My Inmotion V10F Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Didn't the 18S and ACM2 make it? Or was that another hill? Getting confused:confused1: are we talking about the hill where you 14D stopped going? Hill of death that the 18S did (overheating right at the top)?

The 18S made it to within a few feet of the top and then overheated. The converted ACM2 make it to the top but with a little rest in the middle (have to baby those MOSFETs :))

The hill where I gave up with my KS14S was an experiment that I'll probably never try again. Besides being very steep, it has lots of loose gravel which causes the wheels to slip.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:31 AM, Marty Backe said:

One last initial observation: the motor is loud. It certainly doesn't have the annoying high pitched whine of the 84-volt Gotway wheels, Rockwheel, etc. But it's not nearly silent like the Tesla. It's a pleasant sound, but people will certainly hear you coming.

Hi Marty, I don't mind if people her me coming - at least you don't need to use a finger-bell :D. However, after watching your FlyBy clip I wonder if you could compare the driving noise of the V10F to the KingSong KS16...? More or less annoying while riding 30-35 Km/h? Louder?

1 hour ago, Gunthor said:

Hi Marty, I don't mind if people her me coming - at least you don't need to use a finger-bell :D. However, after watching your FlyBy clip I wonder if you could compare the driving noise of the V10F to the KingSong KS16...? More or less annoying while riding 30-35 Km/h? Louder?

I've ridden the KS16 very little, but have ridden the KS14S and KS18S for hundreds of miles. The V10F seems to be the loudest wheel that I've ever ridden at any speed. In a strange way it's not annoying - a high pitched hum vs the high pitched whine of the KingSong and Gotway wheels (except for the Tesla).

I would still prefer a quieter motor if given the choice.

28 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I've ridden the KS16 very little, but have ridden the KS14S and KS18S for hundreds of miles. The V10F seems to be the loudest wheel that I've ever ridden at any speed. In a strange way it's not annoying - a high pitched hum vs the high pitched whine of the KingSong and Gotway wheels (except for the Tesla).

i like quiet too. it seemed loud to me in Jeffrey’s video. 

guess it will keep the deer from running over me.

maybe the production models will be quieter.

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Since their is some discussion on the increased noise emitted by the V10F can you possibly record a baseline decibel level during another flyby in a similar quite zone?  Then when you have some time in the future perform similar flybys under the same conditions with your other wheels. Below is an IPhone decibel meter app that is free but the pro version costs $4.99. PM your PayPal info and I will gladly pay for the more advanced version.

40887781624_7612c7ab46_b.jpg

@Marty Backe At the risk of getting really unpopular...you could sell tickets to you go live of your videos. you would be a billionaire after the first 5 videos :D

@Rehab1 I really don't think the motor noise is an issue, it's the same noise the V8 had that only happens when rolling, and is instantly covered by any light conversation, music, and especially street noise IMHO.

Here is a clip of me doing figure 8's on the V10F, you can hear the motor noise fairly well here I think.

From the flyby video, the noise is very similar to electric skateboards.  Many of them have that kind of noise.   To me, it gives them a feeling of power.  Tesla (the cars) adds noise through the speakers b/c people feel like it has more power in doing so.  Can you imagine driving a sports car that makes virtually no noise... lame :P.   

Its not loud, its the first EUC you can HEAR the power.   The first sports-car of EUC's.  :P.

56 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Rehab1 I really don't think the motor noise is an issue, it's the same noise the V8 had that only happens when rolling, and is instantly covered by any light conversation, music, and especially street noise IMHO.

Here is a clip of me doing figure 8's on the V10F, you can hear the motor noise fairly well here I think.

Chris, a warning next time!  Motion sickness!  ?. LOL

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

:blink:  This is how I imagine @The Fat Unicyclist rides after downing a few at the Tilted Kilt!  No wonder those pedals are all scraped up!  :rolleyes:  Maaaaaybe it's time to talk about that slight drinking problem, HOJ.  ;)

EUC pedal underside skid plates!  We need 'em!

@that0n3guy I’ve heard all those eboard motors plenty here in NYC, they’re exponentially louder, audible over the loudest NYC street noise. (I was very shocked at how loud they were the first time up close and personal!).

The V10 is a baby whisper in comparison. 

48 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  This is how I imagine @The Fat Unicyclist rides after downing a few at the Tilted Kilt!  No wonder those pedals are all scraped up!  :rolleyes:  Maaaaaybe it's time to talk about that slight drinking problem, HOJ.  ;)

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love You are a treasure to be cherished on these forums~:lol:

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

I definitely like the sound and agree the noise is not excessive but others have commented they prefered something quieter. Of course spontaneous absolute silence means your about to face plant. :P

I refused to wear noise attenuating headsets when flying helicopters for basically the same reason. I always wanted to hear the constant engine sound and any fluctuation in RPMs which would help me to zero in on any problematic mechanical issues before they became serious.

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Amazing, you managed to scrape the pedals - what kind of animal are you ;)

3 hours ago, andrewnyer said:

@Marty Backe which helmet are you wearing in your video please ? Looks cool

Check the YouTube description in my latest videos. You'll find a link to it in the Safety gear section.

LS2 Rebellion

I bought it for the warmer months. The visor doesn't block as much wind as I had hoped, but it seems darker than others and does a great job at keeping the sun out of your eyes.

I have eight Gotway chargers and a couple KingSong chargers. So what fails? The one that I have no backups. Of all the bad luck, the Inmotion charger died last night midway through the charge :(

The wheel is at 85% which should be good for the Inmotion demo tonight at Griffith Park, but looks like my testing will be cut short :( Sunday was my last day with the wheel.

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

i know. i don’t know anything about 3d printers and the material they use but snap on pedal protectors sb easy i would think.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Check the YouTube description in my latest videos. You'll find a link to it in the Safety gear section.

LS2 Rebellion

I bought it for the warmer months. The visor doesn't block as much wind as I had hoped, but it seems darker than others and does a great job at keeping the sun out of your eyes.

when will the heathill video come? eagerly waiting

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I refused to wear noise attenuating headsets when flying helicopters for basically the same reason. I always wanted to hear the constant engine sound and any fluctuation in RPMs which would help me to zero in on any problematic mechanical issues before they became serious.

i do the same thing with everything. my hearing probably isn’t that great probably because of rock and roll and guns but i do pretty good on low frequencies. 

Archived