New GT18 Wheel Coming

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Actually, one thing doesn't exclude the other. It might well be both a carry handle AND an air duct. I do however hope they don't leave a hole right into the controller box this time... :) 

I know what you’re talking about. Water protection is something they still have to learn from others. ?

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Actually, one thing doesn't exclude the other. It might well be both a carry handle AND an air duct. I do however hope they don't leave a hole right into the controller box this time... :) 

Not sure how realistic (or reasonable) the air duct would be. But in principle, construction would be simple and should be unproblematic. Look at how GW does it (on the side board wheels), the board's heatsink has cooling fins on the other side, reaching into the wheel well. Simple rubber gasket, it's totally tight. So if RW lie the board on a heatsink with the fins projecting into the duct underneath, problem solved. You could even put the board in a sealed box with the underside being the heatsink and it would be watertight.

59 minutes ago, Tomek said:

it's interesting, but IMO a lack of a typical handle will make this wheel really cumbersome on a daily basis. Most current wheels allow you to turn off/on the wheel, pick it up, fold/open the trolley handle with one hand only, where Inmotion's disengage switch adds even more convenience. During a daily commute I typically just use one hand for the wheel, while carrying a train card, bag, coffee etc in the other. With this concept you'll always have to use two hands to turn it on/off and hold it/lift it/put it down. Holding up the wheel just before stepping on it might also be awkward. but I guess you can only find out by trying it.

+carrying the wheel with your hand turned 90degrees is also way less comfortable

Yep, that's true. But they can still offer a trolley attachment if they want. Meanwhile the built in "handle" takes no space away from the batteries and complicates construction and sealing like internal handles, and works well enough as an "emergency" handle which is ok if you only ocasionally need the ability to carry the wheel.

This seems to be a very cool design study, I thought it was a decided/final design first. So maybe the wheel will still change into something more conservative with a "normal" handle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Tomek said:

I'm thinking that maybe a soft handle on top, e.g. made of fabric or thick rubber, or folding sideways - like on briefcases (so that it doesn't cover the display panel), could be a nice compromise.

Great idea!

On 5/3/2018 at 2:21 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Not sure how realistic (or reasonable) the air duct would be. But in principle, construction would be simple and should be unproblematic. Look at how GW does it (on the side board wheels), the board's heatsink has cooling fins on the other side, reaching into the wheel well. Simple rubber gasket, it's totally tight. So if RW lie the board on a heatsink with the fins projecting into the duct underneath, problem solved. You could even put the board in a sealed box with the underside being the heatsink and it would be watertight.

Yep, that's true. But they can still offer a trolley attachment if they want. Meanwhile the built in "handle" takes no space away from the batteries and complicates construction and sealing like internal handles, and works well enough as an "emergency" handle which is ok if you only ocasionally need the ability to carry the wheel.

This seems to be a very cool design study, I thought it was a decided/final design first. So maybe the wheel will still change into something more conservative with a "normal" handle.

Actually you're more or less describing the cooling system of the GT16... ;)

The current solution is a closed box, the upper part being plastic, the bottom part being the heatsink. The wires from the board goes through two protruding funnels on the sides of the bottom of the heatsink, that "seals" themselves against the wire compartments in the shell below. The middle of the heatsink is in the open air just above the tyre. Between the heatsink and the wire compartments, are the air ducts, that lets the air stream through the fins of the heatsink and over the wire compartments - helping keeping the PCB heat down, and cooling the wires (to some extent at least).

While this design isn't by any means perfect, it actually works pretty well, especially when going fast. Unless I climb hills, my board seldom tops 35°C. Even going up and down, unless crawling, my board has never ever topped 55°C. And that was in the middle of the summer on a gravel path in the woods.

EDIT THAT: 35°C was a bit overly positive, that is running in winter temperatures in Sweden, more like 45°C now during summer. I reached 49°C when pushing 25mph for about a mile, doing some heavy acceleration and braking at stop-lights.

Edited by Scatcat

• 2 months later...

i personally like the 18inch version of the GT on the right side(with the blue side shells) on the photo much more, than the black on the left!

Ugly as hell, thats at least my opinion!

The right side 18 inch version looks (from the rim form) exactly like a Ks18 rim with a Gt16 Shell over it!

But as said....for me nicer that the left one....

My 2 cents!

• Like 3

I hadn’t realized that there is also a GT18 with the GT16 shell on the table! Are they choosing between these, or making two 18” models? ’Cos the GT16-shelled one looks really interesting! Updated to modern levels for motor noise and wheel build quality and I might have a hard time resisting.

16 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I hadn’t realized that there is also a GT18 with the GT16 shell on the table! Are they choosing between these, or making two 18” models? ’Cos the GT16-shelled one looks really interesting! Updated to modern levels for motor noise and wheel build quality and I might have a hard time resisting.

That is the first prototype they had, of which there is a video, so I believe it was just for quick tests. No idea though.

I just learned that there will also be a new GT16 for Off-road.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thinking more about the pedals, in turns which part tends to scrape the ground?  It’s usually the leading outer corner so if you trimmed those down you get basically the shape they have now so it does kind of make sense.  Except that now your shoe might scrape instead?  The low pedal mount height is a little concerning though.  I wish they could make these with an adjustable height pedal.

Carry handle and built-in trolley.  Headlight and brakelight.  Must have.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

1. No carry handle, only front-rear grips
2. No trolley handle.
3. No motor killswitch obviously.

Who in the world would buy this piece of design?

Also, it seems this is an early prototype as I see the motor is not aligned to the center and shell parts have huge gaps.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

307/5000

at first glance it would look beautiful, a tank to face a battle, but then ...... ??? the wheel must be light, usable in the city to face all the possible obstacles that exist. How do you take it to go down and up the stairs? and to push it by hand? ... no please, no please, noooooo ....

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/28/2018 at 3:19 PM, Marty Backe said:

Good to see that it's real. Looks like they are sticking with crappy pedals like the GT16 :(

why crappy pedals on the GT16?  :confused1:

I feel good, much better than the nineboot One :efef2e0fff:

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

A nightmare for your legs and especially your shins... no thanks! :efeff54d4a:

Toughen up Meeps! It’s only some metal tubing against your calves.:)

43724581800_ff92da8823_b.jpg

45491412292_d6d950bde5_b.jpg