KS 14s cutout!

Shad0z

On 4/23/2018 at 10:12 AM, Shad0z said:

so i was in a group ride, i was riding next to a newer  rider who a few weeks ago got his ks14s 850wh

and towards end of the day he still had about 50 percent battery

and we decided to ride a little down the road at moderate speed.

and his wheel simply, cut out and he faceplanted and his hands were bleeding he hit his head and the wheel rolled to the side

... everything fine and 50 percent battery and it cut out at about 25 kph (he is 90 kg) but he was still riding carefully

On 4/24/2018 at 11:48 PM, Shad0z said:

... Especially when he is 100% convinced that it cutoff randomly for no reason. Not the low power motor, not any bad algorithms. Nothing. He is just convinced it cut out for ni reason and it will happen to any other euc..

He should log his rides with wheellog, so we can (maybe) tell him afterwards if it was a random cutout or a "normal overlean" ;)

Assuming that the 800 W KS14S with the 850Wh battery could be comparabe to the KS16B with also 800W motor and 680Wh battery (should be same amount of parallel cells?) i looked at the one overlean log again i got from the KS16B (https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7855-anatomy-of-an-overlean/)

There the KS16B had ~62V which should be around 75%? For overleaning at ~27km/h some "real" acceleration was needed!

So your friends opinion of a random cutout could be true...

don't know how much burden a "new" riders imbalance can bring. Also beeing "the new rider" with a group of experienced riders with stronger wheels makes one progress too fast with high speeds and accelerations. Maybe his battery pack is a bit below average quality? Could be some small issues adding up, but imho at ~25 km/h without acceleration or incline an overlean should be quite unlikely.

But without logs it's really hard to say anything - speed estimates are normally very very inaccurate... and feelings for acceleration too. Also moving around the wheel to balance oneself can lead to some real hard short time accelerations.

On 4/23/2018 at 4:12 AM, Shad0z said:

so i was in a group ride, i was riding next to a newer  rider who a few weeks ago got his ks14s 850wh

and we were riding slowly and carefully with a few other riders.

and towards end of the day he still had about 50 percent battery

and we decided to ride a little down the road at moderate speed.

and his wheel simply, cut out and he faceplanted and his hands were bleeding he hit his head and the wheel rolled to the side

i helped him but he was hurting so we checked the wheel... everything fine and 50 percent battery and it cut out at about 25 kph (he is 90 kg) but he was still riding carefully

he had tiltback set to 30 kph and alarms to 27, and there was no beeps, at all and it was on a straight even road

an unfortunate accident. does anyone have a good explanation for this? or what happened? 

This is very similar to what happened with my 14D. It shut off on me twice . (As in fully powered down resulting in the wheel cutting off and going “limp”) The first time was at a low speed coming off a1-2” lip on my patio . I picked it back up , powered it on and all seemed fine . Continued on for about a mile went over another small bump (slightly raised section of sidewalk..again about 1-2” ) nothing major at all. This time I was moving at close to 15mph the wheel shut off and dropped me on my face . I again picked it up and it powered back on normally. Rode it very slowly to work and then home again. I did not ride the wheel again. Just not worth the risk . Something is obviously amiss . My recommendation would be to not ride it anymore .

Archived