KS16S Firmware upgrade doesn't work ?

HermanTheGerman

Hi, since a few days I own a new KS16S with FW 1.00, and I know that at least FW 1.03 exists.

Though I'm quite happy until now, I still want to upgrade, because with 1.00 it is not possible to turn off the voice greeting (though it's a lot more silent than on my prior KS16B).

Unfortunately it is not possible to upgrade the firmware, not with the newest KS app, and of course not with the old green one.

Do you know where I could get the upgrade file ?  The rest I could do by myself, by redirecting the DNS request to one of my own servers, I just would need the Firmware file.

@Flora Yuan, could you possibly help ?

Thanks for any hints and tips, HtG

26 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Unfortunately it is not possible to upgrade the firmware, not with the newest KS app, and of course not with the old green one.

What is "not working"???

You Need at least the new app, i would recommend better using android instead of IOS.

Directly when opening the new app and after Connecting to your wheel you should get an automatic prompt by the app that a newer Firmware is available.

If this prompt does NOT come from alone, the upgrade Servers are down at the Moment. i would then recommend to try later.

In the Moment they have some probs with Speed unlocking and registering, so might be they have taken down the Server, or so...

Unfortunatly i dont have theFirmware file, i guess the normal user wont save it, or?

8 hours ago, US69 said:

What is "not working"???

The firmware upgrade, because it doesn't find the new firmware.  I strongly believe, the servers in China are not reachable performant enough, and that's the reason.

8 hours ago, US69 said:

You Need at least the new app, i would recommend better using android instead of IOS.

Urps, plz do not use the I.. word in my presence, I'm no friend of crippleware Unix systems, even if they power otherwise useless peach or pear gadgets. ? 

Only real Linux counts (Android). ?

8 hours ago, US69 said:

If this prompt does NOT come from alone, the upgrade Servers are down at the Moment. i would then recommend to try later.

I'm trying since several days, forenoon, afternoon, noon, midnight, always the same:

ks16s.jpg.03c3f718cf1f885f60e729f5a491e04f.jpg

8 hours ago, US69 said:

In the Moment they have some probs with Speed unlocking and registering, so might be they have taken down the Server, or so...

Unfortunatly i dont have theFirmware file, i guess the normal user wont save it, or?

I also believe there are troubles with the servers. In earlier times some users here (including me) used to keep old apps and wheel firmwares, just to make them available for others later. For KS wheels it's difficult, but not impossible, it's just necessary to copy the file after download with a good filemanager on the phone, and before loading it to the wheel.  I was in the hope somebody has FW 1.03 or so.

1 hour ago, HermanTheGerman said:

.  I strongly believe, the servers in China are not reachable performant enough, and that's the reason

Seems so. It asks me to update the app, changes to chrome and nothing happens. Could maybe also be some permission prob?

And new firmware version is also shown as V-.--

23 hours ago, Chriull said:

Seems so. It asks me to update the app, changes to chrome and nothing happens. Could maybe also be some permission prob?

Yes, could be, that the "China-Firewall" denies these connections since some time.  But it is Kingsongs duty to take care of that, if they want to sell wheels in Europe.

Hi,

I have also tried to get the new app working on my iPhone and it has not been possible to register it. The reason for that is the iPhone 5 such a small screen. It is not possible to click to approve the Kin Songs Terms of Use because this function do not fit on the screen.

So, yesterday I bought an Android phone :thumbup:

With the latest Android 8.1 version is it no longer possible to download third-part apps. It should be possible (in the theory) to do that by turning on the "lock screen feature" or by "allowing" uploads through Google Chrome. I also loaded the app to my Google Drive portfolio and via Drive load the app to my phone. No shortcuts worked and the system did not accepted King Songs new app.

So if you have Android 8.0 or newer on your phone, it looks like . . . :furious:

I really hope that King Song makes it available from Google Play! Now is my wheel set on expert mode, for me it would suit better beginners mode, but I can not change this.

Regards

Carl

41 minutes ago, dismason said:

With the latest Android 8.1 version is it no longer possible to download third-part apps. It should be possible (in the theory) to do that by turning on the "lock screen feature" or by "allowing" uploads through Google Chrome. I also loaded the app to my Google Drive portfolio and via Drive load the app to my phone. No shortcuts worked and the system did not accepted King Songs new app.

One can download the apk directly from their hosting site:

I have just seen, that the download link from www.kingsong.com support app download points to the same location. But it's still version 1.47 and not the new to be released 1.48

On 5/3/2018 at 6:40 AM, dismason said:

Good news!

I received information from KingSong today that they start working on the next version of the app on the 20th of this month.

Once this is completed, it will be available from Google Play also.
Carl

For me thats not good news.  If they start to work on a new version on 20th May, you can expect it to be available not before end of November.

And I REALLY would like to firmware upgrade my KS16S, because the "Hello Kingsong - Lu Toose is offf" greeting annoys me, though it is as far not as loud as on my former KS16B. ?

Edited by HermanTheGerman

@dismason Ok, I see what you are saying now. I actually did not try it until now, and my phone just updated to 8.0 a couple weeks ago.  I think I used to be able to just click on the APK and have it install. FOUND WHAT I HAD TO DO. Hopefully works for you.

1) Go to My Files

2) Select APK.

3) It works!

If it doesn't work, you have to go to SETTINGS, LOCK SCREEN AND SECURITY, Unknown Sources, and move slider to enable. Then do steps above.

Hopefully that works for you. I dunno, maybe they just moved these options around. ?

Edited by Circuitmage
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

@dismason Ok, I see what you are saying now. I actually did not try it until now, and my phone just updated to 8.0 a couple weeks ago.  I think I used to be able to just click on the APK and have it install. FOUND WHAT I HAD TO DO. Hopefully works for you.

1) Go to My Files

2) Select APK.

3) It works!

If it doesn't work, you have to go to SETTINGS, LOCK SCREEN AND SECURITY, Unknown Sources, and move slider to enable. Then do steps above.

Hopefully that works for you. I dunno, maybe they just moved these options around. ?

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me detailed instructions. I tried these options but it appears that the "firewall" in my android 8.1 phone prevents all third party apps. It starts downloading it but interrupts it after a fraction of a second. 
King Song has now promised that the next verion will be abled to download from Google Play.
The wheel is set to expert mode so I can wait, I'm still in the learning stage.
Greetings from Finland
Carl

Downloaded an App Installer from Google Play, so now I got the King Song App to work in my cell phone. There is a lot of installers to choose from, but I chosed the app you can see in the picture.

AppInstaller.jpg.ca06add3a119ff25ce81f7a5ad474d46.jpg

The main reason for the problem was the download source, Google classified the electricunicycle.eu as an unsafe site.
Carl

On 5/8/2018 at 8:29 AM, novazeus said:

ya, mines a brick now.a brick with purdy lites. can’t turn it off, nothing.

20180508_021713

These lights mean, you have interfered with the upgrade process after only approximately 35% of the firmware have been uploaded.

It's clear, that it doesn't work now. Just follow the instructions from your own app screenshot to recover the wheel, or see them also in the right screenhot at my post here.

yeah the upgrade process just stopped. i couldn't spend the night outside waiting for the upgrade. unfortunately my wireless connection is bad indoors and i thought the upgrade would take less than an hour.

6 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Then you must connect manually.  I know people who broke it too, and the recovery worked this way.

how do u connect manually? nothing works. i go to my settings and my phone sees the wheel but won't pair.