how wide tires could you fit in a gw tesla?

If you are going to swap tires on a tesla then the youtube videos are useless.

They take it apart more than is needed.

If you can peel the tape off under the control board then you don't need to take the board out or touch the motor wires or battery on the right side. In fact you don't even need to remove the foot rests.

You just take the left battery out after disconnecting it from the right. Then proceed to split the case and swap the tire with the left half off.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

What was pointed out earlier was that 16” x 2.5” tires are usually 64-305, but the CST C-1488 in question is instead a 62-305. If someone is selling a 64-305 C-1488, it is most probably a typo.

9 hours ago, alcatraz said:

mrelwood is right. There is no 64-305 C-1488. That perticular model in 2.5in is stamped with the odd number 62-305.

Thanks for the clarification. It's a bit confusing searching for CST C-1488 because, as I said before, the default model seems to be 16x3.0 (76-305) and all the default 16x2.5 seem to be 64-305 rarely mentioning 62-305.

I'll contact some CST sellers to see if I can order a C-1488 62-305 cheaper than the $22 one I found on ebay as I cannot find anything on Aliexpress with these keywords.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, euccommuter said:

I cannot find anything on Aliexpress with these keywords.

For some reason Ali sellers often don’t even mention the manufacturer or brand. So it’s up to the buyer to learn how the tire looks like, and hunt for the correct photo while searching universally for a ”16 x 2.5 tire”.

Asking any CST seller for the correct size is a good idea though, and has mostly worked well for me. ”Kingstar_cn” (or something like that) was an especially good seller, and available to source a few tires not available elsewhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alcatraz said:

There are too many tires for these sellers to put up for sale. You need to find a seller with low shipping rate and ask them for that tire, should be the best deal.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Asking any CST seller for the correct size is a good idea though, and has mostly worked well for me. ”Kingstar_cn” (or something like that) was an especially good seller, and available to source a few tires not available elsewhere.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll try to find some tire sellers on Aliexpress this weekend and ask them about the CST C-1488 62-305. I'll share a link here with the cheapest option for those also interested :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide you guys with a 200km update. The tire is silent and the tesla is a lot of fun to ride with if. The more you ride the better the clearance. Now I'm curious to hit some wet roads so I can hear how much noise there is now.

Thanks for sharing a source for the tire. I guess you only need to be careful about overpaying, and getting a bad inner tube.

Remember, when mounting it's a tight fit. Use talcum powder to be able to position the tire perfectly in the middle. Then you can clear the shell when inflating. And see to the trueness of the rim etc. Expect to ride slow for 100km before using the tire like normal. It's best if roads are dry and solid.

27 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Doesn't matter what innertube you use as long as it holds air. 

I definitely wouldn’t ride on a 2.125” tube in a 2.5” tire. The difference in the tube circumference is after all about 1.1”. That’s roughly 15% more stretch than it’s designed for.

• Like 1

Depends what it's made of. Some stretch some don't.

It takes a good while to replace a tube on the tesla. If you don't want to take it all apart again then get the right tube.

I ended up using an older 2.125 tube. 200km later it's fine. That doesn't mean they are all ok. If it stretches without tearing, it's ok. So use your own good judgement.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, alcatraz said:

This was unexpected.

The CST C-1488 16x2.5 62x305 tire fit my tesla with only a very very slight rub, without any modification. As the tire is brand new I expect the first few km will shave off the "hair" and make it completely silent. I'm going to ride it and report back. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Obviously I wouldn't recommend taking this tire new directly to high speed (as the tire stretches a bit). With age it should stretch too which could be a problem.

The first pic shows the same CST C-1488 tire but 2.125in and used.

IMG_20200207_153754.jpg

Hi Alacatraz,

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I have a Tesla (only 35miles on it in a year... crackdown on PEVs in London last year). I wanted to get a wider tire for greater reassurance for riding in all conditions an road debris types. Knowing this can be done means I'll stick with my Tesla.

Are you able to feel a discernible difference/improvement in traction?

I'll probably pick up a tire and keep it on ice (not literally) although tires perish too, right. This way I will continue to ride circa 25mph on the original wheel and increase experience with a view to one day switching out for the 2.5.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guy just wanted to give a updated I just finished installing the 2.5 inch on my Tesla v2 . I didn’t think it was gonna be but the hardest part was removing the old tire from the rim, I think that took me longer than putting it back together. I rode it for like 2 mins out side and it does rub alittle bit I have the psi at 40 and I weight 240. I’m hoping I get the same results as alcatraz and the sound goes away. If it doesn’t I also have a 2.25inch tire I will put on. Any ways I feel like its soooo much easier to balance on this tire definitely a upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 3:02 PM, Bperez said:

I found it, ebay seller Himm6776 has it. His ebay says its out of stock but send him a message.  And ask him for Cst-c-1488 62-305. He has it I ordered mine yesterday

Hi, Have you got a link? 

When I search for the seller I don't get any results returned on ebay.

Thanks

• Like 1

Bperez here in the group installed the tire but didn't end up using it. It seems to me it wasn't centered. You could hear one loud scrape every revolution. 

I've ridden my tesla on the 2.5in C1488 for 500km now and it's 100% silent. 

The tire needs to be centered to within a MILLIMETERS precision. Get ready to fiddle with that. And the first 50km are going to be a little noisy as the hair and outmost layer gets taken off. After that it will quickly become 99% quiet.

If you hear one loud scrape every revolution the tire is NOT centered. Deflate, reposition and inflate again. When you hear light EVEN scraping for a full revolution, that's when you've found the right position.

You just need to get it right once. I haven't touched my tesla since the install.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

Bperez here in the group installed the tire but didn't end up using it. It seems to me it wasn't centered. You could hear one loud scrape every revolution. 

I've ridden my tesla on the 2.5in C1488 for 500km now and it's 100% silent. 

The tire needs to be centered to within a MILLIMETERS precision. Get ready to fiddle with that. And the first 50km are going to be a little noisy as the hair and outmost layer gets taken off. After that it will quickly become 99% quiet.

If you hear one loud scrape every revolution the tire is NOT centered. Deflate, reposition and inflate again. When you hear light EVEN scraping for a full revolution, that's when you've found the right position.

You just need to get it right once. I haven't touched my tesla since the install.

I can't find a supplier though!

The main reason I want to upgrade is I am nervous of slipping on road debris. 

I'm currently practicing in the underground car park where I live (staying home people). When I do smaller circumference turns or slightly more sharper/aggressive turns I feel worried it's going to slip and thus I tense up.

Maybe it's just in my mind.

On 5/10/2020 at 2:47 AM, alcatraz said:

A narrower tire gives you more traction on slippery surfaces. The tire mod is primarily for comfort.

That's not really true right?

If the slippery surface is i.e. ICE, the rubber blend makes the biggest difference (or better yet spikes)

If the slippery surface is SAND/GRAVEL, thread pattern (knobby rules) makes the biggest difference

If slippery surface is water and you don't slip due to water planing (no chance on EUC), thread pattern makes the biggest difference.

I don't see a single case where a narrower tyre gives more traction on slippery surface with a EUC, please explain what i have missed @alcatraz :)

Thanks for the tip on the tyre

boogieman

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, rinzler said:

I can't find a supplier though!

The main reason I want to upgrade is I am nervous of slipping on road debris. 

I'm currently practicing in the underground car park where I live (staying home people). When I do smaller circumference turns or slightly more sharper/aggressive turns I feel worried it's going to slip and thus I tense up.

Maybe it's just in my mind.

Tesla version 1.2 with a totally blank tyre (sides still have some pattern left) in the dry.

Unless you are riding on oil soaked tarmac OR polished cement (like the ones in parking garages sometimes) OR SAND (or sandy surface) don't worry. If you ride on ordinary tarmac with a few small stones (not covered with crap like banana peels or oily stuff) you can turn until you scrape the pedals in 35-40km/h without slip. It WILL WOBBLE at that speed, but not slip at least not if you ride in normal temperatures for rubber (aka no sub zero temps, preferably around 15-25 degrees C°)

Since you say CAR PARK, it could mean polished cement and that is more slippery. You normally hear the rubber squeal before it slips :)

Gear up as per riding style and safety demands. 

Helmet with cheek protection (cheek especially if you are not a motor bike rider used to falling sideways, but just gonfornit anyway..i did, have never fell on my face but the day i do i will thank myself), elbows, knees and hands (=joints and skin protection as they allways take a hit).

Preferably also hips ("hip cookie" i get at every fall and on hard cement you could get cracks) and toes are good to protect with toe shell shoes (I just cracked my big toe as per x-ray, between the pedal and a metal pole... got it taped up so i can walk...but riding is more comfortable...at least as long as I don't hit the toe LOL)

Edited by Boogieman