Today I have changed the tire on my KinSong 16-C. Could not find any "Mad Carl" tire so I had to mount a "Mad Mike". I also intended to check out what causes noises as if something is loose inside the shell during drive. It's the first time I change a bicycle tire and it did not feel so difficult at all. A lot of good tutorials on YouTube.

Schwalbe_Mad_Mike.jpeg.70b0d7f810bc3697af060b25a64a1ed0.jpeg

"Mad Mike" feels good and with the right tools and some soapy water, the job went quickly.

White_KS16C.jpeg.85db1c5e3a19ca8fe4079565b8b9e624.jpeg

The reason for the extra noise is caused by the shell. All the small screws have been tightened so tight that the plastic have been damaged on my wheel. The screws on the upper part could not be removed, they had melted down to the plastic.
Another suprise is that my EUC is a white model painted black. All parts on the bike were very dirty and looked as if they had been mounted in a coal mine.

Tomorrow shall I test ride my new tire in the woods.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Didn’t you purchase the wheel as new?

It looks like only the side shell covers are white plastic painted black, all else being black plastic. The inner shell is white on the white model. On my silver 16S the inner shell is also white, and the top part is silver plastic. My guess is that either the side shell covers have been replaced and painted, or that is just how it comes from the factory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Didn’t you purchase the wheel as new?

It looks like only the side shell covers are white plastic painted black, all else being black plastic. The inner shell is white on the white model. On my silver 16S the inner shell is also white, and the top part is silver plastic. My guess is that either the side shell covers have been replaced and painted, or that is just how it comes from the factory. 

Thanks for your comment.

I bought it from www.electricunicycles.eu as a new one but I can see now that probably both outer shell have been replaced and painted. I do not know why and were, in China or Poland. What now annoys me is that they made the job sloppy. I try to fix it and make the best of this situation.

• Like 1

I have now come home from my first test ride with "Mad Mike".

Was it worth it to change from a new Kenda to an new Schwalbe tire? Absolutely! My KingSong is now much more stable to ride and the unpleasant vibrations caused by the original tire are gone. My EUC is also easier to control after this change and feel safer on all surfaces such as asphalt, gravel, grass and sand. It actually feels like I've got a new bike. The rubber is also softer on "Mad Mike" so the ride do not feel so hard anymore.

MadMikeKs16C.thumb.jpg.eac2a2bb5baab1079226216cb2eb1433.jpg

Speedy feet UK have previously done a tutorial about the Schwalbe tire and they claimed it made more noise than the original wheel. This is not true. The sound is different but definitely not louder. My rides is now much more fun!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for info dismason, good stuff.

I have been hesitant to even consider these type of tires cause I ride in the city and don't want extra noise or that stud feeling to the tire.

But then again I don't have vibrations and tire is pretty quiet as is and certainly do not need to swap anytime soon, but good info I will be forced to change it sooner or later if keeping this EUC so all input is appreciated.

• Like 1

Regarding tires in general, what I wanted try for some time is something like this:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/crazy_bob

But where to find a good quality one at 16", anyone know or seen something?

Tried something like this some years ago on a bike and was fantastic feeling on all surfaces, sure on the dirt track only one type of pattern (although with variations) will suffice, but in all honesty these are not dirt bikes and not even capable of shuffling dirt like one so a different thing all together.

Obliviously the threat is for wherever one ride the most on and no such thing a perfect all round tire supreme at all surfaces, I don't seek perfection everywhere either but I happen to ride a bit on a surface typical to where I live even today, paved with setts and come autumn with rain and leaves on it can be incredibly slippery. That's the surface the tire I once tried truly shined at but good in general, reading views on for ex Amazon it seams as it's still appreciated.

• Upvote 1

dismason , Thanks for the great posts.  Sorry to hear of all the problems you have had with your King Song.  I knew that improvements had been made in the newer wheels but did not fully appreciate the  impact.  That new tire sure does look cool.   :efee6b18f3:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Electroman said:

Regarding tires in general, what I wanted try for some time is something like this:

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/crazy_bob

But where to find a good quality one at 16", anyone know or seen something?

Tried something like this some years ago on a bike and was fantastic feeling on all surfaces, sure on the dirt track only one type of pattern (although with variations) will suffice, but in all honesty these are not dirt bikes and not even capable of shuffling dirt like one so a different thing all together.

Obliviously the threat is for wherever one ride the most on and no such thing a perfect all round tire supreme at all surfaces, I don't seek perfection everywhere either but I happen to ride a bit on a surface typical to where I live even today, paved with setts and come autumn with rain and leaves on it can be incredibly slippery. That's the surface the tire I once tried truly shined at but good in general, reading views on for ex Amazon it seams as it's still appreciated.

Thank you for your nice comments!
I also mostly drive in the urban environment on asphalt. But I do not feel so much of the rubber stud with high tire pressure. In the woods, I reduce the tire pressure to 2.5bar (36.2psi). We have a forest track near us that is 10km long (6.2mi). So for this place I in the first place purchased "Mad Mike". This wheel feels stable in all pressures.
What do you think of these tires: http://www.hartex.in/events/nggallery/slideshow?page_id=168 do this look interesting?

Regards

Carl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dismason said:

Thank you for your nice comments!
I also mostly drive in the urban environment on asphalt. But I do not feel so much of the rubber stud with high tire pressure. In the woods, I reduce the tire pressure to 2.5bar (36.2psi). We have a forest track near us that is 10km long (6.2mi). So for this place I in the first place purchased "Mad Mike". This wheel feels stable in all pressures.
What do you think of these tires: http://www.hartex.in/events/nggallery/slideshow?page_id=168 do this look interesting?

Regards

Carl

Thanks, will have a look.

Yeah fully understandable and nice to hear they do not create a problem on flat surfaces like asphalt, can only imagine the usefulness riding on a forest track, must check up what I can find here cause sounds like lots of fun. ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dismason said:

The lady got bruises.

so what about the woman? did she try to blame u because u were on that weird contraption?

humans are unbelievable about how self centered they are when out in public. 

sometimes when i’m feeling aggravated by their complete lack of manners, i’ll see one of them blindly gonna walk into me, while i’m walking, not on a wheel, i’ll just freeze in place and let them bounce off of me. 

cows are much smarter than humans.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 3

On 6/22/2018 at 6:23 PM, dismason said:

Thanks for your comment.

I bought it from www.electricunicycles.eu as a new one but I can see now that probably both outer shell have been replaced and painted. I do not know why and were, in China or Poland. What now annoys me is that they made the job sloppy. I try to fix it and make the best of this situation.

Hi @dismason! Thank you for choosing us :) It is not possible that you've got anything else than a brand new wheel, assembled in the factory.

Both silver and black matte outer shells are "painted" in the factory (to be more precise: the factory is outsourcing the paint job). While the silver colour is a paint, the black matte finish is a special rubber-composite coating.

About the internals: please contact our service@electricunicycles.eu - remember that your wheel is covered by a 2-year warranty. If you have any issues, we will be glad to offer you a solution.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/14/2018 at 5:40 PM, dismason said:

When riding a lot, you become more confident and it seems as the entire protection equipment was an unnecessary purchase. But what do you say if and when the first accident happens? My first accident happend today after 750 km (472mi) of drivings.

I was rolling over a bridge to continue my journey into a forest path. The bridge was full of tourists walking towards to a restaurant in the harbor area here in my hometown. From elsewhere a car drove up on the bridge and I started to slow down my speed. Suddenly one of the tourists decided to run over to the other side of the birdge and she smashed into me with such a power that I flew off the wheel. I landed on my knees, then on the elbow and after that on my face.

The lady got bruises. I managed completely without any kind of damages. So it was worth buying high quality protective equipment:

What did I learn from today's event? I will continue to use all my protecting equipment. For every mile I become a better rider, but someone else can (when you not expect it) cause an accident.

Drive carefully and safely!

I hear you Dismason, I wrote about in another thread today or at very least hinted at how people here move into the bike lanes while actually looking down on their screens, totally in FB land or whatever getting 1 of likely hundreds of daily social-opiate kicks and far, far from the the real world in which they move physically. Others seams to believe walking 5 or 6 people next to each other covering pedestrians part, bike lanes, heck all of the road is just daily routine here in Stockholm city that is so full of people putting self above anything else, crap I don't remember the world being like this just 20 years ago when people where polite, maybe a bit shy as Swedes but polite in general (yes exceptions did exist back then too haha) and not like the self absorbed youth of today chewing bubble gum laughing at anything stupid cause it's what they do and must be like everyone else, scared out of their mind being different like it's a bad thing?

Yeah when I ride the bike lanes here I scan the pavement far ahead of me trying to pick up and everything, being prepared to take action at all times, when I drive a car in the city I often think about it too and fully aware I could kill a Twitter head who just step straight out cause cannot wait for green or just totally busy with the virtual world, while being his own fault of course it would feel real shitty sitting behind the wheel if that were to happen so?

So yeah I totally understand and would love to have twice or 3 times the stopping power of my ACM, it is absolutely the wheel stopping me from coming to a halt earlier now, in the beginning it felt like the braking distance was better than I expected but once getting used to the wheel I love to just lean so aggressive I can physically touch the asphalt but yeah if going very slow and people too close make a sudden move like that it could be hard to avoid.  Very glad your equipment saved you, I will buy/order some more protective stuff too come pay day 25:th, but curiosity is taking over here, please tell us more Dismason.. 

Was she too ok after the incident?

Was she chocked, blamed you or herself for what happen, saw it as just an incident with no blame or how did she take it?

• Like 1

I will never forget what our motorcycle instructor said 20 years ago: "Assume that every car will try to run you over." That's how I ride the EUC. I will not give any pedestrian, bicycle or a car driver the power to crash into me. I hope I will keep succeeding.

Once a woman was coming towards me pushing a stroller on my side of the road from behind a bush covered corner. Luckily I will never go faster than to be able to stop on the visible section of the road. The woman got a good scare though. I hope she'll use the right side of the road from now on, as I know most bicyclist (and every single scooterist) are not as careful as I am.

Needless to say, being this careful is a bit stressful, so I much rather ride where and when there are not much others around.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Electroman said:

please tell us more Dismason.. 

Was she too ok after the incident?

Was she chocked, blamed you or herself for what happen, saw it as just an incident with no blame or how did she take it?

We Finns are famous for taking sauna baths at extremely high temperatures, more than 100 Celsius (° C) = 212,00 fahrenheit (° F). But if the weather exceeds a temperature of 25 celsius (° c) = 77,00 fahrenheit (° f) or more, then we run like a headless hens. So I put the blame completely on the weather in this case ☀️.
The people at the bridge were a bit shocked by how violently I fell off the wheel. The woman took the blame on her self and she did not received damage worth to be mentioned.

This week I was in an almost identical accident in the center of our city. This time it was a woman who saw a dress at discount in a window that ran straight on me. Now I got the whole accident filmed with my GoPro camera and I will later publish it on the forum.
Thanks for your comment, and drive carefully ?.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Justina said:

Hi @dismason! Thank you for choosing us :) It is not possible that you've got anything else than a brand new wheel, assembled in the factory.

Both silver and black matte outer shells are "painted" in the factory (to be more precise: the factory is outsourcing the paint job). While the silver colour is a paint, the black matte finish is a special rubber-composite coating.

About the internals: please contact our service@electricunicycles.eu - remember that your wheel is covered by a 2-year warranty. If you have any issues, we will be glad to offer you a solution.

Thanks for your response @Justina.

All the problems I had with the wheel are now resolved. I got all the help I needed from my friends on this forum. The repairs have been made here in my workshop and the wheel got a new matt black surface last Friday.

Kind regards

Carl

8 hours ago, dismason said:

We Finns are famous for taking sauna baths at extremely high temperatures, more than 100 Celsius (° C) = 212,00 fahrenheit (° F). But if the weather exceeds a temperature of 25 celsius (° c) = 77,00 fahrenheit (° f) or more, then we run like a headless hens. So I put the blame completely on the weather in this case ☀️.
The people at the bridge were a bit shocked by how violently I fell off the wheel. The woman took the blame on her self and she did not received damage worth to be mentioned.

This week I was in an almost identical accident in the center of our city. This time it was a woman who saw a dress at discount in a window that ran straight on me. Now I got the whole accident filmed with my GoPro camera and I will later publish it on the forum.
Thanks for your comment, and drive carefully ?.

Yeah I know, lot's of the migrating Fins here live in the area I grew up up in and hence became friends with the boys my age.

But yeah as far as summer temperatures go I go nuts too, sauna is temporary but this sun + high temperatures all day when working physically hard is just too much for a northerner I suspect?  Well I do know other people of other origin here that think it's borderline cold crazy as that is, but so again they cannot move outside at -10 not to mention -20 or under so all different I suppose. ?

2yys2ac.jpg

That is here right now and many friends read 34 at their places in city core a few days ago, one day is ok for me but this looking at prognosis after 2 weeks and nothing expected to change soon? It's weird cause many in other areas in the country are reporting different weather but yeah 20 is just fine for me.

Like mrelwook saying, we have got to be aware cause I think pedestrians just do not always think first, but woman + discounted window dress, should sen that coming my friend? Hehe all jokes aside I love to watch the clip later, can barely wait.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still collecting material to my first euc-video. Do not worry, it's coming soon ?️. But today something happened that is related to our riding safety. A mom wanted me to stop driving while I was passing her and her three-year-old daughter on the sidewalk. "Thank you so much for passing us at such a low speed, I appreciate that a lot!" she said to me. 
Be careful out there, especially if you see young children near by. You will be appreciated for that by other people.

My 1000 mile milestone is near to be broken and I have not yet found the slalom button on my KS16-C.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, dismason said:

I'm still collecting material to my first euc-video. Do not worry, it's coming soon ?️. But today something happened that is related to our riding safety. A mom wanted me to stop driving while I was passing her and her three-year-old daughter on the sidewalk. "Thank you so much for passing us at such a low speed, I appreciate that a lot!" she said to me. 
Be careful out there, especially if you see young children near by. You will be appreciated for that by other people.

My 1000 mile milestone is near to be broken and I have not yet found the slalom button on my KS16-C.

I though a lot about this phenomena lately, I am not sure if related to geographical areas overall in general (not applying to all I get that) but I have noticed that to me it comes very natural to slow down a crawl when passing or meeting pedestrians on the sidewalk, literally slower than I walk. People here never give any trouble riding this thing but I see a lot of YouTube videos where they go much faster by people than I do or any other EUC rider I have seen here and lots of people commenting also seam to think this is the way it's done? Other ride in traffic and way too close to and around cars for my taste and no matter how good you are we are still human beings and we do mistakes, we do miss things and drivers around us could suddenly brake or turn into us, heck some even drive while looking down their screens and that never fail to amaze me?

So cannot help but wonder if geographical differences or just a coincident? I could go a bit faster around people but still within what I consider safe speed and some margin so I can stop but the way I see it, why not just give even better margins and it's win/win in the end of the day cause honestly I don't loose a lot of time by doing this but I do keep the pedestrians around me happy and just seeing them feel safe around me and my EUC is great and will have them not look down on EUC riders etc. I slow down for all people all the time, but if small children around of course it is mega crawl mode and constantly scanning my surroundings. I wonder about this cause most video I see of riding around people go by much faster than I do but none seam seem to react at all, heck I see video on here posted where no one react so curious if being extreme and going overboard or not, I slow down for all sake but but extra slow mode on is for them mainly to have them stay happy and feel respected.

I used to live very close to the dirt track where I was a member and competed when younger, sometimes I even rode the bike directly there but had to go through a few hundred meters of road and through a village where people just hear me and if accelerating a bit just from first to second gear and may sound like 100km/h to some people and they get upset but it's more of a illusion and thinking things move very fast cause of that aggressive sounding high rpm 2 stroke, it may still be under 50km/h but just could not make them believe me cause of what they heard so made assumptions. At least these are electric! ?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, dismason said:

Thanks for your comment @Electroman , I liked it! The same in Swedish: Kanonfin kommentar ?

Hehe thanks dismason, appreciate and really wish I could say the same in Finish but I cannot, well only though translate and not just quite the same ad only few worlds my friends tough me in Finish but only no good words! ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've reached my first thousand miles with my KingSong today. I like to celebrate this by starting editing my first EUC video. If you want to influence the content, I would like suggestions and wishes from you. Thanks :cheers:
The theme is: Electric Unicycle - Safety Riding
This video contains a real EUC accident.

• Like 1

Often, those who sell these EUC devices promise a longer mileage for the wheel than it actually can do. So, one of the reasons that made me to choose KS16-C was the promised mileage of 70 km (43.5mi) of full charge. Today I tested it with start from 100% battery. 
I rode a nonstop trip without stops. 30 km (18.6mi) of my journey was a enduro trail so the wheel was receiving a lot of stress. The profile of the track is from sea level to +80 m (263ft). I weighted with all equipment today 71 kg (157 lbs). The end result is seen from this pics.

ScreenShot_71a.thumb.jpg.79280754d1d0a226c953b054996566a5.jpg  ScreenShot_71b.thumb.jpg.a33a604d186b7c92bc038796d8e96d9e.jpg

Fairly impressive, keeps well against the bigger wheels performance!

• Like 1