Have you though of getting an Ebike instead?

yourtoys7

I have... safety is number one of course. If/ when the battery cuts down, you WILL NOT fall face forward (: and you can still paddle to your destination. It just looks like another bike, you're not bagging for attention or (Cool factor). ECU is more portable and yes, longer battery. On a bike you do get some exercises and you do sit on you bum all the time = resting :)

I've been thinking about it, going back and forth..

I though about it and dismissed for two reasons. 

1. In my country and my city bikes are stolen all the time. More expensive = more likely to be stolen and no lock is gonna help. So I wouldn't be able to take it to most places I need it for.

2. After initial learning, EUC feels so intuitive and natural to ride. It is almost like an extension of my body. There is really nothing like it. Bicycle feels so boring in comparison. 

I am at this point too an have been looking at the Tern Vektron S10 (and the cheaper P9 being released this year). More expensive than an EUC for sure but almost as portable when not in use thanks to the folding frame. My reasons are like yours...safety and exercise. I used to cycle to work everyday and since getting the EUC my fitness has suffered. I also can't use my trailer with my EUC so the dog doesn't get to come into the office anywhere near as often as before.

I also like the look of the Trek Super Commuter+ S8. Insanely expensive at $5k but with a top assisted speed of 28mph you have basically got a vehicle that replaces a car without the constant spectre of death or disability looking over your shoulder.

1 minute ago, WARPed1701D said:

I am at this point too an have been looking at the Tern Vektron S10 (and the cheaper P9 being released this year). More expensive than an EUC for sure but almost as portable when not in use thanks to the folding frame. My reasons are like yours...safety and exercise. I used to cycle to work everyday and since getting the EUC my fitness has suffered. I also can't use my trailer with my EUC so the dog doesn't get to come into the office anywhere near as often as before.

I also like the look of the Trek Super Commuter+ S8. Insanely expensive at $5k but with a top assisted speed of 28mph you have basically got a vehicle that replaces a car without the constant spectre of death or disability looking over your shoulder.

I have looked at same bike as well and Specialized Turbo Vado, around 4-5000, but like I said before, safety and to be able to sit is major.

Just now, yourtoys7 said:

I have looked at same bike as well and Specialized Turbo Vado, around 4-5000, but like I said before, safety and to be able to sit is major.

While pricey, if you think about it it isn't inanely out the ball pack vs a large EUC (say a Monster) and I would undoubtedly keep a Bosch powered eBike longer than a typical EUC. That would help even the cost out. Some of the newer eBikes accept a second battery as well giving you around 1000Wh. Combined with a small amount of effort from yourself that will get a loooooong way.

I've thought about it.   My brother in law has a specialized ebike.   Its FUUN to ride.   It only give the wheel power when peddle so it has a muscle amplifying effect.    Basically, it makes you feel like superman because when you push hard on the peddles, it pushes hard, when you push soft, it pushes soft... but every peddle gives a little juice.    You can hit 28mph so fast.

That said, its pricey and still not as fun over time.   It feels like riding a bike after you get over the superman feeling.

Until last summer I still had the pushbike I got second hand at the age of 17. It’s longevity was a direct result of it being a nuisance to keep anywhere convenient so it got buried in the shed at the bottom of the garden and never used.

The EUC, on the other hand sits behind the front door out of the way and ready to grab and go.

20 minutes ago, Juick said:

In my country and my city bikes are stolen all the time.

Funny @Juick said that, I started to take the bike apart to take it to the municipal tip when I got a better idea, pumped the tires up, rode it around to the bike racks at my nearby railway station and it was gone in less than an hour - cobwebs and all ?.

Because a) my wife wont consider an EUC and b) the legal problems and c) we are about to move to somewhere scenic and hilly (the Pennines https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennines we are seriously considering getting a couple of electric bikes to take rides out into the countryside - perhaps we might just buy one and I’ll use my EUC as electric bikes are limited to 15MPH/ 250W motor so the KS-14C will cruise quite happily with it.

I have a buddy on the sales side of Trek e-bikes and loaned me one to try. They are really, really cool and if you can afford one buy one. 

My primary concern is the speed you can achieve will confuse cars.  I was driving yesterday and saw a bike a ways back in my rear view, looked away, looked in rear view a few seconds later and the guy was all over my bumper at 20/25 mph on a flat road ... in his Jets jersey, no helmet and cargo shorts!  That surprised me.  He actually ended up passing me (I caught red lights) and when I saw him again it was obvious he was a food delivery guy.  I thought that was a great way to use an e-bike.

Keep your eyes peeled and head on a swivel when riding it on the road and you should be a-ok.  

As for reliability I expect it will be similar to the euc - hit and miss with first generations being for early adopters who understand the challenge and subsequent releases improving significantly.

E-bikes main appeal where I live is that they are totally legal including models with throttles. The down-side for me is I am a apartment dweller and only folding models would be practical in terms of fitting in the elevator and in the apartment. At 6' 4+ inches and 240 lbs those within my budget can't handle my size. Even the more expensive models are marginal and if I was to spend $4000 on a transport vehicle it would be a Yamaha scooter and not a e-bike. If legal here I would buy and electric kick type scooter like those sold by eWheels. and others. They fold more compactly than e-bikes and depending on design can be trolled into buildings like luggage. E-bikes have to be locked outside where they will be vulnerable to theft. I have an adult size kick scooter which I use to use for exercise and commuting sometimes, but my recent move to a hilly area has left it sitting dormant. As far as safety is concern, two things come to mine. Philadelphia is one of the most bike friendly cities in the country in terms of trails and bike lanes, Riding on the sidewalks. therefore, draws immediate negative attention, so bikes stick to the bike lanes and streets where danger lurks everyday for every mile. If one does have a mishap on a bike you are falling from a significant height when you hit the ground usually wearing no protection other than a helmet. I can ride 8.5 miles to work on my EUC using only sidewalks and bike trails, never being in the street except to cross at intersections.

I also don't like the extra maintenance of using a bike (chain, brakes, gears, etc.). All of the above not withstanding I think if I lived in a house with room for a full-size bike, I would have an e-bike. The only question then is would I also have and EUC and I think yes.

4 minutes ago, Jerome said:

E-bikes main appeal where I live is that they are totally legal including models with throttles. The down-side for me is I am a apartment dweller and only folding models would be practical in terms of fitting in the elevator and in the apartment. At 6' 4+ inches and 240 lbs those within my budget can't handle my size. Even the more expensive models are marginal and if I was to spend $4000 on a transport vehicle it would be a Yamaha scooter and not a e-bike. If legal here I would buy and electric kick type scooter like those sold by eWheels. and others. They fold more compactly than e-bikes and depending on design can be trolled into buildings like luggage. E-bikes have to be locked outside where they will be vulnerable to theft. I have an adult size kick scooter which I use to use for exercise and commuting sometimes, but my recent move to a hilly area has left it sitting dormant. As far as safety is concern, two things come to mine. Philadelphia is one of the most bike friendly cities in the country in terms of trails and bike lanes, Riding on the sidewalks. therefore, draws immediate negative attention, so bikes stick to the bike lanes and streets where danger lurks everyday for every mile. If one does have a mishap on a bike you are falling from a significant height when you hit the ground usually wearing no protection other than a helmet. I can ride 8.5 miles to work on my EUC using only sidewalks and bike trails, never being in the street except to cross at intersections.

I also don't like the extra maintenance of using a bike (chain, brakes, gears, etc.). All of the above not withstanding I think if I lived in a house with room for a full-size bike, I would have an e-bike. The only question then is would I also have and EUC and I think yes.

The Reese and Muller Tinker NuVinci is a partially folding eBike that has in hub gearing and a belt drive system rather than chain. It also has the Bosch CX mid-drive motor which is designed to give extra power for hills and heavier riders. Ticks most/all of your boxes however it is in the price band of the Yamaha scooter you mentioned.

We have this Project X arriving in the next 3-4 weeks: 

• Weighs only 33lb, with the battery!
  • Italian Designed, really quite beautiful, available in Black, White, & Red
  • Easiest/fastest folding eBike that exists anywhere, 4 seconds to fold
  • Trolley wheels 
  • 250W motor & 230Wh battery pack 
  • Max speed of 20MPH 
  • Battery is integrated into the frame, takes 20 seconds to swap it out
  • 4 levels of torque assist (output is automatically adjusted by defined Rider's effort) 
  • Adjustable seat & handlebar 
  • Front disc brake 
  • Light fixture feeds off the main battery 
  • Battery can be charged independently of the bike
  • There will be a special version of the battery that is compatible with flying regulations, e.g. can be taken on a plane
  • Front & Rear fenders (standard)
  • Kickstand (standard)
  • Memory foam seat (optional) 
  • Travel bag (optional)
  • For the first 20 sales, introductory pricing of $999 

uc?export=view&id=1anObEudASSwCvBsdSiQ5U

I was going to talk about my recent e-bike (kit) order, but I didn't want to overshadow @Jason McNeil latest product announcement... :efefb6a84e:

I considered e-scooters and e-bikes before taking the euc route, but (If anything) I was leaning more towards e-scooter (before becoming entranced by electric unicycles). :efeeec645d:

Took my (regular) bike to a path for exercise the other day... Saw some guy on an e-skateboard and thought that was cool. No gear or anything, but he was flying (seemed like 20+ mph). Meanwhile, I'm still wearing protective gear while pedaling less than 10 mph (was getting tired). Hardly anyone in Florida even bothers to wear a helmet... but I digress (what was my point?).

Oh, yeah. The path is a few miles away and it would be nice to have a little boost getting there and on the way back after I get tired... I like e-bikes (had a kit years ago) and you can get some exercise, but I don't think this is their biggest selling point. Way back when I had my last e-bike, it had limited range and a very tempting throttle control... So tempting in fact, I didn't get much exercise unless I ran out of charge (which happened way too often). Batteries are better now and I ordered a kit for my bike to complement my wheel, but certainly not to replace it... :efefd8a002:

2 hours ago, Holt said:

My primary concern is the speed you can achieve will confuse cars

It's actually better with traffic you get less honks, people don't fly by you as fast, people seem to care less when you're on the road going closer to their speeds.

I bought EUC because my electric mountain bike got stolen. That is the biggest negative on bikes. They will get stolen at some point. You can’t take them inside. EUC is much better than e-bike. I can take it with me to tram or bus and It will follow me to my work or under the table at local bar. 

Plus EUC is so much more fun. You cannot stress that enough. I have no desire to buy another e-bike after riding EUC for some months. And I don’t feel less safe on a wheel.

I used ebikes for last 20 years. I used them for commuting. The first was the Lee Iacocca ev-global bike. The bike was very nice by that times standard: 350W, cruise control, front and back brake lights and lead battery. Later his bike company folded after he had to recall bikes with li-batteries. at that time, the lithium battery pack do not have BMS. After that I used an ebike from ebay, lasted only one year, then I got an optibike, which I am still using. 

In summary, I would say that ebikes are very practical for commuting purpose, because you will not sweat much arriving office, and you can do it every day. Comparing to EUC, It is safer as you rarely fall off from bikes, can take tough terain, ride in the night. The cons are that ebikes are not very novel and fun compare to EUC. If you use a mid drive bike, you have more maintainance to do: changing chain,  chain ring and  cassette every one or two years and battery every 3-4 years. The battery pack in ebike lives shorter because you cannot take the bike into a temperature controlled room easily. Also, the form factor, the inconvenience of putting ebike on a bus makes EUC look a lot better. 

I bought mid drive ebike because I have some stiff incline to climb. But, I found recent hub motor driven ebikes can do as well.

Anyway, I want BOTH ebikes and EUCs, because they are not substitutes for each other.

2 hours ago, EUCMania said:

I used ebikes for last 20 years. I used them for commuting. The first was the Lee Iacocca ev-global bike. The bike was very nice by that times standard: 350W, cruise control, front and back brake lights and lead battery. Later his bike company folded after he had to recall bikes with li-batteries. at that time, the lithium battery pack do not have BMS.

I had an early 24v model that was a pedelec with no throttle. I followed that with a Currie E-bike. I have thousands of commuting miles with E-bikes and less than 200 miles with a EUC, but I feel the EUC is a better commuter vehicle for me. I don't feel I will fall on my EUC commuting to work and home as a matter of course and I actually fear falling from the height of a bike more. The E-bike does have one big advantage and that is it's ability to carry cargo. With a EUC you have only a back-pack. Having both is ideal as a car replacement. 

16 minutes ago, Jerome said:

I had an early 24v model that was a pedelec with no throttle. I followed that with a Currie E-bike. I have thousands of commuting miles with E-bikes and less than 200 miles with a EUC, but I feel the EUC is a better commuter vehicle for me. I don't feel I will fall on my EUC commuting to work and home as a matter of course and I actually fear falling from the height of a bike more. The E-bike does have one big advantage and that is it's ability to carry cargo. With a EUC you have only a back-pack. Having both is ideal as a car replacement. 

Agree: have both.

But, ebiks' prices in bike store now are like crazy, $3k -$6k. However, I find some nice looking models selling on Amazon/ebay is just $700. Do not know the quality of those $700 models. Do not know if there is a forum reviewing these ebikes.  Probably that we can open a forum area devoted to ebikes. This way, more ebike people, who are more likely to buy EUCs, will be informed about EUCs, and vice versa, and the forum will attract more traffics. This is a win-win-win proposal.

I don't know anything about the Amazon/eBay bikes, but I think cross pollination between e-bike, EUC, e-scooter and e-board advocates is a good thing. The Bay Area in Northern CA seems to promote the mixtures of EPMD cutures as do the Boosted Board E-board crew in NYC. eWheels sells three of the four. It won't work with Marty's crew, however, as only e-mountain bikers would be able to ride them insane trails up into dem, dare hills.?

6 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

We have this Project X arriving in the next 3-4 weeks: 

• Weighs only 33lb, with the battery!
  • Italian Designed, really quite beautiful, available in Black, White, & Red
  • Easiest/fastest folding eBike that exists anywhere, 4 seconds to fold
  • Trolley wheels 
  • 250W motor & 230Wh battery pack 
  • Max speed of 20MPH 
  • Battery is integrated into the frame, takes 20 seconds to swap it out
  • 4 levels of torque assist (output is automatically adjusted by defined Rider's effort) 
  • Adjustable seat & handlebar 
  • Front disc brake 
  • Light fixture feeds off the main battery 
  • Battery can be charged independently of the bike
  • There will be a special version of the battery that is compatible with flying regulations, e.g. can be taken on a plane
  • Front & Rear fenders (standard)
  • Kickstand (standard)
  • Memory foam seat (optional) 
  • Travel bag (optional)
  • For the first 20 sales, introductory pricing of $999 

uc?export=view&id=1anObEudASSwCvBsdSiQ5U

What is the size of the wheels and maximum weight load? It looks to be single speed? Is it pedelec only or does it have a throttle?

1 hour ago, Jerome said:

What is the size of the wheels and maximum weight load? It looks to be single speed? Is it pedelec only or does it have a throttle?

It's a 16" bike, similar to the Brompton. There are several elements which are not visible in the photo that will be realized on the final product that's being shipped out to us in two weeks: front disc brakes, fenders, information Dash. 

Before visiting the factory, I did a fair amount of investigation to try to gauge if this Bike has what is takes to have enough broad appeal to be worth the investment/commitment. A similar situation is taking place in eBike world that happen in 2015 with Electric Unicycles, with dozens of inexperienced factories vying for position on the low end of the spectrum. To survive & thrive, manufacturers will need to find a way to differentiate themselves in making products with enough appeal—either through superior specs, quality, unique capabilities and/or in design—in order to become a recognized brand & command a survival margin. This particular Company has an Italian Design bureau & manufacturing in CN, it's single factory is producing 45,000 eBikes a year, with QC & build processes that's as good as you'll find anywhere in the world.   

From my research & testing out a bunch of different folding eBikes, on any sort of weight/features/quality/performance metric, I firmly believe that this model is going to be a winner. Think of the travel market alone, where virtually all PEVs are banned from flights: here you have an unassuming bike that can be checked in (without the battery), & a 148Wh pack in a travel pouch which you can take with you on a plane (or shipped separately); plopped in at the destination, now you have instant transportation at your destination. This is a pretty attractive proposition that can't be matched with Wheels or an Electric Scooter.     

• Manufacturer's max gross weight limit: 130kg
  • Gearing: 3 speed
  • Information Dash: Battery, Speed, Mileage, Power Assists Setting
  • Power Mode: pedelec, no 6kph min EU nonsense

uc?export=view&id=1pdiKSTuS4m2AB4KSQXJMc

1 hour ago, Jerome said:

eWheels sells three of the four.

I personally don't believe in the eSkateboards in the long run: they're too dangerous, fragile, limited range, poor braking, a remote for control(?!). How many Boards has one particular prominent YouTuber gone through as a result of riding in the wet? It's going to be very difficult operating a business where your warranty repair rate approaches 30-50%.

2 hours ago, Jerome said:

I had an early 24v model that was a pedelec with no throttle. I followed that with a Currie E-bike.

2000%20Currie%20Pro-Drive.jpg

I had a Currie US Pro-Drive electric bicycle kit around the turn of the millennium. It had heavy SLA batteries, very limited range without pedaling, and a fairly decent (at the time) 24V 350W motor... It was a blast to commute with in heavily congested West LA traffic, but my cycling friends severely mocked me. <_<

2 hours ago, EUCMania said:

ebiks' prices in bike store now are like crazy, $3k -$6k. However, I find some nice looking models selling on Amazon/ebay is just $700. Do not know the quality of those $700 models.

I know I paid less than $1K back then (probably about $600-$700) but current e-bike prices target enthusiasts who already spend a mint on cycling (in the US)... As for the Amazon/eBay stuff, there are lots of cheap, generic offerings and (like anything else) you take your chances. ?

(I'm hoping to match the promise of that earlier kit with an updated version that uses much lighter and more efficient batteries... ;))

3 hours ago, Jerome said:

The E-bike does have one big advantage and that is it's ability to carry cargo.

I'm more capable of carrying trolleys, wheelbarrow, hand bags and big stuff in a euc. In fact I can carry a bike riding a euc. Can you carry a euc in your bike?

I had a ebike ten years ago. I love his extended range due the mix of electric and human power. That are what I miss more. The second is the off road capacity of the two wheels for climb, downhill, jump and drift. But I prefer the euc because his ergonomic concept (no more back pain due the crouched siting position of bike) the likeness to skating what I love, easy to store in any space and capacity of carry like a luggage. Despite I ride unicycles since 20 year ago

I fitted a conversion kit to my mountain bike and it has been one of the best things I ever bought. 

Its so good that I have just sold my motorbike which I only used for local trips.

it has a 500w motor and 48v 10.5ah battery and will do me for about 30 miles.

The whole kit was about £700 

IMG_1964.PNG

The alternative is electric scooter. Bikes are not direct competitors. They are larger - harder to get into other transport, malls, harder to carry into apartments etc. Even electric scooters are worse, as they are more bulky and folding them is way harder.

Archived