Inmotion App for Android

Unventor

I hope to encourage @Bobwheel and Inmotion/Solowheel to share more info on the new V10 gen. app for android. Of course, some development updates/ info and expected release date would be nice to know too.

As for features, can someone confirm if this app will support any tope of smart watch/wear type to show speed and maybe even a horn/bell option. The last part is high on my interest list due to road legality/ traffic laws. 

5 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I hope to encourage @Bobwheel and Inmotion/Solowheel to share more info on the new V10 gen. app for android. Of course, some development updates/ info and expected release date would be nice to know too.

As for features, can someone confirm if this app will support any tope of smart watch/wear type to show speed and maybe even a horn/bell option. The last part is high on my interest list due to road legality/ traffic laws. 

I think I saw something saying that the app is going to be compatible with the V8, V5, and V3 as well as the V10. I also saw text somewhere about using the app without touching your phone...so maybe your dream will come true! As a Wheellog user with a Pebble Watch  I have found getting speed and battery data on my wrist invaluable for riding my V8. If manufacturers can get their act together on their base phone apps then adding watch support should become their next priority.

29 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I think I saw something saying that the app is going to be compatible with the V8, V5, and V3 as well as the V10. I also saw text somewhere about using the app without touching your phone...so maybe your dream will come true! As a Wheellog user with a Pebble Watch  I have found getting speed and battery data on my wrist invaluable for riding my V8. If manufacturers can get their act together on their base phone apps then adding watch support should become their next priority.

I don't seem to be able to get wheellog to communicate with my V8 for some reason. 

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

I don't seem to be able to get wheellog to communicate with my V8 for some reason. 

Is your phone running Android Oreo? If so then I too have lost the ability to establish a new connection since I reinstalled Wheelog after I updated the OS from Nougat to Oreo. It was fine while the connection was cached in Wheellog from before the OS upgrade but initiating a search after reinstalling the app post Oreo upgrade is an issue. It just doesn't show up. I've had this on two different phones running Oreo. I've been in discussion with the forum member who added InMotion support and I think he is looking into it but his wheel is in the middle of a winter battery upgrade project right now so testing is problematic. I intend to look over the code too but I'm not an phone app developer and I've not used Java for quite some time so any progress I make will be sloooooowwww!

What version of Wheellog are you using (you should have downloaded the APK from the Wheellog thread on this forum as the Play Store version is old), and what is your phone make, model, and OS version number. I'll pass the details along.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

What version of Wheellog are you using (you should have downloaded the APK from the Wheellog thread on this forum as the Play Store version is old), and what is your phone make, model, and OS version number. I'll pass the details along.

Yes I got updated to 8.0 not that long ago. I am using a Samsung Note 8. 

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

New update with live stats and support for V10 is live in the App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inmotion-scv-bluetooth-version/id891233812?mt=8

@eddiemoy to clarify - this update came out a few days after the very first owners started receiving their new wheels - while it certainly would have been nice had it released in perfect sync, perhaps you’re not aware we provided new owners with a pre-release version of the app so they could tweak their settings until official release today. 

So @Jeffrey Scott Will any news about an new Android 8.0/8.1 version?

I still can't communicat with my Inmotion v8 after Android update. Samsung push the problem to Inmotion/3.party and Inmotion are still dead silent about any standpoint or update news. 

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

So @Jeffrey Scott Will any news about an new Android 8.0/8.1 version?

I still can't communicat with my Inmotion v8 after Android update. Samsung push the problem to Inmotion/3.party and Inmotion are still dead silent about any standpoint or update news. 

It seems to be taking longer for approval on the Play store, but I will ask around to see if I can find out the ETA. It was my understanding that it would be up by now, but let me know if you'd like to try the pre-release.

I would love to test this. My current 6.8 version will still not see my Inmotion V8. So I have no status or control over settings.

So I am currently holding off to push my training and riding in arrears I have not been in due to I can see if it overheat and lag better power use than batter led on the wheel.

I just got this link from my Inmotion app:

https://file.imscv.com/app/2018/05/11/inMotion-release.apk_7.0.apk

It is however difficult to complete download. As usual network issues and very low bandwidth. 

Well so much for new version....I still can't see my Inmotion V8 with app or Bluetooth menu on my Samsung Note8.

Samsung only pushes the communication issues away with other part have to update their device.

So far this remains unresolved. I hope Inmotion  or my dealer can come up with a fix or workaround.@Jeffrey Scott Will @Justina

45 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well so much for new version....I still can't see my Inmotion V8 with app or Bluetooth menu on my Samsung Note8.

Samsung only pushes the communication issues away with other part have to update their device.

So far this remains unresolved. I hope Inmotion  or my dealer can come up with a fix or workaround.@Jeffrey Scott Will @Justina

This is a disappointment.

I think this is a code issue with the various apps rather than something with Oreo. A number of breaking Bluetooth changes were introduced with Oreo and I think one of them is likely the culprit. Too many different devices/manufacturers on Oreo with the same issue for it to be manufacturer specific IMO. As more and more people move to Oreo this is going to become a bigger issue. I still hope to take a look at the Wheellog code to see if I can come up with anything.

The InMotion wheels have an odd connection method. The wheel is not visible on normal Bluetooth device searches, only in apps that are looking for something specific the wheel is transmitting. I also note that pre-oreo-update cached connections in these apps still work. It is only this search stage where we initially find the wheel and then cache the connection that seems to have the problem in Oreo.

• Upvote 1

I'm a newbie here and in the world of EUCs in general. I'm pleased to see the robust discussion here, as folks explore this new mode of getting around.

I need some help with the new Inmotion app.

I just took delivery of a V10F this week. I've tried downloading the Inmotion app in several iterations, including the new one today. Every time, Malwarebytes tells me over and over that the Inmotion app is suspect. Has anyone else had a problem with the Inmotion app in this way?  Either: a) it really does have  malicious code; or b) it is simply a quirky, not-ready-for-primetime app as I've read about  on this forum. 

Android on a Samsung S8+

Thanks for your help.

Edited by brainiarB
For clarity and to add phone information.
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, Unventor said:

I just got this link from my Inmotion app:

https://file.imscv.com/app/2018/05/11/inMotion-release.apk_7.0.apk

It is however difficult to complete download. As usual network issues and very low bandwidth. 

Hi man, here's a download link for InMotion app apk (versione 7.0)
https://mega.nz/#!ILwRxCDL!5dp8BTopzU0eMZ2GF-QnaQdFVvg4hF3WjUry1VvjdVo

Edited by LILLO

6 hours ago, brainiarB said:

I'm a newbie here and in the world of EUCs in general. I'm pleased to see the robust discussion here, as folks explore this new mode of getting around.

I need some help with the new Inmotion app.

I just took delivery of a V10F this week. I've tried downloading the Inmotion app in several iterations, including the new one today. Every time, Malwarebytes tells me over and over that the Inmotion app is suspect. Has anyone else had a problem with the Inmotion app in this way?  Either: a) it really does have  malicious code; or b) it is simply a quirky, not-ready-for-primetime app as I've read about  on this forum. 

Android on a Samsung S8+

Thanks for your help.

yeah similar here and i have samsung 9+. i get these samsung licensing list of mumbo jumbo.

just checked my phone and i guess the download did go thru. i updated to version 7.02

Edited by novazeus

@Bobwheel @Jeffrey Scott Will

Do you know of a way to read out a Bluetooth Mac address on Inmotion V8 since I still can't get my Samsung Note 8 to communicate with my Inmotion V8.

I got a long number from an IPhone from the Inmotion App but that does not make any sense to me. Since I can't get the Inmotion App working I thought to test wheellog but I need a BT Mac address to do that. (Note: I am running app version 7.0.2 but still no joy).

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

@Bobwheel @Jeffrey Scott Will

Do you know of a way to read out a Bluetooth Mac address on Inmotion V8 since I still can't get my Samsung Note 8 to communicate with my Inmotion V8.

I got a long number from an IPhone from the Inmotion App but that does not make any sense to me. Since I can't get the Inmotion App working I thought to test wheellog but I need a BT Mac address to do that. (Note: I am running app version 7.0.2 but still no joy).

I've not tried it yet but I downloaded BLE Scanner from the Google Play store to try to get the MAC. The screenshot shows MAC addresses in the scan results. Try it out and let me know, or I can try when I get home.

Otherwise, @Master Blaster said he used his Windows Computer to get the MAC...but I'm not sure what on his Windows Computer.

Edited by WARPed1701D

20 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I've not tried it yet but I downloaded BLE Scanner from the Google Play store to try to get the MAC. The screenshot shows MAC addresses in the scan results. Try it out and let me know, or I can try when I get home.

Otherwise, @Master Blaster said he used his Windows Computer to get the MAC...but I'm not sure what on his Windows Computer.

From what I can gather I got a UUID when having a co-worker helping me connecting to the wheel. Could it be that simple that this is an UUID that Oreo do not listen for anymore?

It startes like: 0162e485-a3e8-efa9-ea32 I left out the last section of numbers (last 12 digits of HEX)

25 minutes ago, Unventor said:

From what I can gather I got a UUID when having a co-worker helping me connecting to the wheel. Could it be that simple that this is an UUID that Oreo do not listen for anymore?

It startes like: 0162e485-a3e8-efa9-ea32 I left out the last section of numbers (last 12 digits of HEX)

This is the changelog for Oreo and Bluetooth.

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/oreo/android-8.0-changes#bt

No mention of UUID's but several changes to the potential size of a returned data array. If an assumption is being made on the size of the result of the scanRecord.getBytes() method then maybe things will fall apart (a bad loop etc). I've yet to look into this within the WheelLog code to see if it is relevant.

With my Windows laptop I simply went into Settings, Bluetooth, and scanned for available devices. I was able to determine which device was the V10 by turning it off and on and seeing the V10 pop off the list and then pop back up. The device name contained the MAC address.......mine turned out to be 3ca3080a2b17......Wheel Log wants caps and colons..... 3C:A3:08:0A:2B:17

So look for 12 digits in the name of the device.

My problem with the Android version 7.0 of the InMotion App is that none of the three Android phones I have tried will see the V10F while searching for the Wheel. However the Apple version of the new InMotion App finds it just fine but it’s listed in the search as “Unknown” instead of V10.

The newest version of the Wheel Log app on Android did connect to my V10 using the MAC address edit function as evidenced by the connection beep from the wheel and the Bluetooth connection icon showing up next to the illuminated battery level indicator on the wheel, but the connected Wheel Log program would not show data such as speed, battery level, or temp, etc.

So I guess I’ll be using an Apple device until InMotion gets the Android connection issues ironed out.

Note: when I scanned for Bluetooth devices on computer the other Bluetooth radio used for music/speakers did show up as Unicycle Audio as it was supposed to, so it was the BLE 4.0 radio that displayed a name that contained the Mac

48 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

This is the changelog for Oreo and Bluetooth.

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/oreo/android-8.0-changes#bt

No mention of UUID's but several changes to the potential size of a returned data array. If an assumption is being made on the size of the result of the scanRecord.getBytes() method then maybe things will fall apart (a bad loop etc). I've yet to look into this within the WheelLog code to see if it is relevant.

I kinda forgot if Inmotion use SSL or TLS to secure connect. But first thing that struck me is SSLv3 is not supported anymore. Now I am by far from Android App maker or programmer. 

All I do is help people with printer and cameras and installing these. This is where I find some protocols are disabled/disallowed in different OSs so we had to update firmware and drivers to follow the changes to "outside" world. I can't help thinking this is maybe the case here too. I have yet to find a way to spot my device/Inmotion mac address. 

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

With my Windows laptop I simply went into Settings, Bluetooth, and scanned for available devices. I was able to determine which device was the V10 by turning it off and on and seeing the V10 pop off the list and then pop back up. The device name contained the MAC address.......mine turned out to be 3ca3080a2b17......Wheel Log wants caps and colons..... 3C:A3:08:0A:2B:17

So look for 12 digits in the name of the device.

My problem with the Android version 7.0 of the InMotion App is that none of the three Android phones I have tried will see the V10F while searching for the Wheel. However the Apple version of the new InMotion App finds it just fine but it’s listed in the search as “Unknown” instead of V10.

The newest version of the Wheel Log app on Android did connect to my V10 using the MAC address edit function as evidenced by the connection beep from the wheel and the Bluetooth connection icon showing up next to the illuminated battery level indicator on the wheel, but the connected Wheel Log program would not show data such as speed, battery level, or temp, etc.

So I guess I’ll be using an Apple device until InMotion gets the Android connection issues ironed out.

Note: when I scanned for Bluetooth devices on computer the other Bluetooth radio used for music/speakers did show up as Unicycle Audio as it was supposed to, so it was the BLE 4.0 radio that displayed a name that contained the Mac

Well I managed to post a device on my MS Surface Pro 4 laptop. It list a device as Unknown until I make a connection using default BT pin, then it shift to Bluetooth LE Device and a number starts with 50f14.....I mod this as you said but I can't get Wheellog to connect to this Mac address. I myself do not have an iPhone but on my Windows Mobilephone  950xl I can't verify what device I am connection to as it just list it as unknown here too not other details.

I can understand if you release an App before a OS is released, but when you update/upgrade an App more than +6 months after OS release, I do think they should make sure this would run on high volume phones. So far I am betting more an more bugged by I cant get this to work anymore. I guess that something is failing since the App is yet to be cleared to GoolgePlay in it latest version build 7.0.x

Found they change data of the file folder at IMSCV, but it does not state what the subnumber this build is:

https://file.imscv.com/app/2018/05/13/inMotion_7.0.apk

51 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I kinda forgot if Inmotion use SSL or TLS to secure connect. But first thing that struck me is SSLv3 is not supported anymore. Now I am by far from Android App maker or programmer. 

That's completely irrelevant. SSL or TLS are what's used to connect to web servers. Has got nothing to do with Bluetooth.

21 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I can understand if you release an App before a OS is released, but when you update/upgrade an App more than +6 months after OS release, I do think they should make sure this would run on high volume phones. So far I am betting more an more bugged by I cant get this to work anymore. I guess that something is failing since the App is yet to be cleared to GoolgePlay in it latest version build 7.0.x

On Android it's not always as simple as that. 

I don't do Android (iOS developer myself) but my colleague who does is living through eternal maintenance hell because there will always be devices / OS's on which it doesn't work for some unknown reason. So it's quite possible it works on Android 8, but not on all phones.

Also, especially if you make free software, you can't expect an amateur developer to buy 15 different types of phones to test his software on. There are testing farms which allow you to rent time/devices/... online, but in this case, where a real device (aka the Inmotion V10) is needed to test this is simply impossible.

• Upvote 1