New GT18 Wheel Coming

12 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Something very interesting is going on at Rockwheel...

new-project1.thumb.jpg.d58110280bce44c4fd28eb237082c1f9.jpgnew-project2.thumb.jpg.d7bb5d836c07d77b8403ef9f330360f0.jpgnew-project3.thumb.jpg.e85f3d5d055809e51187e9759caab2e2.jpgnew-project4.jpg.45add0637e6457c485687aa9a66f0b77.jpg

Not sure how this relates to the GT18, but as you see some prototype work is going on... This thing looks indestructible!

What can possibly go wrong...once it decide to invite you up for a ballet with you shinlegs after you had to bail wheel in a forced emergency in traffic or a unforseen pothole or speed bump. 

I do feel tuffer than before I started riding EUCs...But I am not sure I like those tubes at a ballet dancing lesson.

My Inmotion V8 did that once. Gave me an extra "kneecap" just above my ankle...for 1.5 months. That evil think ...wound if I will be able to walk afterwards ??

• Upvote 1

The metal version, it may be interesting for some people doing a lot of risky off-road. The padding can be added afterwards by the person as per their preferences (as I always do with my EUCs haha).

I also wonder how would this design change the waterproof matter...

If I find out anything I'll share it here ;)

Looks like they are taking InMotion's concept EUC images and running with it.  Rockwheel's got some cajones!  :thumbup:  That must have taken some work to bend all those pipes, cut and weld them all together.  People, toughen up, to ride something like that just get a pair of Lacrosse shin guards and you're good to go, Madmax style!  :w00t2:  I really like the move to motorcycle tube frame design instead of the traditional toy plastic shell screwed onto two aluminum pedal supports.  With a strong frame this thing should be indestructible and open up some interesting possibilities!  I wonder how much it weighs though :blink:... 

I was thinking of a minimal tubular space frame with some plastic elements bolted on might be better.  This looks like it could support the weight of my car which might not be necessary as it adds to the weight.

maxlax-goalie-shin-guards-cat-3.jpg

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Looks like they are taking InMotion's concept EUC images and running with it.  Rockwheel's got some cajones!  :thumbup:  That must have taken some work to bend all those pipes, cut and weld them all together.  People, toughen up, to ride something like that just get a pair of Lacrosse shin guards and you're good to go, Madmax style!  :w00t2:  I really like the move to motorcycle tube frame design instead of the traditional toy plastic shell screwed onto two aluminum pedal supports.  With a strong frame this thing should be indestructible and open up some interesting possibilities!  I wonder how much it weighs though :blink:... 

I was thinking of a minimal tubular space frame with some plastic elements bolted on might be better.  This looks like it could support the weight of my car which might not be necessary as it adds to the weight.

maxlax-goalie-shin-guards-cat-3.jpg

Stormtroopers here we come??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WaveCut said:

That the ugliest thing I've ever seen in EUC world. Looks more like the DIY set than the quality product.

Well. Rockwheel have done off road stuff before, and given you're going to put it through the wringer, a metal frame should be a clear advantage.

The four battery compartments seems to make for great battery cooling, and should be fairly simple to make watertight.

As for the looks, I guess it's the difference between a dirt-bike and a city-style vespa. Whatever floats your boat.

• Like 1

This looks to be likely a prototype or one off project so I wouldn't be too hasty to judge it by its looks.  When a baby comes into this world fresh from the womb covered in fluids, does one judge it by its initial appearances?  If you know the amount of work that is needed to bend tubes and weld them together like that I think it's quite an impressive result so far!  Also it's not quite complete so I'd want to see the end result before making up my mind.

http://www.bikeexif.com/harris-frame-suzuki-berham

On 10/24/2018 at 12:31 PM, Scatcat said:

Something very interesting is going on at Rockwheel...

new-project1.thumb.jpg.d58110280bce44c4fd28eb237082c1f9.jpgnew-project2.thumb.jpg.d7bb5d836c07d77b8403ef9f330360f0.jpgnew-project3.thumb.jpg.e85f3d5d055809e51187e9759caab2e2.jpgnew-project4.jpg.45add0637e6457c485687aa9a66f0b77.jpg

Not sure how this relates to the GT18, but as you see some prototype work is going on... This thing looks indestructible!

looks to be inspired by early ideas for Inmotion v10, as featured here https://www.myinmotion.com/blogs/news/insights-inmotion-v10 :

Glide_4_medium.png?v=1524286250Glide_4-2_medium.png?v=1524286272

well, probably just a "fun" side-project of someone at RW, cool looking but impractical. (not to mention redundancy of half of the tubes)

edit: oops, just saw @Hunka Hunka Burning Love already pointed out that reference.

Edited by Tomek
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 11:53 PM, Tomek said:

looks to be inspired by early ideas for Inmotion v10, as featured here https://www.myinmotion.com/blogs/news/insights-inmotion-v10 :

Glide_4_medium.png?v=1524286250Glide_4-2_medium.png?v=1524286272

well, probably just a "fun" side-project of someone at RW, cool looking but impractical. (not to mention redundancy of half of the tubes)

edit: oops, just saw @Hunka Hunka Burning Love already pointed out that reference.

Sad to say I have no option but to agree, looks way to expensive to commercialize in a cheap, effective way.

I get that no one stood with the TIG in his right and Gonoimeter in the left, correcting, correcting, correcting til perfection was met, but even China style this is not gonna happen or anything even remotely "Trellis looking" tube solution unless they charge to not sell them at loss, in which case what's the point?` It is simply too expensive even if not done like old Europeans when a mass produced, efficient pressed frame solution holding up potential shock absorbing components would be extremely much more cost effective.

Sorry, was never gonna happen then, will not happen now but absolutely it would be a cool DIY project for a proper 1 wheeled motorbike, of course I say this hoping it will and that someone at the factory want to prove me wrong, pesky, silly little Swede talking nonsense, we will show him.. :lol: Please do, please do indeed just don't charge no $4-5k+

Ahh the Citroen of EUC. I do like they are testing to check how it works.

Now we only need a super break to help with traffic fools, not using indicator and blasting red lights.?

On 11/5/2018 at 4:10 PM, Scatcat said:

Well got the info from RW that it is planned with a 16" x 3" wheel and air-type suspension.

Don't know the feasibility of the economics of the whole thing, but they are building a prototype at least. I for one find it very interesting, a 3" tyre and suspension would make riding in the moonscape that is Gothenburg far more comfortable.

I find it very interesting too, love to go real suspension on the EUC.

A frame for a vehicle is a lot more complex than first meet the eye though, metal fatigue is a huge area all by itself though, so is low volume manufacturing. I think our wheels have been possible to buy relatively cheap partly because they are so simple in their build up and you only need the shell to house batteries, electronics. Plastics is cheap, electronics like this is somewhat cheap to design and manufacture and the  know how is is everywhere compared to what I am referring to here, the hub motor is also well understood and the battery chemistry is not even an issue cause they buy the cells. But adding a whole new component like a frame is hard and costly, basically no cars except in racing use tubular frame or frame sections and/or carbon fiber bathtub/monocoque, even motorcycles do a very high % pressed frames today cause so much cheaper to manufacture and easier to work with, although a certain volume is demanded of course if designing from bottom up, even using existing knowledge.

They will need to run virtual simulations first, later, stress testing etc and all this after calculations of design after tensile strength etc theory of materials and design chosen, it looks so simple just bend and weld a few tubes and done but it is anything but. My English is quite basic so I might have used wrong terminology not translating well from Swedish and things I just don't know what they are called in English but this fields is huge, with temperature differences to take into account too creating variations in loading up forces to the frame over time later on. It is true one can over engineer, bulk up on materials and especially if trying to use lower grade metals found cheap in China, so size and weight can be overdone to make sure they hit the target (I am assume fine tolerances for flexing considering what it is), but this will also add cost and weight, catch 22 in a way, unless you are Honda then it's small potatoes but still would choose this way cause maximizing profit...

But yes these are potentially the worst scenarios and of course I would be happy to be flat out wrong, I want to see this come to life too. My assumptions can also be wrong, most recent example I can list is trying to build a trailer that was of construction tubing with suspension to be pulled after a motorbike in a terrain that could resemble how many ride their EUC's down stairs, curbs and load stress.  I keep it general cause not sure what I am allowed to say at this point the full program is not finished yet, but multiple companies, engineers and structural designers, redesigning constantly after fatigue or stressed to failure, cost is everything commercializing and weight/bulk too here I would say? This was done using European high quality steel too, pure and using S235/S355 not exact weak materials + utilizing the truss and other ancient knowledge, design methods to build up strength.

I can totally see how it will look a lot simpler than it is, I am sure it can be simple for the bosses at Honda or Ducati that has been using the Trellis frame a lot, whatever they have the capacity, know how, budgets etc to make these things happen and relatively smoothly all things consider. Then suspension tough enough to take a beating from me and my weight consider how I ride and I am not the worst either, I know what the Öhlins used to cost for my dirt bikes but yes this is oil/spring though, I don't have the prices for air so maybe cheaper than I am thinking? If first one they likely to run into unexpected issues developing too but I speculate.

But again I hope they make it and able to sell at a price I can swallow, would make my day and even a short suspension could be massively beneficial + I am just some guy so what do I know in all honesty, I want to be dead wrong so I can have one of my own soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Air suspension will be expensive. A trellis frame will be expensive and heavy. I think this is a prototype to study the feasibility of the former. I don't see a frame like that making it to market without a revolution in battery capacity happening first. A compact air suspension, though, might find customers. I might pay $4-5k for an ultra-fast EUC with an actual suspension. Still cheaper than brand new motorcycles most motorcycle riders would consider "cheap".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, existensil said:

Air suspension will be expensive. A trellis frame will be expensive and heavy. I think this is a prototype to study the feasibility of the former. I don't see a frame like that making it to market without a revolution in battery capacity happening first. A compact air suspension, though, might find customers. I might pay $4-5k for an ultra-fast EUC with an actual suspension. Still cheaper than brand new motorcycles most motorcycle riders would consider "cheap".

Ohh ok, I honesty was clueless about cost for air suspension to be honest, too lazy to push a couple keys and Google too it seams like? :lol:

Did not want to step into some area where I am on thin ice, too thin ice, however it makes sense that no such component and especially of decent quality is cheap to manufacture, I can imagine.. Lots of cheap China trinkets online, suspect these are not in that group so to speak.

Yeah my toughs exactly, still hope I am wrong and some clever Chinese find a way to "China it through" from a quality not great but good enough to just barely work at least lol, but what you say about prototype too makes all the sense.  Ultra fast and not so heavy I cannot take it offroading and I would consider such a price tag myself.

Would be amazing to see such vehicles start arriving on the market, but yeah a step up in price is what I see too when trying to imagine this.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

JEAN , I forgot to ask if you would know a website with accurate Rockwheel info...such as v3 had THESE chages done ...and the 1036wh version was only since v3(so if we see a 1036 for sale it should most likely be a v3)?

TIA