Visual Indicator for Beeper

Roo Williams

Whilst cruising along Manhattan Bridge I'm often triggering the beeper, but can't actually hear it due to wind noise. I've been thinking about a visual indicator for a little while so on a whim last night I decided to hack my Tesla and add one by attaching an LED to the beeper wires.

I rummaged around my electronics box and found a LED and a rubber grommet to fit it in. Glued it in place, drilled a hole in the Tesla shell, fitted the LED and nicked the beeper wires.

A little solder and some insulation tape later I had this:

Immediately I noticed the beeper had even less volume due to the current stolen by the LED... doh! I tried it out this morning and realized that when you're accelerating enough to trigger the beeper, you're probably leaning out over the front and so looking down at this thing is the last thing you want to do. I also don't think this would do great in bright sunlight.

Had additional thoughts on attaching a lazer module instead and have it point to the ground in front of you, giving you a visual cue if there's any issues, and connecting that to the USB power as not to steal from the beeper. Then, to get the signal from the beeper maybe there's a low current relay module that can connect to the beeper wires and close the circuit to the laser module when powered.

If anyone has any thoughts or knowledge of electrical engineering, I'm all ears.

camphoto_1265612338.JPG

This is cool but I'd just get a pebble watch and stick it to your wrist guard. Combined with Wheellog and a cheap android phone you'll get speed readout and alerts for speed, temperature, and overpower events in an easy to access fashion.

Just now, WARPed1701D said:

This is cool but I'd just get a pebble watch and stick it to your wrist guard. Combined with Wheellog and a cheap android phone you'll get speed readout and alerts for speed, temperature, and overpower events in an easy to access fashion.

That is definitely an option, as is using a headset and Gryometric (which I haven't tried yet) but I'm also into the challenge of trying to keep it all self-contained. The vitals readouts is appealing though! Maybe I can find a way to project them on the ground ;)

Archived