Jump to content

So confused about Gotway's EUC models


MacPara

Recommended Posts

I'm a greenhorn with EUC as I just started riding a couple of months ago, so I apologize in advance if this is a silly question. I'm seriously confused about the different Gotway models. It might come from my hesitation about looking deeper into it when I started riding as the overall vibe I picked up was "they're dangerous" or have flaky electronics. Now that I understand a bit better where these notions are coming from I am getting more interested in them as I deem these generalizations stemming from pushing the limits on these wheels. Anyway, I don't want to discuss that really but I would really like to understand what it is with the difficult availability of these wheels and the discrepancies that I see between the models listed on the official www.kebye.com website and the models listed on seller sites like Gotway America or eWheels.com. 

For instance, I am pretty tickled by the Gotway Tesla but you can't seem to buy it at any of the US seller sites, nor is it even listed as a model on kebye.com. Does that mean it's discontinued? It doesn't look like it as eWheels lists it as available for backorder, so I assume they still build it but why isn't it listed then on the manufacturer's website.
The same with the Monster. No listing on kebye.com but apparently there is nothing comparable out there, so why would it be discontinued (if that's what it means). The Monster is also not available anywhere in the US. 

Then there's the mystery of the Tesla vs. ACM. They are both 16" wheels. Is the ACM the successor of the Tesla or why come out with another 16" wheel? Seems silly and redundant. And it looks like the ACMv2 with the smaller battery which is still a lot bigger than the Tesla's is quite a bit cheaper than the Tesla (if you could buy the latter). Why? Is there something else missing in the ACMv2? It looks like the motor is the same as the one in the Tesla.

So, yeah, I am confused about their models and all the other stuff. Is there a Gotway aficionado out there who could educate me how this all makes sense?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, MacPara said:

Then there's the mystery of the Tesla vs. ACM. They are both 16" wheels. Is this the ACM the successor of the Tesla or why come out with another 16" wheel? Seems silly and redundant.

I hope not. In my opinion, the aesthetics and the balance of power and footprint of the Tesla, is the direction in which Gotway should go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MacPara said:

I'm a greenhorn with EUC as I just started riding a couple of months ago, so I apologize in advance if this is a silly question. I'm seriously confused about the different Gotway models. It might come from my hesitation about looking deeper into it when I started riding as the overall vibe I picked up was "they're dangerous" or have flaky electronics. Now that I understand a bit better where these notions are coming from I am getting more interested in them as I deem these generalizations stemming from pushing the limits on these wheels. Anyway, I don't want to discuss that really but I would really like to understand what it is with the difficult availability of these wheels and the discrepancies that I see between the models listed on the official www.kebye.com website and the models listed on seller sites like Gotway America or eWheels.com. 

For instance, I am pretty tickled by the Gotway Tesla but you can't seem to buy it at any of the US seller sites, nor is it even listed as a model on kebye.com. Does that mean it's discontinued? It doesn't look like it as eWheels lists it as available for backorder, so I assume they still build it but why isn't it listed then on the manufacturer's website.
The same with the Monster. No listing on kebye.com but apparently there is nothing comparable out there, so why would it be discontinued (if that's what it means). The Monster is also not available anywhere in the US. 

Then there's the mystery of the Tesla vs. ACM. They are both 16" wheels. Is this the ACM the successor of the Tesla or why come out with another 16" wheel? Seems silly and redundant. And it looks like the ACMv2 with the smaller battery which is still a lot bigger than the Tesla's is quite a bit cheaper than the Tesla (if you could buy the latter). Why? Is there something else missing in the ACMv2? It looks like the motor is the same as the one in the Tesla.

So, yeah, I am confused about their models and all the other stuff. Is there a Gotway aficionado out there who could educate me how this all makes sense?

 

so basically. the kebye gotway site is almost useless, they update it very rarely, many models not listed. the gotway tesla is very much still in production and has changed to an all carbon fiber style shell (almost) from just being carbon fiber on the square side panels. (model i have)

so basically the gotway tesla is a new model that has quieter motor, 1020wh battery and led light ring

and the acm v2 is has a little different control board and different shell some people say its sturdier? i dont think so

but the acm v2 motor has a louder "whine" sound and also a 1600wh battery whixh there isnt really space for in the tesla

and also the tesla has a built in trolley handle, basically they have different series:

 

-Acm is a 16" wheel and it features the acm design and 1600wh battery and is one of the most known gotway series, and they now made the acm v2

 

 

-Msuper is a 18" wheel and features i think maybe larger batteries than the acm and had a more powerfull motor, but now the acm 2 is more powerfull, and now gotway just released the Msuper X with a 2000W motor like the tesla and the acm2, but it has double sized mosfets and a better control board and is now a 19" wheel

 

-Tesla this is a new series and is now a 16" more compact wheel that is thinner and lighter than some of the other models and has a more pretty design than the others that are more square and also has a nice led ring with improved control board and was the gotway model that pushed their models into the 2000W motor catagory and vary responsive and hard riding modes

-Monster is a 22" wheel huge batteries descent motor and giant diameter, the new 100V monster is with still big battery and now also with a 2000W motor and 100V so it is much mnore powerfull and can go up to 60kph and more

-mcm the small 14 icnh wheel there is 5 models so far, mcm4 looks basically like a mini gotway tesla with 800W i think and smaller batteries with the samller size, their newest mcm5 has a 1500W motor and gotway also used the carbon fiber and lots of leds,

 

-mten there has been a few models but basically this is small 10 icnh wheels that are powerfull and newest model is mten5

 

-luffy this is basically a mten5 on the cheap

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree, it's all very confusing. Even Gotway enthusiasts like @Shad0z get some details wrong (confusing ACM V2 with ACM2).

It probably takes over a year of being around Gotway to fully understand their market :D

Some of the Gotway aficionados (I might fall under that category) learn from talking to the dealers, scouring Facebook, scouring this Forum, listening to rumors, etc. And after awhile it all seems to make sense. Why Gotway themselves don't have a worthwhile website is indeed a mystery.

I don't have time to lay out all of the different models and variations on those models, but if you have more specific questions I (or others) can try and answer them.

Eventually the sucking power of the Gotway blackhole pulls people in such as yourself ;)

P.s.
Think of the Tesla as the prettyboy wheel destined for city life (pretty shell, dazzling lights, limited range, etc) and the ACM as the warthog that gets the job done and runs all day long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree, it's all very confusing. Even Gotway enthusiasts like @Shad0z get some details wrong (confusing ACM V2 with ACM2).

It probably takes over a year of being around Gotway to fully understand their market :D

Some of the Gotway aficionados (I might fall under that category) learn from talking to the dealers, scouring Facebook, scouring this Forum, listening to rumors, etc. And after awhile it all seems to make sense. Why Gotway themselves don't have a worthwhile website is indeed a mystery.

I don't have time to lay out all of the different models and variations on those models, but if you have more specific questions I (or others) can try and answer them.

Eventually the sucking power of the Gotway blackhole eventually pulls people in such as yourself ;)

P.s.
Think of the Tesla as the prettyboy wheel destined for city life (pretty shell, dazzling lights, limited range, etc) and the ACM as the warthog that gets the job done and runs all day long.

It doesn't help that we have distributors selling the ACM2 as ACMv2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree, it's all very confusing. Even Gotway enthusiasts like @Shad0z get some details wrong (confusing ACM V2 with ACM2).

It probably takes over a year of being around Gotway to fully understand their market :D

Some of the Gotway aficionados (I might fall under that category) learn from talking to the dealers, scouring Facebook, scouring this Forum, listening to rumors, etc. And after awhile it all seems to make sense. Why Gotway themselves don't have a worthwhile website is indeed a mystery.

I don't have time to lay out all of the different models and variations on those models, but if you have more specific questions I (or others) can try and answer them.

Eventually the sucking power of the Gotway blackhole eventually pulls people in such as yourself ;)

P.s.
Think of the Tesla as the prettyboy wheel destined for city life (pretty shell, dazzling lights, limited range, etc) and the ACM as the warthog that gets the job done and runs all day long.

as far as i know i heard someone calling the acm with 12mosfets the acm v2

but the one you have is an acm2 i assume?

i dont really know where to get the real answer from ?

and 580 extra what hours is the difference between "limited range" and "all day long"

if you think that is limited range... Then try a ninebot :D 

it is hard for me to drain my tesla.

and the tesla and the acm2 are still very similiar  in performance. You get about 25km extra on the acm. same motor power, different shell that looks more blocky on the acm suddenly makes it a "Warthog" :D and the tesla smaller battery and lights makes it a "prettyboy for city riding" 

the only real difference in specs is the battery and shell 

marty does love his acm(s) no doubt about that :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

as far as i know i heard someone calling the acm with 12mosfets the acm v2

but the one you have is an acm2 i assume?

i dont really know where to get the real answer from ?

and 580 extra what hours is the difference between "limited range" and "all day long"

if you think that is limited range... Then try a ninebot :D 

it is hard for me to drain my tesla.

and the tesla and the acm2 are still very similiar  in performance. You get about 25km extra on the acm. same motor power, different shell that looks more blocky on the acm suddenly makes it a "Warthog" :D and the tesla smaller battery and lights makes it a "prettyboy for city riding" 

the only real difference in specs is the battery and shell 

marty does love his acm(s) no doubt about that :D

Hey, I'm just trying to tell a good story without using dry technical terms :whistling:

Remember, I own a Tesla, so it's not like I'm a Tesla hater :)

There's no doubt in my mind that the ACM is better for taking abuse, and is a bit uglier (to some people), thus the warthog analogy.

I can ride for 55-miles on my ACM vs 35-miles on the Tesla. That feels like "all day long"

I'm just about to go for a ride on my Tesla right now. And it's a really fun wheel to ride in the evening, with the light show :thumbup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i would say the tesla has a design like a supercar, stunning and it catches your eye

the acm looks blocky but it can be in a good way it looks sturdy and like a tank

but it is just a little too blocky for my tast

 

some like the acm because it grips your legs lower which some people feel makes it easier to turn and manoeuvre

 

personally i like the tesla the way it grips higher. 

it feels like its more locked in place and stable between your legs.

but all of this is personal taste ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hey, I'm just trying to tell a good story without using dry technical terms :whistling:

Remember, I own a Tesla, so it's not like I'm a Tesla hater :)

There's no doubt in my mind that the ACM is better for taking abuse, and is a bit uglier (to some people), thus the warthog analogy.

I can ride for 55-miles on my ACM vs 35-miles on the Tesla. That feels like "all day long"

I'm just about to go for a ride on my Tesla right now. And it's a really fun wheel to ride in the evening, with the light show :thumbup:

it was just the funny description with the extreme contrast between the tesla and the acm i was joking about :P 

"prettyboy" "warthog" :D 

do we talk too much about wheels? :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ignore kebye.com, the site hasn't been updated in like 2 years.

Good (part) overview of what's available are these two dealers:

https://www.ewheels.com/shop/

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle

Current models (= ones that haven't been replaced by something better):

  • 10 inch: mten3
  • 14 inch: MCM5 (just came out)
  • 16 inch: Tesla, ACM2 (I don't think it has an official name, some call it ACMv2 but that name was used earlier for improved ACMs which were pretty much all of them)
    There was the ACM first, then the prettier Tesla with a stronger motor, then they put that motor into the ACM and called it ACM2. Given the bigger battery, if you don't particularly prefer the sleeker Tesla form factor, the ACM2 is better wheel/money.
  • 18 inch/19 inch: msuper V3 (probably no longer produced), msuper V3 with Tesla motor (got the same upgrade as the ACM->ACM2, but no name, no reason to buy this over the upcoming msuper X), msuper X coming soon (Tesla or comparable motor, better board, big tire, new sidepanels making it a bit bigger, quite the exciting upgrade)
  • 22inch: Monster 84V (1600Wh or 2400Wh), Monster 100V (1845Wh)
    100V is faster and better built (electronics), but due to using the old Monster shell, they can't put more than 1845Wh into it for spatial constraints, so the biggest battery is limited to the 84V Monster.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shad0z said:

mten there has been a few models but basically this is small 10 icnh wheels that are powerfull and newest model is mten5

  

 -luffy this is basically a mten5 on the cheap

MTEN5 :clap3: Where do I send my money? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

MTEN5 :clap3: Where do I send my money? 

I just saw a post by Gotway which makes me think that a new version of the M5 may be around the corner. For those of you not in the know, the M5 makes the Mten3 look like a Monster in comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree, it's all very confusing. Even Gotway enthusiasts like @Shad0z get some details wrong (confusing ACM V2 with ACM2).

It probably takes over a year of being around Gotway to fully understand their market :D

Some of the Gotway aficionados (I might fall under that category) learn from talking to the dealers, scouring Facebook, scouring this Forum, listening to rumors, etc. And after awhile it all seems to make sense. Why Gotway themselves don't have a worthwhile website is indeed a mystery.

I don't have time to lay out all of the different models and variations on those models, but if you have more specific questions I (or others) can try and answer them.

Eventually the sucking power of the Gotway blackhole eventually pulls people in such as yourself ;)

P.s.
Think of the Tesla as the prettyboy wheel destined for city life (pretty shell, dazzling lights, limited range, etc) and the ACM as the warthog that gets the job done and runs all day long.

Warthog! Ah, now you are speaking my language! Living in the heart of the A-10 Warthog flight training community, I understand that stuff. ?  And for the pull of the GW blackhole, I can definitely start feeling some weird force drawing me in ....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Joe Holliday said:

It doesn't help that we have distributors selling the ACM2 as ACMv2.

Yep, that definitely was something I thought was the same thing. Marty set me straight on that one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to all the responders for taking the time to type up what should be on a Gotway website. It really doesn't look that complicated when put in context. The thing that really got (no pun) me was the ACM, ACM v2, ACM2 story. I mean, WTH?! Right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, the fact that some of the GW wheels are not available in the US (as in being in stock, ready to ship) is because the demand is exceeding the production rate? That would almost speak for itself, or it just shows bad planing on the production site ? Whichever view one prefers to take, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MacPara said:

So, the fact that some of the GW wheels are not available in the US (as in being in stock, ready to ship) is because the demand is exceeding the production rate? That would almost speak for itself, or it just shows bad planing on the production site ? Whichever view one prefers to take, right?

Exactly :D

You know, EWheels wasn't even going to carry the ACM any longer after the Tesla was released. Jason mistakenly assumed that the Tesla would obviate the need for the ACM. I think he got that wrong :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's definitely confusing that they have so many different models, but I certainly appreciate it as a consumer because they represent genuine improvements and not simply variation for variation sake.    

My guess is that Gotway is going to be the first EUC company to adopt Ninebot's wide/tubeless tire design.  They seem the best positioned to adapt quickly to changing market demands.  

If they release a Tesla with a wide/tubeless tire, I'll be first in line.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I just saw a post by Gotway which makes me think that a new version of the M5 may be around the corner. For those of you not in the know, the M5 makes the Mten3 look like a Monster in comparison.

I saw that video too  maybe 200W? :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

It's definitely confusing that they have so many different models, but I certainly appreciate it as a consumer because they represent genuine improvements and not simply variation for variation sake.    

My guess is that Gotway is going to be the first EUC company to adopt Ninebot's wide/tubeless tire design.  They seem the best positioned to adapt quickly to changing market demands.  

If they release a Tesla with a wide/tubeless tire, I'll be first in line.  

i was thinking of converting my tesla to tubeless. But it is a little complicated...

so i just ended up buying a kenda 2.50 wide tire. it will be arriving in a few weeks :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

For those of you not in the know, the M5 makes the Mten3 look like a Monster in comparison.

Woot, 5 inch wheel! How does it even work, put a motor and a thick enough axle to support a rider into this small diameter? And the pedal support brackets? Pedals can hardly only be 5cm/2.5in high. Must be an interesting form factor.

Cool. You have to give it to GW, they DO stuff.

9 hours ago, MacPara said:

So, the fact that some of the GW wheels are not available in the US (as in being in stock, ready to ship) is because the demand is exceeding the production rate? That would almost speak for itself, or it just shows bad planing on the production site ? Whichever view one prefers to take, right?

Don't read much into stock availability. Once the manufacturers have their money, the take their sweet time actually delivering. Orders from before Christmas are only being shipped now! So you have some massive time delays, not nearly real-time happenings like on Amazon or so. Imagine communicating with Mars, can't do it live, but also things happen way before you see them happen.

Also dealers will maybe have 1 or 2 deliveries per month, unknown customs wait times, China-> rest of world shipping notification delays, etc. - stock is not that predictable and things can change quickly without warning.

Dealer websites aren't going to be 100% up-to-date all the time as well. Not even the best.

Here's a current overview for ewheels.com:

Always buy the wheel you want, not the one that (you think) happens to be available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I just saw a post by Gotway which makes me think that a new version of the M5 may be around the corner. For those of you not in the know, the M5 makes the Mten3 look like a Monster in comparison.

I saw that post yesterday as well. I now know what I want for Christmas. It’ll be the perfect EUC enthusiasts stocking stuffer!:w00t2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I just saw a post by Gotway which makes me think that a new version of the M5 may be around the corner. For those of you not in the know, the M5 makes the Mten3 look like a Monster in comparison.

That thing looks cool, but I couldn't imagine it has a big enough battery to get you from your door to the end of your driveway and back!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...