My Inmotion V10F Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

Just now, eddiemoy said:

If their motor was wound for torque and not speed, it isn't as simple as just bumping it up 5kph.  maybe it just can't go that fast.  We simply don't know if it can or cannot based on the 2000w number.  

No EUC company is winding for max torque these days, the motors are plenty powerful enough now.

Agree to disagree, let's keep it moving here, I know you won't agree ?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

ugh, this is not my point.

I don't think you understand.   The motors that inmotion and gotway have could both be made in the same factory but to very different specifications.   What you see as "better" in a gotway motor may not be what inmotion see's as "better".   Just guessing, they may be designing slightly different to maximize safety, lower amperage, keep stuff cool, etc...   while gotway might not care about some of those things.   Engineering isn't a simple "lets get what they have" thing.   You design and build to spec... even from the same factory.

6 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

I don't think you understand.   The motors that inmotion and gotway have could both be made in the same factory but to very different specifications.   What you see as "better" in a gotway motor may not be what inmotion see's as "better".   Just guessing, they may be designing slightly different to maximize safety, lower amperage, keep stuff cool, etc...   while gotway might not care about some of those things.   Engineering isn't a simple "lets get what they have" thing.   You design and build to spec... even from the same factory.

Yes, we're all just guessing here!

Agree to disagree, I'm sure there's much more interesting things to do at night in Nebraska then beating this dead horse.

AR-16486-2.jpg?1457014965

We already know and agree that some EUC companies value high speed over safety. Gotway and Rockwheel come to mind. 

Why would a safety-first company like King Song or InMotion, who limit their top speeds for safety/ethical reasons, NOT put an emphasis on torque in their motor customizations? 

If they had any choice in the matter, and they do, they would obviously request that their motors be tweaked in the factory to put an emphasis on high torque. 

The only Gotway wheels I know that have an advertised max incline angle above 25 degrees are the MCM 4 and MCM 3 HIGH TORQUE VERSIONS.

Gotway made two different versions of these wheels, high speed and high torque. Two different motors, probably made in the same factory to different specifications.

12 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

We already know and agree that some EUC companies value high speed over safety. Gotway and Rockwheel come to mind. 

Why would a safety-first company like King Song or InMotion, who limit their top speeds for safety/ethical reasons, NOT put an emphasis on torque in their motor customizations? 

If they had any choice in the matter, and they do, they would obviously request that their motors be tweaked in the factory to put an emphasis on high torque. 

The only Gotway wheels I know that have an advertised max incline angle above 25 degrees are the MCM 4 and MCM 3 HIGH TORQUE VERSIONS.

Gotway made two different versions of these wheels, high speed and high torque. Two different motors, probably made in the same factory to different specifications.

I agree with much of what you say. But Ethical??? That seems like a stretch. I can't see how morality enters the EUC design picture. And even if this were possible, how could anyone surmise that Inmotion made ethical decisions regarding their design. Is there a Corporation Mission Statement that's been circulating that I've missed  :confused1:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree with much of what you say. But Ethical??? That seems like a stretch. I can't see how morality enters the EUC design picture. And even if this were possible, how could anyone surmise that Inmotion made ethical decisions regarding their design. Is there a Corporation Mission Statement that's been circulating that I've missed  :confused1:

Yeah, InMotion people basically stated as much here on the forum at the beginning of their V10F outreach campaign. And it's not like InMotion and King Song are incapable of mounting an arms race against Gotway in the top speed department. 

3 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

The "advertised" max incline angle tells us "nothing" about the actual torque of the wheel. We have no idea about what criteria and testing environment was used in coming up those specifications. Why would any euc maker need to go above a 25 degree incline angle? If INmotion V10F spec is for degrees and not percentage, then it should be able to climb a 57% incline. The King Song's "'claimed" 35 degree incline capability = 70% incline! This seems like INmotion and King Song are putting up some ramps at crazy 30-35 degree angles and their wheels go up it. but with what weight rider? Actual on the road testing is the only thing that gives us a clue. The plus for INmotion and King Song, is they are likely "just" to over-heat, with the Gotways .. ? 

On 5/2/2018 at 5:56 AM, houseofjob said:

You somehow have the impression the V10F is tuned for more torque? 

Riding the pre-production unit, I don't feel that it was specially designed for more torque any more so than a Gotway, so I respectfully disagree any of the above applies here.

E-bike motors were the early foundation of EUC, but I believe most EUC manufacturers are outsourcing their motors to company spec (probably not the old modified e-bike motors anymore), as manufacturing their motors in-house would not be cost effective. Could be wrong here though.

Luckily, InMotion is now pretty responsive on the forums these days, so any clarification @Bobwheel?

Yes you are right, we designed our specs and let them help to manufacture the motors for us. 

• 3 weeks later...

I were wondering if it feasible to make detachable seat coussin on the Inmotion V10 series similar to Kingsong KS18s? And of course if it is possible to have a decent controllable wheel still?

Another thing I don't get is that I still have to see a wheel with standard bike head and rear light mounts and attachment for actioncam mounts. It can't be that hard to make. E.g.. in hard rubber so a wheel trouble the light could detach or come off without breaking the wheel.

@Bobwheel @Jeffrey Scott Will

23 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Another thing I don't get is that I still have to see a wheel with standard bike head and rear light mounts and attachment for actioncam mounts. It can't be that hard to make. E.g.. in hard rubber so a wheel trouble the light could detach or come off without breaking the wheel.

I use these self adhesive mounts on my wheels. They would adhere very well to the V10 due to the shell’s smooth surface. Just wipe the application area clean with rubbing alcohol. I have not applied the mounts to my V10F yet but I did apply them on both my V5F+ and V8 that have similar shells. They hold GoPros and other similar mount cameras very well and can be easily removed by using a hair dryer to soften the adhesive first before lifting them off. 

42265930601_6f4ec267b9_b.jpg

54 minutes ago, Unventor said:

if it feasible to make detachable seat coussin on the Inmotion V10 series similar to Kingsong KS18s?

ha, that’s funny, i was thinking the same thing last night and i’d never sit on any euc(because of my prostate cancer).

i’ll see what my 18s seat looks like on top and take a picture.

Do you happen to know if the V10 is better built than the V8? I am concerned to pre order and face the same issue regarding the axle made of low quality metal that was requiring to be welded after only few miles because of 'knocking'... don't want to again be the InMotion guinea pig!

1 hour ago, Fastmike said:

Do you happen to know if the V10 is better built than the V8? I am concerned to pre order and face the same issue regarding the axle made of low quality metal that was requiring to be welded after only few miles because of 'knocking'... don't want to again be the InMotion guinea pig!

InMotionV8WeakAxle.avi

This is the first I've heard of an Inmotion wheel having a weak axle. I think your case may have been abnormal. 

BTW, I am very concern by Bobwheel's comment "yes, you can ride in the rain in couples of minutes, but not too long time. ". That is a big surprize to me that had the idea wheel can be the replacement for motorcycle or other gaz/electric vehicles. What is the point to offer 50 miles range if you cannot come back if rain starts? Call for a cab? Wait hours or days for it to stop?

I have seen a bunch of people using other brand wheels daily under heavy rain, more carefully for sure, but able to commute every day bertween home and office, whatever the forecast is.

Is that not the case with InMotion products?

Thanks

Just now, WARPed1701D said:

This is the first I've heard of an Inmotion wheel having a weak axle. I think your case may have been abnormal. 

It did not happened to me but to several users in Europe (Germany, France and Belgium). e.g. https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/4545-v8-bruit-avant-arrière/ that have reprted it in different forums (e.g. . InMotion France mentionned to be aware and the solution was to weld the axle... sounds terrible to me!

None of these wheels are not waterproof and even a small amount of moisture in the wrong place could cause a short and an accident. You probably can ride in heavier rain and for longer periods with an Inmotion wheel as others do with other brands. The fact the mainboard has its own housing with a water seal in the V8 says a lot compared to other brands that just put it behind an outer cover. But Bobwheel is an Inmotion official and has to be conservative in his responses. If he said the wheel was fine in heavy rain and someone then gets hurt if it fails he would likely have a lawsuit slapped against him.

I'm sorry to hear others have had axle problems. I'm surprised I've not heard more reports of it here in the US given the nations perchance for eating too much. Maybe a bad batch in Europe? No idea. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Generally Inmotion is one of the most reliable brands. 

The choice is yours. 

My wife has ridden her V5F+ twice every day, commuting to work, rain or shine, for over a year.  She's ridden through many heavy downpours and has only had one issue, which coincided with going off a curb into a large puddle at speed.  So, maybe not as waterproof as a motorcycle, but OK for a light rain.

• 2 weeks later...

Well; I left my inmotion V8 outside on open for 6 months without touching it! (I bought another one since I don't use an EUC more than a year for safety reasons)  Mind you that I live in Netherlands and it always rains here (Trust me this is the ultimate rain test)

I really thought it would never work. When I opened inside the V8 , it was covered by sort of bugs and muddy stuff everywhere. I mean bugs and mud made it inside of main board and totally covered it.I was planning to trash it so I didn't bother to clean it. But after re-charge , plugging off the battery and plugging it on back again it worked like a clock. 

As a conclusion, you can safely use your Inmotion V8 in any rainy weather. It won't let you down.. until you get a flat tire, then it will let you down and make you question your life when you are trying to change it.

On 5/26/2018 at 3:50 PM, Fastmike said:

BTW, I am very concern by Bobwheel's comment "yes, you can ride in the rain in couples of minutes, but not too long time. ". That is a big surprize to me that had the idea wheel can be the replacement for motorcycle or other gaz/electric vehicles. What is the point to offer 50 miles range if you cannot come back if rain starts? Call for a cab? Wait hours or days for it to stop?

I have seen a bunch of people using other brand wheels daily under heavy rain, more carefully for sure, but able to commute every day bertween home and office, whatever the forecast is.

Is that not the case with InMotion products?

Thanks

I wouldn't know of a single instance where rain has made a wheel fail (mayyyyyybe except for the GT16, which has a very open design). Technically, the wheels aren't "waterproof" because that would mean the manufacturers would have to systematically care about that. In reality... well, I wouldn't know of a single instance where rain has made a wheel fail. And Inmotions have the best non-waterproof waterproofing of any wheels.

So ride until YOU want to stop because you're getting too cold and wet. Wheel won't be a problem. There's a tiny residual risk (just like for cutouts due to hardware failure) but you just have to live with that.

See also this thread:

• 1 month later...

Hi,
Why MAX Load 75 KG is written on the tire?
It'is under 120 kg of user weight and 20,6 kg of the V10F: 140,6kg on the tires is dangerous?

Tire Size is 16in * 2.5in
Did Inmotion test V10F and a 54,4 kg man to have the 75 kg max tire load?

Thanks regards,

5 hours ago, YonWoue said:

Hi,
Why MAX Load 75 KG is written on the tire?
It'is under 120 kg of user weight and 20,6 kg of the V10F: 140,6kg on the tires is dangerous?

Tire Size is 16in * 2.5in
Did Inmotion test V10F and a 54,4 kg man to have the 75 kg max tire load?

Thanks regards,

Don't worry about it. All the wheels are using similar tires and it's ok. They are using small bicycle tires and there are no tires developed specifically for EUCs. 

On 8/3/2018 at 5:58 PM, UniVehje said:

Don't worry about it. All the wheels are using similar tires and it's ok. They are using small bicycle tires and there are no tires developed specifically for EUCs. 

Except possibly the tire on the Z series.

Archived