first alarm is set for 30kph (~18mph). Temp looks good and battery isn't dropping more than a few percent when accelerating (currently at 98%), but constantly getting a warning vibration from my Pebble 2 watch (WheelLog app) at low speeds.  Do you know what would cause this?

2 hours ago, Joe Holliday said:

Thanks for the advice. One other thing I've noticed is my Pebble watch is vibrating at only around 7mph even though my first alarm is set for 30kph (~18mph). Temp looks good and battery isn't dropping more than a few percent when accelerating (currently at 98%), but constantly getting a warning vibration from my Pebble 2 watch (WheelLog app) at low speeds.  Do you know what would cause this?

You have to configure the watch speed alarms (which have nothing to do with the Gotway wheel alarms (1, 2, and 3).

I explained it here. Maybe read some of the preceding posts in the thread too. Let me know if this doesn't help

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You have to configure the watch speed alarms (which have nothing to do with the Gotway wheel alarms (1, 2, and 3).

I explained it here. Maybe read some of the preceding posts in the thread too. Let me know if this doesn't help

Thanks!  I read through it, and set my Wheellog app as follows: Alarm 1 (35kph, 100% batt), Alarm 2 (40kph, 100% batt), Alarm 3 (50kph, 100% batt), current and temp alarms default (35A and 60 degrees C), but I'm getting the same thing.  The pattern I'm noticing is 6 buzzes of the Pebble in quick succession, multiple times when accelerating.  Seems to happen above 6-7mph(~10kph), and happens at random when riding at higher speeds too below 18mph/29kph.  I've been monitoring the pebble when this happens, and the battery hasn't dropped below 95% and the temp still looks good (20-30C when starting, never gets hotter than 45C when riding for an extended period of time).

21 minutes ago, Joe Holliday said:

Thanks!  I read through it, and set my Wheellog app as follows: Alarm 1 (35kph, 100% batt), Alarm 2 (40kph, 100% batt), Alarm 3 (50kph, 100% batt), current and temp alarms default (35A and 60 degrees C), but I'm getting the same thing.  The pattern I'm noticing is 6 buzzes of the Pebble in quick succession, multiple times when accelerating.  Seems to happen above 6-7mph(~10kph), and happens at random when riding at higher speeds too below 18mph/29kph.  I've been monitoring the pebble when this happens, and the battery hasn't dropped below 95% and the temp still looks good (20-30C when starting, never gets hotter than 45C when riding for an extended period of time).

It's most likely your current alarm. The ACM will draw 35-amps when you sneeze :D

I have mine set at 90-amps. The watch will buzz when I start to accelerate under tough conditions (e.g., up a hill), when traveling fairly fast and I hit a bump, etc. Seems to be a great value to use. Tells me when the motor is under particularly heavy strain.

Not sure why you have all three alarms active at the same 100% value. I assume this means that you want the watch to buzz when you exceed 35kph. The 40 and 50 settings have zero affect. What's your intent with those three settings?

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It's most likely your current alarm. The ACM will draw 35-amps when you sneeze :D

I have mine set at 90-amps. The watch will buzz when I start to accelerate under tough conditions (e.g., up a hill), when traveling fairly fast and I hit a bump, etc. Seems to be a great value to use. Tells me when the motor is under particularly heavy strain.

Not sure why you have all three alarms active at the same 100% value. I assume this means that you want the watch to buzz when you exceed 35kph. The 40 and 50 settings have zero affect. What's your intent with those three settings?

Yay, increasing the Current alarm fixed it!  Thanks for the help!  :) 

Regarding the battery alarms, I'm not really sure what I was going for.  Honestly, I didn't fully understand the purpose of the battery % setting so I just set them to 100%.

44 minutes ago, Joe Holliday said:

Yay, increasing the Current alarm fixed it!  Thanks for the help!  :) 

Regarding the battery alarms, I'm not really sure what I was going for.  Honestly, I didn't fully understand the purpose of the battery % setting so I just set them to 100%.

I'll try and rephrase what I wrote in the referenced post above.

Pretend that you do the following:

• 1st Alarm: 40kph at 100%
  • 2nd Alarm: 30kph at 50%
  • 3rd Alarm: 20kph at 20%

This means that when the battery level is between 50% and 100%, your watch will buzz when you exceed 40-kph. This is the maximum speed that you've chosen to ever ride at.

From 20% to 50% (lower battery, better to not ride quite so fast) you've decided to have the watch buzz when you exceed 30-kph.

And when your battery is below 20%, limit your speed to 20-kph.

So, when you set a battery percentage, WheelLog interprets that to mean this particular alarm is active whenever the battery is at or below the specified battery level.

If you want to disable a WheelLog alarm, set the battery percentage to 0. For example, I only use two alarms so my 3rd is set to 0 (battery can never get to zero, so the alarm is effectively off).

It's not intuitive, but hopefully this helps.

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll try and rephrase what I wrote in the referenced post above.

Pretend that you do the following:

• 1st Alarm: 40kph at 100%
  • 2nd Alarm: 30kph at 50%
  • 3rd Alarm: 20kph at 20%

This means that when the battery level is between 50% and 100%, your watch will buzz when you exceed 40-kph. This is the maximum speed that you've chosen to ever ride at.

From 20% to 50% (lower battery, better to not ride quite so fast) you've decided to have the watch buzz when you exceed 30-kph.

And when your battery is below 20%, limit your speed to 20-kph.

So, when you set a battery percentage, WheelLog interprets that to mean this particular alarm is active whenever the battery is at or below the specified battery level.

If you want to disable a WheelLog alarm, set the battery percentage to 0. For example, I only use two alarms so my 3rd is set to 0 (battery can never get to zero, so the alarm is effectively off).

It's not intuitive, but hopefully this helps.

@Marty Backe Thanks for your explanation on how to correctly set the alarms. I too recently got a Pebble Steel on your recommendation and have to say how amazing it has been to use in conjunction with Wheellog. It will now be a permanent addition to my riding gear since I was able to mount it on my wrist guard. For anyone using Wheellog, I think it is an essential purchase and makes a great app even better. Thanks again for passing on the knowledge Marty.

12 minutes ago, fbhb said:

@Marty Backe Thanks for your explanation on how to correctly set the alarms. I too recently got a Pebble Steel on your recommendation and have to say how amazing it has been to use in conjunction with Wheellog. It will now be a permanent addition to my riding gear since I was able to mount it on my wrist guard. For anyone using Wheellog, I think it is an essential purchase and makes a great app even better. Thanks again for passing on the knowledge Marty.

Glad you like. It's part of my essential riding gear and it makes me happy when other people discover its usefulness too :)

Yes Marty, I too have also ordered a Pebble watch, mainly for the vibration function when I reach a certain speed, I think it's essential for peace of mind as sometimes we may not always hear the beeps coming from the wheel.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 2:48 AM, Marty Backe said:

i never get any wobbles :confused1:

Archived