My Inmotion V10F Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, that0n3guy said:

I'm a noob at this so pardon my beginner question, but can you ride a max speed? or is that a no-no (ie, high risk of face pancakes)

I thought tilt back was at 80% of max.   Does it tilt back at max speed or at 80% max speed safely? 

80% max is specifically the Gotway figure for the last alarm / max speed.

All the other EUC makers notch that threshold lower, more conservative. The tiltbacks on non-Gotway wheels are arbitrary and software-limited to a definite number, not power, and typically well below 80% power in terms of max speed cap.

With all EUC's you can ride the max speed up to the initiation of last alarm beeps / warning (Gotway) and/or tiltback (all other EUC makers), but riding and pushing harder and faster past that is at risk of high speed cutout (read: faceplant).

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks, and thanks for the bit about my name. I didn't know that.

I'm 1/4 Swedish, from my Grandmothers side :)

Ohhh dear. But Marty you look cool in your EUC videos. How can you possible be Swedish related?

You do know the "real" vikings came from Denmark/Norway? The Swedes were just "farmers". But needles to say should you ever find your way to the westcoast of Sweden, I simply got to met a EUC-celeb like you :cheers:

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Ohhh dear. But Marty you look cool in your EUC videos. How can you possible be Swedish related?

You do know the "real" vikings came from Denmark/Norway? The Swedes were just "farmers". But needles to say should you ever find your way to the westcoast of Sweden, I simply got to met a EUC-celeb like you :cheers:

:D, and very funny. I'm afraid to say this, but you kind of brought it up. I'm also 1/4 Norwegian :huh:

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

80% max is specifically the Gotway figure for the last alarm / max speed.

All the other EUC makers notch that threshold lower, more conservative. The tiltbacks on non-Gotway wheels are arbitrary and software-limited to a definite number, not power, and typically well below 80% power in terms of max speed cap.

With all EUC's you can ride the max speed up to the initiation of last alarm beeps / warning (Gotway) and/or tiltback (all other EUC makers), but riding and pushing harder and faster past that is at risk of high speed cutout (read: faceplant).

Awesome explanation.   I didn't know the 80% thing was a gotway thing.  So i shouldn't worry as much on my 800w 14c about the 80% thing then as well I think.

8 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

Awesome explanation.   I didn't know the 80% thing was a gotway thing.  So i shouldn't worry as much on my 800w 14c about the 80% thing then as well I think.

Sure thing~

Just pop open your app and do a lift, no load test until the wheel cuts out , and you’ll see how much buffer there is between theoretical no load max vs actual user-settable max speed.

In terms of the low speed / high power scenario, if I’m not mistaken, your KS14C should have an overpower beep warning. EUC companies don’t usually publish what that threshold is though.

11 hours ago, thefork said:

...Too bad it came to a premature end, isn't it (@Hunka Hunka Burning Love I know what you're thinking here ?)?

... Come early autum I will be doing laps of honour on the victor in all her marvellous glory! Hmm, perhaps that's the name I shall give her: Victor. ?

:efef585a74:  Mu must resist... gah oh what the heck...

I hope you have many long, enjoyable rides on Victor, and may all of them have a happy ending that doesn't end prematurely.  Take pleasure in Victor's girthy wheel thickness as you gently embrace every inch of his slim form factor between your legs.  

I hear that the ride feel is firm yet somewhat supple.  Feel confident as you grasp Victor's rigid shaft as you deploy it into the upward trolley position.  Just use caution if you plan on having too long of a rigorous ride as Victor may collapse from heat exhaustion.  Also remember to use protection during rough riding as I hear the rubber can be slippery. <insert innocent whistling emoji here>

Edit:  You do realize Victor is traditionally a male name, right? ?

Man, I'm so split on this wheel and the Gotway Tesla. I've officially ordered the V10F already, but I'm considering asking Jason if I can switch to the Tesla.

I'm not a trail rider, so I much prefer speed over torque. I was hoping the Inmotion would be better built and more reliable, but that handle is really atrocious and judging by the fact the wheel died, the reliability is not guaranteed. I wonder if Gotway will add the improved construction and board from the Msuper X to the Tesla eventually...

16 minutes ago, King Llama said:

Man, I'm so split on this wheel and the Gotway Tesla. I've officially ordered the V10F already, but I'm considering asking Jason if I can switch to the Tesla.

I'm not a trail rider, so I much prefer speed over torque. I was hoping the Inmotion would be better built and more reliable, but that handle is really atrocious and judging by the fact the wheel died, the reliability is not guaranteed. I wonder if Gotway will add the improved construction and board from the Msuper X to the Tesla eventually...

If you are really a Speed demon, i would definitly go for the Tesla. It is a Speed AND torque monster

Be Aware that the V10F announced 40kmh max, are only working for a complete full battery and the tiltback directly starts to degrade on the V10.

10 hours ago, Unventor said:

We were all vikings, it's just that the Swedes went east rather than west. We f-cked up the Germans, Poles, Finns, Balts, Beorussians and Ukranians rather than the Brits and the French. :D

I guess the "loveless" relationship between us and Mother Russia has a very long history... :roflmao:

7 hours ago, King Llama said:

I got a few higher speed road miles in and my impression of the V10F is that it's a solid 20 - 22 mph wheel but to go faster requires more effort than the Tesla (or ACM or MSuper or Monster). And at something like ~21mph (I didn't have time to fully quantify it) it starts tilting back (very slight), I guess to warn you that you're going 'really fast'. It's easy to continue riding, but it's there.

So if you're someone who enjoys higher speeds (even a little), the V10F will bother you. The Tesla is very easy to go 25-mph without even thinking about it, and you still have a lot of headroom.

For me, someone with many wheels to pick from, I would primarily enjoy the V10F around town and in the dirt trails.

I will say that much of my riding is a bit below 21-mph, so the V10F felt like it was delivering all the speed I asked from it. However, just about every ride there will be spurts where I accelerate into the mid-20's, and that just would not happen with the V10F. This would bother me. Finally, because it failed early I never had the opportunity to see how it behaved below 60% battery.

P.s I'm not trying to sell the V10F, but it's probably unfair to blame my failed V10F on poor product reliability. It's my understanding that the wheel had lots of hand soldering and other work done to it (a preproduction copy).

P.s.s I just rode my Tesla yesterday afternoon (it had been a few weeks). It really is a sweet ride :D

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:D, and very funny. I'm afraid to say this, but you kind of brought it up. I'm also 1/4 Norwegian :huh:

YAEY..there is hope ????

Well posted all in good spirit. 

7 hours ago, US69 said:

If you are really a Speed demon, i would definitly go for the Tesla. It is a Speed AND torque monster

I Love Speed!! ? Well I use to. I will need to control my urges in a few eeeks. 

54 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So if you're someone who enjoys higher speeds (even a little), the V10F will bother you. The Tesla is very easy to go 25-mph without even thinking about it, and you still have a lot of headroom.

Suppose I’ll have the best of both worlds....fast and slow. Did you try riding the V10 backwards? My Tesla really grabbed my attention when I rode it in reverse for a brief moment a few weeks back. I immediately quit and decided to wait until I’m fully healed. 

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I Love Speed!! ? Well I use to. I will need to control my urges in a few eeeks. 

Suppose I’ll have the best of both worlds....fast and slow. Did you try riding the V10 backwards? My Tesla really grabbed my attention when I rode it in reverse for a brief moment a few weeks back. I immediately quit and decided to wait until I’m fully healed. 

I can't remember if I rode backwards - if I did it was probably just a few feet. I had this intention of doing all kinds of street riding/testing but the damn wheel quit working on me :crying:

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I can't remember if I rode backwards - if I did it was probably just a few feet. I had this intention of doing all kinds of street riding/testing but the damn wheel quit working on me :crying:

I've little doubt @Bobwheel and @Jeffrey Scott Will will get another one to you just as soon as they can. Hopefully with the new app and factory grade board construction. I think your review showed the wheel has some great potential and highlighted a few things worth a second look by their engineers such as official pedal inserts using grip tape (easy to swap/drop in with the rubber version) and handle improvements. Speaking of the handle I wonder if a second stiff hinge near the handle tip allowing it to pivot down slightly and so provide a longer horizontal portion would work to address your comment of increased ability to twist the wheel around objects. I would also shorten in a little which I understand wouldn't be a bad thing.

Well I hope they release the new app for Android 8 soon. So I can get wheel info again as my BT connection seems to be "broke" after I tried to use wheellog (which I never got to work with the V8).

Once I have learned to ride my V8 I consider to upgrade to the V10 or maybe V10f. ( @Bobwheel are listning here?)

Oh btw my cable tv signal is out of order?So I have been watching @Marty Backe on repeat youtube app on the 55" tv in 4k. ?Repeat, rewind and end less loop ?:popcorn:

One day maybe I have trained up my body to do same riding skills...I hope.

50 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I've little doubt @Bobwheel and @Jeffrey Scott Will will get another one to you just as soon as they can. Hopefully with the new app and factory grade board construction. I think your review showed the wheel has some great potential and highlighted a few things worth a second look by their engineers such as official pedal inserts using grip tape (easy to swap/drop in with the rubber version) and handle improvements. Speaking of the handle I wonder if a second stiff hinge near the handle tip allowing it to pivot down slightly and so provide a longer horizontal portion would work to address your comment of increased ability to twist the wheel around objects. I would also shorten in a little which I understand wouldn't be a bad thing.

No wheel is perfect and I think for the V10F, its trolley handle will always be controversial. Hopefully Inmotion will at least provide a handle that has a stiff hinge mechanism instead of the very loose one on the pre-production units.

And I understand why they went with this handle. If I had to choose between the sub-par handle and the extra battery capacity, I'll take the batteries every time. 

22 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Oh btw my cable tv signal is out of order?So I have been watching @Marty Backe on repeat youtube app on the 55" tv in 4k. ?Repeat, rewind and end less loop ?:popcorn:

One day maybe I have trained up my body to do same riding skills...I hope.

:laughbounce2:

The 4k YouTube videos really do look nice when played on a compatible screen. We have a 65-inch OLED 4K TV and the videos look awesome on it :thumbup:  Glad someone is viewing them at 4k res.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

:laughbounce2:

The 4k YouTube videos really do look nice when played on a compatible screen. We have a 65-inch OLED 4K TV and the videos look awesome on it :thumbup:  Glad someone is viewing them at 4k res.

Marty "mr Gadget" Backe strikes again :laughbounce2:

You have the stuff I want, but can't get through the priorities of the home government... but I can always leak some drool... :dribble:

9 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Marty "mr Gadget" Backe strikes again :laughbounce2:

You have the stuff I want, but can't get through the priorities of the home government... but I can always leak some drool... :dribble:

I know it's still pricey, but the price of OLEDs has really dropped (at least in the United States). My LG model was ~$2600. I do warn people shopping for TVs; don't let your eyes view an OLED TV unless you are prepared to buy one, because you will be forever spoiled by the experience :)

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I know it's still pricey, but the price of OLEDs has really dropped (at least in the United States). My LG model was ~$2600. I do warn people shopping for TVs; don't let your eyes view an OLED TV unless you are prepared to buy one, because you will be forever spoiled by the experience :)

I know, I've seen the picture quality. Took me a bloody week to get the drool of my chin.

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Well since I doubt I have as large a living room as your mansion Lord @Marty Backe mine 55" 2017 LG OLED with LG Atomos soundbar fits me just fine. 

Now I am waiting for you to blast out awesome 4k HDR videos in Dolby Atomos soundtracks ? 

As for myself I might just play with a few cams (dslr videos) and a tripod at my local school yard this weekend. Unfortunately, my company do not specialize in action cams.

It could be fun to do a few videoclips of speedy-cat aka @Scatcat since we are in same city more or less ?A “few” far spotted him from my work commenting on his laid-back style and near sound barrier speeding around my worksite.

19 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well since I doubt I have as large a living room as your mansion Lord @Marty Backe mine 55" 2017 LG OLED with LG Atomos soundbar fits me just fine. 

Now I am waiting for you to blast out awesome 4k HDR videos in Dolby Atomos soundtracks ? 

As for myself I might just play with a few cams (dslr videos) and a tripod at my local school yard this weekend. Unfortunately, my company do not specialize in action cams.

It could be fun to do a few videoclips of speedy-cat aka @Scatcat since we are in same city more or less ?A “few” far spotted him from my work commenting on his laid-back style and near sound barrier speeding around my worksite.

I'm not THAT fast, seldom go faster than 25mph. Given the state of roads in Gothenburg, that is PLENTY fast. :laughbounce2:

But I admit seeing someone in a full face helmet going like a bat out of hell, while vaping on my mech mod, might leave an impression ;)

My dentist got a new nurse, and when she opened the door for me, she reported to the dentist that an alien was visiting... :roflmao:

We've taken back the broken V10 sample and diagnosed it, here is what we found and going to do:

1. ProblemThe battery BMS was broken because of water went inside the battery cells pack. Actually this sample was one of the very first prototype which didn't have a decent waterproof protection with the shrink wrap of the battery cells. It had been used for the V10 official video shooting in LA and the demo ride in Seattle, and it's raining during 3/19-3/22 when we shot in LA. 

2. Solution: For the mass production available for customers, we've a sealed shrink wrap and went through the IP 55, so it's already not a problem now. 

Here are some photos:

4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

1 hour ago, Bobwheel said:

We've taken back the broken V10 sample and diagnosed it, here is what we found and going to do:

1. ProblemThe battery BMS was broken because of water went inside the battery cells pack. Actually this sample was one of the very first prototype which didn't have a decent waterproof protection with the shrink wrap of the battery cells. It had been used for the V10 official video shooting in LA and the demo ride in Seattle, and it's raining during 3/19-3/22 when we shot in LA. 

2. Solution: For the mass production available for customers, we've a sealed shrink wrap and went through the IP 55, so it's already not a problem now. 

Here are some photos:

4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

I think it very comendable the open communication and engagement you have with the community @Bobwheel

Do you have anything you can share on the new app? I have run into login and BT issues with ver 6.7.4.

Archived