What kind of helmet should I get

claudioagmfilho

Hi there there is a helmet called racer triple 8, and there are the Kinds of  helmet like the one is that marty backe uses, The racer one from triple 8 is for downhill, it’s very light, should the opened ones like the ones that Marty uses for riding? Should I get a closed or opened helmet? Anyone? 

Why not go for both... @WARPed1701D had given an awesome comparison review on two of the main brand helmets with removable chin-guards...

Personally, I am leaning toward the Giro Switchblade (I like the ear covering) - I just need to get into a cycle shop to confirm sizing first!

Choose your favourite flavour of helmet (or none) Mine changes often, but if you need put some sense in the selection the best are those designed for motorsports, others have lighter materials to improve the sportive practice. Due euc have motor that aren't our problem.

My favourite could be this:

th?id=OIP._leNeevvBc_VewHoYSytUQHaE8%26p

Riding under 40mph provide enough protection at least for the first impact, also is rain proof, comfortable, blind spots free, cheap and guaranteed by the traffics organisms

4 minutes ago, Demargon said:

Choose your favourite flavour of helmet (or none) Mine changes often, but if you need put some sense in the selection the best are those designed for motorsports, others have lighter materials to improve the sportive practice. Due euc have motor that aren't our problem.

My favourite could be this:

th?id=OIP._leNeevvBc_VewHoYSytUQHaE8%26p

Riding under 40mph provide enough protection at least for the first impact, also is rain proof, comfortable, blind spots free, cheap and guaranteed by the traffics organisms

While it looks good, I like to have chin bar. So far I have not had any use for the chin bar, since only one of my falls have been a cut-out, and that was at zero speed. But the idea of becoming a living switch-blade at 25 mph without a chin-bar is not thrilling...

You need to ask yourself some questions to decide on the open or full face helmet decision. How fast do you ride. In what environment? What kind of terrain? How stable are you? How many times have to fallen and how did you fall (rolled out or splat and skid)? Do you like corn on the cob...because it is hard to eat with no teeth? Do you like your nose/chin/jaw? Accidents (if there is such a thing) can happen to anyone. You need to ask yourself how much prevention means to you and how much any extra effort/discomfort/time you are willing to sacrifice to enact such prevention to avoid a potential serious injury.

My personal opinion is that the EUC, the environment you are riding in, and your own lapses of concentration can cause you to eat asphalt in a fraction of a second with little to no warning at surprisingly low speeds. I wouldn't ride with anything but a full face helmet. But any certified helmet is better then nothing. You can live a reasonable life with false teeth and a wired up jaw but it all goes to crap when you mess up your brain.

I wear a skate helmet.  Full face is excellent if you get rendered unconscious or blinded; as is full armor.  I like Bell moto helmets.  MX9 Adventure has a built in shield.  Rogue is a military style with removable face protection.  Carbon is lighter.  Field of vision may be reduced.  

I will most likely get the Super Downhill, the upgrade to the 3r, if it’s safe for 20-25 mph.  If I upgrade to a 40 mph wheel it will be full moto race gear and helmet.  What are average downhill bike speeds?  Are bike helmets good enough?  Even the best most expensive armor combination wont save you from minivan late to get the kids turning right from the left lane no blinker speeding run the red.  Or falling off a cliff offroad cause your wheel thoight it would be funny.

19 minutes ago, Demargon said:

So it is a very strong bit of plastic... How is it connected to the helmet? Will it be stiff enough the your face isn’t what stops the motion in the end?

17 hours ago, claudioagmfilho said:

Hi there there is a helmet called racer triple 8, and there are the Kinds of  helmet like the one is that marty backe uses, The racer one from triple 8 is for downhill, it’s very light, should the opened ones like the ones that Marty uses for riding? Should I get a closed or opened helmet? Anyone? 

You might input from this thread too, or atleast see what I posted on the Helmet thingy:

Now I tend to agree with getting a fullface helmet, and I am leaning towards the TSG Pass (or viants of this) for some reason. But they are hard to find in stock and in my size (Large 58cm head) and at a reasonable price...if you can set that on a bucket  to protect you brain. 

14 hours ago, Unventor said:

You might input from this thread too, or atleast see what I posted on the Helmet thingy:

Now I tend to agree with getting a fullface helmet, and I am leaning towards the TSG Pass (or viants of this) for some reason. But they are hard to find in stock and in my size (Large 58cm head) and at a reasonable price...if you can set that on a bucket  to protect you brain. 

Try my 61.5cm head on, and see how easy headgear is to find :D 

32 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

That because your headgear is built-in ?

I was tempted to get a standard helmet, partly because it's bothersome when I'm out and about to have to take off a fullface everytime I want a smoke or eat or drink something. 

3 minutes ago, kour said:

I was tempted to get a standard helmet, partly because it's bothersome when I'm out and about to have to take off a fullface everytime I want a smoke or eat or drink something. 

Removable chin bar?

13 hours ago, Scatcat said:

All of those brains need some space. 

On 4/24/2018 at 9:56 AM, WARPed1701D said:

My personal opinion is that the EUC, the environment you are riding in, and your own lapses of concentration can cause you to eat asphalt 

I kiss my chin guard before going to bed every night. 

I got myself a Bell Qualifier in Matt Black and so far have ridden with it in NYC once.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-qualifier-helmet?gclid=CjwKCAjwzoDXBRBbEiwAGZRIeNolK2YxDJAhZqynU690WekfQaAUYyAQ97I2q8LfIl-5tFVygA6XLRoChfwQAvD_BwE

I wore it riding in the rain and actually got caught in a pretty fierce storm with tonnes of rain.

The good: I felt like I was in a car, without the sound or feel of rain it was super comfortable The visor kept the rain out. I felt pretty indestructible.

The bad: I felt like I was in a car, pretty indestructible; there's also this gangly body attached to the head inside this helmet. I feel like although I will be better protected in event of an accident, the sensory deprivation might actually lead to one, especially in bike lanes where there's bikes and people everywhere. It also feels a little intense for streets, stopping at lights next to cyclists wearing this, I'd constantly feel the urge to look over and goofily tell them 'I wear this because of the way falls happen on EUCs and it can do up to 35mph...' I already find myself feeling pretty cringe on this thing with my pads, horn and weird upright riding position... until they become a bit more common and normalize into culture at least.

I ride with my Bern cycling helmet mostly, although I might go for something open with a visor in the future, eg.

image.png.f936294a1aed5131f24940b88a5c094d.png

18 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

On the flip side, I don't like even wearing my skate/bike helmet. Are there any helmets out there that are less helmet-y? 

S.K.U.L.L 1.0.1 – not sure how well it would handle a fall though. ;) 

13 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

S.K.U.L.L 1.0.1 – not sure how well it would handle a fall though. ;) 

I hear a new model is comming S.K.U.L.L X.0.X, should be released around the V10f goes airborn

17 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I hear a new model is comming S.K.U.L.L X.0.X, should be released around the V10f goes airborn

Well at least the S.K.U.L.L helmets are not beta, they've been with us like forever... ;) 

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Large cranial capacities do impress the ladies!

2Foj9.jpg

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Where the f*** did you find a picture of me!

Check out the shoulders Scatcat. @Hunka Hunka Burning Love gave you Rehab1 studs! Now you will really impress the ladies! 

1 hour ago, kasenutty said:

On the flip side, I don't like even wearing my skate/bike helmet. Are there any helmets out there that are less helmet-y? 

Does this work?

40806551655_7a43e18572_b.jpg

Archived