The V8 and the heavy rider

Jerome

eWheels has the V8 at a tempting price. I get the feeling, however, that it might be problematic for my 245 lbs riding weight. I currently have a Ninebot one E+ and it does everything I want except a little more speed. I would like to cruise at 15 mph with no tiltup. Also a little more range than the 8.5 miles I can get commuting with the E+.  I have no problems climbing the hills I encounter on the 500w E+, so I was thinking the V8 with a  800w motor should at least do as well?? I get the feeling, however, that might not be the case? Jason? Any V8 riders out there at or near my weight?

• Like 3

The V8 would certainly be an upgrade over the E+ but not a huge one. I weigh about 170lb with my backpack and get around 23 miles from full to empty (shutdown) battery (flat terrain). Speedyfeet did a video review of the V8 (search YouTube) including hills and trail use and got about 17 miles and weighs in at 180lb I think. If you get 8.5 miles from the E+ I expect you'd get around about 12-15 miles per charge with the V8.

I don't know what eWheels offer is on the V8 but if the KS16S isn't much more then I'd look towards that instead for more motor and battery headroom.

Edit: Hmm I see the 16S is $400 more than the now discounted V8. In that case if your budget aligns with the V8 then it is a solid wheel. Just know that at your weight any wheel with a weaker motor increases risk of a fall. If saving for a few more months is an option then consider doing so to give you a nicer spec jump.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

The V8 would certainly be an upgrade over the E+ but not a huge one. I weigh about 170lb with my backpack and get around 23 miles from full to empty (shutdown) battery (flat terrain). Speedyfeet did a video review of the V8 (search YouTube) including hills and trail use and got about 17 miles I think. He weighs in at 180lb I think. If you get 8.5 miles from the E+ I expect you'd get around about 12-15 miles per charge with the V8.

I don't know what eWheels offer is on the V8 but if the KS16S isn't much more then I'd look towards that instead for more motor and battery headroom.

Edit: Hmm I see the 16S is $400 more than the now discounted V8. In that case if your budget aligns with the V8 then it is a solid wheel. Just know that at your weight any wheel with a weaker motor increases risk of a fall. If saving for a few more months is an option then consider doing so to give you a nicer spec jump.

I am committed to waiting to see what the Z6 and Z8 are like, especially price wise. I might have a long wait as probably Jason's order might only be for Z10s. The V10 and KS16S interest me, but I don't want to spend $1300 for a 16" wheel.  If I spend $1300 for a wheel it has to be 18". I suspect the Z6 will be less than $1300 and the Z8 $1300 -$1400, and the Z10 around $1600.  If the Z line disappoints, I suspect competition will drive down Tesla, KS16S prices to where I might pull the trigger. We shall see.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

If the NB1E+ is good enough for your use, the V8 should be as well, as it is more nominal power and more cells.

Maybe @Cloud can chime in here, as he had a good impression of the V8.

V8 will feel like a nice upgrade over ninebot 1e+ But probably will not feel like a dramatic upgrade to the mileage. When I tried it I liked its power and relative agility and I tried to test it a little bit over-leaning and overpowering and was pleasantly surprised - it felt that that 800w motor was stronger than the similarly rated motors from other brands. You might get some increase in mileage, but if your main goal is to get more miles, I would go a for a more substantial upgrade to the battery capacity as opposed to a marginal one.

in terms of the weight- I think I was around 215 when I rode it and if you are 245 you need to make sure the wheel has extra capacity to handle that. Do not exceed the max allowable weight and if possible try not to be at the upper limit either. The weight can have an immediate and long term effect on the wheels performance and operation - I suggest you go for an 18 incher that has a confirmed increased axle thickness and definitely more than 800w power motor to adequately take your weight with the accelerations and breaking 

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2018 at 1:42 PM, Jerome said:

eWheels has the V8 at a tempting price. I get the feeling, however, that it might be problematic for my 245 lbs riding weight. I currently have a Ninebot one E+ and it does everything I want except a little more speed. I would like to cruise at 15 mph with no tiltup. Also a little more range than the 8.5 miles I can get commuting with the E+.  I have no problems climbing the hills I encounter on the 500w E+, so I was thinking the V8 with a  800w motor should at least do as well?? I get the feeling, however, that might not be the case? Jason? Any V8 riders out there at or near my weight?

From EWheels web site

• What is recommended Rider weight of the Glide 3?
    Although the manufacturer has a maximum weight limit of 260lb, & it’s possible that someone of this weight can use the Wheel, if ridden conservatively, we cannot recommend the Glide 3/V8 for people who weigh in excess of 220lb. There are other model Wheels available with larger battery packs & more powerful motors which would be more suitable; please refer to the product comparison page for more information about alternatives.
  • https://www.ewheels.com/product/inmotion-v8/
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Your concerns were about the same as mine see my similar topic below.  I'm about 245 lbs all suited up right now although I have been slowly losing weight, maybe more like 240 now.  I bought the Glide 3 but I wish I had gotten a more powerful one maybe the 16s actually would be just enough without being too much more expensive.  My Glide 3 has not let me down so far but I am far from experienced and I have been riding it very conservatively after seeing the same things you have and some of the comments from more experienced Riders around here, like @The Fat Unicyclist.

I really want a 16x or 18 XL now with that 1600 wh battery!

I weigh 250lbs and ride very aggressively. I went through the same buyer's regret with my G3 once I was proficient with my abilities. Ironically after I obtained a V10 I found myself going back to my G3. I am content with riding 15-17mph while still having a smaller/lighter wheel with a functional trolley handle. I use my G3 in my daily commute so my needs are a bit different.

3 hours ago, Blueblade said:

More experienced riders around here, like @The Fat Unicyclist.

Personally, I would have just said, "old fart"!   :D

As a rider who always carries a (very heavy) emergency lunch, I have been pleasantly surprised with the KS-16S - with the speed limited to 35 km/h there is a solid amount of power available when you need it.

But the 18L changed things up a gear... The more powerful motor was awesome! But there were a few times I wondered whether there was enough power to drive that motor. Which made the 18XL just seem so sweet - having 50% more power available in parallel means that it just kicks ass!

Moving on... If we take that same recipe, cut the spokes out and make it a 16" wheel - the additional torque on the receiving end of that power - I CAN'T WAIT!!!   :shock2:

I want to call it now... Just as the 18XL turned out to be the wheel of the year for 2018, I believe that the 16X will be the wheel of the year for 2019!!!

As i am tall (1.87cm) and about 105kg i can say that i agree with @The Fat Unicyclist about a KS16S which i tried the other day we met with guys from Greece and i test it, also tested Z10 (on another level) and the V10F, along with a C+ (P firmware). I was 113kgs since last year and all the wheels i used had some kind of problem with my weight the worst part is that if you are more than the wheel can handle you may experience cutoffs and other dangerous things.

In my honest opinion, if you are more than 95kgs always go with the bigger wheel+motor. The KS16S is a great example of a well balanced wheel, great material quality software and price.

Edited by Lefteris
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, Lewmar68 said:

I weigh 260, my V8 has no issues. Just bought Kingsong 18 L which is much more suited to larger riders

Im in this same boat. I was thinking of canceling my order of the v8 and getting the kingsong. I am sure you have recieved it by now. What do you think of it?

On 4/4/2019 at 9:06 PM, gon2fast said:

I weigh 250lbs and ride very aggressively. I went through the same buyer's regret with my G3 once I was proficient with my abilities. Ironically after I obtained a V10 I found myself going back to my G3. I am content with riding 15-17mph while still having a smaller/lighter wheel with a functional trolley handle. I use my G3 in my daily commute so my needs are a bit different.

Do you still feel this way about the G3/v8?

18 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Yes sir. I think that it is the best short/medium distance commuter wheel on the market if you are not concerned with excessive top speed. I would be interested to see how the V8F performs with the larger motor. 

Really. Thats great to know. But I have cancelled my order and purchases a 18xl. It should be here tomorrow. I'm so excited lol. I know they are heavy but im pretty strong and it has the trolly. Have you rode any other wheels?Insert image from URL