My First Wheel

Rok Tomažin

Hi there,

I live in EU and I'm in a process of buying my first EUC. I'm deciding between KingSong KS14D, KingSong KS16 and Inmotion V8 (but after seeing reviews it's not appealing so much any more compared to KS14D). I would probably go for KingSong KS16S without thinking, but 600 € higher price tag is just too much I think.

One option would be also Inmotion V10, but it's just to bulky and heavy I think. Another option is to wait for Gotway Msuper X with smaller 640wh battery, but I'm not sure about reliability of Gotways.

Range is not a deal braker, because I'll use it for commuting to work 10 kilometers (both ways together) which is approx 6,5 miles.

What do you guys think?

5 minutes ago, Rok Tomažin said:

Hi there,

I live in EU and I'm in a process of buying my first EUC. I'm deciding between KingSong KS14D, KingSong KS16 and Inmotion V8 (but after seeing reviews it's not appealing so much any more compared to KS14D). I would probably go for KingSong KS16S without thinking, but 600 € higher price tag is just too much I think. 

One option would be also Inmotion V10, but it's just to bulky and heavy I think. Another option is to wait for Gotway Msuper X with smaller 640wh battery, but I'm not sure about reliability of Gotways.

Range is not a deal braker, because I'll use it for commuting to work 10 kilometers (both ways together) which is approx 6,5 miles.

What do you guys think?

Welcome!

600 more than what??? Perhaps you find a cheaper option...KS Poland for example. Or ordering on ali-express if money is a real problem....

The V10 is not bulky or heavy...big batterys just weight something. The V10 seams to be a good wheel, but also not cheap.

I would not go for a Msuper X with only 650wh....Thats a very powerful wheel and i would guess it needs the bigger 1300/1600wh battery.

From my point of view, better invest some more and take -at least- a 800wh wheel. You will regret buying a to small battery very soon, if you get EUC addicted!

31 minutes ago, Rok Tomažin said:

Hi,

thank you. Yes I'm looking on this site https://www.electricunicycles.eu/ and comparing KS14D vs KS16S. I'm aware this is totaly different wheel. Maybe Inmotion V10 with 650wh would still be acceptable but 300 more for 960wh is too much.

Other Options in europe are:

https://eunicycles.eu

electro-sport.de

or some aliexpress sellers (which have for example mindblowing deals for the V8 or the 16s)

37 minutes ago, Rok Tomažin said:

Hi,

thank you. Yes I'm looking on this site https://www.electricunicycles.eu/ and comparing KS14D vs KS16S. I'm aware this is totaly different wheel. Maybe Inmotion V10 with 650wh would still be acceptable but 300 more for 960wh is too much.

And btw.:

Actually there is a brandnew White KS18S 1680wh for sale, from a aliexpress seller i know, and the wheel IS ALLREADY in his european warehouse!

And that for fantastic 1450$ Dollar!!! i am even thinking getting it myself :-)

And before you ask....

That on the sidepads is "KS-wheels" instead of "KingSong" is the only difference! Has nothing to say and is no "fake" whatsoever...

I actually also have a "KS-wheel" (from the same seller btw!)

The thing with EUCs is, that now you might think range is not that important. But after few hundred kilometres you will want more. I just sold V8 and will get V10F soon because of that reason. Not that I need more range, but I want more range :-) . So even as your first wheel I would recommend something with at least 650 Wh. It is very frustrating to have desire to go for a nice and long ride but being limited by a short range. 

Whatever you will choose from what you listed (KS14, KS16, V10), they are all great wheels IMO. 

22 minutes ago, Juick said:

The thing with EUCs is, that now you might think range is not that important. But after few hundred kilometres you will want more. I just sold V8 and will get V10F soon because of that reason. Not that I need more range, but I want more range :-) . So even as your first wheel I would recommend something with at least 650 Wh. It is very frustrating to have desire to go for a nice and long ride but being limited by a short range. 

A bigger battery is not only for more range.

It is a main security aspect, as more parallel packs means needed amperage is shared over more packs. This also means less stress to the cells and ergo to a longer battery life and perhaps a longer life of your EUC in General.

I personally would not buy a wheel anymore with not more than two parallel Setups (= more than 340wh/420wh).

For example i have done about 2300km on my 18S. With it's 1680wh (8Parallel) that works out to about 25 full battery cycles, me charging it about 35 times from 30-90%(all documented with the help of a Charge doctor ).

Would i have only a 340wh battery (2P) in this wheel  i would have about at least 100full cycles and perhaps 200 charges from 30-90%...most likely being in a Stadium where the cells allready start to deplete a bit!

51 minutes ago, US69 said:

A bigger battery is not only for more range.

It is a main security aspect, as more parallel packs means needed amperage is shared over more packs. This also means less stress to the cells and ergo to a longer battery life and perhaps a longer life of your EUC in General.

I personally would not buy a wheel anymore with not more than two parallel Setups (= more than 340wh/420wh).

For example i have done about 2300km on my 18S. With it's 1680wh (8Parallel) that works out to about 25 full battery cycles, me charging it about 35 times from 30-90%(all documented with the help of a Charge doctor ).

Would i have only a 340wh battery (2P) in this wheel  i would have about at least 100full cycles and perhaps 200 charges from 30-90%...most likely being in a Stadium where the cells allready start to deplete a bit!

Yeah, but with 340wh battery, when it starts to deplete, you can probably buy several new battery packs and it will still be cheaper than 1680wh wheel. But I get what you mean and agree.

13 minutes ago, Juick said:

Yeah, but with 340wh battery, when it starts to deplete, you can probably buy several new battery packs and it will still be cheaper than 1680wh wheel. But I get what you mean and agree.

Sure :-)

to compare 340 and 1680wh was also a bit overdrawn, and just an example that it's not just range....

my main Point is that i dont throw my 85-90kg on a 340wh wheel anymore.....Just not enough power in such a small pack. But that's my very personal opinion and has a lot todo with what i think about safety!

I have had my new wheel for nearly two weeks now and went through weeks of trying to figure out what was best for me.

I had a budget of £1000 and was recommended the V8 and a KS14D which seemed to suit my requirements.

But the more I thought about it and spoke to the good folk on here, the more I realised that I would be selling myself short and would soon be looking for an upgrade. I'm not saying that these are bad wheels or anything like that, but for a few £'s more you can future proof yourself and have a wheel that will do anything you want of it

You just don't know how much you will "get into it". I have done 75km in my first 5 rides. I just can't get off the thing it's so addictive.

Your spending ALOT of money, so make the right choice the first time. 

I went for the KS16S in the end which cost 20% more than my original budget, but I don't regret it for a minute.

Wait a while, save a few more £ (or Euro) and get the right wheel. ?

7 hours ago, Rok Tomažin said:

Hi there,

What do you guys think?

Rok,

More important than looking at specifications and opinions are the following:

• Is speed important?
  • Are you looking strictly for a commuting vehicle of something to also play with and have adventures? (think "after" you have mastered the wheel. Many start with modest goals until "it clicks", then they become addicts/enthusiast and their range and use requirements expand)
  • How much do you weigh?
  • Are aesthetics important (slim/flashy,shape lines, etc.) or just practicality?
  • Are you budget restrictions limited by what you can afford, or by what you are willing to pay given your current cost/benefit assessment?

I will outline how my "not" considering the above, but only price, specs, and opinions fared.

13 mph seemed enough to get me from point A to point B standing on a pair of pedals with no control other than my body movements .. yeah 13 mph seem to be plenty fast.

I was looking for a commuting vehicle, perhaps "last mile solution" in conjunction with public transit

My riding weight is ~ 110 K

I have visual preferences, but they are never more important than practicality.

My cost benefit was low. I didn't see spending more than the minimum required to buy a relatively safe initial wheel worthwhile.

The obvious choice appeared last holiday season when Ninebot One E+ were sold less than $400 US. I figured it was worth $400 just to see if I could learn to ride the wheel. If I could it could serve as a last mile solution or perhaps use for local errands.

Where am I now? I am back at the start without the baggage of not knowing can I learn the wheel, is it a practical and pleasant commuting vehicle , can it handle my cities terrain, etc.  Going through the above list more enlighten I have start to bring my next wheel into focus:

I want to be able to cruise without tilt-back at 18-20 mph

I want to use it as my "primary" commuting, errand running, leisurely weekends riding vehicle. That requires a 15 mile range and I would prefer a little buffer room.

The Wheels must have a "recommended maximum weight" of 110 K

I prefer the round/egg shapes with ring lights, but 18", wider tires and a built-in trolley handle trumps any look or style.

I currently ride a motorcycle, so the cost of the wheel shouldn't be more than the savings in gas, maintenance, parking permits over a two year period. The 'joy" of EUC riding, however, skews all logic in favor of the EUC and the choice becomes more of what I can afford. Rok, I hope this helps. For other forum members this is my contribution to all those who suffer from insomnia. My posting will certainly put you to sleep.?

15 minutes ago, Jerome said:

Rok,

More important than looking at specifications and opinions are the following:

• Is speed important?
  • Are you looking strictly for a commuting vehicle of something to also play with and have adventures? (think "after" you have mastered the wheel. Many start with modest goals until "it clicks", then they become addicts/enthusiast and their range and use requirements expand)
  • How much do you weigh?
  • Are aesthetics important (slim/flashy,shape lines, etc.) or just practicality?
  • Are you budget restrictions limited by what you can afford, or by what you are willing to pay given your current cost/benefit assessment?

I will outline how my "not" considering the above, but only price, specs, and opinions fared.

13 mph seemed enough to get me from point A to point B standing on a pair of pedals with no control other than my body movements .. yeah 13 mph seem to be plenty fast.

I was looking for a commuting vehicle, perhaps "last mile solution" in conjunction with public transit

My riding weight is ~ 110 K

I have visual preferences, but they are never more important than practicality.

My cost benefit was low. I didn't see spending more than the minimum required to buy a relatively safe initial wheel worthwhile.

The obvious choice appeared last holiday season when Ninebot One E+ were sold less than $400 US. I figured it was worth $400 just to see if I could learn to ride the wheel. If I could it could serve as a last mile solution or perhaps use for local errands.

Where am I now? I am back at the start without the baggage of not knowing can I learn the wheel, is it a practical and pleasant commuting vehicle , can it handle my cities terrain, etc.  Going through the above list more enlighten I have start to bring my next wheel into focus:

I want to be able to cruise without tilt-back at 18-20 mph

I want to use it as my "primary" commuting, errand running, leisurely weekends riding vehicle. That requires a 15 mile range and I would prefer a little buffer room.

The Wheels must have a "recommended maximum weight" of 110 K

I prefer the round/egg shapes with ring lights, but 18", wider tires and a built-in trolley handle trumps any look or style.

I currently ride a motorcycle, so the cost of the wheel shouldn't be more than the savings in gas, maintenance, parking permits over a two year period. The 'joy" of EUC riding, however, skews all logic in favor of the EUC and the choice becomes more of what I can afford. Rok, I hope this helps. For other forum members this is my contribution to all those who suffer from insomnia. My posting will certainly put you to sleep.?

I suppose my philosophy on this matter is a bit different.  I spent $800 on my first wheel, and it is definitely far under-spec for what I want nowadays.  However, this wheel helped me determine whether or not EUCs were for me, whether I was capable of learning to ride one, and whether they were practical to use in the areas I live in.  It was essentially a 'beater' wheel, as I spent a lot of time dropping it, scratching and denting it as I learned how to use it.  If my first wheel had been a nice $1500-2000 wheel, then my remorse would have been much higher on the damage done to it while learning, and even moreso had I wrecked it beyond typical repair.  If I had decided that it was not going to work for me, then I'd be hard pressed to find a buyer willing to pay a decent amount for a beat up wheel.  Now that I have more experience with these things, I am more comfortable spending more on one (hence why I recently ordered a $1600 wheel).  Also, now that I've had time with one, I'm able to quantify exactly what it is I'm looking for.  Just my thoughts.

Thank you guys, thank you for all informations. 

The thing is I'm swithching my job which is now located in downtown with no parking spaces and I need something to commute.

My weight is 80 kg (175 pounds) so this shouldn't be much of a problem ?

I decided to put in a little extra and get myself Inmotion V10 (not V10F). Now I need your help where is the safest place to preorder one in EU? Service, warranty,... Probably the safest option would be directly at innmotion-france, but on their page it will be available in July ☹️

Thank you.

Good choice:efee47c9c8:

If you want is asap:

Speedyfeet (UK) says "approx. 5 weeks": https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle/products/inmotion-v10

electricunicycles.eu (PL) says "June": https://www.electricunicycles.eu/

Don't necessarily trust these dates too much, though, hard to say who will really get it first. Probably not too much difference.

Archived