how wide tires could you fit in a gw tesla?

I'm waiting on  your feedback about the 2.5" tire on the Tesla...
If it fit, it'll be my next Wheel! ?

@Shad0z : What is the Kenda tire you had ordered?

Edited by cbgti
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, cbgti said:

I'm waiting on  your feedback about the 2.5" tire on the Tesla...
If it fit, it'll be my next Wheel! ?

@Shad0z : What is the Kenda tire you had ordered?

basically the same as the one on the ks16 but 2.50 instead of 2.125

and as i can see the tire is in erlanger, kentucky

estimated delivery is... 17 of may  :I

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cbgti said:

Ok.

You have to wait a bit... ?

4" is too large (and heavy) for an EUC... 2.5" is a good compromise.

yeah. I thinkthe ninebot one z is basically a good looking wheel eith a pointless 4 inch tire. Euc are supposed to be nimble and not big fat and hard to turn. But im looking foward to my new tire.. But then it will be my 4th time opening my tesla.. and i got it 12 jan

• Upvote 2

On 4/27/2018 at 10:01 AM, Shad0z said:

i have tried too many tires on my tesla :D 

first the original. Then the 16" 2.125 tire

and then a mad mike 2.125 tire. thats the one i have currently. it went from being offroad tire to semi slick in 2 weeks so i need to change that one

and now im waiting for my 2.50 kenda tire. It will arrive in a few weeks.

so when it arrives. We will see if it fits ;) 

Wow...you might have the record for Tesla tire changes. Please take a video when you install the 2.50 Kendra tire.

• Upvote 1

so i got my kenda 16x 2.50 tire...

it doesnt fit  

so it doesnt fit but i saw another guys post who made a 2.50 tire fit in his tesla. 

IMG_1137.jpg

can it be something with the numbers on the side? the stock tire is 57-305 but the new kenda 2.50 tire said something like 67-305

and it also seemed to have a larger diameter not on the rim but the outer edge of the tire so it wouldnt fit. i just thought 2.50 tire would be more wide. but this one also had wider diameter. but it was still 16". i mean. it fit. but it fit so perfectly that there was not even a little gap

2.50 tire did not fit my tesla D:

17 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i just thought 2.50 tire would be more wide. but this one also had wider diameter. but it was still 16". i mean. it fit. but it fit so perfectly that there was not even a little gap

2.50 tire did not fit my tesla D:

Wow ... yeah, that's a fraction of a hair clearance.  Is it even ride-able?

1 minute ago, Charles McLean said:

Wow ... yeah, that's a fraction of a hair clearance.  Is it even ride-able?

no. i mean it takes effort to even turn it. so i just installed my previous kenda 2.125 tire. much better than the mad mike tire phew. that was a pile of garbage.

• Upvote 1

Bad new...  ?

I think I'll buy a MSuper3S, it'll be more confortable...
Maybe it's possible to make 6 new holes in the forks to deplace the shell just a bit...

Edited by cbgti
bad clic...
  • Like 1

We can see that the diameter is a problem, is the width (clearance between the side of the tire and the shell) a problem too with your new 2.5" tire? ?

1 hour ago, cbgti said:

We can see that the diameter is a problem, is the width (clearance between the side of the tire and the shell) a problem too with your new 2.5" tire? ?

the 2.5 tire is too big for the shell. It is flush against the edge. 0% clearance when installed

unless you grind the shell. but im waiting for a response from another guy who made it fit

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, m.s.g. said:

@Shad0z, did you ever get a response from the guy who made the 2.5" tire fit his tesla? 

i did, he sent me some photos. its not that well done. it could probably be done, but its very experimental. and i ended up giving up on this. also since i got "hypnotised" by the msuper X, so im seling my tesla so i wont be carving the shell out and filling it with spray foam, since im planning to pimp it replace parts. and sell it

A tire have three sizes normally:
If we go by metrics:

50/50-16
50/xx-xx = Width of tyre 50mm
xx/50-xx = Height of tyre in percent of the width = 50% of width = 0.5*50 = 25mm
xx/xx-16 = rim diameter 16 inch (excluding height of tyre)

For some reason those inch measurements on the tesla dont include tyre height so You would have to measure and ask to get the correct "rolling diameter".
For sure there is a lot of space width wise - I measured 73mm (=2.87") towards the plastic skirt.
The 2.125 wide tyre meassured 55mm at the wides place without load (= 2.16 inches) so there is about 0.5" inch leeway width wise if you expect the tyre to widen a bit as you step up and apply pressure on it.

Rotational diameter is the tricky part.
If You increase it - it can touch the inside (like yours did) but you will get (in theory) higher top speed if the tesla limits it (which we know it does not) but lower acceleration.
Based on that, i would go for a low profile wheel for two reasons:
1. More acceleration and still likely enough top speed (depends on of cut out is amp based or rotation speed based)
2. A LOT stiffer wheel side ways. If you can get tubeless corded walls (like a motor bike) the ride would likely be extremely agile but bumps would hurt a lot more due to added sidewall stiffness :)

I will for sure search the web when its time to change. I allready expeience wobble from my Tesla and if that stays when i am "semi experienced" i will get another stiffer, wider tyre.
Though I dont want a tyre that is to wide for the rim as that is not good for stability either. 2.5" inch would probably be a good choice - about 17% wider.
Question is what is recomended for THIS RIM. Gotway might have just smashed on the cheapest tyre they could find and be good with it  (thinking of their build quality overall) - so i will google up rim width and recomended tyre...for a motor bike likely as that is the closest resemblance.

When i do I hope i remember to post here :)

Edited by Boogieman

2 hours ago, Boogieman said:

A tire have three sizes normally:
If we go by metrics:

50/50-16
50/xx-xx = Width of tyre 50mm
xx/50-xx = Height of tyre in percent of the width = 50% of width = 0.5*50 = 25mm
xx/xx-16 = rim diameter 16 inch (excluding height of tyre)

For some reason those inch measurements on the tesla dont include tyre height so You would have to measure and ask to get the correct "rolling diameter".
For sure there is a lot of space width wise - I measured 73mm (=2.87") towards the plastic skirt.
The 2.125 wide tyre meassured 55mm at the wides place without load (= 2.16 inches) so there is about 0.5" inch leeway width wise if you expect the tyre to widen a bit as you step up and apply pressure on it.

Rotational diameter is the tricky part.
If You increase it - it can touch the inside (like yours did) but you will get (in theory) higher top speed if the tesla limits it (which we know it does not) but lower acceleration.
Based on that, i would go for a low profile wheel for two reasons:
1. More acceleration and still likely enough top speed (depends on of cut out is amp based or rotation speed based)
2. A LOT stiffer wheel side ways. If you can get tubeless corded walls (like a motor bike) the ride would likely be extremely agile but bumps would hurt a lot more due to added sidewall stiffness :)

I will for sure search the web when its time to change. I allready expeience wobble from my Tesla and if that stays when i am "semi experienced" i will get another stiffer, wider tyre.
Though I dont want a tyre that is to wide for the rim as that is not good for stability either. 2.5" inch would probably be a good choice - about 17% wider.
Question is what is recomended for THIS RIM. Gotway might have just smashed on the cheapest tyre they could find and be good with it  (thinking of their build quality overall) - so i will google up rim width and recomended tyre...for a motor bike likely as that is the closest resemblance.

When i do I hope i remember to post here :)

the cst tire gotway put on their wheels is actually of pretty good quality. It needs to withstand long use and fast speeds. Otherwise you would need to do monthly tire changes o_O you have tocarve out the shell a lot to fit a 2.5 mine was perfectly flush. Unable to move a slight bit. So i just installed my other tire. Can you also post if you find out what rim it is? Im looking for a place to buy one. To replace the one on mine

Found a page on rolling diameter and tyre size in inches.
The interesting part is in the end of the list - im not sure the 2.125 diameter is the same on ours but could allways compare and see what fits.
2,4inch seem to have 14mm bigger diameter than 2.125 - not sure if that is to big though for the inner shell?

•                                                      Diameter of                   Circumference
    Rim                          Tire             Rim (iso)  Tire  Wheel  wheel

16inch  Brompton  2.125 inch  349   54.00  457.00  1435.71

16inch  Brompton  2.20 inch  349   55.88  460.76  1447.52

16inch  Brompton  2.25 inch  349   57.15  463.30  1455.50

16inch  Brompton  2.30 inch  349   58.42  465.84  1463.48

16inch  Brompton  2.35 inch  349   59.69  468.38  1471.46

16inch  Brompton  2.40 inch  349   60.96  470.92  1479.44

16inch  Brompton  2.50 inch  349   63.50  476.00  1495.40

16inch  Brompton  2.60 inch  349   66.04  481.08  1511.36

Full list

http://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math

Edited by Boogieman

23 hours ago, Boogieman said:

For some reason those inch measurements on the tesla dont include tyre height

That's bicycle vs motorcycle/car standards. 16" EUCs have a 12" rim, so it fits a 16" bicycle tire or a 12" motorcycle tire. Why the Brompton list has it at 14", I have no clue. I have 12" motorcycle winter tires installed in my 16" Airwheel A3.

A bicycle tire is pretty much like a magician's tube shaped balloon. If you increase the width, you increase the height as well.

On 6/30/2018 at 1:28 AM, mrelwood said:

That's bicycle vs motorcycle/car standards. 16" EUCs have a 12" rim, so it fits a 16" bicycle tire or a 12" motorcycle tire. Why the Brompton list has it at 14", I have no clue. I have 12" motorcycle winter tires installed in my 16" Airwheel A3.

A bicycle tire is pretty much like a magician's tube shaped balloon. If you increase the width, you increase the height as well.

So you are saying that bicycle tyres are not measured by the rim, but at the outer diameter. That's odd. Two standards :)

So the tesla is actually a12" diameter rim.

Good to know, thanks :)